MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Is it here in U.S....now?

ANewMe

http://www.kcci.com/news/21670309/detail.html

Polk Coroner: H1N1 Deaths Understated

Medical Examiner Says He's Autopsied Undiagnosed Patients

POSTED: 8:31 pm CST November 19, 2009

UPDATED: 7:39 am CST November 20, 2009

DES MOINES, Iowa -- Iowa has officially recorded 21 H1N1 deaths, including seven in Polk County alone. But the county's medical examiner said he has performed autopsies on some residents who were never diagnosed with H1N1, but actually had it.

"In the autopsy, what we're seeing is very heavy, wet hemorrhagic lungs, lungs with a lot of blood in them," said Dr. Gregory Schmunk.

He said the official count of seven H1N1 deaths is inaccurate, but patient rights laws prohibit him from giving specific numbers.

He said there are two reasons for the discrepancy. First, not all sick patients get tests and second, the virus is difficult to detect. Some patients may be too sick to receive the most accurate H1N1 test.

"They're not always done and it can be hazardous to the patient if they're in a respiratory critical situation," Schmunk said.

He also said that some tests reveal a false negative.

"Because of our limitations on testing, sometimes the tests aren't positive," he said. "They do appear to fit clinically the course of a H1N1 viral-type pneumonia."

He said the cases he's seen in Polk County were all middle-aged adults with a few underlying health conditions.

"These may be the patients that are obese," Schmunk said. "Obesity restricts your ability to breathe and clear the virus from your upper respiratory."

He also said that some of the patients had diabetes.

Schmunk said his urging people to get the vaccine.

"The thing that concerns me the most is, you still have people out there they believe that if I get the vaccine, the shot, then I'm going to get the flu," he said. "You can't get the flu from the shot."

He said that in the meantime, remember to wash your hands, sneeze into your sleeve and stay home if you're sick. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said one person who goes to work sick with the virus will infect 10 percent of his or her co-workers.

You won't get the flu from the injection. You might give the flu to someone if you have the Flumist nasal spray vaccine, as you can shed live virus for up to 3 wks afterward.

As I mentioned on the other thread this guy Ecoparity, that I have followed on abovetopsecret..seems to really know what he is talking about. So you can take this with a grain of salt, but after following alot of his post he seems to be in a position with a lot of contacts and very level.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread515093/pg216

reply posted on 21-11-2009 @ 04:29 PM by ecoparity

The warning went out to hospitals and other health care facilities that the new strain of swine flu is in the US and that they expect to see a large number of deaths and infected.

There won't be enough vaccine to go around and the virus is showing signs of being Tamiflu resistant. This leaves only one antiviral that works but it is an inhalation delivery which won't be very effective on people with breathing problems and children.

52 people have died in a 48 hour time span in Canada....

My daughter had this ! I tell you it was scary. She was coughing and vomiting up blood from her lungs. The antibiotics finally took care of it. She was sick well over a month with it. I truly thought she may die and we would have to raise our grandson.

She is still tired out, but I told her it would take a long time to get all her strength back. At least she survived it. It is no joke ! This disease is here in the USA !

Before I came to work this morning they were talking about the Tamiflu resistant H1N1 here and the doctor (with Fox) was very concerned. He said they have only Tamiflu and one other I won't say the name because I can't remember it exactly...something like Resti... Anyway those were the only two antibiotics they had to try and stop it..after that..who knows.

Anyway he was very concerned about it. And this is the same doctor in the past weeks that hasn't been that worried, saying everything was looking okay. Got my attention.

This "mutation" is everywhere. Norway, Canada, US and a few others, not to mention whatever is going on in the Ukraine and other European countries. I keep dropping hints, emailing a few articles here and there and nobody is paying attention. I'm just coming off as Chicken Little. They have all become SO complacent because "our" outbreak was not the big Emergency/Hype that was reported earlier this year. I keep hearing that it's "too far away". What are these people thinking?

These are the people I fear the most. They are not taking precautions and will be the first to get sick...and these are the same people I rub elbows with on a daily basis, or close to it. I am Hand-Gelling myself at every turn. Surely I will be ostracized when they see me with a face mask. :o

This "mutation" is everywhere. Norway, Canada, US and a few others, not to mention whatever is going on in the Ukraine and other European countries. I keep dropping hints, emailing a few articles here and there and nobody is paying attention. I'm just coming off as Chicken Little. They have all become SO complacent because "our" outbreak was not the big Emergency/Hype that was reported earlier this year. I keep hearing that it's "too far away". What are these people thinking?

These are the people I fear the most. They are not taking precautions and will be the first to get sick...and these are the same people I rub elbows with on a daily basis, or close to it. I am Hand-Gelling myself at every turn. Surely I will be ostracized when they see me with a face mask. :o

I know its frustrating. I keep telling people and they just look at me like I'm a nut, so I stopped talking. We had a man die in our E.R. today from H1N1 in his 40's. Sick with H1N1, they said turned to pneumonia (thinking where have I heard that before!!). They couldn't even intubate him in the E.R. It's scarey. I live in a very small town in West Texas. This stuff is all over and people are just going about their lives and I'm screaming inside thinking wake up people and read what's going on, what could happen, what is happening. It's very frustrating.

Violet...I had no idea that her's was THAT bad. I mean I knew that you said she was pretty sick but not like that....please keep us posted.

I keep thinking about the kid here who had flu like symptoms but was sent home with Zyrtec. Collapsed in the clinic waiting room a few days later, started bleeding profusely from mouth and nose and when they tried to resesitate...got worst. He died. CDC took over and we have not heard a word since...that was August.

I'm a little concerned about Black Friday. It's a routiine with my Mom and I to shop and we really look foward to going. My daughter started going with us last year. Kind of like a rite of passage. She's 4 and I'm thinking of trying to get out of taking her. I just don't know...

Pulled this from the following site/blog....if interested should check out blog. Looks very informative.

http://pf11-trends-and-issues.blogspot.com/

2009-11-23

Hemorrhagic Pneumonia: CDC Issues Alert to Physicians for Heightened Surveillance

This report is preliminary and will be reviewed for corroboration as the official documents become available.

Although confirmation is not yet complete on this item, the American CDC has apparently issued an alert to physicians concerning hemorrhagic pneumonia in the United States. The North Carolina Medical Society has published a description of the CDC alert and has identified a reporting point in their state.

The PF11 viral reservoir is extending and revising in important areas concerning trait enhancements. Since the early part of the pandemic, this viral reservoir has exhibited exceptional abilities to damage the human body due to Influenza Flux; however, we may now be moving into deeper water if this alert is validated. While no one may say exactly where this virus is going, we are able to track the genetics and the human clinical outcomes correlated to those genetics.

Deep lung involvement appears to be supported as a trait enhancement via the D225G polymorphism on the viral Hemagglutinin. 225G is not a new incursion into ΣPF11, but now paired with 206T is becoming a higher concern. The US and Mexico demonstrated 225G with 206S early in the pandemic. 206T, as predicted, has now become fixed or consensus in many geographies. Recent studies on the Ukraine, Russia, China and Norway show 225G in the Hemagglutinin to be circulating alongside the dangerous 225E and the wildtype 225D bearing strains.

Heightened surveillance is being required from the medical community while the general public is receiving communications with an alternate message? Moms and Dads will want to get ahead of this issue by gathering accurate and complete information as soon as possible. PF11 will be with us for a long time.

Gather and Solve.

For additional background on the clinical and epidemiological observational facts concerning Pandemic Influenza H1N1, please refer to the Table of Contents for PF11 Trends & Issues, Mid-Term.

http://www.ncmedsoc.org/blog/wp-content/up...icPneumonia.pdf

Physicians Asked to be on the Lookout for Possible “Hemorrhagic Pneumonia Cases”

Among Influenza Patients

The CDC says that there have been some anecdotal reports of possible "hemorrhagic

pneumonia" cases among influenza patients who have died or been hospitalized for

severe illness. The phrase "hemorrhagic pneumonia" is somewhat outdated, and most

clinicians will not use the term to describe this condition, which can be a very rare

complication of viral respiratory infection. Some other terms that can be used to

describe this include diffuse alveolar hemorrhage (DAH), which can be caused by

infections but doesn't have to be, and hemorrhagic pneumonitis. In any event, it's a

serious complication that will sometimes lead to acute respiratory distress syndrome

(ARDS). It occurs very rarely as a complication of seasonal influenza, and there is some

concern that it might be more common in H1N1 infections.

The CDC is asking state health officials to look out for possible cases that may involve

clusters of patients who might have these symptoms, or a large proportion of cases with

these symptoms (e.g., 4 of 5 deaths). They will invariably be among the most severely ill

influenza patients (i.e., deaths, ICU patients).

This is a hard diagnosis to make, and the most telling symptom may be hemoptysis

(bloody sputum, frothy bloody cough), although not all cases will have it.

• Acute onset of rather more severe respiratory infection (dyspnea‐‐ difficulty

breathing‐‐ is common)

• Hemoptysis is often seen on initial presentation (~70% of cases)

• CXR and physical exam will suggest alveolar infiltrates (radiographic opacities)

• Diagnosis is usually made by BAL (brochoalveolar lavage) and pathology testing

(increasingly more hemorrhagic fluid/secretions from sequential BAL

Email sent by the Regional Liaison Officer, Region IV, H1N1 Response Surveillance and

Epidemiology Team, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Questions concerning possible cases or this email may be directed to Medical Epidemiologist

Zach Moore, MD, at the North Carolina Division of Public health at zach.moore@dhhs.nc.gov

http://www.recombinomics.com/News/11230903...ster_Fatal.html

Fatal H1N1 Cluster in Texas Raises Pandemic Concerns

Recombinomics Commentary 22:55

November 23, 2009

A hospital spokesman has confirmed the second recorded H1N1 related death in Nacogdoches County. The 53-year-old oil rig worker from Enid, Oklahoma died Friday at 3:50 p.m.

The victim checked into Nacogdoches Memorial Hospital last week when he began experiencing severe symptoms.

This update follows the death of his roommate, a 55-year-old oil rig worker from Mississippi, who passed away Thursday morning as a result of H1N1.

The above comments describe the deaths of roommates infected with H1N1. Since the vast majority of H1N1 infections are mild, the death of two roommates within 24 hours of each others raises concerns that they were infected with a lethal contagious form of the virus. Recent reports out of Ukraine has raised concerns that H1N1 with the receptor binding domain change D225G, is such a virus.

Ukraine has reported 388 pneumonia deaths in the past several weeks and agency reports described 90 cases which involved total destruction of both lungs. Recently released sequences from Mill Hill in London included 4 fatal cases and all four cases had D225G, which was not present in the other six sequences which appear to be from milder cases.

D225G was identified during the 1918 pandemic in lung samples from victims in New York in 1918 and London in 1919. This change was also detected during 2009 pandemic target reassortants, indicating D225G is present as mixtures in various individuals. These mixtures can segregate during passage through hosts since D225G is a receptor binding domain that influences tissue tropism and allows the virus to target alpha 2,3 receptors, such as those seen in type II lung alveolar cells. Many of the fatal cases in the United States have also involved ARDS and hemorrhagic lungs, raising concerns that isolates with high levels of D225G can produce the increasing levels of such fatalities being reported throughout the northern hemisphere, including cases in Norway.

Since the D225G can circulate as a mixture, transmission and lung targeting can be facilitated by pseudo-typing. Moreover, D225G was identified in the vaccine target, A/California/7/2009, indicating claims of "spontaneous mutations" in patients in Norway or Ukraine are false.

The increasing number of deaths, including the cluster described in Texas raises concerns that D225G is gaining traction. More sequencing of samples near lung tissues in severe and fatal cases would be useful.

I'm a little concerned about Black Friday. It's a routiine with my Mom and I to shop and we really look foward to going. My daughter started going with us last year. Kind of like a rite of passage. She's 4 and I'm thinking of trying to get out of taking her. I just don't know...
ANewMe, that sounds like the attitude and actions of a loving mommy. I suggest you and your mom stay home, too. JMNHO.

I was on the fence about going shopping mainly because of the crowds and the atmosphere of what I feel is not the meaning of Christmas (the whole greedy grabbing nastiness lol) I never gave one thought to contamination! Thank you for raising this point, I am going to stay home and buy whats on my list via the internet. We are only buying for our children this year and a limited amount at that. Works for me!

ps. keep the news coming :thumbs:

Another post from the person that I have been following....looks as if they are bugging out which kind of suprised me. He has not struck me as a fearmonger or anyone who over-reacts. He also seems to have some contacts somewhere that knows what is going on...So take for what it's worth

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread521342/pg7

reply posted on 22-11-2009 @ 09:47 PM by ecoparity

We all had the mild form of it back over the summer, I was hit the worst. None of us took the vaccine, I wasn't opposed to it but was waiting for this mutation to happen before acting, now it's just too late. The WHO and news media did a great job of postponing the news, they still have people unsure and wondering even now.

We started preparing back in April. We have meds and these special masks called "nano masks" that actually do stop the virus from penetrating.

We have a remote place set up and we're getting ready to head out. The last grocery trip is underway as I type this. We plan to isolate for three weeks but we have supplies for a year. We're just hoping none of us are already infected.

I have all the medical equipment and supplies, a couple of relatives will be meeting us there who are both qualified as surgeons - not much more we can do at this point.

We think the CDC will make some sort of announcement within a week and they'll probably use the squalene to double the next batch of vaccines. If they do announce some sort of vaccine drive or rapid vaccination program it will be mainly to keep people calm.

We're hoping the prior infections and millions already vaccinated will slow down or even stop the spread. No one can say for sure which way things will go, all we can do is make the decision to go ahead and put plans in motion or not.

ANewMe,

I'm in NC, and somehow had a feeling that those deaths at Duke Univ Hospitals last week was due to the same strain as that which was identified in the Ukraine. :(

I've followed the other Ukraine thread very closely...but remind me where ecoparity (from abovetopsecret) is from please. Is he actually in the Ukraine?

Thanks for being so diligent in providing us with info!

ANewMe,

I'm in NC, and somehow had a feeling that those deaths at Duke Univ Hospitals last week was due to the same strain as that which was identified in the Ukraine. :(

I've followed the other Ukraine thread very closely...but remind me where ecoparity (from abovetopsecret) is from please. Is he actually in the Ukraine?

Thanks for being so diligent in providing us with info!

No problem MamaHill...Ecoparity is from somewhere here in the U.S. I don't know where. I'm not a member of that site. I go there to read up on any current events that may be taking place that the MSM is not covering. There's a lot of bogus stuff there and you have to just scan through the thread titles to get an idea on what may be legit. There are survivalist there as well as people WANTING the world to blow up. Anyone who has been there will know what I am talking about. I have followed his post a little more closely than others. When it all started down in Mexico I followed it on abovetopsecret. He stood out because he wasn't so quick to jump on any bandwagon of thought and was very meticulous with his research. After reading his post for a while on that thread and others it became pretty apparent to me that he obviously had some connections somewhere that enabled him to get a general idea of what was going on. Now, that was my opinion of him...

After posting his response above many asked him what was making him make this decision. He said with it being a huge holiday and all the travel they made the decision to take a long "vacation". That is how they are looking at it and approaching it with their children. He said he recently retired so he doesn't have to worry about taking off work. They have made plans to be away from the general public and see what happens.

Archived