MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

We have chickens!

Well, I finally did it. I got the hubby talked into getting chickens! We have 2 gentle roosters and 3 hens. Right now just the two black hens are still laying an egg a day and the white hen, our easter egger is not laying. She decided to take the winter off lol. The roosters are Roo and Jr. The black hens are Thelma and Louise and the white hen is Whitey, named after a friend of ours who acts like a chicken LOL. I love having them and it's our first time too. They just now are getting used to me after a month. Roo likes to eat out of my hand and he is very careful about it. He turns his head from one side to the other first, like as if to say "Is this really okay?" before taking a bite lol. The girls come stand on my shoes when they want fed.

We have to keep ours caged up, but it's in a 6x12 foot pen which is mostly covered. I posted some pictures here of them http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?au...um&album=70 There's one of the hubby and his friend that helped us build the coop too. I am just way happy to finally have our chickens! Now hubby is really jazzed up about this, the man who wouldn't even help in the garden 5 years ago lol. Now he tills, weed, plants, etc. and he's raising chickens too! He says next spring that he and the neighbor guys are going together to get GOATS~ I have created a farming frankenstien!! LOL

Q

I'm so happy for you!

I love my ladies so much, I hope you will too.

-

Two roosters and three hens is one too many roosters though. You might have trouble down the line with them either fighting, or the hens being 'used' too much.

I'm so happy for you!

I love my ladies so much, I hope you will too.

-

Two roosters and three hens is one too many roosters though. You might have trouble down the line with them either fighting, or the hens being 'used' too much.

Yeah we were wondering about that too, so the plan is to add 6 more hens this spring to the flock. Hubby's idea lol.

Q

I'll bet it was all that play-acting in Wagons Ho that inspired him of the chicken's usefulness. LOL Yep, egg layers and milk producers . They are the best! If you want knee-high goats, remember the Nigerian Dwarf milking breed. Mother and I have them and with our disabilities, we love them!

Yeah, 6 more will give you a good little flock. :bounce: It's so exciting! Do ya think Annarchy will get TURKEYS now?

:laughkick:

MtRider garden, chickens...goat?....... your dh has been bitten by the 'bug'

LOL, yep he has "the bug" alright hehehe. I hope it stays too. I got him thinking about milk goats and it was a bad idea he says. But then when he and the guys start talking about doing it, then all the sudden it's a great idea! :0327::shrug::tapfoot:

Men! :frying pan:

So we will see what happens this spring lol. Look for me to be burried in chickens, goat and a garden by summer!

Q (hoping Annarchy gets her turkeys!)

Congratulations Q, your chickens are very beautiful. I like their house too.

:pc_coffee:

Do ya think Annarchy will get TURKEYS now?

:laughkick:

Q (hoping Annarchy gets her turkeys!)

:o

You both are sooo bad. :008Laughing:

My dearest has told me I can get a couple chickens, if I really want to. :whistling:

:hug3: