MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sirloin Tip Roast...3 of 16 Jars Failed...Quick Question...

GettinReady

This past year I have put up a LOT of meat and on occasion have had a lid fail here and there, maybe 5 total. Yesterday I ran my canner, 16 pints of Sirloin Tip Roast. Today when I went to check the seals and clean the jars I noticed 3 of the lids neglected to seal. One of them had an itty-bitty-teeny-tiny dent in the lid (that I hadn't noticed prior to canning) but nothing that appeared to be intrusive or damaging to the sealing agent. The other two lids looked perfectly fine. All jars looked normal...normal amount of meat and liquid. Just didn't seal.

As much as I hated to do it, I ditched the meat as I canned it yesterday, it sat all night to cool and I didn't notice the seals until this afternoon. Was I right to do dump it or is there a way to salvage it? I've read that some things can be reprocessed but I'm guessing meat may not be one of them. Am I wrong?

I don't can as much as most people here but I have not had a failed can yet. I canned 23 pints of vension last week and 19 a couple weeks before that, no failures. I use differant brands jars and lids. I have been keeping the lid on until the next morning. The first few times I canned I removed them right away and there was a lot of bubbling. I had read about someone else leaving the lid on so I started as well. I take the jiggler off and loosen the lid, I just don't remove it.

Or maybe I'm just lucky.

Margoc,

You should never leave the lid on the canner. Not only can you get a reverse vacuum and the lid will be permanently stuck on, but you will have thermal loving bacteria growing in your jars of food. They may be unsafe to eat. So, your jars of meat may or may not have bacteria in them.

You remove the weight when the pressure is at zero. Then let the canner sit another 10 min. and then remove the lid and the jars. That will help with siphoning of the jars.

Yes, the reverse vacuum really does happen. All you can do is throw the whole thing out. Very rarely can one be opened up.

(I teach food preservation safety. )

Margoc,

You should never leave the lid on the canner. Not only can you get a reverse vacuum and the lid will be permanently stuck on, but you will have thermal loving bacteria growing in your jars of food. They may be unsafe to eat. So, your jars of meat may or may not have bacteria in them.

You remove the weight when the pressure is at zero. Then let the canner sit another 10 min. and then remove the lid and the jars. That will help with siphoning of the jars.

Yes, the reverse vacuum really does happen. All you can do is throw the whole thing out. Very rarely can one be opened up.

(I teach food preservation safety. )

Violet, we are so incredibly fortunate to have your knowledge available! Thank you! cathy

My sister had the reverse vacuum once, and her DH used a hammer to get the lid off, out in the backyard. It did mar the canner lid, but did not damage it for some reason. Of course, she lost all her jars and contents.

Archived