MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wagons Ho COMMENTS

Mother

Sorry about that. Hard to connect the dots when holding little Paul Bunyan... and to think they thought he was too small just a few weeks ago.

-

I'm enjoying their site. You never grow old, if you keep learning.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh shoot! Annarchy is over there teaching about casings for sausages ...how to prep them...and MtRider is stuck on sick leave and can't leave her wagon. :pout:

LOL, good instruction, Annarchy! When y'all explain something out in the story like that, we might not have all the details....but it seems like it IS so doable. :cheer:

MtRider :pc_coffee:

We lived on a self sufficient farm for many years. We had 80 acres next to my Grandparent's 120 acres. Wolves, bear, cats, wolverines, and an menagerie of woodland life, made it quite an experience for over 13 years. Hunting deer, 2 or 3 times a year, was normal and we utilized all parts. My siblings and I were in charge of many of the tasks entailed in butchering and processing the deer and some of our cows. One cow had a breach birth in the middle of the night, a come-along was used to remove the drowned calf, sadly, the mother didn't make it. When you survive on what you have... we processed her too. Everything you could possibly use, was used.

The only thing I didn't mention, was, you can 'harden' the delicate casings by smoking or drying them and they can be saved a day or so, as long as they stay cold, in a brine solution (or longer if you have a refrigerator/freezer). Once filled, we usually smoked them, but Grandmother & Great Grandmother would make Swedish Potato Sausage (Pa-ta-tes'-skor) every year and freeze them.

And that turkey that thought my red stocking cap made me a competitor, got ate on Thanksgiving, giving me a reprieve from being attacked while milking and doing other chores. :yum3:

LOL @ turkey.... :rolleyes:

I grew up on a 200 acre Iowa grain farm [corn, soy bean, oats, alfalfa]. Not much for animals except occasional dog [one was a Saint named 'Bert'] and cats. Lotsa cats. I tamed the feral ones so we'd have more cats. But I finally got my horse. :wub: My memories include:

--"walking the beans" [getting rid of the weeds....that's a LOT of walking on those acres! ]

--"detasseling corn" -- a 1st paying job for farm kids. For making hybrid crosses for seed corn [rip off the tassels - "male" part - from four rows of one variety so it cannot self-pollinated. It is cross-pollinated by the two rows of the other variety. The four rows are seed corn for the next year's planting. ]

--HOURS of my childhood on a school bus

--some years of school in a one-room country schoolhouse. Tho in my case, it wasn't all the grades together....it was just one grade classroom ...like our 4th grade. Didn't have an elementary school with multiple rooms.

--4H projects, county and state fair,

--community ice cream socials at the tiny white clapboard church and playing in the cemmetary where my ancestors are buried

--DVBS

--falling off horses in all sorts of circumstances...mostly self-inflicted :lol:

--small town festivals and parades

--everyone knows your grandparents....and if you misbehave, your parents will hear about it from no less than three different sources BEFORE you get home. :P

--chilly harvest season...riding on the tractor with my mom, bringing in the wagons and getting inside to knock down all the grain from the wagon sides to fall into the elevator or auger

--riding on hay wagons...standing, without support, in the very middle of the empty wagon to balance over the bumps of The Path

--learning to drive our old pale blue Mercury on The Path [hit the brake too hard once and nearly had Saint Bert up in the front seat with me...lol ]

--catching lightening bugs in jars

--playing in the oats bin....and boy, does that ITCH!!!!!! [didn't stop us at all tho]

--going EVERYwhere in the neighborhood on our horses and bikes. Horses gave higher status, btw!!!

............So?

Are the children of Big Valley gonna have memories like these?

MtRider [...looking backward on the eve of a great move FORWARD.......UNfortunately in UNreality tho. :shrug: ]

What fond memories you both have Annarchy and MtR. Some of each of your memories are mine as well. I lived in a very small community, about 300 + people but mostly farmers. Not only did word of misdeeds arrive home before you did but we were just as apt to be scolded by the neighbor as our parents. Community socials and church activities are high on my memory list and small town festivals were many and varied.

My parents ran the local welding shop and at one point sold and serviced travel trailers and motor homes. I was at home as much in a tent or coach (truck camper) as I was in a house. Cooking over an open fire is one of my fondest memories.

We had a huge sustenance garden and my mom butchered chickens with us children helping every year. I used to go with my brother to hunt pigeons under an old railroad bridge and we would skin them instead of plucking them to be put in the freezer. My Mom prepared them by roasting them with strips of bacon laid across them. I remember my Aunts and Uncles getting together at Thanksgiving and the uncles would hunt rabbits, bringing home trunkfulls at a time and helping with the skinning in my Aunts back yard. My mom canned and froze everything we grew or hunted and tons more besides. And she did this all the while working in the office and keeping the books for our welding shop.

Spending time almost every Sunday on my Aunt and Uncle's farm (I was considered a 'town' girl) I gathered almost all the memories that MtR has of farm life. We actually grew up only about an hour from each other. Wish I'd have known her then. Our memories of catching lightning bugs is the same as well, along with playing Red Rover, Green light Red light, tag, Mother May I, Hide and Seek, Jump rope, and Jacks. Fishing in the 'crik', going after the cows way up the road and riding the lead cow back, getting dumped in the manure pile if you weren't fast enough getting off, playing in the hay mow, and a snowy sleigh ride on a moonlight night behind the neighbors horses.

I walked to school (3 mile up hill both ways :24: )[ahem...okay 1 1/2 blocks through the neighbor's yards] until my high school years, and then it was the bus. My mom was the 4H leader so the memories of the fairs are very strong in my mind. There will most likely be no need for 4H in our valley as the children will be learning and living how-to but we could have 'fairs' and festivals just the same. Just for fun. Maybe every year to celebrate our entrance into the valley.

In some ways life in the valley could be similar to those childhood memories. But it's possible that our children wouldn't have the luxury of innocent childhood as long as we did. I know that pioneer children grew up fast.

I'm really looking forward to our next thread in this Wagons Ho Journey. It will be fun to see what 'memories' are going to be 'built'. What skills will we learn, what knowledge will we gain? What will our individual 'homesteads' look like? How will they function? Will our ideals of the perfect homestead turn out to be so perfect? Only the 'wagoneers', soon turning ‘homesteaders’ know, and they don't know for sure :behindsofa:

Stay tuned in for the next episode of WAGONS HO!

:bighug2:

Edited by Mother

Oh, you both flooded my mind with the past. :wub:

The first years, we did all by hand. We brought in corn seed, alfalfa seed, 2 cows, 100 baby chicks and garden seeds. Borrowed a tractor to till the 2 fields for the corn and alfalfa, then remove the rocks. Tilled the garden by hand. Then we got an old tractor. At the closest town, 12 miles away, we brought corn to be ground into grain and and traded for supplies. It was several years before water and electricity was hooked up. One central fireplace had to be kept going in the winter. (Northern MI) We walked 1/2 mile to catch the bus for school. (in the snow barefoot..... :24: ...not.)

We had, a strawberry field/hill, currents, grapes, several types of apple trees, peach orchard, plums, 3 varieties of cherry trees, black berries, rasberries, beach nut, wallnut and maple trees. Traded grain & hay for 2 bread pigs (they named after me & my sister :o ) a couple pigletts were traded for ponies. There was a creek that ran through our property, 3 swamps, and a small lake on our grandparents property where we went fishing every weekend. Once a year we'd get 100 chicks, 1 turkey, 2 geese. By the time we moved we were up to 20 cows and we were still milking by hand. The only electric we had the first 5 years was to the milk freezer and Kraft would come and take our milk cans 1 - 2 times a week. One of our cow's milk was used only for us, she was a 'creamer', half her milk was cream, ummmmm.

