MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Puppy Woes

Collette

My 5 month old puppy is starting to exhibit signs of an ear infection. Cannot afford a vet. I do have some human anti-biotics (tetracycline) that I can break apart and give a little to the dog, and I have some Colloidal Silver.

Don't know if any of these are good for her or not, so I'm seeking your help!

Thank you!

First, try smelling his ear to see if you can determine if might be a yeast infection. Check for discharge. Is it brown or black and smelly?

Then, as long as you are pretty sure that the ear drug has not burst, try a vinegar/water rinse several times a day. Just use half white vinegar/half water.

First, try smelling his ear to see if you can determine if might be a yeast infection. Check for discharge. Is it brown or black and smelly?

Then, as long as you are pretty sure that the ear drug has not burst, try a vinegar/water rinse several times a day. Just use half white vinegar/half water.

I will second this but don't do a wash/rinse on a new puppy (just my personal experience...too much water in the ear can lead to further problems). Do a simple swipe through the ear with a cotton ball using white or Apple Cider Vinegar a couple times a day. After a day or two, if you don't notice any improvement in the smell or discharge, seek veterinary help.

Hope your puppy gets relief soon!

I don't smell anything, nor see any discharge. She is shaking her head and scratching at her ears. When I had shephards, that was a sign for infection for them.

Funny thing is, she ONLY does it at night. She seems to be fine in the day.

I'll try the oils ~thanks guys!

Shaking and scratching might mean much less than an infection--a flea tickling in there will do it!

Also, look whether hair has grown down into the ear and gotten matted. We once had a poodle/spaniel cross who needed to have the hair twisted out of his ears a couple of times a year. The process annoyed him when done on time but, if left to get impacted, was very painful. If you see hair messed in there, your nose will tell you whether removing it will hurt. If there's a smell, get someone to hold the dog's head securely. You want to make one clean motion. Grab the waxed-up matt of hair with locking pliers, as deep as you can comfortably reach, and pull with a smooth twisting motion.

If the dog's big enough to take Benadryl, that's a help.

Shaking and scratching might mean much less than an infection--a flea tickling in there will do it!

Also, look whether hair has grown down into the ear and gotten matted.

If the dog's big enough to take Benadryl, that's a help.

She doesn't have fleas (thankfully!), and no hair...she is a few pounds only - puppy chihuahua!

You have good ideas of things to look for and I appreciate the input. :D

Archived