MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Needing help/ downsizing

My husband was laid off from his job on 10-27-09. This past year his health has declined drastically and I was getting very concerned about the medication increases the Dr. was prescribing. So, we decided to try and get him on disability.

So.. what that means is that we're putting our house on the market and moving into a studio apartment on my Aunt's property where our rent will be free (we'll help out around the farm) until we see whether he will qualify for disability.

I'd love to read of others who have/are downsizing and any suggestions they may have. We lost our business a year ago and had to downsize from a 2700 sq. ft home on 10 acres with a 40 x 40 shop to a 1500 square foot home on .48 lot. Now that my husband has lost his job we'll be moving into a 300 square foot studio apartment. Even though we got rid of a lot of stuff there is still so much to go through. Trying to make decide what to keep and give away can be overwhelming.

Have you seen any blogs or read any articles that may be helpful?

My husband is already doing so much better physically and mentally since he lost his job. I'd live in a tent to help relieve some of his pain.

I still laugh when I read about the economy pulling out of the recession. I know so many around me who's jobs are in jeopardy and facing a loss not to mention what happened to my husband. We have lost our rental and our main home is on the market.

Yet... I'm not fearful at all. Our God has always taken such good care of us. We can learn to be content with little just as we've learned to be content with much!

Thank you again,

Georgene

Aww you poor thing, what a position to be in :grouphug: Thank Gawd the Uk has the NHS, or Id have been on the streets years ago.

If you want a good book to read, go to the library and find Julie Morgensterns book Organizing from the Inside Out. Her organizing anacroynm is brilliant and really easy to follow. You might find it on Oprahs website, as she did a fair bit on her show a few years back. Iv tried to post it before but it gets removed.

Here she is on youtube:

Heres one with her on downsizing, and how to do it:

Heres another about Sheding stuff:

Remember to do little and often.

For the decluttering I would:

Keep it if its yes to:

a) Do you love it

) Do you use it, or is a prep

c) Is it seriously centimental

Get rid:

If its broken and un-repairable

You cant make it into anything else

Remember Sell rather then give away, even if you can get a few pennies (sorry would that be cents) its worth it.

Edited by Purdy Bear
Yet... I'm not fearful at all. Our God has always taken such good care of us. We can learn to be content with little just as we've learned to be content with much!

Wow, GrammyG! I love it when I hear of someone going thru loss after loss; disappointments and challenges; AND YET can say as you do...God has always taken such good care of us..... :cele: That is the best prep of all. To learn to be content in riches and in downsizing. Not that we don't have concerns that we need to handle.

Unfortunately, I'm NOT the person to ask about clearing clutter. LOL *I* can't even clear my PM box. :rolleyes: But I wanted to say :thumbs:

BTW,....your join date says 2005 but this is your first post???? Is that correct or did our board-format switch goof up your numbers?

MtRider

Her numbers are messed up. I remember her!

Do you know how to do an internet search (not just here on Mrs S, but using Google or Bing)? If not, say so and I'll help you. If so, just search "downsizing" and I'll be you find lots of articles.

My own thoughts:

For kitchen tools: look for multifunction, but don't go overboard. A tool can have several neat functions, but still not be necessary. Could you do the same tasks with a more basic tool and a few extra minutes? How many pots and pans do you really need? Everyday stuff vs. Special occasion stuff...what about storage or "making do".

For clothing: your husband does not work and my impression is that you do not either. Therefore, I would suggest keeping only a week or less worth of everyday clothing for the warm season and the same for the cool season. You'll need one or two dressy outfits for weddings, funerals and parties. A good coat. A pair of work boots, a pair of everyday shoes, a dark pair of dress shoes, and maybe one light pair of dress shoes for you; men can get by with black any season.

Linens: one, maybe two, sets of sheets. Towels to get you by til washday. But plenty of kitchen towels to get you through canning season. ;)

Books: If a books is for entertainment purposes only and can be gotten at the library, get rid of it. If a book is for information, particularly information that you might need if there is no power and/or internet, keep it! If you keep cookbooks for one or two recipes, scan them into your computer and get rid of the book.

Go paperless: get as much data into your computer as you can: papers, photos, music CD's, etc....unless (again) it's information that you might need if there is no power and/or internet. And have a back-up on an external drive.

Keep some beautiful things, but don't try to tuck them away. Use them often!

Think about what you would need if you were going on a trip, and then add the things that you LOVE!

I wish you well with this transition.

You've given me some things to think about and some downsizing tools! I was just looking at my coat closet the other day and wondering how I was going to fit all my coats and clothes plus hubbies into one closet. I can see that I could get by with a lot less. Thanks for the ideas. I'll use them.

Grammy G

Do you know how to do an internet search (not just here on Mrs S, but using Google or Bing)? If not, say so and I'll help you. If so, just search "downsizing" and I'll be you find lots of articles.