Well, shucks, I better quit, or I'll be here all day :blah:

Looking forward to seeing how our Un-reality story progresses...

"""BAREFOOT IN THE SNOW""""" :24: That beats me :008Laughing:

It seems that a lot of us going on this journey are more experienced than it first seemed. That's going to be a plus when we try to figure out what we want for our 'homesteads'.

I keep thinking of the fifteen acres we live on now with our goats and chickens and our small solar system and springs and wonder why I would even consider leaving but if I were facing the downfall of society and the hungry hoards, I'd go to a safer valley in a heartbeat, especially with family and friends who have the collective experience we're finding in our group.

MRS S. IS THE GREATEST!!!!!! :wub: No wonder the Benefactors came here to choose!!! LOL

Reading about your past has made me remember mine. All the chickens, the cows, pigs and the massive garden. I now know why my mother only spent $10 on groceries (and that was mostly cleaning supplies and personal items) when I was little. I remember plucking chickens nothing smells worse than a wet hen. Mother finally went to skinning them instead of plucking them. But we still had to pluck the turkeys she didn't want to cook the turkey without the skin. I grew up on 16 acres and I swear 10 of it was a garden every year. Well ok so 5 of it was garden. Dad always planted 3 acres of corn so that we could take some of it to the mill and have it ground into cornmeal. I remember always the first week after school was out going with my mom to pick blackberries EARLY in the morning like 6:30 right after dad left for work then coming home and taking a bath in bleach water to kill the bugs and my mother checking my head for ticks. She always made 52 1/2 pint jars of blackberry jam. Then there was strawberries, grapes, muscadines, scuppernongs. We had peach trees, fig trees, pecan trees, and apple trees. I think there might have even been a pear tree. Summer vacation was NO vacation around my house. There was always something to be picked, weeded, watered or fed.

Raja in my story is actually from my childhood. I raised a bull from when he was a baby. His momma died during delivery so we had to bottle feed him. He had a bullring and everything. He would follow me around like a puppy. Baby used to steal my dads hat when he would go out out put salt blocks and hay out in the pasture. He would grab the hat off my dad's head and run with it to get dad to chase him. It was funny to watch this huge bull try to sneak up on my dad. Dad finally quit taking the truck out to the pasture with the hay because Baby would come up and lean on the truck to get dad to scratch him behind the ears. Dad got tired of having to beat the dents out of the fenders so he started taking the tractor and flatbed wagon out there. The year that my dad hurt his back we sold off all the live stock (including Baby) except a few chickens. After we sold Baby the new owner called my dad one day out of the blue and told him that Baby had saved his granddaughters life. It seems Baby had taken a liking to her. She would feed the horses and goats apples and carrots and then she went to feeding Baby without anyone knowing it. They lived up near the TN/AL state line and she was laying outside playing with her dolls when a bobcat came in the yard. It had already killed a couple of the baby goats and it went after his granddaughter. Baby went through the electric fence and killed the bobcat. Dad explained to him that Baby was a pet more than a bull. That I had raised him from a calf and bottle feed him. Showed him in 4-H and everything. That was the reason Baby had a bullring.

I walked to school (3 mile up hill both ways :24: )
Mother, I couldn't resist, that was my papa's response whenever we wanted to complain how hard something was.... you brought back a flood of precious memories of him... and he would always end it with 'barefoot in the snow'. Thank you for that very special Christmas gift.

Mt3b, isn't it wonderful to remember the past. I catch myself doing things the old ways occasionally.

Now....

YOU LOCKED THE THREAD!?! We HAVE to wait???? Stopped on this side of the top of the Mountain? Tired, wore out, recovering from bruises, sore muscles, and blisters? Indeed.

I think I'll make a :campfire: and sit on a log for a while.

Memories ARE precious aren't they.

