MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

New Life in the Ozarks

jeanettecentaur

Hi everyone!

Just popping in to catch a breath and share all my good news... :happy0203:

In a nutshell:

1. Passed my NCLEX-RN in Texas.

2. Accepted a Critical Care position in the Ozarks.

3. Moved up to the Ozarks of NW Arkansas, and WOW is it gorgeous!

4. Applied for my Compact Nursing License and have received my 6 month Temp RN License...evidently things move REALLY SLOWLY around here, so I paid a little extra for the Temp License just in case my 30 grace period Compact License from TX ran out before Arkansas issued my new RN license here. :girlneener:

5. The pay is decent, the Benefits Package RAWKS!!! I have NEVER had any type of medical/dental insurance...I just heal myself, unless I need the occasional antibiotic...which is rare for me. I have been praying and praying that God would keep me healthy until I got done w/ school, and finally had the ability to pay for anything that might pop up...LOL...wouldn't you know, last night I finally caught a cold....after my 1st week of training in CCU.... :fever: ... and I don't mind it one bit! Because God totally had/has my back...and I am off until Monday, so I can recover...

6. DBF is 2 hours away from me, and staying temporarily w/ his parents...so I will be driving back and forth to visit. Not sure how this is going to work for the long term, but he does like his job, even though he's making 1/2 the pay for the same work back in Austin, TX. Around here, people are pretty grateful to have jobs...they don't come easy...and he really walked into his, like I did.

7. The coolest thing is working 2 days, then off 3 days, working 1 day, then off 2 or 3 days...occasionally working 3 WHOLE DAYS IN A ROW, then off 4 days...the schedule is awesome! Never a long workweek, and always a long weekend coming up. Of course 12 or more hour shifts do take their toll on my legs/feet!

8. So far, the Docs call me TEX, :whistling: , and it's a smallish town of about 10,000, so everyone keeps wondering WHY I wanted to leave Austin, TX, the Music Capital of the World, for the Ozarks??? I just say: "I want cheaper land, a gorgeous view, and clean air." They don't really need to know that my education, and selection of this little part of the country is part of my "Getting Ready". Then they are doubly surprised that I don't want to live in this town, but in an even smaller community within an hour of it... :smiley_shitfan::24: ... :24:

I'm sure there's tons more...but there's your nutshell!

Now I am WAAAAAAYYYYY far behind reading the Wagon's Ho adventures...so I'm going to try to catch up today, and get to the mountain of homework that my CCU has given me...LOL...that's right, the learning never ends!

:bighug2:

Oh how nice! I do wish you all the best and hope you like working the Unit as much as I did! It's a great place, a little hectic at times, but the one on one or one on two nursing is so much nicer than having 8 or 10 patients at once. And I am sure you will do well where you moved to. It takes a strong will and a wanting to survive to live in the Ozarks. A good place for preppers!

Q

Sounds pretty perfect really. You´ve got your education, your right location and the right place to get to know all sorts of interesting people.

Excellent choice.

The Ozarks are a wonderful place to be. We moved here from the Memphis area, and there is no way we want to go back to the big city. In north central Arkansas, the beauty abounds, mostly nice weather except for last winter's ice storm of the century. We do have 4 seasons, with some pretty hot times and fairly cold times. At least we think it is cold until our northern neighbors tell us it is not cold. Many transplants live here, and most adept well to the pace of life and lower real estate taxes.

Enjoy your new life here, I am sure you will be an asset.

Congratulations!

I am an RN in central FL, and thinking seriously about making my move to NW Arkansas as well, or SW Missouri.....somewhere in that general area. I'm glad to hear you are liking it.....& hope I get to be there soon too!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived