MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wagons Ho COMMENTS

Mother

This is the place to make comments on all our Wagon's Ho threads. Notice that the threads have been pinned at the top of the forum so they will be easier to find.

We have been having a lot of fun and learning even more with our "first person" posting and we want to know that we've really appreciated others not jumping in with outside comments as this makes the story flow so much better.

We did think that some of you might welcome a place to make comments on those threads though. We're hoping for not only comments but suggestions for making it better, and even pointing out our BLOOPERS.

You can still choose to join us in our Journey. Go to the 'Preparation' thread and hop in there. Put yourself "in the moment", get your wagons packed and join us on the road. We've still got a ways to go so there's lots of time to get in on the fun and education.

:bighug2:

Edited by Mother
  • Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'all are far more brave than me. I'm so swamped with real life that I just don't have time to 'play' with y'all.

But...I am having an absolute blast reading y'alls journey. It's absolutely amazing the attention to detail you're sharing, and I know that at times things y'all write, cause me to think of something I might not have otherwise.

It's a good learning process, for particpants and/or readers.

Keep up the good work and imaginative writing.

Thanks for the place to comment. I have thoroughly enjoyed Wagon Ho. If I hadn't known it was an unreal adventure, I would have thought that you all had really formed a real wagon train and were actually on the trail. Keep up the good work. This has had everything from drama to humor, and it has turned into an quite an education.

I had about 4 PMs this morning that thought I was stretching reality of the trail life by serving pizza yesterday for lunch. Yes it is possible to make pizza on the trail we do it all the time camping. The trick is to make personal pan size pizzas using a small iron skillet fry your crust. It will not be a deep dish that is for sure. But thin and crsipy. Put your toppings on (if you top it with meat cook your meat first) and stick it your camp stove to melt. I actually own two small skillets IRL just for this. We are little more liberal with our cooking because with 3 boys we didn't do hotel rooms when on vacation. We camped in the moutains, at the beach, at the lake and at the river. I learned to cook just about anything on the camp stove and in the camp oven. I have a cook book that I made with recipes that my family likes just for camping.

Camping Pizza

Pizza crust already made up (I make mine up and freeze it in small balls about the size of a lemon this make the perfect size pizza because it will rise when it thaws)

Grated cheese (this freezes well also)

meat(the trick is to cook your meat if you use ground beef or sausage;however, my guys love peppoeroni which is already cooked and ready to eat.

prepared pizza sauce or chunky speghatti sauce (I usaually buy Hunts Garlic and Herb pizza sauce in the can for camping but I have canned pizza sauce also it is just like canning speghatti sauce)

There are two ways to do this..

#1...roll thawed dough and place in small skillet fry one size then flip dough over and top with your favorites and cover and place back over fire until cheese is melted and bubbly.

#2 this one involves a camp stove...roll thawed dough cook in small skillet on both sides then top with your favorite toppings and place in camp oven until cheese is melted.

Now, I can ask questions to what I don't understand or know about. I guess this shows my ignorance, but I had never thought about this.

What is

1.TEOTWAWKI 2.Dakota Hole Fire? 3. Cooking red beans when camping (time, water etc. I cook mine all day) like that? 4. A good dutch oven cookbook? 4. cooking pasta when camping? 5. In doing sour dough biscuits, do you still have to let them rise for several hours? 6. Most important---what is a fireless cooker?

Keep up the good work. I am worn out from just reading to everything ya'll have to do. I am mosts definitely going to print this off so when shtf I can gleam knowledge from it.

I'm sorry, y'all , that we didn't think to do this Comments thread earlier. We knew a lot of folks were reading our adventures. If you've been down in Fireside forum, you know we do this down there. This will be like getting MAIL on our long, sometimes lonely trip to the wilderness. :P Thanks for you encouragement. It's turned into a bigger "thing" than we'd initially thot and we are having a great time with it.

Honestly, the beauty of UNreality scenarios is that we can always fudge it a bit. Sooo, if anyone still would like to pull up a wagon....we are always in your neighborhood. {or stick your wagon in a freight truck and catch up to us!} ;)

Questions from AMarthaBH :

What is

1.TEOTWAWKI 2.Dakota Hole Fire? 3. Cooking red beans when camping (time, water etc. I cook mine all day) like that? 4. A good dutch oven cookbook? 5. cooking pasta when camping? 6. In doing sour dough biscuits, do you still have to let them rise for several hours? 7. Most important---what is a fireless cooker?

