MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Anyone Else Feel the Need to Prepare More?

Seriously, with everything going on right now, does anyone feel the need that you should really be getting things together. I mean there's the flu if nothing else. But the world, everything the government is doing, so much going on all over. I just have an uneasiness in my soul and I don't know if it's because I'm scared or it's because I feel this unending need to try and prepare that God is putting there. I can't spend a lot of money, but instead of looking for groceries, its what can I buy to store back. Or water containers, or medical things.

I just have a heavy feeling in my heart. Is this just me?

Edited by Mt_Rider
changed political name to simply 'government'

no. i especially felt that way back in february when i knew i would lose my job at the end of the school year. in a panic i started prepping!!! now, i feel the same way about my sister, who is in the same boat i am. the only difference is she has a house, whereas i only had an apt. my recomendation is pray. pray fertively.

From the talk I hear, many folks are feeling that way. There seems to be a general sense of "something big is going to happen". My DH even hears the guys who hang out at the little cafe down the road, where he gets gas, saying the same thing.

Like Robie, I sometimes get frustrated because I can't afford to do more. Like toilet paper. I would like to have a 3 month supply for a bad winter, a quarantine or whatever but can't seem to do it!

Daylily

Nope, it isn't just you! Even after all the years of prepping I have done, I still feel like there is more to do and more to learn and it's really gotten bad lately. Yes, all those things like both flu's and our deep recession/depression are enough to do it for me. I am really worried the most about the economic end of things. And we don't have much $$ to prep either. So I find places like MrsS that have tons of info on how to do things when tshtf and copy it off, and put it into binders. I have 4 right now that I am working on. Canning, quilt patterns, clothes patterns and ideas, and natural healing with herbs and native plants. I am just getting started on the last one and there is so much that I don't know but I should! And if I run out of printer ink and have to wait until the next check for money, I will take some paper and start writing it all down. I mean what if there isn't a next check ya' know? But no, it's not just you lol. There seems to be a bunch of us feeling the same. You're not alone! :hug3:

Q

Never ends. I do have to take stock now and again and decide if I REALLY need to get more of something or shift my focus elsewhere. I try to pray and ask the Lord to direct my steps day by day, whether in big things or small. He alone knows the future and can show me how to proceed.

Nope, it isn't just you! Even after all the years of prepping I have done, I still feel like there is more to do and more to learn and it's really gotten bad lately. Yes, all those things like both flu's and our deep recession/depression are enough to do it for me. I am really worried the most about the economic end of things. And we don't have much $$ to prep either. So I find places like MrsS that have tons of info on how to do things when tshtf and copy it off, and put it into binders. I have 4 right now that I am working on. Canning, quilt patterns, clothes patterns and ideas, and natural healing with herbs and native plants. I am just getting started on the last one and there is so much that I don't know but I should! And if I run out of printer ink and have to wait until the next check for money, I will take some paper and start writing it all down. I mean what if there isn't a next check ya' know? But no, it's not just you lol. There seems to be a bunch of us feeling the same. You're not alone! :hug3:

Q

Quilty:

It seems that everytime I start to get lax on preps, the Lord allows me to see or hear something that gets me going again. If it is a tight month I will work on organizing orr learning a new skilll . It is still making some progress.

If you have an HP printer Walgreens will refill your ink cartridge for like 10.00 I think. They also sell some refilled ones for about 15.00.

To save ink I always set my printer on "economy" print. It uses less ink.

I have been printing articles out for 11 years & now have (4) 4 " binders crammed full. And I still find new things to print out!!.

Edited by CoM

Everyone just remember that most of the money we spend is on food or equipment to make food so if nothing happens we can always eat it. Most of what I stoe or buy is really usable.

I have this strange feeling we will have a bad winter here and I live in Texas---how bad can it be.

