MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I discovered parsnips!!

Last week I bought some parsnips at my natural foods co-op. I had never tried them before and decided to "go for it."

I cubed one up and put it in a casserole dish along with some cubed sweet potatoes and chopped onions from my garden. I drizzled with olive oil and roasted them in the oven. The only seasoning they needed was salt and pepper.

It was delicious!!

Over Thanksgiving weekend, while feasting at my in-laws, I dreamed about getting back home so I could make more. It was that good!

What other yummy ways do you prepare parsnips?

We LOVE Parsnips! Whenever I cook a ham dinner I throw them in the bottom of the roaster with all my other vegetables...cabbage, potatoes, carrots, onions, parsnips...and brocoli. The brocoli takes on such an awesome flavor! My favorite way of eating brocoli...oh, but this was about Parsnips...yes, we love our Parsnips, too! They come out so sweet, almost like a cross between a carrot and a sweet potato! Yum, Yum!

I've heard that they are bitter...until they have been frozen in the ground. They can stay in the ground all winter if need be.

25 years ago i had them for the first time. Was working home-care at that time and the clients wanted some for their dinner. My initial reaction while cooking them was along the line of..'How can they eat something that smells so bad !' They insisted i try some...and they were absolutely delisious ! Learn something every day, i guess.

I discovered them about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, DH hates them with a passion. We have a local restaurant that serves them on their blueplate mixed with rutabagas. We go there once in a while, so when we do I always order them.

I am so glad this topic came up. I bought parsnips, rhutabaga and onion to roast under the turkey (then it really adds to the flavor of the gravy) but forgot to use them. These will turn up as a side this week. I love rhutabaga cooked and then mashed with potatoes. It gives them a rich flavor and color (buttery).

From what I've read, parsnips are a close relative of carrots. In fact, I believe they were what people had before the intense orange colors were bred into them. After the orange ones caught on, the plain parsnips were abandoned as people food and mainly used for livestock.

They taste sweet, like a carrot, but have a very mild flavor. Not strong like carrots. If you dig them before the winter, they will be bitter. If anybody has tried them in the past but hated them, they should consider giving them another chance with ones that have been dug in the winter or early spring. Be careful with grocery store parsnips right now. They may have been sitting there quite a while and were probably dug before they were able to sweeten up.

Go ahead, give them another try! You may discover your favorite vegetable you never knew.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived