MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wagons Ho COMMENTS

Mother

Hey all you Waggoneers and faithful readers too......

Do any of you remember this post?

Oct. 7,2009 Mt_Rider posted-

Alright all you loyal MrsS folks. Here is an opportunity to gather together and start a new life in the wilderness. [OK...sometimes I am REALLY into escapism... :shrug: ] Who wants to join me?

Then begin packing your Conestoga wagon. Since we will be a community when we arrive, some things won't have to be duplicated unless you want to. Mother just left on a short jaunt but will be invaluable for data on what those pioneers were likely to find necessary as they traveled into the new wilderness. We might try a few modern conveniences BUT........

Did you realize that was 3 months ago today that we started on this journey together???

So...........................

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!

And especially to you Mt_Rider!!!!!!

:AmishMichael2:

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I'd like to apologize for my "Blooper". I was assuming since it took us quite some time to climb the mountain that it would have taken a few days to come down the other side to get to the valley. I didn't realize we were already on the map near the lodge.

We have a couple more questions:

How big are the rivers on the map?

and do they run all year?

:shrug:

I'll be a good girl now and shut up.

(((((Annarchy))))) Do not apologise. First of all because we were all a bit confused as to what day it actually IS, and second of all,,,,it really IS fun to have bloopers. We've all made them. :D (though truthfully, I never even caught that one of yours)

The rivers are about the width of a regular two lane highway and yes they run all year round. The North river seems to be about five mile long and the North East one about six if you go by the size of the valley as being 10 mile by 20 mile. But remember the map is not really to scale so it's easy to hedge on that if you need to.

:bighug2:

so here we are coming to another weekend IRL..............

and now that some of us have 'found' Homesteads we need to start gardens and get on a feeding/ breeding/ timeline.

So anybody come up with where we are as far as the date yet?

I know it is May but is it the first week or last week?

It would help in the journals to have dates so when we are going back over then we can see who was doing waht on what days? Like when it comes time to build I can't be 'home' while I am off helping Mother get her place up?

and I guess by now we are OK with the last frost for this year?

I (as well as others) need to get plants growning in pots so we can get them into the ground soon. Hope to plant snow peas in the next few day.

Thanks

~Michael~

I'm going back through now to try to figure out an exact date for us. I'm pretty sure we are no later than the end of the first week in May but I'll let you know.

I'm going back through now to try to figure out an exact date for us. I'm pretty sure we are no later than the end of the first week in May but I'll let you know.

That's what I was thinking so it gives us time to get gardens started.

If it's the 4th week then I am behind on getting work done on our new Homestead?

but then again she does like to just ahead here? LOL

As near as I can tell, Today would be Sunday, May 9th. That is using MT3B's April 4th date as Easter and counting the days forward. Michael was the fairly consistent at getting us up or at least telling everyone good morning and that helped a lot. Now, I may have missed a day or two here and there but that's as close as I can get.

How do you want to work this? Would you like to just declare today Friday, May 8th so we can get on a day and date that we can glace at our current callendar and easily identify just changing the month from January to May? Remember though, that 'ties' you to what your garden would do IRL timeframe...as in it's going to be the end of January before you start to even think about getting salads and etc. (three weeks?) We'll have to fill in with our building and hunting, and every day life. We will need to really think through, realistically, how easy it would be to clear land, cut trees (how many can we cut, drag in, debark, and etc in a day IRL?), dig or plow up soil, maybe dig wells (now that's not going to be done in a day :o good thing we all have nice springs handy), etc.

Whatever you decide, we are just in time to get our early crops in and late for starting some of our seedlings like tomatoes and peppers and such but they will catch up fast now that the sun is higher in the sky and the days are longer. There is lots of wild edibles in the valley and we will not only be able to 'find' them but learn how to preserve them, if possible, for later use. (we weren't in time for Maple syrup but there MIGHT be honey bee trees??? later)

:shrug:

I say go for it being Friday MAY 7,2010 ( I know you just typed the 8th)!

That way we will at least know the day of the week (like Sundays for chuch)

otherwise we will keep missing things that we would do on certain days - Like laundry, visiting, Church, SLEEPING IN !

OK, Off to plant those seeds in pots and get some lind of cold frame up and running........

I only went with the eighth because today was a friday and it was the 8th so if we look at our calendar we'd know the day and the date at least but it can be whatever the majority of you want it to be. :shrug:

Me TOOOO Lois, me too. Glad you are enjoying it though. We'll take you next time. :D

Cool, it's Friday. Boy do I have my work cut out for me.

Been thinking about all this and now that we are here in the valley, the un-reality of it is setting in.

A LOT of work, just to survive.

IRL, end of the month/year/taxes and trying to catch up from the Holiday's and taking MIL back home, has been a challenge and I haven't had much time to 'surf the net'. A moment here or there, but priorities press and time flies. Anyone have an extra minute they can spare to send me? LOL

Hoping to stay on the same page as everyone else....

:bouquet:

Having been down in bed all day I missed all the goings on here. :( ((((Lois)))) it is SO good to see you post!! I hope you keep right on enjoying our story. And knowing that you have a lot of knowledge in that head of yours on plants and their medical/etc.. uses, please do post some of them here if you think they could be useful in our UNreality story!

As for the date...I will happily go along with what ever yall decide. Just let us know.

Now I am going to go read todays installments and see if I can come up with a little something before I end up back in bed again (pain is B A D bad today and flu still too) and unable to catch up....

Q

Having been down in bed all day I missed all the goings on here. :( ((((Lois)))) it is SO good to see you post!! I hope you keep right on enjoying our story. And knowing that you have a lot of knowledge in that head of yours on plants and their medical/etc.. uses, please do post some of them here if you think they could be useful in our UNreality story!

As for the date...I will happily go along with what ever yall decide. Just let us know.

Now I am going to go read todays installments and see if I can come up with a little something before I end up back in bed again (pain is B A D bad today and flu still too) and unable to catch up....

Q

So that is how I got it..hugging Q - didn't realize I could get sick through the monitor...where is that can of lysol so that I can spray this computer down...LOL

Just joking Q the freezing cold weather has forced us to run the heat more and it had dried out the air not only at home but at work so now I have a sinus infection / head cold.

Crud, well that is just how mine started too, with a dern sinus cold from the dry heat, no doubt. :huh: Thanks for the gentle hugs gals, they were much needed lol. And hugs back to you both and anyone else needing one today.

I am trying to write a post for today but I'm struggling with it. I hate when that happens lol. Most times I can sit down and just whip out a post with no problems. But then I had Mt.R. and Mother giving the direction to go in too. Now that we are on our own, I have to slow down and remember we are starting with about nothing and go from there.

Well off to read and write a little more then I am going back to bed. See yall tomorrow. Good Sabbath to yall!

Q

Thought you might like to see how Michael cuts down a tree and how we get as much use out of each one as we can.

First off we need some logs that are straight and 20 feet long and 11 inches thick for cabin walls. So off we go looking for a tree that will be good for that, he Finds one and starts to chop it down (this works better then the saws on this kind of tree). TIMBER!

OK so now that it is on the ground, I help hold the tape measure so we can cut (with the saws) a 20 foot log that will be for the cabin walls. Next he moves up and measures out a piece that is 8 inches thick, that is for the lean-to barn, and cut that. By now we are up to where branches are so it is hit and miss if there is any good wood for building with. But any thick branches (say 6 -- 8 inches) get cut and used for fence posts or as ridge posts or rafters for the lean-to. Next we look to see if there are any good branches that are 3 inches or under and 4 feet long to go into the pile that we will use to make a garden fence.

What is left can be cut into fire wood or kindling and piled near by for when we have time to put in into the wagon and get it back to the cabin site. The small branches (boughs) will be used on top of the roof of the lean-to for now so the animals have some shade. The roof will come later on in the season but for now it will be just a log, 3 sided affair, and shelter for them.

So there you go when done there will be nothing but sawdust and chips left behind and I know Michael has plans for them too.

~Lori~

COOL Lori, that's using everything! Would you like to put that somehow into the thread too. There might be some who are not reading here who might enjoy that description. It is JUST what we need to know.

Thanks!

Snapshot, I'm glad you are enjoying this as much as we are.

Edited by Mother

Quiltys was talking about directions and I realized that perhaps we needed to recap some of what we knew about the valley in order to put us all on the same 'page' (okay, I meant that literally LOL) in writing.

First of all the cast of characters: Jacob and Joy Rock own the Rockin/ J ranch, our last connection with the outside world. Clarence Smith and Jacob were old military buddies. Over 20 years ago they realized that things in the country were going bad and decided they needed a plan B. They soon paired up with Edward Jones and together Smith and Jones bought the "very hard to access" Big Valley meant to be a retreat from the chaos they suspected would come.

The valley has always been wilderness. There was never a town there and was unknown about with the exception of the few trappers who came to it and that one homesteader a hundred years ago and we have no way of knowing why they left. (Those buildings were only preserved because they were built solidly of logs perhaps)

Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones are our Benefactors. They purchased most (but not all) of our wagons and teams, arranged for all the permits, licenses, fees, and paid for all the other expenses of getting the wagon train to the valley. They are generously giving the land to us if we are willing to 'prove up' within a couple of years. We are indebted to them for asking us along and giving us this opportunity. The lodge and the medical building that is all that makes up the 'town' at this point is their home. They have given us the use of it for a meeting place but eventually we will need to build another building for it, perhaps the church.

Mr. Hughes was "brought on board full time to plan each detail of the route and security." (He also seems to have been given charge of arranging the claims). The Chef was hired but was also given a claim if he desires along with various other people not specifically mentioned. Some of the B's group is family and/or friends of the B's. They tell us though, "at any rate, there could never be enough within our circle to populate that Valley with the skills, crafts, knowledge, specialties, and just sheer numbers required for a decent chance of a self-sufficient colony." (my emphases) That is where WE come in and why we were invited into the circle.

This thread has evolved and the information about our lifestyle has evolved as well but throughout it all one theme appears. We are isolated from the world and we want a new life, not one like the one we left behind. It was never our intentions to have us all live like cave men. We are trying to build a thriving community, one that is self-sufficient. HOWEVER, the descent into the valley was purposely intended to emphasize how difficult it is to reach here and also how difficult it would be to bring in large items, like tractors, combines, motorized vehicles, power plants, and etc. unless we want to give away our location and bring things in by big helicopters. We have Annarchy's quad and the B's most likely have a couple of those as well, but the ability to bring in fossil fuel is extremely difficult at best. (we're sure going to try to get some in for those for emergencies though) We are dependent primarily on solar or hydropower for energy. Wind energy might be possible but the wind currents in the valley would have to be carefully considered.

We also have very little contact with the outside world. The mule train we are expecting with our orders of goods may never get there though it is hoped that a regular contact and mail service can be established between the valley and the Rockin' J, and we might be able to establish a system to sell products anonymously to the outside world. THAT IS,,, until the chaos gets close and then even the Rockin J family will be moving to the Valley. After that we are on our own, having only occasional dangerous forays out of the valley for 'gleaning' trips. If the country manages to right itself, then that's a different story but for now, we aren't counting on it.

That's just hitting some of the highlights to get us started but I hope that makes the intentions more clear. We will eventually have to come to some decisions for the 'community' as a whole but we'll take them as they come (or we throw them at you LOL). We can have some 'barn or cabin' raisin's but you will have to get the logs ready ahead of time so we can get it up in a day, just like the settlers did (We'll all bring food LOL). We may be called to defend the valley or we may face a natural disaster or emergency together. Lot's of things might happen, you never know.

You are all doing a super job. I love the idea of Q doing a 'visiting nurse' thing. If CGA joins us she can help with it as can Mr. MtR. The medical building is also there for use and I'll look up the description of it as soon as I get time and post it. I know it's got a few rooms and a loft for the 'staff' to stay over when needed (by the way, I bet we find Mt_R there resting).

Now I'm off to try to play my own homestead. :D

I sure like getting home from work and finding out what has happened today! (After taking Sugar Lips and Twinkle Toes out of course)! Thanks again to all of you and miss you Mt. Rider!

Miki I want to thank you for taking the time to let us know that you enjoy the story, along with others here on MrsS. It's comments like yours that keep me writing this story. If yall ever get bored with it, well let us know!

Thanks and hugs...

Q

Thanks for that recap Mother. I tried to pull some of that into my last post on the story, but I think I got a few of the details wrong like Mr R owning the rockin J, not who I had. :wub: I tried to look to the future a bit in it also maybe to help some others who were thinking about writing themselves into the story line a place to jump in??? I do hope any of our readers who want to join up do just that, the more the merrier! We sure could use a few more farmers in the valley!

I am going to try to write in Mt.R's in my next post. I hope she gets to feeling better IRL and at least can post a HI now and then until she is up to posting in the comments or the story. I do hope she isn't too disappointed with us already crossing the river and taking her along LOL...

PS...can you get Lori to put that post in the story? That would make a wonderful addition to the story!! Lol...maybe she needs to write more too??

Q

Edited by quiltys41

Thanks for putting those nifty instructions in the thread Lori. And I love you adding a bit to the journal too. Gives us both perspectives on building the homestead. Rounds it out nicely. :D