MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wagons Ho COMMENTS

Mother

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just 2 hours and 25 minutes to the 1st and Wagon Ho will be on its way again.

I have missed you guys. I was always checking several times each day. The excitement is mounting.

KATHYE

Thanks, Annarchy. You made me :laughkick:

Sheesh, y'all. :bounce: Ready to see the Valley already? :rolleyes:

OK HOMEWORK FIRST........

I need some geometry done.

---You have a valley basin floor which is 10 miles by 20 miles roughly. Oval shape. Think REALLLLLY LARGE football stadium with the seats representing the hillsides going up and up and up.

---The North and Eastern sides are pretty steep. the Eastern side is 1,500 feet UP altho not a sheer cliff. Only towards the top.

---The South and West sides are much more gradual and not as high. {that's part of what we are figuring...} More mountains beyond them further away.

[{sheesh} can't even spell "mountain"....my brain is NOT doing well IRL, btw :shakinghead: ]

OK...what I am looking for is an estimate for Winter Solstice [Dec] and Summer Solstice.....what time would the sun hit the valley in the morning AND what time would it set in the evening. At those two extreme times per year.

Basic question, how much are the mountains around us going to affect our sunlight hours in the summer and in the winter?????????

AND....does it matter much between the East side of the valley and the West side of the valley???? {10 miles wide}

Anyone want to take this on?

:happy0203:

MtRider.... Happy New Year everyone. [yes, I know it's JANUARY in 3 hours..... :bounce: BUT WHO SAID WE ROLL OUT ON JANUARY FIRST?????? B) ]

here's what I got so far..........................

In northern states, land with a southern aspect is the best choice for early crops, as south-facing slopes warm up sooner in the spring. Furthermore, the closer to perpendicular the southern slope is to the angle of sunlight, the more quickly it warms.

Billings, Montana (zone 5 ?) sunrise and sunset times are:

Mar. 22,2010 - 7:13 am and 7:29 pm which is 12h 16m 7s sun angle is at 45.1°

Dec. 23, 2010 - 7:53 am and 4:33 pm which is 8h 40m 11s sun angle is at 20.8°

[/size]

So if we have mountains that are 1,00' high and you are homesteading in the middle of our valley on a southern slope we would need to subtract 47m? (hight - angle * zone + slope = I have no idea?) minutes from the sunrise and sunset as the angle of the sun would put it below the mountains at hese times of each day. Now it will still be light enough but if you want 'full sun' cropes growning then you will have to take this into consideration as to the leanth of time for your 'growing season'. That would be from 120 to 180 days long so we should shy on the 120 days side of that? :AmishMichael2:

here's what I got so far..........................

In northern states, land with a southern aspect is the best choice for early crops, as south-facing slopes warm up sooner in the spring. Furthermore, the closer to perpendicular the southern slope is to the angle of sunlight, the more quickly it warms.

[/size]

Billings, Montana (zone 5 ?) sunrise and sunset times are:

Mar. 22,2010 - 7:13 am and 7:29 pm which is 12h 16m 7s sun angle is at 45.1°

Dec. 23, 2010 - 7:53 am and 4:33 pm which is 8h 40m 11s sun angle is at 20.8°

So if we have mountains that are 1,00' high and you are homesteading in the middle of our valley on a southern slope we would need to subtract 47m? (hight - angle * zone + slope = I have no idea?) minutes from the sunrise and sunset as the angle of the sun would put it below the mountains at hese times of each day. Now it will still be light enough but if you want 'full sun' cropes growning then you will have to take this into consideration as to the leanth of time for your 'growing season'. That would be from 120 to 180 days long so we should shy on the 120 days side of that? :AmishMichael2:

And those on the east slope are going to have less sunlight per day also. Since the sun rises in the east, it will take it longer to come over the higher mountains on that side. Also will effect the NE and SE corners of the oval about the same. Best amount of sunlight may be right smack dab in the middle of the valley. If you go to the west side, you will gain the morning sun but lack the afternoon or early evening sun due to those mountains, but not as bad as the east side since the mountains on the west side are further away and cause less of a problem blocking the sunlight that way. LOL I hope that makes sense???? :bounce:

Hummmm I think there is going to be a race on here shortly LOL

Q

ATTENTIONJ READER and WAGONEERS!

We are about to start the new Thread!

SOMETIME Tonight or at best Saturday?

SO:

walk off those extra pounds we all put on

over the Holidays because you ALL will be

WALKING Down into the Valley! WHAT!

Yes that right! You will see why as soon as

Mother starts the new thread and we start

to post the first few days of Life in "The Valley".

We have LOTS planned for you in the days ahead.........

so come on - Lets get this Wagon Trian a movin'

:AmishMichael2:

As you have all been waiting for,,,,the new Thread is UP! :D

I'm sure you have also noticed that it is LOCKED!!! :o Sorry about that, but as Michael says, we have some 'adventures' in line for you, first of which will be getting down the mountain we are standing on. For this, Wagoneers, we will be setting the stage and then you can jump in with your 'experiences'.

We won't be rushing to the lake either as we have an 'obstacle' (or two) along the way.

As a reference, we will all be together yet until we 'finally' reach the lake and after a day or so R&O (rest and organization LOL) and a few parameters (guidlines?) you will be taking off on your own to look for your ideal land. We are hoping for some journals of this so we can all 'go along' with you. Once you choose your land (after you finally get to go look for it that is) we'd like you to tell us it's location (on the map) and a description of the land. (More about this in the thread) We have given you a brief description of the valley and the simple map to get you thinking. Michael can give us more info about the map later if we need it.

In a day or so the thread will open with "We're going to do WHAT?"

Happy New Year everyone!!! :D

:bighug2:

FYI.

to view the map you can 'chick' on the part at the top, and when it opens in a new window move your mouse over it and when you see the '+' chick and it will get bigger.

Now when you are looking at a place to homestead here are a few ideas to help you out.

As of now the "X" is Micheal's and Lori's Homestead (hey I made the map!), the "M" is Mothers (with a waterfall)and the "R" is Mt_Riders (with hot springs)Homesteads.

The Lodge will be part of the 'town' so if you want to set up 'Home' near the Town pick a place there of just over the river to the east. South of the Dam is mostly flad land so you can spread out there?

There will be a lot of other hot springs, streams, hills, and flatland - but YOU must Find them where ever you homestead and report back to us. We just hope that not everone wants to pick the same place to live. LOL

MAN are WE about to have some FUN!

Pouting...Michael, I can't get the map to open in a new window :sad-smiley-012:

A bit more info. The livable portion of the valley (not including the steep cliff faces and etc) is 10 X 20 miles. (200 square mile) That is 128,000 acres of land. (640 acres in a square mile) Each individual adult gets forty acres and even with our big family group we only amass 400 acres. That is only approx. 3/4 of a mile square. (a little over a half inch square on the map, 1/320 th of the map?) There is plenty of room for all and more besides. :D

Works fine for me Michael, when I click the little magnifing glass it opens up a new page and I can then enlarge it. Have not tried to print it yet.

:wormie2:

John

Thanks - Glad to know it works. ;)

BUT......................

wait a minute - I can do it Mother can't?

Wormie can but Quiltys41 can't?

HEY!

It must be a 'guy' thing. ROFL :24:

Sorry, there is NO little blue thing in the left hand corner nor is there a magnifying glass. :o

Q, Michael's showing a definite lack of proper sympathy for us poor little women. :tapfoot: I believe he will make up for it by chopping wood and carrying water for the next week or so if he can't get it fixed...Won't you dear Michael? :D

Sorry, there is NO little blue thing in the left hand corner nor is there a magnifying glass.

Mother it is not on the map but on the black bar where it says it has been reduced. In the left hand corner there should be a little magnifying glass next where it says it has been reduced somelike 92%. Actually all you have to do is click the black bar and it should open in the map in another window.

Edited by mommato3boys

There isn't a little magnifying glass or such for me. (I'm a Mac)

When I Right+click, I can open it in a separate window and save it, but it is the same size as the one on the page, approximately 200W x 400L pixels.

When we get home tonight, I'll use my PC and see how it looks.

IRL, we will be going back home today. Thoughts of our WH trip wafting in my mind, hoping no one gives us any trouble or obstacles to endure, yet. LOL

Sorry, there is NO little blue thing in the left hand corner nor is there a magnifying glass. :o

Q, Michael's showing a definite lack of proper sympathy for us poor little women. :tapfoot: I believe he will make up for it by chopping wood and carrying water for the next week or so if he can't get it fixed...Won't you dear Michael? :D

Well seeing I will be chopping wood and carrying water IRL anyway (temps. in the teens all week) , I see no need to comply to your wishes.

Anyway if it works for some it must be at your end of the world?

Question...Did Mr. H say what the Red R M and X stood for and if they had ever had a chance to check out the side of the lake?

OOPS Missed the post about the R is Mt. Rider, M is Mothers and X is Michael and Lori's ...Need to put that over there with the map Michael :blush:

Any I have picked out mine :darlenedance: Also picked out a back up just in case :happy0203:

Edited by mommato3boys
Question...Did Mr. H say what the Red R M and X stood for and if they had ever had a chance to check out the side of the lake? OK - I see you saw it. LOL

B T W -can you tell that Mr.H and Mr.S and Mt_rider have looked at that map a few time whilte we were on the trail getting here? That was fun to make.

OOPS Missed the post about the R is Mt. Rider, M is Mothers and X is Michael and Lori's ...Need to put that over there with the map Michael :blush:

I will as soon as it is unlocked? Hopefully by this afternoon.

Any I have picked out mine :darlenedance: Also picked out a back up just in case :happy0203:

Bu,,,, But,,, But, MT3B,,,,you haven't even SEEN the land yet??? What if it's :o FLOODED? What if it's :o GRAVEL!!!

Tsk tsk,,,you are as bad as I am MT3B.....I, however, am reserving the right to MOVE my red M just in case there's no soil where I THINK I want to go.

Yes, Michael, I do believe MY world is a bit messed up :D and our weather too. We are going to have below zero all week. BRRRRRRRR! and I am hauling wood too but not chopping it. Someone else is doing that. LOL!

(working on getting the thread open)

Stay warm,

The thread is open. I'm really looking forward to hearing about your 'days' coming down off that pass. Let the WRITING and FUN begin,,,,again. :D

Warning, we might be down off that pass but we are still up in the hills.....How much excitement can the wagoneers take?