My own thoughts:

For kitchen tools: look for multifunction, but don't go overboard. A tool can have several neat functions, but still not be necessary. Could you do the same tasks with a more basic tool and a few extra minutes? How many pots and pans do you really need? Everyday stuff vs. Special occasion stuff...what about storage or "making do".

For clothing: your husband does not work and my impression is that you do not either. Therefore, I would suggest keeping only a week or less worth of everyday clothing for the warm season and the same for the cool season. You'll need one or two dressy outfits for weddings, funerals and parties. A good coat. A pair of work boots, a pair of everyday shoes, a dark pair of dress shoes, and maybe one light pair of dress shoes for you; men can get by with black any season.

Linens: one, maybe two, sets of sheets. Towels to get you by til washday. But plenty of kitchen towels to get you through canning season. ;)

Books: If a books is for entertainment purposes only and can be gotten at the library, get rid of it. If a book is for information, particularly information that you might need if there is no power and/or internet, keep it! If you keep cookbooks for one or two recipes, scan them into your computer and get rid of the book.

Go paperless: get as much data into your computer as you can: papers, photos, music CD's, etc....unless (again) it's information that you might need if there is no power and/or internet. And have a back-up on an external drive.

Keep some beautiful things, but don't try to tuck them away. Use them often!

Think about what you would need if you were going on a trip, and then add the things that you LOVE!

I wish you well with this transition.

Yes, I have been around since 2005 but I've 'read' more than 'posted' over the years.

The Lord knows what situations to orchestrated in our lives to bring Him the most glory. I pray above all else that He will be seen as the greatest treasure in our lives far above anything we have owned.

Blessings,

Grammy G

Wow, GrammyG! I love it when I hear of someone going thru loss after loss; disappointments and challenges; AND YET can say as you do...God has always taken such good care of us..... :cele: That is the best prep of all. To learn to be content in riches and in downsizing. Not that we don't have concerns that we need to handle.

Unfortunately, I'm NOT the person to ask about clearing clutter. LOL *I* can't even clear my PM box. :rolleyes: But I wanted to say :thumbs:

BTW,....your join date says 2005 but this is your first post???? Is that correct or did our board-format switch goof up your numbers?

MtRider

I met a man about 15 years ago whose house had burned down. Total loss. He told me he had lost some sentimental items that could never be replace and was sad about that, but what he said next was an eye opener. He said how simple life was now without all the "stuff" to take care of and worry about. He was a single dad. He said the cooking and cleaning was so easy with just a few basic items. He didn't have to spend time hunting for things and always putting stuff away--no clutter. It was not an easy lesson for him to learn, but I have always remembered him and what he said about owning little.

In your purging, remember some of the women's shelters and men's shelters and transitional shelters that are always in need of kitchen items and clothes, even work clothes and painted jeans are welcome! :)

Great idea! I hadn't even thought of that. I have books I'm donating to a library but was just going to take clothes to Salvation Army. Thanks again!

In your purging, remember some of the women's shelters and men's shelters and transitional shelters that are always in need of kitchen items and clothes, even work clothes and painted jeans are welcome! :)

I am SO looking forward to that aspect. I had so much work today that I didn't get a chance to rest until 8:30 pm. I was thinking about how much easier life will be when I only have a small space to take care of. The hard part is knowing what to get rid of!Thanks for the encouraging story!

I met a man about 15 years ago whose house had burned down. Total loss. He told me he had lost some sentimental items that could never be replace and was sad about that, but what he said next was an eye opener. He said how simple life was now without all the "stuff" to take care of and worry about. He was a single dad. He said the cooking and cleaning was so easy with just a few basic items. He didn't have to spend time hunting for things and always putting stuff away--no clutter. It was not an easy lesson for him to learn, but I have always remembered him and what he said about owning little.

Wow! I love her ideas! I watched quite a few of her You tube videos and really loved what she said! I've never heard her name before. Thanks so much!!!

Aww you poor thing, what a position to be in :grouphug: Thank Gawd the Uk has the NHS, or Id have been on the streets years ago.

If you want a good book to read, go to the library and find Julie Morgensterns book Organizing from the Inside Out. Her organizing anacroynm is brilliant and really easy to follow. You might find it on Oprahs website, as she did a fair bit on her show a few years back. Iv tried to post it before but it gets removed.

Here she is on youtube:

Heres one with her on downsizing, and how to do it:

Heres another about Sheding stuff:

Remember to do little and often.

For the decluttering I would:

Keep it if its yes to:

a) Do you love it

) Do you use it, or is a prep

c) Is it seriously centimental

Get rid:

If its broken and un-repairable

You cant make it into anything else

Remember Sell rather then give away, even if you can get a few pennies (sorry would that be cents) its worth it.