About hanging on that cliff...........more info coming very soon. Keep the fires burning :) I'll be back in a flash....(well okay maybe not a flash LOL)

(see I WAS back in a flash...was just sprucing this up and getting it okayed. Don't want to give away TOO many secrets you know)

Well, as everyone can see,, MtRider found the KEY and gets the last word in the Wagons Ho Wilderness thread....for now.... :D !!!!!!!

I do have to admit.....it was not HER fault that you weren't allowed to 'see' your new homestead land. It was mine! I wasn't being selfish though....*I* haven't seen it either :o

The reasons for my suggestion were varied but one of the main reasons is that I felt we've done such a wonderful job on the Journey I'm sure the Big Valley thread will be even better. I felt that the new thread deserved more attention than it might get with the holidays taking our attention elsewhere. This way we can focus our attention on family and celebrations without feeling like we need to run to the thread to see what is happening.

While we are taking this 'station break' you will have time to dream of your ideal homestead. (like we haven't been doing that already ) You don't know exactly where you will be locating your homestead in the valley but you can think about what you will be looking for, once you DO get there. Do you want pastures, fields, a nice mountain stream, be near the lake, or be in the mountains at the sides of the valley? Do you want to be on the north side or the south? East or west?

You will all have as long as you need to travel around the valley looking at possible home sites. Maybe you will have a list of your criteria. Maybe you will feel more comfortable closer to the main village, maybe you would rather be more isolated. Whatever it is, you will now have time to really give it thought.

Please,, don't post that info here. We'd like you to keep it for when the Big Valley thread opens. For a while we will be together as on the trail and we will be able to interact with each other, but for how long is up to each of you. As you find your ideal places you will move there to begin your new homesteads. At that time you won't have as much interaction with each other and you may want to switch to a journal form of writing, as some of you have already done, except for those specific times we plan to be together or for emergencies. It will be a sort of chronicles of our day to day trials, tribulations, joys and accomplishments. That way we can all enjoy the process as each of us ‘builds’ our lives in the new land.

You don't REALLY think we are going to just let you just set at your homesteads though, do you?.....Don't worry, there are a few things in the works already to make life 'interesting at the homesteads. :animal0017::behindsofa:

In the mean time, as MtR said,we can chat here in the comments and maybe post some of the recipes we will need on the homesteads.

And that dear wagoneers,,,,is your homework for over the holiday break...LOL

:grouphug:

OH NO!!! It's locked! I can't type in my day? UGH

And here I was so hoping to get in this great post about how the valley looked all laid out below us and something happening to our wagon and oh well shoot!! I don't want to give too much of it away. Maybe I can remember it later when we are allowed to post? :shrug: I hope I still have internet after the holidays. If not, I have to say it has been a joy and an honor to do this story with everyone! Gee, I have learned so many new things that I had to buy another three ring binder today lol. I had stuff laying all over that I had printed out while doing research and stuff. Even ended up buying a few used books on line about women in the Oregon Trail trains and one really good one called "Leaning Into the Wind" about women in the old west and how they set up homesteading after they got off the Trails and such. And I have learned much from each of you too. There is so much knowledge here that I am just in awe of yall. So if I don't post much, I am reading and learning and scared to death of appearing stupid by asking dumb questions LOL.

And reading yall's recollections of being younger made me think back on my own. I was raised Brethren, which is Anabaptist like the Mennonites and Amish. We farmed with my Uncle who had 500 head of dairy cows. Milking was about an all day chore. I remember very well how to muck out stalls lol. And how to squirt a barn cat in milk. I loved doing that and watching all the other barn cats run over to the one I had squirted, licking all the milk off of it hehehe.

And the gardens were huge at our place too. It was 3 acres every year of veggies. The corn was separate and over to my uncles place down the road since he raised sweet corn every year to sell. I still hate pulling weeds to this day! Every evening during the garden season, right after dinner, Mom would march us kids out to the garden and show us what the plants looked like that we weren't supposed to pull in that row. Each kid got their own row and there were 5 of us at the time. And you couldn't leave one weed in that row either! If you did, no popcorn later! So every night except Sunday night we all weeded the garden. Ugh. So that's why I have such a hard time making myself get out there as an adult and do the weeding, because it was a "have to do" when I was younger. But then no one really does like to do weeding, right? :D

Well guess I will go read what kind of cliff hanger we have over there and see if I can't jot down some notes jik I get lucky and am on line after the first of the year.

