MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 42

Cat

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I borrowed DD foodsaver and packed all the leftovers in the freezer. We are used to cooking for an army at Thanksgiving and still do even though we are usually only a platoon these days. :D

I continue my organizing adventure and reluctantly admit I'm getting nowhere fast. I need a better plan. :o

I got two chickens cooked and cubed in preparation for making Darlene's chicken soup to can. But the county extension agent that checks the gauges here was out until next week. So I froze the prepared birds and the beautiful broth and will finally get to use my canner hopefully this week. We left DD with some turkey and carcus for a little turkey broth to can.

We're making the transition to organic flee control for the Boy Dog, and the flees are winning. So I dusted the house with diatomaceous earth and left it on the floors a while before vacuuming up. Nasty job, but I'm determined to get rid of the chemicals in the house as much as possible. Oh, and the N-95s came in handy for this job!!

Did more research into healthy living, eating and cooking. Worked on my current inventory a little more. Still got a ways to go there ... not so much in the food area but in the area of equipment, fuel, water, etc.

I feel like I've already posted some of this. Sorry for the repeat if I did!!

I answered a craigslist add from someone who had over 100 canning jars to sell at $5 a dozen, so I spent $35 and bought 84 jars. Looking forward to filling them. Unfortunately they dont have any rings so I will have to buy someof those.

Unfortunately they dont have any rings so I will have to buy someof those.

If you have done any canning before you should have plenty of rings since they are only used/needed during the canning process and then removed. You will needs lots of new flat lids though.

I discovered that Nido powdered milk will work for me for coffee creamer. I'll be able to drink coffee longer without having any stomach problems. YAY!

Now to get a stock of cans to pack in the boxes right next to the coffee.

Our Preps were over taking our small house so over the long Thanksgiving weekend we completely converted a spare room in to a full-on storage room. We laid in a fresh new coat of paint, floor to ceiling and put in several shelving units. Now I have room for all our Long-Term preps and all my canned/dehydrated goods are easily accessible and easily "rotatable" (is that a word?). It came out better than our expectations which is always a Bonus!

Tonight, after seeing exactly what we had on hand now that everything has been "exposed", I was able to go through some stuff that needed to be "put up" for Long-Term storage and got it all tended to except for the stuff that needs to be bucketed (another word only like-minded people would understand, I suppose.)

We have worked our tails off the past few days and our bodies are sore but what a pay off! To be able to walk in to a room and see everything we have strived for over the past year. It's a beautiful thing and such a blessing to know it's there when we need it!

We have worked our tails off the past few days and our bodies are sore but what a pay off! To be able to walk in to a room and see everything we have strived for over the past year. It's a beautiful thing and such a blessing to know it's there when we need it!

Fantastic job!!! Good for you!!

This week Iv been tackling the piles of Clutter. Iv even started a no fools filing system for brothers stuff, hopefully it will work and we wont have the Diva stuff when he cant find anything (because he never puts anything in one place).

Got lots of different sized envelopes, and labels.

At Drs this morning, I have put on 1/2 Ib, so we will see what she says.

Edited to add: Got to have blood tests in the new year, and work on introducing some other foods. No real worries yet!

Edited by Purdy Bear

:laughkick:

......"rotatable"

....."bucketed"

Well Gettingready, are those kind like "I found a big bag of flour today that needs to be "plastic jarred"????

Perfectly comprehensible.....aren't they? :D

MtRider

Got lots of my sewing patterns arriving. I just need to get some at the beginning of January (when my bank balance has recovered a bit), off a pattern dealer, they dont seem to do the ones I need on Ebay or they are no cheaper.

Still doing lots of organizing and decluttering research. Iv begun to declutter, the wardrobe is just about done, the DVDs are now half the amount, and Iv sorted the shoes as well.

Found some brilliant double sided draught excluders for the doors. They are just like pipe warmers in material that simply slide in place and work really well.

Iv got the Dove Gluten Free Bread Flour to try, Iv been told it comes up pretty flat, which isnt too bad as I want it for cookies/biscuits. The Rye flour is ok for pastry, but doesnt really work for cookies.

Got lots of my sewing patterns arriving. I just need to get some at the beginning of January (when my bank balance has recovered a bit), off a pattern dealer, they dont seem to do the ones I need on Ebay or they are no cheaper.

Still doing lots of organizing and decluttering research. Iv begun to declutter, the wardrobe is just about done, the DVDs are now half the amount, and Iv sorted the shoes as well.

Found some brilliant double sided draught excluders for the doors. They are just like pipe warmers in material that simply slide in place and work really well.

Iv got the Dove Gluten Free Bread Flour to try, Iv been told it comes up pretty flat, which isnt too bad as I want it for cookies/biscuits. The Rye flour is ok for pastry, but doesnt really work for cookies.

