MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 42

Cat

:woohoo: Which brand did you get? Time to stock up on jars and lids now. Let us know how your canning goes.

:wormie2:

John

I got an All American. It seemed like a really good one from the discussion on the boards, and so we decided it was an investment. I have about 30 quart jars (regular mouths) and lids for them. I just need to decide what to do first.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:woohoo: Which brand did you get? Time to stock up on jars and lids now. Let us know how your canning goes.

:wormie2:

John

I got an All American. It seemed like a really good one from the discussion on the boards, and so we decided it was an investment. I have about 30 quart jars (regular mouths) and lids for them. I just need to decide what to do first.

I started out with chicken stock (recipe is on page 61 of latest Ball Blue Book). Actually, that was today. It went ok, thanks to WormGuy, Darlene, Jake and Stephanie. Kinda scary at first. I have an All American 915 I got on Ebay a couple of years ago. Finally got to use it! Have fun and don't hesitate to post any questions up here. These folks are the best! :gathering:

Iv been very busy most of the Xmas holidays.

Dad's foot was playing up, so I cooked all the time (he usually loves to do it), and also cooked my first Christmas Meal. On top of this was all the housework, which he usually helps with.

He went into hospital last Wednesday, and is expected to have an op this coming week on his foot again (another bit to be removed).

This leaves me with Diva brother, who is trying to play up, but only building a rod for his own back. He doesnt want me to touch HIS stuff, so I havent. His washing is mounting up very nicely outside his bedroom. I haven't been totally heartless, I have reminded me that he needs to do it! :lol:

I havent been able to do any physical decluttering but I have managed to get several things organized. Iv now worked out how to re-organize my family history notes, and have began to do that. I have also started to collect my delivery notes from the shopping, so I can work out how much we order, when we order for a year. Its a shame that the shops themselves dont allow you to have one sheet showing purchases and how much you brought in a year.

Began to take down the decorations yesterday, so hope to do a bit more of that today.

Went out in 2 degree temperatures with a -2 wind chill, walking the dog, got two cold and shivery (thats with 6 layers, gloves, hat, boots and cold weather mask), so I wont be doing that again. Its going to be 3 degrees today! I will be looking out for a nice ski-ing suit next time I go in the charity shops. Snow is expected this week again.

Slowly starting to build back up from the months we had to live on our preps. I'm back to one open and one in reserve, instead of just one open. A long, long way to go yet, but I've started again. Some things I had plenty of and still do, but a great deal was used up.

Thank heavens DD is breastfeeding, it takes most of their money just to keep that kid in diapers and wipes! (I mentioned cloth, but didn't get a good reception.) :)

Do you think you can ghetto rig up something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Diaper-Sprayer-Cloth...t/dp/B000E4OSXW

Here is a DIY tutorial: http://gidgetgoeshome.com/2008/08/25/diy-t...diaper-sprayer/

Edited by GirlNextDoor

I bought stuff to make bread and as soon as I figure out this darn proofing box I am making I will make my bread instead of buying it. I also bought a 7 quart crock pot and will make double meals in it so we can freeze half.

Did my major rotation yesterday. Went through my long term larder, did inventory and moved any canned goods that expire this coming year to the kitchen pantry. Made a list of what I'm running low on. Made mental notes of the products we are not eating much of anymore, how our eating habits have changed this past year etc.

Going through the seed catalogs today and doing some expansion of garden area.

Been really busy so sorry for lack of an update.

Dads in hospital again, his had another foot operation with what sounds like some complications. Hope to find out more tomorrow or on Sunday when I can visit. His in the warm, away from the snow thats all good.

Got to the Drs today for loads of blood tests, back there next Friday for results.

Been doing all the housework, with little help from younger brother, and older brother is uncontactable as usual. The dogs been a gawd send giving cuddles and lots of love and fun.

Its quite hard doing all the housework, I do most of it anyhow, but that little extra seems to through me out of sorts, plus my health of course. Iv been getting the dailies done, but the other stuff still seems to be getting put to the side.

Now Im trying to do a bit standing up, and then finding stuff to do sitting down, so it all gets done.

Got all the washing done at last, just mountains of ironing to do.

Hope to start a spring clean, as then I will feel happier if we have any visitors snooping around. One relative finds it fun to tell me about all the places Iv missed when he visits.

Since we are having lots of snow, I am very glad we have so many preps in. I also realise we have a lot to get.