Q

Mine is a bit differant (but still the same?) as I grow up in New York City (Long Island) without cows, horses or any farm land anywhere. Now this was in the 50 -60's But my Parents had it going on even back then. We were homeschooled most of the year, (after fighting with the schools), traveling back and forth accross the US as my Father worked on both coasts working in the TV trade. But when home we canned food and had a big garden, well as big as you can on 1/8 area of land. Dad taught the girls how to change a flat, mow , fix mower,etc. While Mom had the boys washing dishes, doing laundry, sewing, knitting,etc. We also did a lot of volunteering as kids working with the blind, handicapped, and even the hospital rehab programs. Christmas was alway a fun time growing up as we did a lot 'helping out those less fortunite' both in our town and as outreach help.The funny part is still today most of us kids are hoomesteading it or at least canning and cooking from scratch and gardening our own. AND Yes the girls can fix anything and all us boys still knitt, crochet,sew,etc. I still even make quilts, as does 3 sisters, for extra money.

back then we thought we were one of the few that 'got it' and people would always ask why we did it that way seeing money was no proplem for our Family. But I never saw it that way we just enjoyed that way of life and still do to this day. We are now spread all across the country but still share recipes, gardening hints, what we canned this year and all the 'lastest' old ways of doing things.

So see it can happen anywhere you live if you start early in life it just comes as second nature when you become an adult ( I will let you know when I am there :-) 59 and still counting)

:AmishMichael2:

<<<<<kicks the ground walking around mumbling about being lost without anything to write. :girlneener::happy0203::grouphug:

So has everyone been thinking about the land they would like to have? I was wondering what some of yall are looking for besides the obvious...water! I'm not sure but think we would like about a 50-50 mix pasture and woods...what do yall think? Pasture for animals and wood to burn in the woodstove and to make the buildings with? And to shade the house? Yes? No? Ack! LOL

Q

It's so interesting to read about all your earlier lives. I do have a few comments though...

QUILTYS,,,,You BETTER be there after the first of the year,,,,I already 'misplaced' a couple people in a snow storm....I'm NOT going to lose you just when we are ALMOST home....:tapfoot:

Michael, what an interesting life you must have had.

I can see why each of you agreed to come along on this journey. I almost can't wait until I 'see' all your homesteads.

I know I've been dreaming mine for years, every since I started studying pioneer living ohhhh maybe 40 or more years ago. My criteria is going to be difficult,,,,I want it ALL. Woods, streams, pasture, HOT SPRINGS, and and and....I'm going to have to use a BIG notebook to get it all down so I can take it along when we finally get into the valley and start looking for land. I'm going to join Annarchy at the fire over there and start my list.

:campfire:

MtRider automatically gets into W*Ho mode and heads for computer....and finds it locked and empty. :blink: {oh ...forgot}

Then finds everyone hanging out in Comments. {whew! :grouphug:}

:happy0203:

Y'know I've been thinking about how Hawaiian land was divvied up back a few decades ago. They originally had a layered society of the ruling class and the rest. So the concept of personal land ownership was new. ....and didn't work out very well actually because it was too new to their society. [it was kinda forced by other countries that had found these beautiful islands]

ANYway, the land was split so that it was in wedges. Everyone had a pie shape. A lot of land by the sea, because of course that was their main life. But they got the trees for their boats waaaay up on the sides of the volcanic mountains. Certain plants were found mid-way up, etc. So if they were to have all the resources, they needed access to all the regions that make up the island.

