MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 42

Haven't check in for a while, but I guess I'm past my stocking up phase and am just replacing what I use now and working on new skills.

Received the last of the seeds for this years garden (upgraded to urban homestead now!)

Picked up a sharpening stone

Found a really cheap spinning wheel and fixed and cleaned it up

Started a worm compost bin

Got some space blankets and experimenting with them on the windows. I read that they would stay on from static cling if you wet the window with water first. So that is what I did. First attempt doesn't look great, but after I see whether or not it is going to work, I can redo it with some fresh material. Hoping it keeps the house cooler this summer.

I taped space blankets in full sheets in the upper part of the windows in dd's rooms last year and it really seemed to help keep them cooler. The only problem I have had is that they make a crackling noise when the wind blows hard with our 100 year old windows and it wakes up the girls. I have 12 individual window panes per window and that would take forever to cut each pane for 3 sets of windows to 'wet and cling'..... :0327:

I finally found 55 gallon barrels locally..saw one in the back of a truck at church. Dh asked them about it and they will be delivering me a couple of them for only $15 each already cleaned (they had tomatos in them)...YEAH!!

We also had long needed work done to our house in the last couple of weeks....I am SO glad to have the contractors out of my house. We had several walls/windows replaced and repaired, some desperately needed plumbing work and are now ready for some floors to be done and we will be finished....hopefully...lol

We have had to wait on these things because we had to redo our foundation a few months back...it always seems to be something :wacko:

Just thankful that we have the house and have been able to get some things done.

Blessings,

BB

I added: potassium iodide tablets, some MREs for my BOB, and #10 cans of whole eggs, instant mashed potatoes, hash brown potatoes, and shredded mozzarella cheese.

Almost forgot. CVS had an extra bucks deal on Excedrin Migraine, so I got 200 tablets - in bottles of 50.

Tiger, Excedrin Migaine has a shortish shelf life. Some of mine that is not even out of date already smells of vinegar. This means the Tylenol component and the caffeine content are undamaged, but the aspirin content is breaking down to harmless but not-useful compounds. It lasts even less time if ever left in the car or a hot area. You would do well to put this in the "use now" area and get the extremely long-lived simple acetaminphen or acetaminophen/caffeine compounds for storage.

Tiger, Excedrin Migaine has a shortish shelf life. Some of mine that is not even out of date already smells of vinegar. This means the Tylenol component and the caffeine content are undamaged, but the aspirin content is breaking down to harmless but not-useful compounds. It lasts even less time if ever left in the car or a hot area. You would do well to put this in the "use now" area and get the extremely long-lived simple acetaminphen or acetaminophen/caffeine compounds for storage.

Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't aware of that. I'll probably use most of it up in a year anyway (since I get both migraines and tension headaches) and will plan on getting acetaminophen and caffeine for storage.

Do you think putting some of the bottles in the freezer will help with the shelf life? I usually store some in my purse, my dark and cool closet, and in my desk drawer at work.

We got rid of the cable a few weeks ago due to monthly cost, since then I have read at least 4 books on survival and gardening! What a great use of my time. :D

Been to workshops and gathering to hone a few skills.

Learned twine binding with plantmaterials, to make hats, knife sheats, baskets, temporary roof etc.

Also learned naalbinding, the only way to "knit" before knitting was invented.

Learned that we cannot live from what's in the kitchencupboard alone. The hunger for fresh vegetables and lack of flour for bread made us cheat.

There is only so much you can make of cake flour that doesn't wear thin after a while. Valuable lesson what the unprepared people will encounter once things go pearshaped.

Had new insulation sprayed under the floor. What a difference! The house is much more comfortable. This should help keep the utility bill under control too.

Hey CGA, what kind of insulation is this? cos the retreat is cold as anything and needs some form of insulation. I was thinking pineneedles under the floor or scrumpled newspaper as it is very dry ground.

Would love to hear about good affordable insulation.

It's the high tech spray on stuff. Couple of guys with a machine crawled under the house and did it. Not really cheap.

Paper or cardboard is good insulation. How is your floor built? Do you have a crawl space?

No real crawl space. Woodworm has gotten into what will be the weaving and craftroom. So that floor will have to be replaced and it'll be easy to place crumpled newspaper in every nook and cranny. Plus some mouse poison in case they get the idea to use it as nesting material.

It's pinewoods around and dry sand below the floor.

So I may send the summer gathering pineneedles and newspaper to insulate the floors.

Intend to spend the next winter there and would not make it without insulation.

I'm currently looking for a dog. I'd not do it for company alone with the price of dogfood and vet's bills as they are now. But definitely for security purposes.

Found a total Black Alsatian again and am probably going to get him. The last one was a present from above, such a good, protective and caring dog he was.

Most people fear black dogs and fear Alsatians. Kids used to think my beloved former dog was a wolf.

He was friendly but looked scary.

It'll keep any intruder well out of the way when they see a dog like that around the house.

Do you think putting some of the bottles in the freezer will help with the shelf life? I usually store some in my purse, my dark and cool closet, and in my desk drawer at work.

Yes, that would make a major difference.

I'm looking for a big dog, a baby male puppy preferably, from a non-hunting breed. It's been over a year now since my wonderful Jake died, and nearly a year since my beautiful white shepherd Shiloh died. I miss them terribly. The house is just so empty.

I have Great Pyrs. Wonderful dogs, but like people and rarely meet a stranger. They guard my livestock though.