I kinda slacked off the first half of this year. Spent most of the summer helping my Dad take care of my Mom. He's 87, she's 80. She had a heart attack, then fell broke her hip and had it replaced. Now she has Dementia. He's so healthy it's crazy. And they live about 400 miles away from me.

We had so much going on- finished getting our house built and getting moved in and settled. We bought this 3 acres almost 9 years ago and had a 20' camp trailer and a porta-potty til last year. DH and #1 son are making me 4 raised garden beds 4'x16'. Maybe 5 or 6. Does any one want some gophers? Be more than glad to send you some! We are putting hardware mesh on the bottom of the garden beds to keep the little monsters out.

My DD says I'm a squirrel! I've begun storing stuff away like mad. Since mid-September I have been canning, canning, canning. Over 600 jars so far and I feel like I haven't gotten started. Peaches, pears, plums, stews, soups, taters, meats and I MUST DO MORE. Good thing I bought 2 pickup truck loads of jars at that yard sale last summer. They laughed at me for "blowing" $30 bucks and spending days washing, washing, washing jars. over 80 cases of pint and quart jars. I just told them my pantry was going to be filled. And now I'm filling it up. So I guess I am a squirrel, gathering and storing away food for my family, cause we don't know whats gonna happen.

I always get a little edgy in Winter (not sure if its nature). In the Uk this week we are on flood watch and have gales as well, lots of places in the midlands and up north are flooding already and with the low temperatures to contend with.

I think Im prepping without really consciously having to do it. The mental shopping list seems to be working very well. I do need to declutter to be able to fit more in.

Q

Quilty:

It seems that everytime I start to get lax on preps, the Lord allows me to see or hear something that gets me going again. If it is a tight month I will work on organizing orr learning a new skilll . It is still making some progress.

If you have an HP printer Walgreens will refill your ink cartridge for like 10.00 I think. They also sell some refilled ones for about 15.00.

To save ink I always set my printer on "economy" print. It uses less ink.

I have been printing articles out for 11 years & now have (4) 4 " binders crammed full. And I still find new things to print out!!.

Oh thanks for the tip on the ink! I will have to check and see if they even carry what I have. It's a color laser jet from HP. One of those printer/fax/scanner/etc...things. Office Depot carries it, but the replacement cartridges run 124.00 just for the black toner! :0327::0327:

Q

I've been unemployed nine months and I finally start a new job next week. That alone has been tough even with other great things going for me this year. The unemployment payment system is getting a bit more *ahem* "wonky" in spitting out one's claims. I am organizing my place to fit as much food storage as possible and trying to find a way to tell DH that I want a few buckets of grain and a few #10's of other things. The annoying thing is that this is for HIS benefit more than mine because he is a picky eater!

My bet is on a long, relatively slow decline. "Boiled frog" is the most politically expedient method, after all I have friends in South Africa who count like an extra set of family to me- over there you see how a long, slow decline takes place. Things did not go to crap overnight- their infrastructure was built well. As their government changed to a Kleptocracy though, you see the rolling utility outages, the weakening currency, the decline of any remotely sane justice system or building permissions. They told me that much fewer neighborhoods were "gated" and not nearly as many had electric fences 15 years ago but now the place looks like an armed camp. Citizens are even prohibited from holding foreign currency, which limits their options to diversify. Farmers have to routinely warn off metal thieves and livestock rustlers via shotgun. Young, educated people have an extremely difficult time finding a good job- which is how my best friend ended up in the States to being with.

I fear that this is the path where we're headed if we don't stem the tide. But if it happens then, where do we run?

I certainly do fee that too. And we used up most of our preps in an emergency .. wich was a Godsend and just goes to prove how important prepping really is. I think everyone feels the urge and more and more people are stocking up on essentials and ignoring the wants we became so accostomed to.

