MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Anyone Else Feel the Need to Prepare More?

Had a test run last night... We live in SoCal desert. It's been very cold here (for us) and last night we got some blessed RAIN!! I was coming home from Christmas shopping and began to notice that the usual night lights of the neighbors weren't on. "Neighbors" are few and far between where we live, and no street lights, so the darkness was eerie.

Sure enough, when I got home, the power was off, and my DH was sitting in the dark with a flashlight nearby. We soon had a cozy fire in the fireplace and I brought out candles and battery operated "tap lights" and it all felt much safer and cozier. Then I began to really think about what worked and didn't. Our freezers were off, of course, as was the frig. I wanted a cup of tea, but didn't have a quick, handy way to heat water. I have a gas BBQ with burner on the side, but need to fill that other propane tank. I have some butterfly stoves and extra fuel blocks. I want to get oil lamps and lamp oil. We have plenty of firewood and matches, but I need some sort of grill for the fireplace. I think I can use one from the BBQ, held up by bricks. It was late, so the food issue didn't come up right away.

My laptop was charged, but not my cell phone. No internet. I have a small crank radio, but it would take a lot of cranking to get the cell phone charged again.....

Anyhow, a great heads up for me, about how really prepared I am and what I still need to do! Nothing like the REAL thing to make it real :>)

Unless someone's got it, I think someone will taking a trip to buy the kind of phone charger that you use in the car. :D

Had a test run last night... We live in SoCal desert. It's been very cold here (for us) and last night we got some blessed RAIN!! I was coming home from Christmas shopping and began to notice that the usual night lights of the neighbors weren't on. "Neighbors" are few and far between where we live, and no street lights, so the darkness was eerie.

Sure enough, when I got home, the power was off, and my DH was sitting in the dark with a flashlight nearby. We soon had a cozy fire in the fireplace and I brought out candles and battery operated "tap lights" and it all felt much safer and cozier. Then I began to really think about what worked and didn't. Our freezers were off, of course, as was the frig. I wanted a cup of tea, but didn't have a quick, handy way to heat water. I have a gas BBQ with burner on the side, but need to fill that other propane tank. I have some butterfly stoves and extra fuel blocks. I want to get oil lamps and lamp oil. We have plenty of firewood and matches, but I need some sort of grill for the fireplace. I think I can use one from the BBQ, held up by bricks. It was late, so the food issue didn't come up right away.

My laptop was charged, but not my cell phone. No internet. I have a small crank radio, but it would take a lot of cranking to get the cell phone charged again.....

Anyhow, a great heads up for me, about how really prepared I am and what I still need to do! Nothing like the REAL thing to make it real :>)

Unless someone's got it, I think someone will taking a trip to buy the kind of phone charger that you use in the car. :D

LOL! I actually went out to the garage and was running the engine to charge up my cell phone, but thought hmmm, I would be wasting gasoline in a real crisis....... lots to think about.

LOL! I actually went out to the garage and was running the engine to charge up my cell phone, but thought hmmm, I would be wasting gasoline in a real crisis....... lots to think about.

pscathy:

You wouldn't be using any gas to charge your phone...just battery power.

Here is a nice solar battery charger unit that I am ordering soon. It will charge all sizes of batteries, more than only 2 batteries at a time and it also has capability to solar charge a cell phone or a lap top.

When there is no sun you can plug it into your home AC or to your car to charge rechareable batteries.

http://store.sundancesolar.com/10wasochwiva.html

I wonder if some of the 'free floating anxiety' we're experiencing is due to not knowing from whence cometh the threat. There are so many fronts out there we need to consider that it gets overwhelming. There's a little difference in the psychology of a weather event vs a civil or political event, because hurricanes happen (in Hartford, Hereford and Hampton hurricanes hardly ever happen :happy0203: ) and things generally return to some normalcy fairly soon (or there is the expectation - any Galvestonites here?). A weather event isn't so personal. But a political event (say, 9-11) is personal and you don't know if another attack is in the works. And sadly, human nature being what it is, such an attack (or the threat of one) allows TPTB ample opportunities for mischief as well.

In addition to weather related events and the potential for a terror attack, we have an economy in meltdown - for some it's in slow motion, for others its an onslaught.

We're being blindsided on a number of fronts. :faint3:

I wonder if some of the 'free floating anxiety' we're experiencing is due to not knowing from whence cometh the threat. There are so many fronts out there we need to consider that it gets overwhelming. There's a little difference in the psychology of a weather event vs a civil or political event, because hurricanes happen (in Hartford, Hereford and Hampton hurricanes hardly ever happen :happy0203: ) and things generally return to some normalcy fairly soon (or there is the expectation - any Galvestonites here?). A weather event isn't so personal. But a political event (say, 9-11) is personal and you don't know if another attack is in the works. And sadly, human nature being what it is, such an attack (or the threat of one) allows TPTB ample opportunities for mischief as well.

In addition to weather related events and the potential for a terror attack, we have an economy in meltdown - for some it's in slow motion, for others its an onslaught.

We're being blindsided on a number of fronts. :faint3:

Exactly!! There are so many things going on right now, how do you prepare and for how long. I'm very short on money and feel like I need to be more, but I just can't now. It gets me nervous and depressed because it seems like its with me all the time worrying about our country and what's going to happen...terror attack, government, weather. I feel overwhelmed and scared.

Now that school is finished for about a month, (and I have been putting off prepping much during this first semester), I am finding more to concerned about. I know I need more of everything, especially meat though. When I get my Student Loan Money in February, I plan to get a freezer and stock it, I need more candles, I had a bunch of stuff to put into the car for emergency stuff and the lil monsters ate it! GRRR. . . . I am also looking to move, so I don't want to do too much until I decide what I am specifically going to do. I lost some cleaning jobs and with the holidays I am loosing about 50% of income since I work on the days the holidays fall on and people aren't using me. :( If my sister hadn't sent me a check as a Christmas gift, we wouldn't have food!! Mom is even sending me a box of meats and veggies from Omaha steaks for Christmas since we aren't going home. I have a check that I got today and I am not even cashing it to pay the cable bill so that I have something if I still need food to fill in.

I too feel like something big is coming, I don't know why, but I feel something. Maybe it's the depression I experience but it feels different somehow this time.

Off to make a new list of all the stuff I want to get to get back up to speed.

There are several articles on internet news about how soybean, corn, rice and wheat crops have failed due to weather this year all over the world. Food shortages are expected in 2010 until new crops can be grown again. This affects animal feed as well. So as soon as you are done Christmas shopping, plug holes in your food storage. Prices are likely to go up quickly next year.

I'm not sure if I can find the links again. They were all from foreign newspapers about world crops. As far a domestic crops they were soybeans, corn, wheat, cotton, and so many fields in California lay unplanted due to environmental water disputes that I think every fresh item will see price rises. So I'd stock up on meats, corn, corn meal , flour and anything you especially love that you usually buy fresh but can get canned or frozen in fruits and vegetables. Some articiles especially cited dry milk and soy products. I guess the dairy farmers are having a very hard time because weather destroyed feed. So it's almost everything! Just be dilgent in your continued prepping and don't slack off as you use things. I just spent $300 at Sams Club today mostly on food to replace items and get more dried fruit and nuts. My basket had no Christmas items; so I sure did not look like the typical shopper this week.

http://www.marketskeptics.com/2009/12/2010...or-dummies.html

This is an article I read today. He doesn't give specifics on foods but it's interesting anyway.

What do you folks think of what he says? I noticed that some of the comments at the end of the blog express some skepticism. I have never read anything else by this man. Is he trustworthy?

chefddr, I, too feel like something big is coming and trust that God will guide me in what I need to do to be ready.

Daylily

I would seek information elsewhere. The link reads like a typical hysterical doom and gloom email, especially when they start playing with font sizes, colors, etc., not to say there isn't some truth in what he is saying.

There's things that will be happening in 2010 and beyond, economically and otherwise, that makes ongoing stockpiling a good thing. As for reports put out by the government, I love to provide the quote from the movie 2012: "When they tell you not to panic... that's when you run!".

Do your own research on the Internet and see what kind of information surfaces. Its out there to see, but you need to get past the juvenile, cult and government misleading garbage that is often put out.

Seriously, with everything going on right now, does anyone feel the need that you should really be getting things together. I mean there's the flu if nothing else. But the world, everything the government is doing, so much going on all over. I just have an uneasiness in my soul and I don't know if it's because I'm scared or it's because I feel this unending need to try and prepare that God is putting there. I can't spend a lot of money, but instead of looking for groceries, its what can I buy to store back. Or water containers, or medical things.

I just have a heavy feeling in my heart. Is this just me?

My husband and I have been prepping since 1999. It's now just a comfortable lifestyle. We raise heirloom vegetables, save the seeds for year after year gardening, can foods, purchase foods on sale to stock up, we rotate our preps so there is no waste, save what money can, invest what we can, repair what we can and live as self seficiantly as possible.

I have found I worry much less when I do more for myself. I have spent countless hours on the internet learning to do thing the old fashion ways and learning from other preppers.

We have backyard chickens and are thinking of raising rabbits for food again if things really get bad in the economy.

Canning Nerd, thanks for the heads up. Where do you suggest?

We also have a growing canning lifestyle learned from out grandparents and parents. It's jsut w way of life. Lately I've been thinking more about things we can't grow and being more prepared for natural disasters, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Canning Nerd, thanks for the heads up. Where do you suggest?

There's no one place, other than the Internet as a whole, where you can get all the answers. You just have to search and research, but with your eyes and mind open. Often it is what is NOT said that is more valuable than the written information, especially when it comes from government or other "official" sources.