Can you eat oats? I grind whole oat groats for flour and it makes the best cookies and cakes. Daughter has celiac disease and can't eat the rolled oats from the store but can have the flour I make from the groats.

Can you eat oats? I grind whole oat groats for flour and it makes the best cookies and cakes. Daughter has celiac disease and can't eat the rolled oats from the store but can have the flour I make from the groats.

I can eat Ready Break, which is a porridge but I havent tried the bigger oats. Iv got some syrup coming on Saturday to try out flapjacks.

Two more oil/kerosene lamps arrived. Dietz Jupiter [very large oil capacity and can be used to give just a little heat to a greenhouse without running out of oil for a while.] And a small hanging lantern with a reflector. Had a gift certificate. :cheer: [and I've already "used" them to keep warm in a blizzard in our covered wagons....in our Pioneer Living story. :laughkick: ]

Am slowly retrieving beets from root cellar to boil, peel, and slice for dehydrating. They rehydrate nicely. Need to pickle more too. :yum3:

All livestock survived the severe cold [23 below---twice!] ...so we must be doing something right. Made sure I knew how to start the kerosene heater [save pipes in basement] and the MrHeater [up here]. Big Dog is Plan B for keeping warm if power goes out in the severe WIND.

MtRider [i do not *want* to have to be prepared for power to go out in severe subzero conditions.... :shakinghead: ]

Went to a big box store today, used some coupons that were getting ready to expire and stocked up on some toiletries and other odds and ends to fill in some gaps. Of course, filling in the prepping gaps from a big box store leaves other gaps...like in the budget :0327: . Only thing I'm telling DH is "I saved $82.00!!" :behindsofa::laughkick:

I also did a shopping trip just to use coupons getting ready to expire. Had a lot that expire December 31st. I didn't get everything I wanted to but most of it. Didn't save $82 but it was still pretty good!

Slowly cooking up the pumpkins and squash and putting in the freezer or using if needed. I still have several in the garage. Checking them weekly for signs they are beginning to go bad. I will roast pumpkin seeds tonight... yummy! I would like to think I could save those but I eat them all up in no time flat.

Dad had to go see the surgeon again about his foot again. So in readiness we got his hospital bag together. I dont need the list anymore, I just got it together in about five minutes. Luckily he came home, and didnt need to use it. His going back in late December.

It was a very good exercise, it just shows how things go in the brain and you memorise without realising it.

my preps have slowed down quite a bit, we aren't in "getting ahead" mode as much as we are in "treading water and trying to stay afloat" mode. Unfortunately we've had to dig into our preps, but ya know, I'm glad we have them.

But I did want to share a fabulous deal and prep that I accomplished! A guy near me was selling raspberry plants $1 each, or one dozen for $10. You dig them. He grows them in his backyard and has over 100 plants (they are readily multiplying).

I ordered my dozen, picked them up, chatted w/ him a few minutes, then drove the short drive home.

GUESS WHAT???

I counted the plants in my buckets, I knew he gave me extra but I had no idea how many...he gave me 24 raspberry plants for $10!!!!

That deserves a BIG double :woohoo::woohoo:

:cele:

I should have plenty to free, barter, etc. Thank you Lord.

:thumbs:

Edited by LaBellaVita

Received the last big shop before Xmas. Dad will get the fresh fruit, veg and bread from our local farm shop later in the week.

Got some toothbrushes, I always seem to forget those.

My canned fruit cupboard is to bursting. I day dream of having rolling can shelves.

Decluttering going very well. Iv found if I do an hour in two sections with a good rest in between it works out well.

Slowly starting to build back up from the months we had to live on our preps. I'm back to one open and one in reserve, instead of just one open. A long, long way to go yet, but I've started again. Some things I had plenty of and still do, but a great deal was used up.

Thank heavens DD is breastfeeding, it takes most of their money just to keep that kid in diapers and wipes! (I mentioned cloth, but didn't get a good reception.) :)

DH got in touch with a friend who has agreed to clear some of our land in exchange for the wood. We have been reading Carleen Madigan's book The Backyard Homestead and want to try the plan for a tenth of an acre. I'd like to do the 1/4 acre, but the smaller plot is probably enough for me to tackle now. We're about to head outside to figure out where to put the chickens.

We also agreed to prioritize what needs to be done inside our house. We still have a few finishing touches to do (the utility room finally got its door yesterday! Hurray! Now it needs a door knob!) to get things done. ( :008Laughing: yeah, right. Done.) We're making a list of things to tackle each night and agreeing to limit the time spent to about 90 minutes during the work week. It gets dark around here by 4:30 (although now that the solstice is over, the days will get a little longer) and certainly by 5, so working outside is pretty much limited to weekends.