Quilty - see if you can get a free inkjet printer off freecycle. If that doesnt work maybe weigh the idea of getting one of them $25 door busters during the holiday sales. I have an inkjet and I buy the ink bottles with syringes to refill them myself. Cheapest option I've come up with. Less expensive than even the refilled aftermarket cartridges. Being in school full time I tend to print reams!

depending on the day, I feel more nervous and less prepared then others. Guess it depends on the headlines and all. Best I can do is keep my eye on the ball and keep plugging.

Seriously, with everything going on right now, does anyone feel the need that you should really be getting things together. I mean there's the flu if nothing else. But the world, everything Obama is doing, so much going on all over. I just have an uneasiness in my soul and I don't know if it's because I'm scared or it's because I feel this unending need to try and prepare that God is putting there. I can't spend a lot of money, but instead of looking for groceries, its what can I buy to store back. Or water containers, or medical things.

It's not just you.

I'm getting worried as well.

Some days I wonder if I need to see a shrink, or if all of this really is justifiable.

I was exposed to prepping about two years ago. One year ago my wife and I read The Road. Since I had done some research on preps I used that opportunity to explain my feelings to my wife. I was concerned that she was going to think I was a little off of my rocker, but my concern was misplaced. She agreed with me and we started talking about it frequently. It took a good bit of time to move from reading, researching, and planning into the doing stage, but we've made it. We're in a much better position than we were last year at this time, but we still have oh-so-far to go.

The depressed economy and the possibility probability of deterioration are certainly some of the reasons I'm worried. There's more though. There has to be. I just can't put a finger on it. Maybe it's the fact that everyone else is worried too. I really don't know.

I do wonder though, did my parents ever feel like this? My grandparents? Is this just a natural side effecto of our changing world / country?

I'm 38. It's only been a few years since I started coming around to the really serious side of adult life. Maybe this is all caused my the fact that I'm "growing up" or just starting to take notice of these things. Maybe it's always been this way and it's just my turn to see it, feel it, worry about it, and then get over it.

Ah well. No more pondering for me today. Cheer up, take a deep breath, and smile :D

Just about everyone I know is worried. I think it is adding to my drive to get things done. Just tonight we were talking to people about what we can do to make some money when things get worse. We all have different talents and we know that we'll have to rely on each other to survive. Better to work it out now when you can think a little clearer, then when everyone is stressed. Hope that makes sense.

My Dh's job was going along gangbusters, and when I started talking about getting a working pantry, he went along with it, but I could tell that he was just humoring me. Suddenly, a paycheck is late and his work (he usually has 10-15 projects going at once)has slowed down, (he only has 2 projects currently). Thankfully, yesterday as we came home from picking up some last minute things for "thanksgiving" which we are celebrating tomorrow with family, I noticed that my pantry is starting to look really good and "full". Ok, we have only been doing this for 2 months, but we had a beginning working pantry anyway because of allergies. Certain things that we use because of allergies, I can only buy at certain times of the year.(We are allergic to Casein and soy so all butter and most margerines are out. But we have found a Kosher for Passover margerine that we can use so we have to buy a years worth at a time and freeze it. We also can find alternative breakfast cereals and crackers at that time of year and so we have to buy a years worth at a time. But now some other areas are looking filled out as well. I am so glad, I hate to be going into down work times just before the holidays. I hope things pick up again.....

I kinda slacked off the first half of this year. Spent most of the summer helping my Dad take care of my Mom. He's 87, she's 80. She had a heart attack, then fell broke her hip and had it replaced. Now she has Dementia. He's so healthy it's crazy. And they live about 400 miles away from me.

We had so much going on- finished getting our house built and getting moved in and settled. We bought this 3 acres almost 9 years ago and had a 20' camp trailer and a porta-potty til last year. DH and #1 son are making me 4 raised garden beds 4'x16'. Maybe 5 or 6. Does any one want some gophers? Be more than glad to send you some! We are putting hardware mesh on the bottom of the garden beds to keep the little monsters out.