Dh has finished the bathroom in our basment this week which will be very handy come tornado season. Next he is going to be working on a storage cabinet /laundry center for the laundry room. This will be great because it will help me keep things in the Laundry room clean and organized and give me more space to store things.

This is the year of list making for our family.

I have started doing a whole house inventory. I have been very bad in the past about not keeping good records on what I have and still need. While doing this we are getting rid of things so my goal is to go thru one room a week. So far I have the kitchen and bathrooms done.

I have also made lists to put in our ghb of what we need to do if we are in town when something big would happen. I have made them as detailed as possible because I figure in an emergency situation we may not be clear minded enought to think of things if it isn't detailed. It would be great if something happens that dh could just come straight home but, in reality we aren't prepared enough for that especially when it comes to dd meds.

I have also got the garden planned and the list of things that we need to buy for the garden as well as fruit and nut trees that we want to plant this year. Now to come up with a way to pay for it all.lol

i continue to organize and make my lists ... what we have, what we need. We're setting our goals for the year: spiritial, physical, financial, preparation etc.; DH just had all four wisdom teeth extracted and is recovering from that ... part of our "get healthy now" goal!! We each have appointments to make with a GP for check-up and eye doctor for new glasses. Making plans to put our lovely Christmas gifts to good use. Staying warm!! Planning the garden!!

Our new Katadyn water filter arrived, so we can filter 13,000 gallons before we need a new cartridge. That helps alot, we live across the street from a lake and 4 miles from the Sound, so I think water is taken care of. I got a pressure canner for the holidays and now that the house guests are gone, I plan to give it a try. Right now I am soaking beans to can tomorrow. I have also decided to start dehydrating more veggies. I have a load of celery in right now, then I will vacuum pack them with an oxygen absorber.Oh, and I received a gift certificate for 3 fruit trees for the holidays, planted for me, and I am adding 2 more so at the end of the month I will be getting 2 apple, 2 pear and a golden plum tree. They are only 3 year old trees though so it will be awhile before they are giving any fruit, but every little bit helps right? And in the future, they will really contribute to our food supply. (I also have 10 blueberry bushes already, young, but giving a few handfulls of fruit each summer)

Today I found a belt and needles for an old treadle Singer sewing machine. Now I am going to oil it and get it ready to use just in case I need it. I have started dehydrating vegetables, today okra--tomorrow spinach. I am trying to reorganize my storage space.

Dad will hopefully be coming out some time this week, though they may keep him in due to the cold and snow.

Did some lentils and frooze them, a little tip I got from the Dr, I didn't know you could. Iv also found a Flapjack recipe to cook today.

Been doing well with the cooking, Dad usually does it and I dont get a chance. Today, Im going to be a doing a lamb chop roast with potatoes and the works.

Tided the pantry savoury shelf, and re-instated the pantry shopping list (just a pad on the door so anything that gets used goes down on there).

Cleaning a lot, the washing is never ending. Got lots of my ironing done, but that never seems to stop either. I obviously need to put a daily practice into place for it.

Got all my stuff into my new Filofax, and have ordered one from Ebay for the family tree stuff, so I can just take it with me to go to the records office etc.

Got 100 denier tights and tried them today. They do have a tendency to hold one in, which is a bind my stomach doesnt like anything snug, but Im sure I will get used to it. If they are Ok I'm gonna get several pairs as they are warm (from Ebay ofcourse).

Working on finding the best de-stressing practices for me. Iv used spiritual prayer which worked really well, actually so well that I didnt have to do it again yet and that was two days ago. Iv got a list of about 15 things to try over the coming weeks.

Get my blood test results on Friday, so thats a small trip out. Iv lost more weight, down to 9st (126 Ib) now, so its still going down. Hopefully it is something easily rectified. I have been very busy with the housework, so its probably that for the last few IBs. The only problem is that I have to get some smaller clothes, all mine are size 14 (US size 12), so Im raiding Ebay for some other stuff. Hopefully I can put the weight back on and not have to get another complete new wardrobe of clothes.

In the Uk, on the BBC (so not available to a lot of you) we have a new series of Survivors that starts tonight (Tuesday) at 9pm. Its based on the 1970s series which is apparently available on You Tube. Its about a group of people that survive a flu like epidemic.

Edited by Purdy Bear

PS: Dad came out of hospital yesterday - mid afternoon, so back to being run ragged. I need to learn to be the tortoise instead of the hare!

PS: Dad came out of hospital yesterday - mid afternoon, so back to being run ragged. I need to learn to be the tortoise instead of the hare!

purdy bear, God will bless you for your work. My prayers are with you!!

