MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wagons Ho COMMENTS

Mother

Oh, and for anyone else interested in that book I mentioned earlier about Women of the old West and how they dealt with homesteading and such here is the info

Leaning Into the Wind: Women Write From The Heart Of The Old West

Edited by Linda Hasselstrom, Gaydell Collier, and Nancy Curtis

ISBN 0-395-83738-3

Houghton Mifflin Company

Okay off to search for more clues, dream about the homestead and wonder what this 12 step program will be like lol.

Q

Yes thanks for the PM on that, I did find it on ebay and ordered it! Got a hardcover for under $5.00 including shipping ! (happy dance :darlenedance: )

Thanks for the help.

:AmishMichael2:

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rectangles make more sense to me than squares. There is many a 'rectangular' plot of land around here with one side jaggedly following a river, another stopping at the top or bottom of a hill. Then you can put your house closest to town or neighbors, and the animals can roam farther (further?) away. For a while until it gets built up, you might value getting to town/neighbors more than you'll want complete privacy.

You used to drive around and see 3 or 4 houses clustered at the corner of the property lines like a 4 way stop, with the cows and corn/wheat fields flowing away from all 4 houses. (Did that make sense?)

So, I am a bit late...we had to go out of town and I was without my computer! :pc_coffee: I could hardly stand the suspense!

Well, all here is my confession.....I am a ...............city girl! :( I never had a pet growing up. I remember my mom canning peaches...once! I think that we had a garden once. Of course now my sister and brother tell me that they remember having chickens and such, but it was before I was born! :shrug: Go figure! I think that we moved to town when I was about a year old. But, I am a quick learner! My DH spent summers on his grandparents farm when he was growing up. DH's grandpa was a country doctor in Oklahoma.

We probably will want land closer to town so that we can start a church. If that meets with the approval of our community.

Leah, you have been reading my mind about the four corners thing haven't you? Stage coach stops often turned into the corners and branched out either direction from there. In the small village I grew up in we had a church on one corner, a school on the other, and for a while I lived in the former post office that was kitty corner across from the former general store/gas station. Houses all up and down the road from those areas.

CeeGee, CITY girl!!! :o Never had a PET :o:o . It's a good thing you decided to come with us. We can correct those things you know. Our valley is going to be "country" for a long time......and I just happen to have a few "pets" that will need homes soon. :whistling:

I would like a church in our valley but until it can be established,,,,,are you going to 'ride circuit'? I know the valley is only 10 mile by 20 mile but....... :) AND are you going to do home weddings? It looks like there might be a few of them in the valley soon.

:bighug2:

Rectangles make more sense to me than squares. There is many a 'rectangular' plot of land around here with one side jaggedly following a river, another stopping at the top or bottom of a hill. Then you can put your house closest to town or neighbors, and the animals can roam farther (further?) away. For a while until it gets built up, you might value getting to town/neighbors more than you'll want complete privacy.

You used to drive around and see 3 or 4 houses clustered at the corner of the property lines like a 4 way stop, with the cows and corn/wheat fields flowing away from all 4 houses. (Did that make sense?)

Oh yeah that makes tons of sense! And I like that idea. We could all help each other security wise and helping each other in the summer with canning and such without too much distance to cover. What about a road (dirt is fine) in the middle of it, like going in between the four houses putting two to a side? I know roads and such are way down the road pardon the pun lol, but it's just an idea to throw out there...

PS...I don't think there isn't one person in our group that I wouldn't welcome as a neighbor! LOL even city girls!

Q

Edited by quiltys41

Whew! I was afraid that once my "secret" was out I would be banned to the outer edges! I have come along way already....I can, I garden (some), I crochet, I know how to cook in a wood cook stove. I am not totally helpless. :sEm_blush:

I will talk all of the ideas over with MrG and we will come up with a plan for the church. Maybe for the summer we can set up a tent and have a tent meetin'!

we will need that Church so Thanks for setting it up for us.

Maybe in the begining meet more often but once we are spread out maybe every 2 weeks.

In the summer you could hold it our doors with just a few things around, maybe use the Lodge as a backdrop and if it rains we could all met inside.

we did bring our crank recoad player with us and we have a few old 78's of 'church songs' adn I bet the guys with the 'gittars' have a bunch of songs that we could sing as well.

MtRider....[seeing some cases of W*Ho addiction here...... :laughkick: ]

And you, my dear, are first in line at the W*Ho treatment center...lol

I understand real life getting swamped for the next couple of weeks and I look forward to y'all beginning to illustrate through the written word, your dream homesteads.

Knowing MR, Mother and AH, there'll be monkey wrenches thrown in from time to time, but that's how we all learn.