My DD says I'm a squirrel! I've begun storing stuff away like mad. Since mid-September I have been canning, canning, canning. Over 600 jars so far and I feel like I haven't gotten started. Peaches, pears, plums, stews, soups, taters, meats and I MUST DO MORE. Good thing I bought 2 pickup truck loads of jars at that yard sale last summer. They laughed at me for "blowing" $30 bucks and spending days washing, washing, washing jars. over 80 cases of pint and quart jars. I just told them my pantry was going to be filled. And now I'm filling it up. So I guess I am a squirrel, gathering and storing away food for my family, cause we don't know whats gonna happen.

Hey Pigzilla! It's nice to see you posting again. :hug3:

I've been feeling the need to prep more and faster the past few months. DH and I both started working as caregivers taking care of his mom even though DH is on disability, just so we'd have some extra $$$ to put towards prepping. I also picked up another client and have been working practically nonstop between taking care of my mom, his mom, and my other client. I figured the extra $$$ would help get a few bills paid off and then go towards preps. One prep I hadn't counted on (at least not this soon) was getting another vehicle, but since the car had some major issues that would have taken too long to get repaired, we had to go ahead and get another vehicle now. But once the minivan is paid off, all extra $$$ goes into the prep and home repair funds. Until then, I'll work with the grocery store sale ads and my coupons to maximize my purchaing power in the food and nonfood categories and keep reading and organizing prep stuff when I can.

Edited by SleepyheadNM
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a test run last night... We live in SoCal desert. It's been very cold here (for us) and last night we got some blessed RAIN!! I was coming home from Christmas shopping and began to notice that the usual night lights of the neighbors weren't on. "Neighbors" are few and far between where we live, and no street lights, so the darkness was eerie.

Sure enough, when I got home, the power was off, and my DH was sitting in the dark with a flashlight nearby. We soon had a cozy fire in the fireplace and I brought out candles and battery operated "tap lights" and it all felt much safer and cozier. Then I began to really think about what worked and didn't. Our freezers were off, of course, as was the frig. I wanted a cup of tea, but didn't have a quick, handy way to heat water. I have a gas BBQ with burner on the side, but need to fill that other propane tank. I have some butterfly stoves and extra fuel blocks. I want to get oil lamps and lamp oil. We have plenty of firewood and matches, but I need some sort of grill for the fireplace. I think I can use one from the BBQ, held up by bricks. It was late, so the food issue didn't come up right away.

My laptop was charged, but not my cell phone. No internet. I have a small crank radio, but it would take a lot of cranking to get the cell phone charged again.....

Anyhow, a great heads up for me, about how really prepared I am and what I still need to do! Nothing like the REAL thing to make it real :>)

My latest acquisition is a crank lantern that uses 4 rather large LED's. These, along with several crank flashlights stored in strategic places, and a crank radio that uses multiple sources of power with the ability to charge my cell phone.

These are for immediate use in the event of a power failure and gives me the time to organize and do the things necessary for the longer-term existence.

Seriously, with everything going on right now, does anyone feel the need that you should really be getting things together. I mean there's the flu if nothing else. But the world, everything the government is doing, so much going on all over. I just have an uneasiness in my soul and I don't know if it's because I'm scared or it's because I feel this unending need to try and prepare that God is putting there. I can't spend a lot of money, but instead of looking for groceries, its what can I buy to store back. Or water containers, or medical things.

Katz, It's not just you. I am really scared about the economy. Within a few months, my DH business has completely dried up and there are still bills to pay. I have also really noticed that the hospital I work for is using everything they can to cut out benefits, raises of any kind and they are treating employees like they are a dime a dozen. There are no jobs available were I live and I am scared. All I can think about is how to get through this and starting on next seasons garden. I am worried.

I feel like I am lacking in a few areas. The long term food issue is one of them. I would like to get more dehydrated foods that will last a long time. I also need to refill my propane tanks, get more firewood and probably another five gallons of kerosene. So much to do with so little time I think.