Today I found a belt and needles for an old treadle Singer sewing machine. Now I am going to oil it and get it ready to use just in case I need it. I have started dehydrating vegetables, today okra--tomorrow spinach. I am trying to reorganize my storage space.

Awesome work MBH!! Let us know how that old Sinder works. My DD has inherited an old Singer (electric) from her MIL!! She's thrilled!! They have at least one more floating around in the family that she has her eye on ... to save ... not to take from someone who will use it!! But no treadles yet!! We have that to look forward to. Post something you sew on it and let us know how it goes, if you get a chance!!

Been kind of hard to do much around my place. Dear Hubby lost a few days of work b/f Christmas, and had to use my Christmas Club money to pay bills. Really thought he was fixing to lose his job he has been working at for the last 28 years, but just got moved to another(smaller) boat. They laid off 60 men (but rehired more ..go figure), but he still has his job, Thank you Jesus!

Anyway we got through Christmas, then after the New Year I went and spent several dollars on groceries, b/c we are very leary of his workplace. Things are weird out there, didn't get our Christmas bonus no end of the year bonus so things are really slow.

Things I bought during this week: 4 - 6lb. cans veg-all, 3 cases tomato sauce(72 cans), 12 cans tomato paste, 4 cans cornbeef, 12 cans rotel tomatoes, 12 cans corn, 14 lbs rice, 10 lbs assorted beans, 10 lbs cornmeal mix, 2 jars pickles, 4 boxes lipton soup mix, 6 32-loads laundry soap, 4 bottles dish detergent, & 2 cases water and sure there is more just can't think of it right now. Had ran out of all of this and now am replacing as I can.

Plus started my dieting & walking again so to get blood work done in a few weeks to determain if need meds changed. So really want to get my health back in order so I don't have to get it changed.

yesterday while doing food shopping at the local fred meyers, I picked up a fire starter stick and also after watching one of the survival shows on the history channel, I had to pick up some steel wool and a 9-volt. (When we got home, the whole family "did the science experiment" of starting a fire with the steel wool and battery. It was really cool.....

Oh and DH finally said he is in a survival "mood" and that we should start buying something everytime we go to the store for the preps... I'm soooo happy!

Three kinda big things for me in the past week:

Finished getting the seeds for my personally planned seed bank-- anything I get now is a happy extra! Feel so good to have this done. Will be starting some of these in the next few weeks. . .

Found an All American 921 Pressure Canner on Craigslist for a bit of a bargain, so got that for my pressure canner.

Went with Dad to an NRA Basic Pistol Course (I went to the Basic Rifle last spring), so have basic qualifications for the handgun.

Today I'm going to the dentist for another appointment of "catching up on the dental work." joy! /sarc.

lol.

I noticed at Home Depot that they have paint cans, but they are painted gray inside. Could you store dehyrated food in them. Right now. I am using freezer bags with oxygen packets in them. Is that ok?

They aren't food grade, so unless you are storing totally sealed items in them I would not recommend it.

Regular freezer bags are still air porous so I don't know how long oxygen packets would work. You need either Mylar or FoodSaver style bags that are 3-4 mils of food grade plastic.

This week, I have retated out seeds by age, so as to make sure there is no aging or waste of garden seeds. Iv'e replace things I am missing by exchanging heirloom and open pollinated seeds with other gardeners, great way to save money, raise your seeds and exchange with others.

I planned out the gardens, planning the rows and areas to add other gardens, such as berry gardens and herb gardens.

My husband has really gotten on board with serious budgeting and using creatively what we all ready have, I am so proud of him. We have been working diligently to keep each other positive in this nightmare economy. I will be working a second job part time to help out more financially. Working 12 hour shifts on my regular job allows me more freedom to work a second job, so that's a positive thing.

I have an automatic timer hooked up to the outdoor garden hoses so the garden gets watered when I can't be home to do it. I plan on mulching heavily with yard grass and old chicken straw so I won't need to weed the garden as much.

We are working on organizing as much as possible, so we have precious extra time for gardening, canning and seed saving.

Well this week has been kind of slow, but today I did get a couple "Emergency Dental Kits" from Walgreens. My family has definitely got some dental isues so I thought that the kits would be good to have in our emergency pack. I am also aiming to get 2-3 meals a week out of beans and lentils into the family rotation so that they are used to it. For myself, it would be no problem to eat beans daily, but my family is for the most part made up of extreme carnivores, so I figure starting slowly with 2-3 bean meals a week and then in a couple of months maybe up it a few more meals...