Pine needles would be better than newspaper for insulating. If kept dry they won't break down too fast. Even better would be rice or wheat straw if you make sure there are no grains left to attract mice. Dust borax liberally into the straw to prevent insects and retard any fire.

Papercrete might be another option, but probably more work.

We had a Giant Schnauzer growing up & DH's parent's still have the standard schnauzer the boys had from their teen years. They are great family dogs and great protectors. DH is ready to get a giant for a pet & security. Ours was a 115 lb dog that was afraid of storms but my sisters and I would use him as a pillow to watch tv. My dad came into the house one night unannounced after removing snow from the driveway in his old army coat and a ski mask. The dog went diving down the stairs to the door growling and teeth bared. My dad yelled the dogs name and he stopped in mid-air literally. They are expensive though. Good luck in your decision.

our boxer is a wonderful watch dog--she is VERY protective!!! I can't even take her to the vet--ds has too--because she tries to protect me from him--she took three bad snake bites trying to get between me and a snake i was trying to kill (almost lost her)--she always puts herself between us and the problem. doorbell rings--she jumps into my lap and stands there until she sees who it is..wonderful dogs!!!

picked up 2 mini Maglights at Sam's. Subscribed to The Preparedness Podcast and downloaded some of the past podcasts to my iPod to listen to while at work. Spent some time on the Internet looking for recipes to use cheese powder. Let me know if you have any.

Worked on decluttering and sorting stuff. Found a bunch of stuff I forgot about. It appears that I may be obsessed with pocket knives. :huh:

Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't aware of that. I'll probably use most of it up in a year anyway (since I get both migraines and tension headaches) and will plan on getting acetaminophen and caffeine for storage.

Liltiger~

Have you tried Co-Q 10? I have gotten headaches all my life, migraines/rebounds/clusters, you name it. My neurologist has me on 200 MG Co-Q 10 twice a day and the headaches have virtually disappeared. It takes about a month to build up in your system, but I am now down to maybe 2 migraines a year from 2-3 a week. I am loving it. I buy the ricebran based stuff rather than the soy oil based one and I buy a year supply at a time to get a volume discount. I love the stuff.

ALso 1tsp of cayenne pepper in a shot glass of cold water will do wonders and take away a migrain in 5 minutes flat!

As for prepping. I am maming soap tonight and much to MIL's dismay I am planning an above ground garden box out od some old wood laying around that we can build tomorrow.

Got the milk stand up nearer the house and a stout pen around it so I can milkwith only ONE goat on the stand at a time. The goats have a new run in shelter near the house now. Have new shelves in some of the kitchen cupboards and my pantry reorganized.

Been going throught sites online and putting together a recipe book with simple inexpensive recipes and planning on the garden I'll plant to use in these recipes.

It's been a week of real change in my life and I have learned over the years to embrace change and role with it.

Putting flammable Pine straw under your home is dangerous. It is some of the best kindling you can find. Scrounge some plain cardboard boxes and cut several layers to fit between your joists. Just tack them in place to secure them to your floor. Put in some panels around underneath your home of Vinyl siding, tin, etc to keep wind out and you will see a tremendous difference in the floor warmth. Trapping that air underneath will drastically slow heat loss and in case of fire will keep the flames from sweeping under neath your home. Insulation contractors often throw away perfectly good used insulation. Talk with them and I bet you could get a pick up load very often.

Liltiger~

Have you tried Co-Q 10? I have gotten headaches all my life, migraines/rebounds/clusters, you name it. My neurologist has me on 200 MG Co-Q 10 twice a day and the headaches have virtually disappeared. It takes about a month to build up in your system, but I am now down to maybe 2 migraines a year from 2-3 a week. I am loving it. I buy the ricebran based stuff rather than the soy oil based one and I buy a year supply at a time to get a volume discount. I love the stuff.

Nini,

No I hadn't tried it, but thanks for mentioned it. i googled it and the research looks pretty good, so I picked up a couple of bottles of the softgels to try it. Goodness gracious, but that stuff is expensive. Luckily CVS had it BOGO.

I also had a free coupon for Excedrin up to $5.39 so I added 2 more small bottles (2 for $5 so I got both for free).

Then I did my quarterly Walmart run and stocked up on thigh-hi, socks (black and white), motor oil, and a couple more boxes of ammo. Can't have too many pairs of dry, clean socks!

Just got "Nourishing Traditions" and I'm going to see what I can do to improve our diets some more.

Fireants built a nest in the motor of my skil saw, so I had to get a new one. Local hardware had it on special 33% off and they had a cordless jigsaw at 66% off so I got both.

Got the milk stand moved up next to the house again. (We moved the house so the stand wasn't close any more.) Made a pen around the stand so only one goat at a time could be on it. Then made a corral so I can control which goat gets a turn. Took the new kids to get disbudded today.

Also got a new electric grain mill for daughter's diet. I got a Vital Mill for $129 and free shipping from Pleasant Hill. It seems well made and is doing really great.

Fireants built a nest in the motor of my skil saw....
A vision of turning on the power briefly crossed my mind. Thinking of those fire ants in that moment brought a smile to my face.

Hi, I am new.

This week we tilled our garden, put in four blueberry bushes and started the peas. We also stocked up on sugar, beans and rice. We hit the jackpot at the grocery store and they were having a meat sale. Filled my freezer with chicken, beef and pork. :) I feel better, but not done by far!

Susie