1) TEOTWAWKI = The End Of The World As We Know It.......also known as: :smiley_shitfan: But the TEOTWAWKI is a really-big-long-term change. Not just a regional or temporary crisis like Katrina.

2) One way to hide the smoke from your fire in case you don't want to be discovered. I'll let Mother [think I remember she has a pic?] or someone describe cuz I'm not so sure...think its partly underground. {seeee, we all learn and review! ]

Another campfire term is: keyhole fire. Large campfire in the big section but you rake red-hot coals to the small section for controlled cooking. And not so likely to burn your face and fingers as you stir the pot!

3) Beans while wagon-training? I'll save that for our bean experts ...I'm still experimenting too. Got some soaking today.

4) someone else?

5) same as in your kitchen but you have to watch closer that the water keeps boiling...any other difference someone knows of?

6) Yum, I want to know specifically about these too.

7) Fireless cooker/hay box cooker/etc. This is any form in which you initially heat the food for a time and then place it into an insulated container bubbling hot; seal up the container to keep it hot and cooking; and presto....hours later you have a meal.

One of the simplest examples is bringing water and whole wheat grains [called wheat berries] to a boil. Then quickly transfer to an ordinary thermos jug [wide mouth is easier but not necessary] and let it cook/soak overnite. In the morning, you can drain and eat with milk & brown sugar like oatmeal. Kind of a snapp/pop texture.

One of the more complex forms of Fireless cooking is the Hawaiian Imu. Dig large hole in ground. Line with fire-safe [not full of air pockets that might shatter...solid-grain] rocks. Put in logs and have a blazing campfire for a while to heat the rocks [we're talkin' soccer ball sized rocks]. Let it burn down and remove most of the unburned wood. Place stalks from the banana 'tree' on the bottom directly on the hot rocks. [careful, its VERY hot!] Wrap food in banana leaf [traditional] or aluminum foil [modern] and place on the banana stalks. You can also use metal roasters. Food might be fish, pork, beef, [Thanksgiving turkeys for a fund raiser :) ] , and all sorts of vegetables like taro, sweet potato, ulu [breadfruit], carrots, etc Make sure to have some ti leaf [spinach-like plant] inside with the meat packages for moisture and taste. :) Cover with burlap and then with dirt to completely seal the steam/heat within. Watch for steam escape and seal with more dirt. .....go off and have fun. Return hours later to carefully remove dirt; peel back burlap; and retrieve yummy food.

The middle ground is what the W*HO ladies have been describing with stews, hot dishes, or meat dishes which they begin to cook and place in their Fireless cooker [perhaps a thick insulated cooler? ] in the wagon and have a meal when we all stop for the night tired and famished. Old versions were made of wooden boxes with hay for insulation between the larger and smaller box. The better insulated, the better the results.

Whoooops, the wagons are nearly ready to leave and I still have to run milk my goat....

MtRider :wave:

Edited by Mt_Rider
fussin' and fixin'

First of all, to add credance to MT3B's pizza for lunch, we make pizza on an open fire all the time and have made it in a heavy fry pan just as she describes. I also can do a large pizza in my Dutch oven just by putting a round cake pan in the bottom of the dutch with a few rocks under it to hold it away from the bottom. That keeps it from burning. I put on the lid and cover the lid with coals from the fire, effectively making an oven. In fact, you can cook anything in THAT oven that you can cook in your oven at home, you just have to manage the coals to get the correct heat.

AMBH, TEOTWAWKI is an acronysm for The End Of The World As We Know It

A dakota fire hole is a specific way of digging two holes into the ground so that one acts as a draft for the fire in the other. It effectively hides the flames from being seen and helps cut down on smoke. Here's one link to it but there are others if you want to look them up.

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/the-dakota-fire-hole/

Cooking red beans is fairly easy on the trail. They are usually soaked overnight and then rinsed (you can bring them to a boil and let them set covered for an hour before rinsing and then cooking as well just as you would at home) The pioneer used to bring the beans to a boil and then wrap them well in a quilt or blankets (or they used a box stufffed with hay to insulate the pan well) and let them slow cook all day. (The beans stay hot enough to soften and usually cooked through) At the end of the day they would again bring the beans to a boil, maybe adding some salt pork or bacon and let it simmer while they were preparing other foods like corn bread or biscuits.

