MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wagons Ho Recipes

Mother

I haven't got a format set up to post recipes here. If you want to post them as a normal recipe that's fine. If you want to keep them in the first person as if you are telling them, that's fine too. You can even post them as they might have been found in a pioneer 'reciept' book with a shell full of this and a nut sized piece of butter, a tea cup full of flour, and a pinch of salt....

All I ask is that you make sure the recipe would/could be done on an open fire or on a camp stove/oven or in some manner that we would have been able to do on the trail such as solar, insulated cooker (fireless cooker), pie irons, grills (not gas grills maybe) and etc. Hmmm guess that leaves a lot of leeway doesn't it?

Feel free to copy and paste any and all of these recipes for your own personal use. If a recipe is taken from a copyrighted book be sure to give credit where it's due. Somewhere here is a link to a ton of old time recipe books and when I get a chance I'll try to find it unless someone else finds and posts it here first.

Hopefully though, these recipes will be tried and true favorites around the camp fire. Those are always the best kind.

Feel free to make comments on the recipes but be aware, if the comment doesn't add any specific information to the recipe or instructions (for instance a "wow, that sounds good I think I'll try it" remark) it might later be deleted to clean up the thread and make the recipies easier to find.

Happy cooking everyone!

:bighug2:

Edited by Mother

Ok so I am copying and pasting the sour dough biscuit recipe....

Ok here is my campfire sourdough biscuit recipe.

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup starter

1 tablespoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon of baking powder

1/2 cup of butter or margarine.

Iron skillet with lid

Now for camping I mix all dry ingredents together and margarine together and store in ziplock bags. Then I add my cup of starter when I am ready to bake them.

In answer to the question do I let them rise no that is what the baking powder and soda is for.

lightly grease iron skillet, add 1 cup of starter and mix well and roll into balls...I always sprinkle flour on my hands to keep the stickyness down. Place in skillet and cover with lid set over hot coals and allow to cook check after 15 mins. I usually flip mine over so that they will brown on top also. If you have a camp stove you can cook them in it also.

I use this recipe at home also. I just bake in the oven at 400 for about 15-20 mins. Yes I use an iron skillet at home also. Because they are don't hold their shape well they tend to spread out if you put them on a baking pan. If you work in more flour they get dry so I stick to the skillet.

Dogmom requested the non-electric way to make yogurt. This was posted by someone here {um, TQXmom ...or something like that...sorry, can't credit better than that} a year or two ago.

Non-electric Yogurt Making

Large Batch - 14 qts

--just under 14 qts of milk warmed to 115 degrees

--mix in 3/4 c. sugar [three-fourths]

--mix in 1 1/2 cup powdered milk - thickening [one and one-half]

--mix in 2 Tablespoons vanilla

--mix in starter culture or one-half big container yogurt

--immediately pour into clean qt jars & put on lids [any kind...this is not canning!]

--place jars in an ice chest [or other well insulated & waterproof container]

--cover to one inch below bottom of the lids with the hottest TAP water..... (too hot and it kills the yogurt culture)

--leave undisturbed about 20 hrs [ normal floor vibrations won't affect it but we wagon riders would be making it on our rest days! ;) ]

--refrigerate when set

===============

I cut the recipe to one quart and have done this successfully several times:

---just under 1 qt. milk warmed to 115 degrees

[Note: For yogurt only, if I'm using fresh (goat's) milk, I choose to pasteurize that milk first by taking it to 180 degrees and then chilling it back down to 115 degrees. If I'm going to be growing microbes in warm milk, I want it to be specifically YOGURT microbes. Just my opinion. ;) ]

---mix in 1 teaspoon sugar if desired [i don't bother]

---mix in 1 1/2 to 2 Tablespoons of powdered milk [one and one-half to two]

---mix in sip of vanilla

---mix in 2-3 Tablespoons per qt. of vanilla yogurt which is about one-half of a single serving container. [i don't have a reduced measurement for the starter culture since I've never used it.]

---follow above directions from here.

MtRider [normally uses the faster method of dehydrator but....gotta know this one works too!]

PS: My computer doesn't always print the fractions so I typed out the words also. ;)

Edited by Mt_Rider
fixin' typos

UM..... :o

You may want to take (or move) the apostrophe out of the thread title... ;)

Unless someone named Wagon is giving us recipes for Ho...? :P

Or something that I just can't type... :24:

Edited by Leah

(Mother, you are such a joy.)

Cala Vasita

(MIL/DH call it that.)

2-3 1/4" Sliced zucchini

1/2 cup diced onion

1/2 cup diced tomatoes

1/2 cup corn

1 Tbs tomato bullion

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1/2 - 1 cup of water

Salt & pepper to taste

Saute onion until opaque, add diced tomatoes and saute slightly. Add corn, bullion, zucchini and water. Simmer until zucchini is tender, stirring occasionally making sure it's not burning. Sprinkle cheese on top when most of the water is gone, cover and let set 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Prep time, 5-10 minutes, cook time on a fire, appx. 10-15 minutes.

YUM that sounds wonderful, nnarchy. I guess I'm going to have to try this the same day we have it on the trail so I know IRL what it is. Thank you so much for posting it.

Here's The oatmeal pie recipe some of you have been asking about.

Oatmeal pie

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

2 eggs

3/4 cup corn syrup

1/4 cup butter

1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup flaked coconut (opt., increase oatmeal by 1/2 cup)

3/4 cup Quick cooking oats

1 Unbaked pie shell for 9 inch pie (single crust)

Mix all ingredients together and pour into pie shell.

Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minuted until golden brown. A knife inserted near the center will come out clean when done.

When I bake this on an open fire I put the empty pie shell, in a pan, into a heated Dutch Oven. I use a few rocks in the bottom of the Dutch, under the pie pan, to help keep the bottom of the pie from buring. I set the pan over just a few coals (four or five briquettes if using charcoal) a short distance away from the fire. I pour the filling carefully into the crust and cover the Dutch with the lid. I put more coals (12 or 14 briquettes) on the top of the Dutch Oven (I use about one third on bottom and two third coals on top ratio). If the Dutch is setting near the fire it is best to turn the Dutch a quarter turn every ten or fifteen minutes to keep it from burning on one side. Check pie after a half hour being careful not to get top coals or ashes in the pie. Add coals if the pie is not baking well.

This is for Quilty. I got this recipe off the Hillbillyhousewife website when Ms. Maggie had it. This is a great recipe and works well on camping trips. I make the dry ingredents up in a zip lock bag and take it along with us.

4 cups white or whole wheat flour or half each (use white)

1-1/2 teaspoons salt

1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder (optional)

1/3 cup shortening

1 to 1-1/4 cups water

In a large bowl combine the flour, salt and baking powder (the baking powder is not an authentic addition though it does make them lighter) Next cut in the shortening. When the flour is crumbly, add the water. Stir the dough with your fork until it makes a cohesive ball of dough. You may need to add an extra small spoonful of water if the dough is too dry. Be careful not to add too much though. When the dough forms a ball, knead it about 20 times. Then let it rest in the bowl for about 10 minutes. After it has rested, form it into 10 or 12 equal balls. Roll each ball in a little flour, to coat the outside of it evenly. Place a ball of dough on a sheet of waxed paper, or a clean, well floured surface. Roll the dough out into a a 6 or 7-inch circle. Try to get it as thin as you can. Loosen the tortilla from the rolling surface. This is why I use wax paper I can just flip it over and peel it off. Flop it onto a dry, hot skillet. Cook about 30 seconds, until the under side is dry, with a few brown spots. Flip it and cook the other side the same way. Transfer the cooked tortilla to a plate, and cook the next one. This goes pretty fast after you get the hang of it.

mt3b...thank you so much! And if it wasn't 1 a.m. I would print it out lol. But I will print it tomorrow and put it in my kitchen binder. :hug3: I am going to try it next week when I have burritos scheduled on the menu!

Q

I wanted to share the recipe for the oldie-but-goodie Dump Cake that Chef served the other nite. ;)

I found the version I'm familiar with [from camping trips decades ago...] on a Boy Scout site:

http://www.scoutorama.com/recipe/rec_display.cfm?rec_id=13

Cherry/Pineapple Dump Cake Recipe

Ingredients

2 Betty Cocker Yellow Pudding Cake mixes, 4 Pats butter, 1 Large Can Cherry Pie filing, 1 large can Pineapple pieces {crushed works good} , {my addition...chopped nuts, shredded coconut} 1/2 cup water

Equipment

#14 Dutch oven

1 Large Spoon

Instructions

Start charcoal, line dutch oven with heavy duty aluminum foil (twice), place dutch oven over about 14-16 coals, pour in both cans of fruit, {sprinkle the nuts & coconut evenly}, dump in both cake mixes, spread lightly. Add 4 pats butter cover and cook for about 30 min. or till golden. Feed about 8 boys. after done lift out foil, wipe, re-oil, reheat and you're done

=============

This, of course can also be done in dem new-fangled 'lectric or gas ovens tooooo! :P But it's best in the cast iron dutch ovens after a hard day keeping those dumb oxen moving down the trail! :yum3:

A #14 dutch oven is quite large and this can be reduced for a smaller portion. I think we used just one cake mix but still used the whole can of pineapple and cherry filling. We added nuts and shredded coconut. Also, just any yellow cake recipe works.

Um....I guess you drink the 1/2 cup of water cuz it's not listed as used. Nor could I find it in any other dump cake recipes..... :shrug: {I couldn't find my old recipe....it's been a long time}

MtRider......[might just have to make this....in the 'lectric oven tho ...it's COLD outside! ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

Here is a pumpkin version:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/aunt-janets-p...ake/Detail.aspx

Pumpkin Dump Cake

Original Recipe Yield 1 - 9x13 inch pan Ingredients

• 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can nonfat evaporated milk
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup chopped pecans

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, sugar, salt, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and cinnamon. Stir in the milk, then beat in the eggs one at a time. Pour pumpkin mixture into the prepared pan.
  3. Sprinkle the yellow cake mix over the pumpkin mixture, then sprinkle on the pecans. Drizzle melted butter over all. Bake in the preheated oven for 55 minutes {ahem....in the dutch oven over coals} , or until the edges are lightly browned. Allow to cool.
Amount Per Serving Calories: 449 | Total Fat: 21.8g | Cholesterol: 93mg

QUESTION: "Preheat to 350 degrees"..... How many seconds of holding your hand over the coals makes 350 degrees? :shrug:

MtRider

QUESTION: "Preheat to 350 degrees"..... How many seconds of holding your hand over the coals makes 350 degrees? :shrug:

Held palm down about six inches above the coals.....About 3 to 4 seconds.

2 seconds or less would be about 375 or more degrees

3 seconds is medium-hot or about 350 to 375

4 seconds is medium or about 300 to 350

5 seconds or more is low 200 to 300

more than that would be very low and probably means you need to build up the fire or use it for crock pot type cooking.

Remember that temps are also dependent on the weather. Wind would change the feel of the temp either more or less.

Also, the construction (quality, thickness, etc) of the oven would make a difference in the internal temp at any given time so these are just rules of thumb to use.

The usual rule of thumb for obtaining 350 degrees temp if you happen to be using charcoal briquettes is to take the size of your Dutch oven in inches, double the number and use that many briquettes with 2/3 placed under the oven and the rest on the top. That means for a 12 inch pan you would use 24 pieces of charcoal (or the equivalent in coals) 16 on the bottom and 8 on the top. I find this number a bit hotter but when I do happen to use charcoal I use a good brand like Kingsford. It definitely makes a difference.

Each briquette gives about 10 or 15 degree of heat when glowing.

The water in the recipe is poured on top of everything after all the ingredients are all in the Dutch oven. It gives a bit of added moisture to the cake but is not really necessary. I like to use some flavor of Pop or juice in ours. Rootbeer with peaches is good, orange soda is great with pineapple. I've never done the pumpkin one but it sounds great. Yum! For those more adventuresome, use a fruit flavored brandy instead. I use blackberry brandy with fresh or frozen berries. The alcohol is cooked out of the finished product so it's safe for children but not always a taste they might prefer.