So I've got my eye on property that might back up against the higher land of the mountain. There is where you'd hunt elk and bear [furs] and find different herbal plants and ....... The flat valley land, rich with nutrient eroded down thru the years from the highlands, is necessary for the agriculture. Grains! I can grow grains and fruit trees and ...... :yum3:

While the Valley is relatively unpopulated, it wouldn't be an issue. But who knows who will come? :shrug: Generations later?

MtRider....[seeing some cases of W*Ho addiction here...... :laughkick: ]

MtRider....[seeing some cases of W*Ho addiction here...... :laughkick: ]

And you, my dear, are first in line at the W*Ho treatment center...lol

I understand real life getting swamped for the next couple of weeks and I look forward to y'all beginning to illustrate through the written word, your dream homesteads.

Knowing MR, Mother and AH, there'll be monkey wrenches thrown in from time to time, but that's how we all learn.

As an outsider to this journey, I want to thank every participant because for your contributions. I know that not only I, but all your readers, have learned alot. Just yesterday, one of my puppies fell into the water outside and got stuck and was freezing and crying. Reading about hyperthermia in the W*Ho thread brought to mind things I could do to help get this puppy warmed up and safe again.

If I were y'all, I'd be making all the lists you'll need so that you can BOMBARD Mt Rider once she starts your new W*Ho homesteading thread in January.

Give her a taste of her own medicine, albeit a different flavor.

:0327:

lol

Has there been any thought to conflict resolution, rules, etc?

Town council, mayor, etc.

-

How will it be decided if two want the same plot of land, or someone moves in and wants to build a house of worship of another faith, or everyone wants to breed their animal to the same sire, or... I don't know - someone just punches someone else in the mouth?

With the human race involved there will be conflict. To breed it out of us, would result in dead rabbit-beings. It must be dealt with.

Oh I see how you are you are just going to leave me perched precariously on this narrow goat trail on the side of this "hill" all the while I am holding my breath trying not to slip off the side. Just so I can get through this pass, around the deathtrap curve to see my new home :0327: ...and I have to hang here for two weeks???????? :faint3:

And to make matters worse WITHDRAWALS!!!!!!! Now just what am I going to do while the guys go play with their new toys :cheeky-smiley-067:

:grouphug: still love you Mother :wub:

:24: :24: :24:

Town council, mayor, etc.

-

How will it be decided if two want the same plot of land, or someone moves in and wants to build a house of worship of another faith, or everyone wants to breed their animal to the same sire, or... I don't know - someone just punches someone else in the mouth?

With the human race involved there will be conflict. To breed it out of us, would result in dead rabbit-beings. It must be dealt with.

Leah we are just going to shoot the trouble makers and serve them up for dinner :24:

Just joking :behindsofa:

Nah...MT3b...You're already thru that last dratted NARROW spot and ...well, clear at the TOP of the ridge/mountain. But it's a very nice meadow we're circled in while waiting the go-ahead for our turn to proceed .........D O W N.........to the valley.

B)

That make you feel any better?

Search thru and find the clues given about Big Valley. The Rockin' J bonfire nite, my last post, etc. Then start designing your own homestead within the parameters given. This isn't paradise ...or it wouldn't be a challenge...but it's supposed to be pretty bountiful for a primitive lifestyle. About at a Little House on the Prairie level of civilization....with a few gadgets from the future thrown in. :lol:

Oh Leah.. :rolleyes: ...it's likely something else that might be discussed. An elected council at the very least. You noticed I've dodged that one till ....ahem...until you brought it up. :hug3: Thanks a lot. LOL [Mother has been bringing it up too and I keep ignoring her. LOL ] As it's still a small population, and the Valley is large, some things are much less likely to come up. People aren't sitting in each others pockets. But, some things will inevitably cross over with one's neighbors and....

It's open for discussion, folks. Less governing is better. But some "civilizing" influence is certainly going to have to be in place .....were any of us ever to get into a situation such as this. :shrug: As homesteaders, what would you be looking for?