This is effectively a fireless cooker or fireless cookng. I have a specific one that is stainless steel on the outside with thinsulate material sandwhiched between outer and inner layers. It hold two stainless steel pans so that I can cook two different foods at the same time. It has an insulated snap down lid. I use it all the time both camping and at home. Alot of things can be cooked in this way, even meat safely, as long as the pieces are fairly small and everything is boiled before putting them into the 'cooker'. I boil most of mine about ten minutes. If it is going to take too long to cook that way I sometimes reboil things after several hours to make sure they stay cooking. You would be surprised how hot they will stay though.

There are a whole lot of cast iron cooking books out there. If you haven't cooked on an open fire before you might want to start with learning about that. Here's a Mrs. S link for it.

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?sh...mp;hl=open+fire

There is also a LOT of information for cooking in a Dutch Oven on the web. Just type in Dutch Oven. Someone else want to jump in here with their favorite books?

Cooking pasta while camping, in my opinion, is not much different than at home except that on the trail it is apt to be added as part of a stew or soup and cooked in the broth. Often when camping I will add boiling water to pasta and just let it set without further cooking. I watch it though and get it drained and a bit of butter or oil added as soon as it's tender so it doesn't over cook.

When I make sourdough biscuits I mix up my starter with some of the flour and liquid and let it work for a while until it's nice and bubbly. Depends on the temperature of the area. Then I add the rest of my ingredients to make a dough and quickly form the dough into biscuits. I let them raise just like yeast bread until they are about double in size in a warm place and then bake them in a fairly hot oven so they get crispy on the outside and tender done on the inside just as for Baking powder biscuits. I usually use a tiny bit of soda in my recipe to help neutralize some of the acids and to help the raise.

Those are not ultimate ways to do things though. I'm sure others will be jumping in with more answers for you.

I'm glad you are enjoying the threads. I know those of us IN it are having a great time and learning a lot just like you.

Geez you guys are going to make me dig out my camping cook book aren't ya :cheeky-smiley-067:

Ok here is my campfire sourdough biscuit recipe.

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup starter

1 tablespoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon of baking powder

1/2 cup of butter or margarine.

Iron skillet with lid

Now for camping I mix all dry ingredents together and margarine together and store in ziplock bags. Then I add my cup of starter when I am ready to bake them.

In answer to the question do I let them rise no that is what the baking powder and soda is for.

lightly grease iron skillet, add 1 cup of starter and mix well and roll into balls...I always sprinkle flour on my hands to keep the stickyness down. Place in skillet and cover with lid set over hot coals and allow to cook check after 15 mins. I usually flip mine over so that they will brown on top also. If you have a camp stove you can cook them in it also.

I use this recipe at home also. I just bake in the oven at 400 for about 15-20 mins. Yes I use an iron skillet at home also. Because they are don't hold their shape well they tend to spread out if you put them on a baking pan. If you work in more flour they get dry so I stick to the skillet.

I had a surprise today when it was posted to be Easter...? I'm getting ready for Christmas!

Somehow I hadn't taken in the story was set in springtime, I just assumed it was in real time. Quite a surprise - you may want to emphasize that at the beginning for new readers.

LOL Leah....It was a surprise for us too. Forgot to anticipate that.

The Wagon Train was set for departure in EARLY springtime [as was normal] to arrive in time for first VITAL planting of crops. There actually was two departure dates set within the posts.....both by me. Oops. :blush: One of our bloopers [now edited]. I said initially that we'd depart March 1st and then later I was saying "last week of March". :grinning-smiley-044: Mother and I have been trying to get the time line straightened out and hopefully we won't have anymore timeline bloopers. LOL

MtRider ...living in two seasons.... :cheeky-smiley-067:

Mt_Rider thinks that SHE has it bad trying to keep up with two seasons. I've been volunteered to write a THANKSGIVING story for DGS's Home school group and now I have to try to keep not only the seasons straight but the Pioneer's and Pilgrims straight :grinning-smiley-044:

SO,,,,, the Wagons left around the first of March. They have traveled five weeks UN time (for UN-reality time) That puts us with Easter being tomorrow IRL (In Real Life) time; April 4th in UN time.

I just hope we get there by planting time :lois: Stay tuned to find out and to watch for MORE Of our bloopers. :D

I am absolutely loving this journey y'all are on! I check the threads almost every day...lol...

One thing I became obsessed over was the "Fireless Cooker"...I had never heard of that! Of course online there are a bunch of vague instructions on how to make one, or the occasional tin box antique version. But I also found this:

https://www.dreampot.com.au/

So there you go, people...another item I "just can't live without" in my preps!!! :24:

Also, whenever everyone was sick with flu, and quarantined, I was stressing out over you guys having enough bandannas to cover your faces and keep from breathing all that trail dust when your little lungs were already working overtime...

