MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Fuyu Persimmons

HannaLee

FREEZING PERSIMMONS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In China and Japan, persimmons are always dried, but in

the U.S. they are most commonly frozen. Wash, peel and

slice the fruit, remove the seeds and freeze the fruit in a

dry pack or honey pack with a little added lemon juice. Or,

puree the slices in a blender or food processor. Add 2

tablespoons of lemon juice per pint, then freeze. You can

also freeze persimmons whole and unskinned. Serve them

partially thawed over ice cream. Seal, label and freeze.

PERSIMMON FREEZER JAM

Ingredients

5 cups pureed persimmons 3 cups white sugar 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest 1 pinch ground nutmeg

Directions

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, combine persimmon puree, sugar, lemon juice, orange zest and nutmeg. Boil for 30 minutes, or until slightly thickened.

Pour into sterilized jars and seal. Store in the freezer.

We have a hachiya persimmon. In fact, I need to go pick enough for our use before the birds get to all of them! We freeze them whole and then defrost and mash and use in breads, cookies and cakes. You can mash them and pre measure them before freezing but if you wait to mash after they've been frozen, it's much easier. The skin just peels right off

I believe the type you have can be eaten straight off the tree like an apple when they are fully ripe.

we have small wild persimmons here. You have to catch them just right or you will get quite the shock or pucker..lol We open the seeds in the fall and predict the winter weather with the inside of the meat of the seed. It will either be a spoon, fork or knive.....spoon means wet weather, knife means cold and fork means good weather. I havent checked them yet this fall...

FREEZING PERSIMMONS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"In China and Japan, persimmons are always dried, ..."

Violet, I want to dehydrate some Fuyu persimmons I have. Not sure about how to slice them, should I peel them? Dried sounds better to me than freezing, since I love just eating them.

Cathy

Archived