MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 42

Cat

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marjorie~

Can I ask you a stupid question? How do you do with the Nuclear Plant being so close? DH was offered a job about 3 years about near 2 of them and the evacuation/notice times that they gave us were a HUGE turn off to me. Even if we lived south of the southern most, we have 5 minutes or less. I was kind of amazed that they looked shocked when we asked about the evacuation times, plans, and emergency response in any type of emergency. I guess commonsense really isn't so common anymore.

Picked up some more food from Costco, ordered a gallon of coconut oil from Nutiva ($10 off coupon if you "like" them on facebook), got more RealSalt from the natural foods store.

I need to order A Book for Midwives from the Hesperian Foundation.

I'm also signing up for Bradley Method childbirth classes and will take my 14 yo dd to them with me and dh. This way she'll also learn about fetal development and how to manage labor should she ever be in the situation that she'd need to. Kinda like a first aid class for pregnancy :D

And I found that I have potassium iodide in my stores, which I had forgotten that I had bought. It's the crystals, not the mixed solution or tablets, but I have the instructions for how to use it from Nuclear War Survival Skills.

I bought that book in 98 I think, but now I live 10 miles from a nuclear power plant so it's nice to have the information.

We tested our backup lighting this week. I was thrilled to find out that the outdoor solar lights that I found at Ace Hardware will stay brightly lit for 3 days in the house. For power outages these lights are much safer than candles with our curious kitties roaming around. A bonus is that we can also use them to charge extra AA NiCad batteries. Ace gave me a coupon for $5 off a purchase next week so I am going back to pick up a few more.

Marjorie~

Can I ask you a stupid question? How do you do with the Nuclear Plant being so close? DH was offered a job about 3 years about near 2 of them and the evacuation/notice times that they gave us were a HUGE turn off to me. Even if we lived south of the southern most, we have 5 minutes or less. I was kind of amazed that they looked shocked when we asked about the evacuation times, plans, and emergency response in any type of emergency. I guess commonsense really isn't so common anymore.

I have no problems with it. Just about everyone in the area works there including dh, so I figure we'd actually be notified pretty quickly if anything did happen (ie, one of the neighbors would call). And the safety systems they have in place are triple or more redundancy -- for example, there's backup diesel generators on site, backup gas generators on site, and 3 different sources of off site power so the chances of the plant losing critical power are about 0. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) is very strict.

The only thing that I worry about is a massive catastrophic event, the kind like an asteroid strike or something, that wouldn't allow the plant to be shut down properly if it couldn't be maintained and then all our preps would be for nothing because we wouldn't be able to stay here and would have to evacuate to another part of the country.

And that's just one of those things in the back of my mind, like 'what would be the purpose of putting in a huge water tank to get us through 5 months of drought, since if we as a country really had absolutely no electric or gas to run the generator then the nuclear plant would mean we couldn't stay here anyways.'

Darlene's thread entitled, "I've Always Said," caused me to step away from the computer to do an inventory of our preps. During the holiday season, we seemed to run through few quite a few things because everyone was at home. (It is amazing how much toilet paper you go through when four adults are in the house all the time!) Anyway, I did identify some shortages in the pantry and tried to correct them with a trip to the dollar store, Aldis and Tops. I won't inventory the freezer until tomorrow, but there were a few things that I knew that we had to buy for that, too.

We bought 5 cans of chicken, 6 cans of veggies, 2 loaves of bread, 5 lbs of ground turkey, 2 canisters of garlic powder, 5 packs of turkey bacon, 3 lbs. of apples, 5 lbs of potatoes, walnuts, mayo and syrup, 40 packs of gum, frozen raspberries. This week we also bought 5 lbs of whole wheat pasta, a bunch of celery for the dehydrator, a chunk of romano cheese and 2 pks of english muffins.

By my calculations, this purchase gives us an additional 35 meals for our family.

Edited by themartianchick

Trip to Costco, I bought 9 tubes of toothpaste (2 different brands). It worked out to be $2.25 & $2.17 per 8 oz tube. 10 toothbrushes for less than $1.00 a brush. I'll end up picking up 2 more of the toothpaste and another pack of toothbrushes which will take care of toothpaste for more that a year and toothbrushes for DH. Extra 12 pack of Scott toilet tissue for $7.00

DH and I decided to pull our 3 little blueberry bushes and relocate them to my parents (sandy soil) and put a pear tree in their place.

Stopped by the military surplus store to get winter socks for DH. I ended up leaving with a cute little 2qt dutch oven and a camping coffee pot that fits perfectly in my solar oven. They've recently restocked the store - they were out of everything related to cooking right before the holidays. I can't wait to go back on my day off and spend some time looking around.

Our grocery store had plastic turkey roasting bags on clearance. I bought everything they had. These bags work well with solar oven or you can use them to make a windshield shade solar cooker. You can never have to many cooking options. :campfire:

Edited by Leanna1017

The bottle of KI crystals I ordered came in. Now I have enough for all the children in the neighborhood plus us plus my dairy goats for the same price as buying tablets for just the two of us. I got 100gm at http://www.enasco.com/farmandranch/ 2 drops of saturated solution is the adult dose. To make saturated solution take a small dropper bottle and fill about 3/4 with distilled or purified water. Drop in about 1/4 tsp crystals and shake it until they dissolve. If they dissolve completely add some more crystals and shake again. You want as much to dissolve as will do so and still have solids on the bottom of the bottle. To give the dose, put the drops on a small piece of bread and roll it into a pill. Swallow it with plenty of water without chewing it. Stuff tastes nasty.