As an outsider to this journey, I want to thank every participant because for your contributions. I know that not only I, but all your readers, have learned alot. Just yesterday, one of my puppies fell into the water outside and got stuck and was freezing and crying. Reading about hyperthermia in the W*Ho thread brought to mind things I could do to help get this puppy warmed up and safe again.

If I were y'all, I'd be making all the lists you'll need so that you can BOMBARD Mt Rider once she starts your new W*Ho homesteading thread in January.

Give her a taste of her own medicine, albeit a different flavor.

:0327:

lol

Wow, I am so glad you could save your puppy Darlene! Now you see why we try to be careful not to give out wrong or misleading info when we cover "real" topics in our UN-reality story everyone. It could be used by someone like Darlene did. What if we had given out bad information? That would be disasterous in my thinking. Really, I am just so tickled that we could play even a small tiny part in helping out Darlene! Hey, have you posted any pictures of all of them yet and I just missed them somehow? I really love seeing puppies. And one of my most favorite smells in the world is puppy breath LOL. Yeah, I'm a nut. I just love the simple things of life!

Whew! I was afraid that once my "secret" was out I would be banned to the outer edges! I have come along way already....I can, I garden (some), I crochet, I know how to cook in a wood cook stove. I am not totally helpless. :sEm_blush:

I will talk all of the ideas over with MrG and we will come up with a plan for the church. Maybe for the summer we can set up a tent and have a tent meetin'!

CeeGee, I think a church would be so wonderful! To me, God is the center of my life followed closely by my Husband and my family. So I really need a shepard here on earth too lol. I don't know how the others feel, but for me, I would love to see a church and quick too! Even like Michael said, something outside would be great! Outside worshiping our God surrounded by the majesty of His handywork! Excellent idea! :grouphug:

CeeGee, If you can garden, even a little then that will help. Don't worry, you will have pleanty of neighbors to help you with what you don't know or understand. Same for canning and such too. Hey we all came this far together so now is no time to abandon that closeness and sense of community, right?! Get together with some of us, whoever you would like and find out if they can be a neighbor to you and give you a hand learning some of this. Maybe someone that doesn't know how to cook on a woodstove but wants to learn? You could trade lessons in that for maybe gardening or canning lessons. Or lessons on how to raise livestock! I don't know about the others here, but I love teaching people how to do that stuff. It's like passing on a dying art or craft. You pass it on in hopes that it wont die out or get lost. And especially in a situation like this where it will help someone do better in their lives. It's rewarding to teach stuff and to find someone to learn it is like hitting the lottery lol.

Did I mention that I agreed we need some kind of law and order in our new place? Yep, and I thought I would throw out a suggestion. That we have kind of a town counsil with maybe three from Mr. H's wagon train and three from ours. And I would like to nominate Mt.R., Mother and Michael for those three spots! LOL! Hey, they did a great job leading us here and getting every one of us through. I thought they would be great to keep that going as town counsil members!

One more thing...As I go through Mt.R's old posts on Wagon's Ho, I am writing down the stuff...like the place is 10x20 [edit..MILES, not acres] and surrounded by mountains on all sides. And that there are streams all over the place. Stuff like that. Then I am going to draw up a rectangle of our 80 acres and start drawing in where I want the house, the well, trees, the barn, the garden, etc...I am going to scan it into the computer and then post it here in the comment section if that is okay with everyone?? I wont do it if you all think I shouldn't! But I just thought a visual like that may help someone else out in planning their own spot and if we get some comments back on ours, we could do some changing on it for the better! :D :wink (2):

Okay off to read. Have a blessed Sabbath everyone!

Q

Edited by Mt_Rider
fix dimensions of Valley

Quiltys, first of all, I would ask you NOT to post your dream of a homestead here but wait instead until we get the new thread going. It can be part of your DEED that way. All of you can be working on this if you want but please don't give too much away here as there will be some more info coming in that thread you might want to use.

Also, that valley is 10 by 20 MILES, not acres. That's 128,000 acres. A vast difference for sure. It's BIG!!! That will give you an idea of how far between homesteads there might be. An 80 acre plot could be 1866 feet on a side if it was square. (as an aside, according to the site below, an acre was the amount of land that could be plowed in a single day by an oxen or technically in a morning as the oxen had to be grazed all afternoon to recouperate.) Find out more here.....

http://www.sizes.com/units/acre.htm

This is almost as much fun as getting to the valley was,,,,,, :D

And you, my dear, are first in line at the W*Ho treatment center...lol

---------------------

If I were y'all, I'd be making all the lists you'll need so that you can BOMBARD Mt Rider once she starts your new W*Ho homesteading thread in January.