HOWEVER......"discussion" means everyone on BEST POLITENESS, please. NO :frying pan: or that discussion will end. :tapfoot: You can best state things by saying:

" I, personally, would never get into a group unless....OR if they did this/that....."

"I, personally, would prefer organizing like this...."

"I, personally, think that this is/is not necessary for small groups..."

You get the idea. This still IS UNreality, afterall. Play nice!

MtRider [swats MT3B..... "shoots them and serves them dinner..." WHAT did she say? :o ]

Edited by Mt_Rider
MtRider [swats MT3B..... "shoots them and serves them dinner..." WHAT did she say? :o ]

Hey Chef can cook and old boot so that it taste good I figured trouble makers would be a breeze for him :24:

Or we could use them as buzzard bait to keep them out of the gardens :24:

MT3B slinking off and hiding :behindsofa: I promise to behave.

Well guess I will go read what kind of cliff hanger we have
When I told my dearest, he said, "Sorta like Moses at the Jordan river" LOL

------------------------------------------------------------

MT3B :008Laughing:

------------------------------------------------------------

And you, my dear, are first in line at the W*Ho treatment center...lol
DH asked if it's a 12 point system? LOL (I neeeeed......)

clear at the TOP of the ridge/mountain. But it's a very nice meadow we're circled in while waiting the go-ahead...

That make you feel any better?

Yes, ooohhhhh, and I am taking notes.....LOL

As a matter of fact, Gunslinger808 asked me about that a couple of weeks ago and we discussed it and those who are in the W*Ho train and those who will be coming later.

We would possibly need a nominating and voting system to choose who's going to be :baseballbat:

I vote for Darlene. :happy0203:

Seriously, I could hope for the ideal and we would not need any authority figures, but in reality, or Un-reality in this case, it is an issue to be addressed, if the powers that be, haven't already decided.

I am refreshing my knowledge, researching some info about animal husbandry that I'm a little sketchy on, in other words, I've forgotten thru the years, and planning my dream home. Ooohhhh, and I AM dreaming. The last 40 some years, I've spent in less than 'ideal' circumstances and have always kept my 'teenage' dream house in the back of my mind, hoping 'someday' to have it. Now, in this wonderful forum, here on MsS :wub: , I have the opportunity to bring it to 'life'. A very special Christmas present indeed, even if it is only in our imaginations.

Looking forward to the hot springs :bathbaby: (Maybe I can whip together a bathing suit while we wait.)

:happy0203:

:bouquet:

:grouphug:

Hehehehe Annarchy that post was a hoot! I am still giggling lol. :008Laughing: Sounds like our homes are much alike! Ahem...now to that little teeny ? about the law and order...I still think we ought to string up the bad guys and hang 'em! Hang 'em high!

Oh woops...sorry lol. Been watching a slew of westerns lately. I don't know why either? :shrug:

I would vote for some kind of town counsel being set up. Maybe 2 or 3 representatives from each wagon train? If so can I be the first to nominate? :D Okay I didn't hear any NO's so I would love to nominate Mt. R., Mother and A.H. who did such a fine and wonderful job of getting us here and leading us to the land of milk and honey! :curtsey::girlneener: The laws to govern us being those set up by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and The Declaration of Independence. Others as needed. Just an idea and wondering what everyone else has come up with? Oh this should be fun to do! Really!

Now about that land....are we drawing this up in square or rectangular sections? With the size given of the valley floor below, sounds like either would work. I am getting out pen to paper and taking more notes as I go back through old posts of Mt. R's looking for clues. LOL I feel like Inspector Clueseau. Hehehe...

Oh, and for anyone else interested in that book I mentioned earlier about Women of the old West and how they dealt with homesteading and such here is the info

Leaning Into the Wind: Women Write From The Heart Of The Old West

Edited by Linda Hasselstrom, Gaydell Collier, and Nancy Curtis

ISBN 0-395-83738-3

Houghton Mifflin Company

Okay off to search for more clues, dream about the homestead and wonder what this 12 step program will be like lol.

Q