For the past several years I have been, off and on, loosing weight. Went to the doctor in December and I had lost a total now of 105 pounds! I still have a long way to go. I walk three times a week, even when my knee is killing me, for a half an hour. Doesn't seem like much but my friend and I are both on the weight loss train and determined to get into some skinny jeans by this time next year. LOL Just kidding those will never look good on me!

I dehydrated a load of bananas. Broccolli and now I am doing some zucchini!

Each day is prep day because we lost almost 700 a month in income. We are surviving on church and preps.

With the encouragement (enabling?) of the good folks here at Mrs. S., I purchased 18 small skeins of yarn, a few crochet hooks and knitting needles. I also have some shrimp dehydrating in the kitchen as an experiment and sent hubby out to pick up a few additional food preps: 5 lbs of chicken wings, 2 loaves of bread for the freezer, 4 packs of turkey bacon and a box of powdered milk. Not a lot, but my goal is to try to add some new item or skill to my preps every day.

After work, we swung by the grocery store to see if there was any meat on sale. We bought two big packs of chicken, two big boxes of waffles, 4 eleven ounce cans of Folgers, a big pack of Hebrew National hot dogs, 4 bags of frozen veggies, 4 packs of chicken breakfast sausage, 4 packs of american cheese, alfredo sauce, two big packs of smoked turkey necks (for seasoning collard greens and green beans) Our deep freeze is full. I'm gonna have to start dehydrating some of the frozen veggies to free up space in the freezer.

Between sales, coupons, my KMart rewards card points and the gift certificates I earn thru my health insurance co. I bought $100.00 worth of stuff for $19.00 out of pocket. Stocked up on toiletries, cleaning and paper products, plus propane for the camp stove.

I stopped at the local plant nursery for a 6 pack of romaine. There were pretty much wiped out of any edible plant. Lots of people who never bothered before are now starting vegetable gardens and they can't keep up with the demand. I ended up with 2 asparagus crowns, a blackberry bush and some purple sage. I came home and planted more lettuce and radishes seeds. Looks like I'll be doing everything from seed this season. Usually I do half seeds and half starter plants from the nursery.

We also finally made the decision to raise chickens. I called a local guy who advertises on Craigslist and he is making me a coop. It will be here on Saturday.

Since I get chilblains, I decided to order up some of those chemical handwarmers. An internet search yielded this site:

http://www.warmers.com/

They are having a sale that they call their best deal ever. (I dunno if it is or not but the price sounded good to me!) I ordered 40 of the toe warmers and 40 of the hand warmers for $50 total. Shipping is free on orders over $19. I figure that I won't be using them every day but they will be available to me on the coldest of days. They make a pretty good prep item in the event of an emergency, too.

After reading Darlene's post, I cleaned out all my kitchen cabinets and inventoried everything. I found some things that had two opened. I combined them and put all the like things together. My DH helps but does not put things back where they belong. Now I have a number of each item and even have a little room left on some shelves. Now I need to replace what I am getting low on Like (black pepper and chili powder). Payday in a week, so Sam's here I come. Next thing on list is garage. I think sometimes that is hopeless but keep trying. Ya'll keep posting because it sure encourages me to keep getting at least something done each day. God bless. CGA I need to take lessons from you about being more independent. I have made butter out of cow's milk but not goat milk. I am learning how to make almond milk. It taste alright.

:eclipsee_Victoria:

Last night , we went to Ollie's Bargain Outlet. They had mailed me a coupon for 15% off on any purchase. Sooo... we bought some food items that they had and added them to the pantry. I also got 4 books: 2 novels, a knitting book and a crocheting book. I also picked up two large binders to catalog some more prep-type information. We also visited the dollar store again and I was able to buy another 15 small skeins of yarn and another set of knitting needles that are much longer than the ones that I bought last week.

themartianchick-That is a pretty good deal on the hand warmers. On Amazon they are $25-30 for just 40. I might end up getting some for a backpacking trip I am going on. Thanks for the link!

Grocery store had canned chili and canned tomatoes 10 for $5, so I stacked some coupons and bought 10 of each, I think I'll go back and get some more. Also the dollar store finally has packages for rice 2 pounds for $1, they had only been one pound bags for the longest time, so I stocked up on some of those and filled up a bucket. I heard about a possible frozen green bean deal, so I am going to ask my husband to go check it out tomorrow.

Made a major step towards preparedness this last week by selling our house in AZ and buying one on a half acre in southern california. Also have solar set to be installed, so we'll be able to grow something & raise chickens (no hoa finally) if we have to and keep utility costs down too! Oh - and we moved all of our preps.

Fantastic news, Sara!

We ran a few errands today... Another trip to Dollar Tree to stock up on the supplements that we use like fish oil and glucosamine and the last package of feta cheese that the store had in stock. We also went to Ollie's again. This time, we bought ten boxes of instant organic oatmealfor 89 cents each. We also got two boxes of cereal. We probably won't be spending as much on preps this week because we have to make a trip to Philadelphia. Rental car, hotel, meals out...There goes the extra cash!

I did finish doing our taxes so a refund will soon be on the way to assist us with buying some more preps.

Got some American cheese on sale at the store along with some canned veggies. Also finally got our little weather station set up and running fairly well. It's not totally happy, running in 7, but we may be able to trick it into thinking it is in XP instead. I just have to figure out how to do that.