Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 42

added:

25 pounds of brown rice

4 pounds pecan halves

1 case of tomato soup

did some garden planning with DH

identified some gaps in food storage and am making a list

Culled four more drakes for the freezer. Ordered a long handled ratcheting limb lopper to clear some more of the mesquite from the yard. I've already worn out 3 sets of loppers.

We finally are getting some warmer temps this week. The day after Valentines I planted a short row of lettuce seeds and a short row of English peas. Then this weekend we planted short rows (3 feet long) of 3 kinds of lettuce, 3 kinds of spinach, 2 kinds of chard, plus kale and various types of onion family - shallots, multiplying, 1015s, and regular and elephant garlic. Need to start pepper and tomato seeds next.

At least the wind has settled down from the 40 mph with gusts of 70 we had yesterday.

Dora

middle of the Texas Panhandle

Placed my order for meat chickens today. Also taking all the cooked down veggies used in the most recent batch of veggie broth and will run them through my food processor to puree them all. Then I'll divy that out into small baggies and freeze to add to soups and stews to thincken them up.

Finally got a storage building today. We got the garage cleaned out , sorted and started filling up the new storage. I thought that we were doing better with our preparation until we moved the some of the preps. Now it makes me a little concerned.:shrug: Now for a good hot bath.:bathbaby: Ah, now I feel better.

Added:

20 cans of tuna. Found a 2/$1 deal!

A few premixed gluten free bread mixes (we are gluten free)

15 lbs of brown rice flour

3 boxes GF granola bars for the 3 year old

6 boxes Gf cereal

15 pints of shelf stable soy milk

Picking up Saturday:

20 (maybe more) cans of beans

20 cans tomatoes

8 lbs sugar

10 lbs of ground turkey (for DH...I'm vegan)

Most of my prepping is food since we are on a very limited budget. I'm hoping to start prepping fuel and ammo more this month.

Canning meat this morning. Turkey, goat kid, and duck. I've got 7 qts filled and have enough to fill 7 more. Just have to shift my 10 gallon pot off the stove so the canner will fit. I've been cooking bones for broth. I'll can the broth when it is done too. Guess I'll have to go plunder the storage trailer for jars.

I finally talked to a friend in the deli at work and got 4 frosting buckets. She said that they will save them for me and to check back soon. :) I also just ordered 5 gamma lids. Last week I got 30 lbs of corn meal and 50 lbs of bread flour. This week I am putting an order in at the co-op for 50 lbs of rolled oats (on sale). Yesterday I got 48 cans (two cases) of tuna on sale 2/$1. It's on sale this week, too. I might pick up some more. I feel like I accomplished a lot this week. I am still planning on going through my cabinets and moving some stuff over to my parents. They have a closet in the basement that I use for food preps. A lot more room over there than in my trailer!

I practiced my bread baking skills today and tried to make hamburger buns for the first time. I haven'[t tried them, but the kids ate them like rolls and liked them. Stashed 4 cases of long term storage food under DD's bed without her knowledge. :grinning-smiley-044: That keeps her from stuffing junk under there and forgetting about it.

I finally have something significant enough (in my eyes) to report.

Yesterday I inventoried my Fire Arms, ammunition, reloading supplies and organized them by categories. My back is aching! Thankfully my boys did all the heavy lifting.

I found two categories that need to be added to and felt happy with most of what I found. Hoping to have a cleaning and inspection of the firearms themselves this weekend. I wanted so badly to do some target practice but, rain , lots of rain is on the way. So, that will have to wait until maybe Monday?? Hopefully?

Ordered new gasket for the pressure canner DH found for me, and I'm looking for the info I found somewhere on what to do when the dial gauge is missing and you have only a weight jiggler to replace it. I loathe canning. But I don't see a lot of viable options.

Made 4 packets of dried chili beans (kidney, red, and pinto)

Ordered (and shipped today) from Amazon: Carrots Love Tomatoes; The Winter Harvest Handbook; Seed to Seed; & I Can't Believe I'm Loom Knitting.

Made 10 half pints of grape jelly .

Cleaned out part of my dresser. Able to empty one out, will use to keep extra packs of socks for everyone. Hoping to do a little more today and make some additional space.

Talked to my parents about doing some long term storage. Dad doesn't see the need and thinks it's all rumors. Mom is more willing but home bound so I offered to do some of it for her just to make sure they are alright.

Sis tried my canned green beans and liked them. She made the comment that they only eat frozen because they don't like the taste of canned so I let her try them along with homegrown and canned carrots. Hopefully, this will give her a little interest in canning a little. (I can hope).

Feel like I put some bubblegum in the holes in the dam. LOL:laughkick:

After we got storage building and got alot out of garage, now I finally have a work station in garage. I worked on it for two days trying to get it organized. Any volunteers? LO--- that is work. I can dehydrate there (all for my DH) all I want with no smell in the house. Next, project is to find a good used electric stove to put in there so I can can out there.:eclipsee_Victoria:

Another Friday night so we did the usual shopping circuit.

We started out at Borders because the local one is closing.. I got lots of books but only one was prep related. It was a book about how to can in the microwave... (Something tells me that Violet isn't going to like that one!) I didn't have much time to flip through it because my armes were already loaded down. From the little bit that I saw, it looked as though it was only for high acid foods and not for low acid foods. It was already a bargain book so I paid about $1.50 for it.

Then we went to Sav A Lot where we bought 4 bottles of Ocean Spray Cran Juice, 9 bags of frozen veggies, a box of powdered milk, 5 boxes of Jennie O turkey sausage links, 2 bottles of lemon juice, 8 - 8 oz bricks of cheese, 2 jars of pickles, 2 large tubs of oatmeal, 10 boxes of pasta and 2 boxes of rice. Oh, we also got a few snacks that were not on the shopping list. Our total was $94, after using the $5 off coupon available on their website.

Then it was on to Ollie's Bargain Outlet where we bought 6 boxes of cereal, 2 - 20ct boxes of fiber plus bars, 5 jars of Heinz Dill pickles, 6 more cartons of shelf stable Silk soy milk and a few other things that were not part of storage.

Last was Dollar Tree where we stocked up on 40 packs of Extra Polar Ice Gum (shamelessly addicted), fish oil, glucosamine, aspirin and aluminum foil.

Tomorrow, we go to the regular grocery stores...

This morning, we went to two of the three local grocery chains.

At Wegmans, I mostly bought some regular groceries. In fact, the only thing that we purchased for storage there was a tube of toothpaste. I couldn't leave free toothpaste in the store.

At Price Chopper, we bought a couple of markdown cans of organic pears in pear juice, 5 boxes of grits, 3 bottles of hot sauce, free strawberries, a few personal products, free deodorant, one pound of butter for $1.99/lb (Limit of 1) two boxes of cereal and 3 rice milk drink boxes.

Clothes shopping for DH. I consider this a prep with cotton prices rising and gas prices rising. We went to the VF store at an outlet mall and did very well! In the past year and a half, DH has lost 70 lbs. (I'm very proud of him!). Last summer he went down a pant size and now he's dropped another. Even with a belt, his pants looked like clown pants on him (WAY too big), so we've slowly been replacing them.

We got him for just under $150

-4 pairs of Wrangler brand cargo shorts (same ones at Wal-Mart that we decided not to buy due to their radio tracking tags). The shorts were50 cents more than at Walmart, but no big deal.

-a zippered hooded sweatshirt for work

-2 belts - a nicer leather one and one for hunting that was only a few dollars

-a pair of denim camo hunting pants

-3 pairs of heavy winter socks that were discounted

-and the BEST deal-2 pairs of brush pants for $14.99/pair! He uses these for hunting and sometimes for work. We priced them at Dick's Sporting Goods last fall and they wanted around $45 (and it's the same brand). We just couldn't afford that. I'm so glad we found these today!!

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

Nice buys, out_of_the_ordinary! By reading the posts of others, it seems as though there are still some bargains out there, but those will likely disappear soon. Other than buying a few packages of underclothes and socks, we haven't done too much clothing-wise. Congrats to your hubby for his weight loss! That is one heck of an accomplishment!:cheer:

-4 pairs of Wrangler brand cargo shorts (same ones at Wal-Mart that we decided not to buy due to their radio tracking tags). The shorts were50 cents more than at Walmart, but no big deal.

Please tell me more about these "radio tracking tags". Sounds really scary. Do I need my tin foil hat? :unsure:

Please tell me more about these "radio tracking tags". Sounds really scary. Do I need my tin foil hat? :unsure:

Yes, a tin foil hat is required but a CROCHETED tinfoil hat is the only one proven to negate the effects of those tracking tags!

Actually Walmart has been tracking their products through little tracking tags that can be traced even after you take them home. Someone could then figure out what products your househod buys right down to the size that you wear and other info. It just seems pretty invasive to most folks. Michael (Amishway Homesteader) had the right idea when he said that the tags should be removed in the Walmart parking lot and left in their trash can.

Yes, a tin foil hat is required but a CROCHETED tinfoil hat is the only one proven to negate the effects of those tracking tags!

Careful what you wish for. This link is to make newspaper yarn. Bet it could be done with tinfoil as well.

This threaddrift is brought to you from the Netherlands :grinning-smiley-044:

I would never have dreamed of spinning newspaper! LOL

I just ordered 20# of tepary beans for seed stock. Hope I can get them in the ground this season.

I ordered clothes from various eBay sellers. The good news is that everything arrived in great condition, fast, and exactly as described. The bad news is, everything is too big. The other good news is, everything is too big!

:cheeky-smiley-067: Yes, I know how to adjust a waistband. I'm just too lazy to want to do it. :misc-smiley-231:

We are planning out trips to minimize gas usage. Wal-Mart, the Social Security building, and the driver's license place are all out in the same direction with the used game store. So everyone who has business in that direction piles in the car and we go. This is why we keep notebooks, pens, and paperbacks in the car.

Got a little windfall and ordered cans of cornmeal, flour, onions, carrots, milk, butter, oat groats, and other things that I historically have trouble storing in good shape. Also refilled a couple of the pasta and rice buckets that had been raided for daily grocery use. Found a lovely sale on chutney, and cleaned out the shelf.

Edited by Ambergris

Spinning Newspaper!!! Wow!!! I'll have to share that with my Sewing Bee! Good Find Christy!!

I don't know if I'll try it...but, it's good to see things like this and keep us thinking out of the box. The day may soon come when we are required to "make do or do without".