Give her a taste of her own medicine, albeit a different flavor.

HEY!

How did I miss this?????

DAR....LEEEEEEEENE! :tapfoot:

You are SUCH a trouble-maker! Just for that, we're all gonna start writing some storyline about Darlene and her clan arriving just behind us ....being led in [with our late mail] by a couple of Jacob and Joy's sons.

AND then SHE can be the first wagon DOWN the precipice....er, I mean trail.

:girlneener:

Quiltys, first of all, I would ask you NOT to post your dream of a homestead here but wait instead until we get the new thread going. It can be part of your DEED that way. All of you can be working on this if you want but please don't give too much away here as there will be some more info coming in that thread you might want to use.

Also, that valley is 10 by 20 MILES, not acres. That's 128,000 acres. A vast difference for sure. It's BIG!!! That will give you an idea of how far between homesteads there might be. An 80 acre plot could be 1866 feet on a side if it was square. (as an aside, according to the site below, an acre was the amount of land that could be plowed in a single day by an oxen or technically in a morning as the oxen had to be grazed all afternoon to recouperate.) Find out more here.....

http://www.sizes.com/units/acre.htm

This is almost as much fun as getting to the valley was,,,,,, :D

Thanks for that link Mother, it's great and I bookmarked it under my research stuff. :D 10 x 20 acres? WOW, that is way bigger than I thought it was! Very nice in deed. Okay, that will make planning for us a little easier too. And I will hold off posting that pic I drew up until later on. Good idea. I am so glad that I spoke up first before just posting it lol. I could have gotten into deep doo-doo! :behindsofa: I agree, it is almost as much fun and I am really getting into this, can ya' tell lol??

I have my map o f our homestaed made already too (but was asked NOT to post it yet)

Well what I have are 3 maps , its part of our '3 year plan'. Start small and then grow as we can clear more land and put up more buildings.

and just in case.......................

NOBODY better be jumpin' my claim! LOL

Thanks for sharing that idea! Sounds like a good one. But I am having a tough time just doing one map lol. Maybe I will do a second one leaving off all the scribbles and stuff and make it one of what we want the finished place to look like when we are all done with it? Sound like a plan?

Mt.R.....thanks for fixing my post on the size of the valley. :hug3: I wouldn't want anyone to read that and get the wrong dimensions. You're a sweetie. :D

Q

Don't worry CeeGee, when we moved from the farm, I was a teen, we moved into the heart of a big city. Quite the culture shock to a little farm girl. Got educated real quick. Big D (MIL) is strictly a big city Lady, with all the bells and whistles, her DH did everything for her. She's been riding along cushioned in pillows in her buggy, still being waited on hand and foot.

Hmmmm... who's opening the spa at the hot springs? I'll be looking forward to making regular visits to relieve my tired bones. Maybe Naomi will open a salon to manicure our tired hands.

I really liked the info about an acre, thank you Mother.

Gotta go, stews on :campfire:

Well I'm gonna search for my plot of land till I find one that has a nice&hot [...but not TOO hot] springs right there. I will put up a greenhouse around it and add the cabin onto that. :curtsey: Sulfer-smelling heating. Hmmm......... :P

Wracking my brain for low-tech but also low manual labor means&ways. :0327:

MtRider [ ...... did I mention my IRL hot tub is now kaput? :yar: And no tub in the tiny bathroom either, only shower. Wah! ]

Do they make an inflatable one that blower could be battery powered and recharged with solar?

:wormie2:

John

NOW JOHN! you have gone and told everyone what I was getting for CHristmas!

* This was goiing to be my post on April 1, 2010 on the Wagon Train Trip but seeing we got bumped up a week I didn't get to post it. So now it is what I am getting for Christmas this year:

Well we got the problem solved about our cabin being built the first year we are on the homestead. Opened a box we found in the wagon from Michael's Brother and it has an 'Instant Cabin' in it. Seems all you have to do is pull a 'ripcord' (like those rafts) and it will inflate the walls until it is a small 2 room 'home' with a green roof and outside walls that look like a log cabin. It says that the 2 rooms can be used as a bedroom and living/kitchen room it even comes with a 3 sided piece of heavy tin so you can put a stove inside.

Also there was a smaller box in that box so we could get a garden going faster: small box of cornflakes (you bury them, water them and in 3 days they are up and growing corn). 1 can of chick peas and small bag of chick grower feed (seems you dig a hole and drop in a chickpea and some chick grower feed, Then cover with grass or straw [NOT DIRT!] and within a few days add more chick grower, Within 2 weeks you will see the chicks start to come up out of the straw. When you see them you have to put them into a pen, they will start laying eggs for you in 1 month. Also tomato seeds and a small can of tomato paste, seems we are to cut newspaper in thin strips and then put the paste on 1 side and then 'glue' the seeds to that. Put the strips into the garden in a row and bury with soil. The paste has special stuff in it that makes the seeds grow fast! Faster then the one you see in the ads! So in 1 month you will be picking your first ripe tomatoes.

