MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wagons Ho COMMENTS

Mother

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the upper left hand corner of the picture Quilty, it's a little blue thing.

:wormie2:

John

Must be me, but there isn't one on the picture that comes up on windows Vista? No magnifying glass either. And if you click on that little black bar or the words "not to scale" is does absolutely nothing (no I don't use a pop-up blocker). Guess hubby and I don't get to play now? Or can we pick a place without having the blowup of them map? Not sure how this is gonna work LOL...

Q

Edited by quiltys41
Look at the upper left hand corner of the picture Quilty, it's a little blue thing.

:wormie2:

John

Must be me, but there isn't one on the picture that comes up on windows Vista? No magnifying glass either. And if you click on that little black bar or the words "not to scale" is does absolutely nothing (no I don't use a pop-up blocker). Guess hubby and I don't get to play now? Or can we pick a place without having the blowup of them map? Not sure how this is gonna work LOL...

Q

IF you can 'read' the words that are on the map? (like 'not to scale' or Dam) then it is 'full sized' for you already and that is all there is. It will not get so big that you can see the ants building a anthill right where Mother is planning her homestead? LOL

Go ahead and look things over on the map , like where the lake is , do you want to live on the East side or West side or are you picking South. Water near the river or are you going to find a stream on your land (we did) that is enought for your needs? and you can decide where you think the better part of the valley would work for what you plan to do on your Homestead- Grow vegetables, raise livestock, live in 'town' live way out in the middle of nowhere all alone ( Like the Amishway Homesteaders are doiing). But we have to wait until we get to the Lodge and then you can go off and 'scout' out your land, find things on it and repost back to the group. Cool.

:AmishMichael2:

Remember while looking at Michael's wonderful map [isn't it coooool! ] that the tiny tree indicators are just that....not representing individual trees. But just that those areas are more heavily wooded. The areas without tiny tree indicators does NOT mean NO trees. There are plenty of trees here and there and EVERYwhere. But there is certainly more open land in the clear spaces on the map.

You get to chose and tell us what you are finding. Same for the water. Any number of ponds, creeks, and streams are there to be found. A number of hot springs too. But the map shows our major lake [1 mile wide and 2 miles long approx] and the rivers. They are fed from the watersheds for miles around so they will be running year-round. Higher in spring of course. These rivers are not huge like the Mississippi. NOT! More like the width of two country gravel roads and their ditches. More or less. And deep enough for our watercraft of canoe/raft. ....um, we have to build those, huh? Streams will be shallow mostly but some deep fishin' holes. But the rivers are deep and running strong. [MtR trying to figure out how to harness some of that river=power! ]

To get scale....remember the valley is 10x20 miles so I printed the map, then divided the length by 20 equal sections and the width by 10 equal sections and got a grid of square miles. A LOT of square miles here. As with Mother's computations of how many 40-80 acre plots can fit within a square mile.....we've got plenty of room. :D

MtRider :wave:

Quiltys...it's got to be VISTA...I have it too and I'm always finding some discrepcency like that. :pout: It's true though, the map is fine just the way it is. There is nothing on it besides what you see. The magnifying glass just brings it a bit closer is all.

We've got a couple people down the slope so far. They had some close calls. Can't wait to hear how the rest of you did.

(((((((everyone))))))))

Quiltys...it's got to be VISTA...I have it too and I'm always finding some discrepcency like that. :pout: It's true though, the map is fine just the way it is. There is nothing on it besides what you see. The magnifying glass just brings it a bit closer is all.

We've got a couple people down the slope so far. They had some close calls. Can't wait to hear how the rest of you did.

(((((((everyone))))))))

Thanks Mother, I was starting to wonder lol. I thought it was the Vista too. And thanks so much to Michael for making the map and Wormie for emailing it to me. I tried to take it and overlay a 10x20 grid over it, but I am so puter illiterate that I can't do it lol.

Will have to go read what everyone is writing and see what I can come up with today in between that and planning out this years garden and getting the seed order together, going to have a full day! Hugs e1...

Q

Edited by quiltys41

All of you are AMAZING! Your wonderful insightful, descriptive words are what is making this thread into an awesome venture. :thumbs:

Are you ready for more. We're heading down tomorrow but get out your slickers and rain gear. (just thought I'd warn you)

Great work everyone. More challenges coming up.

Leah, from my vantage point it WAS just like that. Did I mention I really detest heights almost as much as I hate confined areas? That was even hard to WRITE!

That valley sure is beautiful seen through the eyes of our wagoneers, isn't it?

:bighug2:

Scary, going down that 'hill.' Did it feel like riding this?

http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/uploads/2007/01/abandoned_park.jpg

abandoned_park.jpg

uh yeah, sort of like that! I was trying to imagine something along those lines while writing, but I kept getting queesy so I had to stop it lol. :rolleyes:

Q

PS...Leah thanks for all the help here in the comments. You have been giving us some really nice tips and links to help us research and write the story with. For that you get a big :bighug2:

Edited by quiltys41

I'm having a good time reading the story, and am glad we have this comment thread...

Things strike me differently than most -

I seem to have a slightly unique view of the world. :lol:

Edited by Leah
Scary, going down that 'hill.' Did it feel like riding this?

http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/uploads/2007/01/abandoned_park.jpg

abandoned_park.jpg

uh yeah, sort of like that! I was trying to imagine something along those lines while writing, but I kept getting queesy so I had to stop it lol. :rolleyes:

Q

PS...Leah thanks for all the help here in the comments. You have been giving us some really nice tips and links to help us research and write the story with. For that you get a big :bighug2:

AIN'T NO WAY I am riding that thing in the fog!

Man its bad enought when you can SEE whats up ahead before you plunge into the next dip in the tracks but to NOT be able to SEE where you are going!

Man That's just Nuts!

Oh wait......................

isn't that what we are doing on this Wagon Train? LOL :24:

Ya' know, it's a good thing we don't all get discouraged easily and have a lot of that never give up pioneer type spirit! LOL...Mother!! :motz_6::tapfoot: Right about now I would like to turn you over my knee! LOL, just kidding. :hug3: You sure threw us another curve ball with the bridge thing...now lets see how we can all write our way around this one. Anyone have a hot air balloon handy? A helicoper maybe? :008Laughing:

Really though, I just want to make sure I get this straight before writing anything else. We are all the way down off of the last mountain and down into the valley now? On the other side of the river from the lodge on the map? Please let me know asap so I can get to writing in between taking care of a sick hubby. He's got the flu. :yuk::fever: I'm just hoping he gets over it before the big snow storm hits at the end of the week, we are supposed to get snowed in for a few days here. Pleanty of time to write then, if the power doesn't go off! :huh:

:behindsofa: Yes, we ARE down off that mountain, only a hop skip and a jump from the warm friendly Lodge on the OTHER side of the Northeast River.

We will be giving you OPTIONS soon but I'm not saying any of them are GOOD options. Hang in there. I'm still waiting for the WORD to tell me WHICH options LOL (okay so we never said it was easy keeping ahead of you wondreful writers. :D

In the mean time, maybe you'd like to tell us how you feel about this little discouragement. Perhaps even, like MT3B, give some options that you might think of. Perhaps they are better than ours.

I would like to say that even though we have a couple of things to throw in, it won't be long before each of you will be going off on your own to find your ideal homestead. You will probably want to post in journal form when we aren't having a get together. You will have a chance to tell us what you find. Not just your ideal homestead but about the places you looked at that didn't work for you and why. We want you to take your time to do this because it's all part of the fun and process of choosing. Then there will be the daily building and keeping up with meals and etc while you are doing it. Maybe finding wild foods, dealing with troublesome raccoons, braving the weather, the hardships and the joys, the headaches and the heartfelt wonder. Don't forget the recipes just as the early pioneer might have done. If we can do a daily journal we can tell the whole story. We will be prompting at times and we'll get together for various projects and etc. You can do letters to each other or send messages by a rider.

Live the life, write the life. I can barely wait to read what you have to write. This will be a lot like reading the old pioneer journals only more detailed (because grandmother had to watch how much paper she used, we,,,,well okay, we SHOULD watch the paper in UN life LOL)

In the mean time, Stay tuned for the next ummmmm well ummm :behindsofa:

Oh Mother, you are SO sweet. :hug3: Thanks for all the ideas to think about. LOL you saw my ideas already on getting to the lodge. :rolleyes: I know the others should be able to find a way around this. And you know I am going to miss the trail part of this story with all of us being together and you and Mt.R. throwing in the little "extras" for us to write around! It sure helped me a lot.

Okay off to daydream some more in between checking on the hubby...

Q

Please, don't ask Mt.R and Michael how sweet I am....I keep throwing monkey wrenches into the plans. :D .

I forgot to have you tell Mr.Q that Mother says he needs to get well soon. I KNEW he was overdoing it the last couple of days on the trail. (((((Mr. Q)))))

Don't worry about us not throwing in extras. LOL. Anyway, I believe you'll be surprised at how well we continue to make this work. It might take us a while to make it mesh, much like it did to begin with on the journey, because we will be writing in a bit different form but it will. I'm sure of it. I'm so sure of it I keep smiling.

:hug3:

Now I know there was Easter in the story during the trip. Easter is in March or April; so what is the date right now, in the valley?

(I've lost track of the length the trip took.)

How long do you have until the last day of frost? I know different areas of the valley will have different dates, but is there an estimation?

GROAN!!! You WOULD have to ask that Leah. :24:

Okay, I believe it's early May now. Just roughly speaking. We should have our last frost in the valley no later than the 10th maybe but with snow still setting in spots it's going to be, as you said, mini climates. We're going to have to get those gardens going very soon if we want good crops. Early peas and etc could be going in now. Poor MT3B has been trying to start plants but keeps getting hit with the cold on them. We're going to have to choose wisely where we put things like tomatoes and peppers so they will be protected as long as possible into the fall/early winter but this valley has a nice variety of micro climates so it shouldn't be too difficult.

Phew,,,, now I went out on a limb but then.....no one can really predict what the weather will bring anywhere now a days. Right? Maybe Mt. R will give us more info on this. B)

Please, don't ask Mt.R and Michael how sweet I am....I keep throwing monkey wrenches into the plans. :D .

I forgot to have you tell Mr.Q that Mother says he needs to get well soon. I KNEW he was overdoing it the last couple of days on the trail. (((((Mr. Q)))))

Don't worry about us not throwing in extras. LOL. Anyway, I believe you'll be surprised at how well we continue to make this work. It might take us a while to make it mesh, much like it did to begin with on the journey, because we will be writing in a bit different form but it will. I'm sure of it. I'm so sure of it I keep smiling.

:hug3:

Mr Q said to tell you thank you so much! He is doing a little better today and he isn't so pale either. I'm grateful for the answered prayers!

Well, I threw in an extra of my own this morning lol. What if some of us wanted to go look for a place now? Is that a possibility and maybe we all meet up back at the lodge in about two weeks to file claims and such?? The thought behind that is this...those of us wanting to build near water...it would be a perfect time to see where the flooding goes to on the land. That way, we will know how far back to safely set the houses and other structures on the property so they don't get flooded or swept away by the river! It would be perfect. And as to our being so close to the lake...hubby said if it was REality, we would be hot footing it away from that dam and river to safety as fast as those oxen would get us away. Head for higher ground if it is still raining before we get caught out there and someone gets hurt.... :D:bighug2:

Q

I was getting ready to post our "itinerary" for the day when I noticed Q's post. She has a valid suggestion. Before I let everyone know what we ARE going to do, I'd like to give you a chance to voice your opinions. Here's some tips to help you along.

*Mr. Hughes and Mr.Smith know the area well and were involved in the original bridge building.

*Think about what most of you are riding in.

*It is raining and there are no indications that the rain is going to let up soon.

*What supplies do we have on hand?

*Where might our safest drinkable water supply be?

I'll be back later to see what is posted. Maybe it will change the decision. :mellow:

Good questions Annarchy. I am assuming that the river was deep enough at one time to wash away the bridge but what it is now is open to discussion.

Most mountain streams carry the possibility of having rocky bottoms and this one possibly has as well. The banks may be another story however.

Would it be safe for you to put on your gear and check it out? Would the current be too swift? That is an intriguing possibility.

Unlike what we have done with other scenes where we throw them at you unawares, I was curious what decisions would be made if it were left up to each of you instead of the "wagon master". To give you more information to base your posts on here are some more tips.

Because your Conestoga wagons in the past were built so they would be able to 'float' a river the modern ones you have now were built to do the same only safer. (You can find that information in some of the earlier threads) It was originally intented to have you experience that in this scene.

The rivers in this valley are at least a two lane highway width at normal times. (I believe Sheri told us that recently didn't she?) There are bridge piers (most likely wooden) at what would be the normal edges of the river.

The rain is yet an unknown intenty at this point. (It can go either way)

There could be a ford further up or down stream but it's doubtful if the water was deep enough (at least at some point) to wash away the bridge.

Our closest clear drinking water is at least two hours back at the last spring we stopped at at noon. (yesterday) Probably take longer as it will be up hill and probably a bit slippery by now. And at the Lodge which has it's own well. It is just over the river and a short distance beyond, high and dry.

Besides the Lodge, there is the hill where the animals were herded to graze but no room to circle the wagons in the dense trees. I suppose they could be pulled in there singly though but we'd have to conserve water if we stay there.

Quesstions.

Would those of you who are looking for homesteads in the south prefer to go it alone, now, instead of going to the lodge for a few days of rest and to wait for ALL the rivers and streams to subside. Remember there is no telling what you might find for flooding there either.

Would those of you who are looking to the north for land want to wait it out, cross that stream, or ???

Are there other possibilities other than what's been mentioned so far?

These are hard decisions but they are ones that our pioneer forefathers had to make on the trail. Remember though, we still have a responsibility to the 'group', the 'survival' group. The one that came to the valley to form a new community.

Now you know ALMOST as much as we do about the situation.

:D