Yes, you are in my prayers even on your virtual journey!

Ok, back to packing up the house...I have my own journey to Arkansas tomorrow!!!

Oh my goodness Jeanette. That Dream Pot is almost exactly like mine except that I don't have a handle on the outside pot. Mine came brand new in the box from an auction for $6 about ten years ago. They had dozens of them and now I wish I'd bought them allllllllll!!!!! $255 for the size I have. I could have made a fortune :whistling: Course, mine is from some foriegn country and I can barely read the recipe book even if it IS in English. It works great and I love it and really do wish I had a couple more of them.

I chuckled at your worrying about us with our colds but truthfully that only means that we are making it real enough that everyone can learn from the experience and that is what a good scenario should do I guess. Thank you for your prayers, IRL and in UN life.

Hey, Mt_R,,,,I gave it a try. I can't help it if it didn't come out any better than before. I'm STILL a bit confused but I do know it's EASTER April 4th in Wagon's HO time. That's MY story and I'm sticking to it :D ,,,,,(I think)

Aww, that's sweet Jeanette! We'll be praying IRL that your wagon trip to your new home will be UNeventful....unlike OURS! LOL

And this whole scenario IS about possible immigration to new places during Hard Times in any era. So watch out that the mules don't kick and the forks are not dropping outta the back of your wagon. I hope you get settle quickly so you can get your computer hooked up and continue watching our 'soap opera'. :laughkick:

OH wow....the dream pot. How cool is that? I wish you HAD gotten all of them, Mother! But gets me thinking of a large canner/stock pot...plus some good insulation...plus the interior pot. good lids! then everything would be dual usage....cuz we have so little room in these conesoga wagons... lol I have to putter with that idea. Formerly, I've been using a VERY thick styrofoam cooler. [dh's medical supplies were shipped in it...and I have several.....cuz of COURSE I didn't throw them out!] Does make yogurt without electricity of the dehydrator too. I've done that by just pouring very hot water in around the canning jars I make it in. In the morning [don't jiggle it!] you have yogurt!]

MtRider :wave:

I'm really enjoying following along with you guys on this trip. Fun reading and a great learning experience to boot!

Couldn't you make one of those dreampots by layering different size pans adding some kind of insulation in between?

And Mt. Rider, can you post how you do the yogurt in the recipe thread? I just got one of those insulated syofoam coolers with a mail order.

Dogmom, I've made several different types of insulated cookers and they all have the same principle. The object is to make sure that the insulation is directly in contact with the pan on the inside and there is as little air between as possible. Pioneer used to use hay in a box with the pot being totally surrounded with it, often covered with a quilt.

I've used double canners with quilt batting between them but find it doesn't hold the heat as well as if you just wrap the inner pan with batting and then place it in an insulated cooler, especially one like MtR is talking about. I believe they are thicker walled than the picnic type ones. The object is to make sure the inner pot stays as hot as possible, or in the case of yogurt, the correct temperature.

I have a camping one that has a gas burner inside to heat the contents originally. Then you close the box and it finishes cooking. It's probably thirty five or more years old and weighs half a ton. I don't use it nearly as much as the one insulated with Thinsulate.

I love my insluated cooker. I use it several times a week and it's saved us a lot of money over the years. I'd like a bigger one but at those prices I can't afford it. I keep my eyes open for them at auctions and good will but have never seen another one like it until the link today.

I'm glad you are enjoying the threads. I am too.

Oh dear ... Can you please fix this apostrophe too? :24:

I'm sorry it's just tickling my funny bone.

:Blushing::laughkick: At least when I do it I do it in duplicate. :D

You really DO have to love the bloopers though.

I have to say that I am so impressed with the wonderful story lines coming out of today's [surprise] disaster scene. I kinda threw you a curve ball there and wow! Terrific stuff folks!!!! I can just see the scenes as you all unfold them....each weaving in and out with the story lines of others. It's so hard to do without stepping on each other's intended plots. Or forgetting details. We're doing pretty good tho, bloopers notwithstanding. LOL Bloopers don't matter; they're funny. Just so we don't paint ourselves into a corner & can't reach our goal. :)

I'm calling this odd technique "corporate writing". I'm fascinated by it. I'm having so much fun with it. AND it is proving to me just how qualified this group of wagoneers are for the hard things of life. What a group this would make IRL!

:grouphug:

MtRider [ Nite!]