There is another box we have not opened because it was address to our old home in Lyons, NY and we don't live there anymore?

Edited by Amishway Homesteaders

:24::24::24::24::24::24::24::24::24::24:

I am in TEARS here Michael....STOP already. PHEW! I WANT one of them, do they multiply if you put them into a calculater before opening?

Gotta leave room for a town too, dontcha know.

Need to build a spa, nail salon, baseball field, stables, a nice eatin' place, meeting hall, etc. santahat.gif

A nice, big building in the middle somewhere would work for all that, also a quilting bee/weaving shed - farmer's market/exchange. There must be people who grow/make/raise things others may not have. Others who want to learn skills. Good place to have classes for adults; kids too, if they won't all be home-schooled.

Edited by Leah

Hmmm, I like the farmers market idea. It would be a good place to buy/sell/barter for food and livestock too. I know we will be on the look out for some gilts once we get a homestead going. I have got to have my bacon, ham and lard!! :0327::girlneener::thumbs: And maybe for the quiltingbee and such, if we had a community building there where the farmers market is held, it could double for those things too.

Wow, ya' know, this is hard work setting up a place lol...

Q

Oh my, :008Laughing: Michael, we've got some dogwood and sandalwood if you want to trade some chick peas and tomato paste...... Seems all you have to do is cover with some sand and in a couple of days you have pups. The sandalwood takes an extra day to produce sandals. :happy0203:

Can I be lazy and not look this up myself? :busted: What years did the pioneers take the wagons west?

I'm thinking of doing a email story like this for my far-away Grsons. I'd make up a pioneer family which just happens to match their family characters. Mom/Dad/Auntie/Boy1 & Boy2.

Grson1 may be able to read it to little brother if I keep the words simple.

Something I'm pondering while missing family so far away..... :yar:

MtRider [...I *think* this family will head for the Colorado Rockies... B) ]

Hmmm, I like the farmers market idea. It would be a good place to buy/sell/barter for food and livestock too. I know we will be on the look out for some gilts once we get a homestead going. I have got to have my bacon, ham and lard!! :0327::girlneener::thumbs: And maybe for the quilting bee and such, if we had a community building there where the farmers market is held, it could double for those things too.

Wow, ya' know, this is hard work setting up a place lol...

Q

There will be a great deal to do. It will make it much easier if everyone does not need to do everything at the beginning. For example, I would love to trade pigs for dairy products rather than add cows or goats to the menagerie. There will be people who can doctor animals, and shoe horses - skills many will not have.

The get-togethers did create 'things' like quilts for newborns and barns to replace burnt ones; but also cemented friendships and got folks out of the same four walls and sparks energy. We all know that cabin fever can be a real problem.

The idea of westward expansion began in the 1830's. There was a Western Emigration Society in 1840 that set up trains leaving from Missouri. Between 1840 and 1860 there was almost a continous migration of wagons west. It was amazing the routes that people took to get to a jumping off place. They came from the east by rail, boat, or wagon. A popular place to start from was Western Iowa. There were ferry's on the Mississippi River to take the trains across. The Railroad went across the river in 1856. Brave people, those pioneers...or crazy,,, maybe both.

My Grkids all have loved my 'pioneer' stories. I bet your's will too, Mt R. After you do a wagon train one, you can send a log cabin one. If you email it, and can't send pictures because of dial up, why not send a couple of links to pioneer sites with pictures? There's also some really neat Kids covered wagon sites with things for them to do if they have internet access.

Looks like you're all getting ideas for homesteads. Here's a few things to think about when you start making plans. Take into consideration that the winters might come with deep snow. You will want animals close enough for you not to get lost in a blizzard while trying to care for them. Same with a water source. How far do you want to carry water? How far is your wood lot? Where are you stacking your fire wood? For that matter,,,,how MUCH wood will you need for the winter? What about food storage? Do you know how much you will have to store for your family? If you plan on doing any canning, where are you storing it so it doesn't freeze in the winter, especially when you happen to be gone and no one is there to keep the cabin warm? How and where are you doing Laundry in the winter? Where DO you empty the water in the winter without creating an ice skating rink? What about the outhouse? How close do you want it? AND how FAR do you want it in the wintertime? :o

As if you didn't already have enough to think about :D