For faster clean up I use foil inside my dutch (you can actually buy foil liners for them). I also have found deep cake pans to go inside most of me Dutch ovens that really saves on the clean up. I use a few simple rocks under the inner pan to hold it a bit up off the heat to make the oven more oven-like. If you are cooking this IN coals next to the main fire be sure to turn the oven around a quarter turn every ten or fifteen minutes to insure you don't burn one side.

:hug3: I KNEW she'd know that stuff!

I, on the other hand, will have to print that out cuz :twister3: my brain will never remember it. :shakinghead: .....especially the math for the briquets. I have a number 8 dutch oven. I just need to compute that. 8 x 2 = 16.....1/3 of 16 is.....um, 16 divided by 3 = 5+ Soooo, I'd put FIVE on top and TEN on the bottom...approximately...for 350 degrees cooking. :woohoo: [Even *I* can count by 5's .... :lol: ]

And the odd thing about my #8 campfire dutch oven is....I FOUND it. In the creek on this property. I found the bottom first and the lid a couple YEARS later. :pray::cele: I sure would like to know it's story!

Thanks, Mother!!!!!!!

MtRider

Edited by Mt_Rider
doin' math....yuk

Excellent Mother, I've always just guessed. I didn't know there was a science to it. I put my hand over the coals and ' hmmmm, seems about right' . Sometimes I've been off drastically, to my chagrin . LOL

Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg

1/2 tsp almond extract or vanilla

2 1/4 cups flour

Cream butter add sugar & beat until light & fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. Divide dough as desired. (I make small balls because my board is small). Roll out and cut with cookie cutter. (I use a small round cutter for 2 - 3 bite sized cookies). Bake at 350 for 8 to 10 minutes. Makes 4 dozen cookies.

How to make Cast Iron Pan Candy:

1 cup of butter

1 cup of brown sugar, packed

1 teaspoon vanilla

Melt butter in a cast iron pan over medium-low heat.

Add brown sugar.

Continue to cook, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes as sugar gradually blends with the butter. At this point, turn it up a little, to medium. At first it looks as if the butter is separating from the brown sugar. Keep cooking and stirring non-stop–the butter and brown sugar will meld together as the mixture thickens.

Be careful not to overcook and burn it–you should finish with a nice, rich caramelized color. In the last few minutes, stir in the vanilla. Butter waxed paper very lightly to prevent sticking before pouring the candy out.

Let the candy cool and set up. After it’s firm but before it’s competely set, cut it into pieces. Then you can shape it, roll it, twist it, whatever you want to do to pretty it up. Store in an airtight container.

Sounds like an interesting recipe, CeeGee.

What is the final texture of the candy - hard like lollipops?

• 1 month later...

Machaca

Machaca, which comes from the verb form machacado (pounded or crushed), is a dish that was prepared originally from dried, spiced meat (most commonly beef) that had been rehydrated and pounded to make it tender. The reconstituted meat would then be used to prepare any number of dishes. While drying meat is one of the oldest forms of preservation, the drying of beef with chiles and other native spices was developed by the ranchers and cowboys of northern Mexico.

Soaked & mashed dried jerky (or fresh/left over beef cooked until it is mush)

1 - 2 Tbs. tomato bullion

1 Tbs. dried onion

1 can diced tomato

1 Tbs. oregano

1 tsp. garlic

1 tsp. cayenne (or more if you like hot food)

1/8 cup smoked flavoring (or cook over an open fire instead)

1 tsp salt & pepper

Add enough water to boil for 1/2 hour until almost all of the water evaporates. Spoon into a tortilla and enjoy.

Sorry, I'm not too scientific about the recipe, I learned it from a friend. It's a hit a parties and my DH loves it when I make it either on the stove, in the pressure cooker or over the camp fire.

I'll have to look for it in the store but I wouldn't mind learning how to make it. Or is it just concentrated puree? Paste?