MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Leah

Acorn squash - keeping qualities?

I usually have acorn squash that have almost completely green rinds. This year most of them have some (or a lot of) orange on them.

Does anyone know if the orange ones will last as long as those with green rinds?

Should I use the orange ones first, just process them now, or not worry about it?

They look like this.

winter_squash2.jpg

My green acorns always turn orange in storage. I don't know why though.

Acorns are the shortest storing winter squashes so you should eat them before your other varieties.

I usually cook up about a dozen of whatever squash I have (I like to use acorn, butternut and buttercup) I cut them in half, scoop out the seeds and bake them in a large covered roaster pan with a little water in the bottom to prevent them from burning. Bake until soft, remove from oven and let cool. Then scoop out all the squash and add a little butter and brown sugar to taste and run it thru a food mill to get a uniformally smooth product. Then I pack it in wide mouth pint jars leaving about a 1/2 inch head space and freeze them. I like this better than canning the squash or storing the squash fresh in the cellar because you spend one afternoon to put up a whole years worth of squash and all you have to do is heat and eat. If you can it you have to can cubed squash (pureed is too dense to can) and if you store the squash you end up baking and preparing squash every time you want it, doing it that way I found I didn't use up my squash because it was too much bother to take the time to cook up the squash for a quick meal. Having it frozen we eat it much more often.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.