MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Romans 9:19-21

Darlene

Heavenly Father,

I've been sensing a major attitude problem on my part, rumbling inside. It very well could be fueled by lack of sleep and an increase in responsibility of 18 unplanned puppies. I know I'm tired, I know I'm behind schedule with everything because of the demands of these new additions, but I still wonder if it's more than that. The Christmas holidays are alot of work...I have to plan and prepare to leave for a few days and then drive a long ways to be with my family in Miami. I have so much I need to do and the days just fly so I need Your help.

I knew as soon as I came in to do a study today that I would begin to melt, and that the chip on my shoulder would begin to fall off. It's interesting though that I found myself wanting to avoid this next study...the attitude problem, the chip on the shoulder, were and are, a defense mechanism of sorts, I guess. So, coming into Your throne room, and opening up, and sharing what I'm aware of, appears to open the door to You...Your peace, Your power, Your presence, and as I think about it, Your understanding.

I'm sitting here thinking, should I cease all the 'projects' I'm doing? No, I wouldn't know what to do with myself if that were to happen...besides I'm doing this all for a reason. Should I scale back? If so, where would I cut back...which goal would I eliminate? I can get so lost in all the things I have going on around here and that scares me because I can get so disconnected from life, and I don't think that's a good thing ultimately. So Father God, I'm in this 'all or nothing' mode at the moment, and yet I know that You are a God of balance. Please restore some balance to my life, please help me to get things organized a little bit better. I don't mind working hard Father, and You know that, but surely there's more than feeling isolated, overwhelmed and exhausted.

I'm doing the best I can, so I need Your help, Your intervention, Your peace, Your clarity, Your direction.

Help, because I just don't have the luxury to feel down for too long...that's too draining. And I sure don't want to have a temper tantrum where I just throw my hands up in the air, give up and say "whatever". You taught me several years ago that I can't do all I thought I could and that even I have a breaking point where I crash and burn.

I sit here crying, and thoughts of "what if He doesn't come when you need Him...what if His timing is later than what you're able to bear, what if, what if, what if". Geez Father God, the enemy is relentless.

I believe that You are God and I belong to You. I believe that I'm covered and cleansed with the Blood of Your Son. I believe that Your Spirit lives in my heart and my soul and is working even now. I believe I can trust You, I believe You are faithful. I believe that You will guard my heart.

And I believe that the peace that is flooding my heart at this moment, is filled with Your love, Your tenderness and Your faithfulness.

For the record Lord, it's a little embarassing to ramble in public like I just did above.

In Jesus Name I pray,

19. Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth He still find fault? For who withstandeth His will?

20. Nay, but, O man, who are thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to Him that formed it, Why didst Thou make me thus?

21. Or hath not the potter a right over the clay, from the same lump to make one part a vessel unto honor, and another unto dishonor?

The rvbv writes in regard to the 19th and 20th verse: "Paul in the Spirit forestalls the natural operations of man's proud heart. In His infinite wisdom and knowledge God reads with unerring accuracy the operations of the human heart: "Man looketh on the outward appearance, but Jehovah looketh on the heart." Man says, If I am not one of God's elect, an object of His mercy, then I cannot do right, and God should not blame me. I asked an intelligent man in western Michigan if he had believed on the Lord Jesus Christ. He burst out into loud laughing, saying, "If I am elect, I will go to heaven; and if I am not elect, there is no use in my worrying about the question!" I rebuked him sternly, with these words: "'God commandeth men that they should all everywhere repent: inasmuch as He hath appointed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He hath ordained.' 'God's commands are God's enablings,' and if you will hearken to Him, you will be saved. But you will not dare to say to God in that day, I could not come because I was not of the elect; for that will not be true! The reason you refused to come, will be found to be your love of sin, not your non-election!" God says, "Whosoever will," and the door is open to all, absolutely all. God means "Whosoever": and that is the word for you, sinner; and not election, which is God's business, not yours!

Verse 20: Nay, but, o Man, who are thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to Him that formed it, Why didst thou make me thus? Literally, this reads: "O man, yes! but rather, you! who are you, replying against God?"

Alford well says: "The words 'yea, rather,' take the ground from under the previous assertion and supersede it by another: implying that it has a certain show of truth, but that the proper view of the matter is yet to be stated. They thus convey, as in Luke 11:28, a rebuke, - here, with severity: 'That which thou hast said may be correct human reasoning, - but as against God's sovereignty, thy reasoning is out of place and irrelevant; the verse implying, Thou has neither right nor power to call God to account in this matter.' These verses are a rebuke administered to the spirit of the objection, which forgets the immeasureable distance between us and God, and the relation of Creator and Disposer in which He stands to us."

And Stifler warns: "He who replies against God must mean that it is God's hardening that deprives a soul of salvation; that if God did not interpose with an election and take some and leave others to be hardened, all men would have at least an equal opportunity of salvation. This is false. If God did not elect, none would be saved, for there is 'none that seeketh after God' (Rom. 3:11). And, men are not lost because they are hardened; they are hardened because they are lost; they are lost because they are sinners.

"God is not responsible for sin. He is under no obligation to save any one. Obligation and sovereignty cannot both be predicated of God. If He saves any one it is a sovereign act of mercy."

Shall the thing formed say to Him that formed it, Why didst thou make me thus?

Thus speaks also Jehovah by Isaiah:

"Woe unto him that striveth with His Maker! a potsherd among the potsherds of the earth!...Ye turn things upside down! Shall the potter be esteemed as clay; that the thing made should say of him that made it, He made me not; or the thing formed say of him that formed it, He hath no understanding?" (Isa. 45:9; 29:16)

In the Scriptures, those who meet God, fall into the dust. "I am but dust and ashes," said Abraham. and Job: "Mine eye seeth Thee, and I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes."

A "thing," yea, and a formed thing, owing its very being to a Creator! Have we thus considered ourselves? Our only proper creature-attitude is one of faith, not questioning. As:

"Frail creatures of dust,

And feeble as frail,

In Thee do we trust,

Nor find Thee to fail."

These are days of man-vaunting, and God-despising. But they shall soon end, and the very earth on which man's legions marched in such pride, shall flee away "before the face of Him who sits upon the Throne"! (Rev. 20:11.)"

In the 21st verse, Watchman Nee comments on the word "vessel" and writes, "This indicates that God chose us that we might be vessels of honor to contain Him. God created man as a vessel to contain Him, and out of the many vessels He chose us to contain Him, the God of honor, that we might be vessels of honor. Finally, He makes known His glory upon us, the vessels, that we might become vessels of His glory (v. 23). All this is out of His mercy and according to His mercy; it cannot be obtained by our efforts. For this reason we must worship Him, and we must worship Him for His mercy!"

The rvbv writes in regard to the 21st verse: "As concerns the right of the Divine Potter over the human clay, we need to go with Jeremiah to "the potter's house": "I went down to the potter's house, and, behold, he was making a work on the wheels. And the word of Jehovah came to me, saying, O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? Such as is the clay in the potter's hands, so are ye in my hand, O house of Israel" (Jer. 18:3-6). God called man "dust" in Eden (Gen. 2:7; 3:19). And "The nations are as a drop of a bucket and are accounted as the small dust of the balance" (Isa. 40:15). When the apothecary would weigh an article accurately, he whisks out with a breath from the balances any former dust remaining therein: and there go the nations, all, - as regard greatness before God1 Yet here is one atom of this "small dust" replying against God, saying, "What right has He to do thus with me?"

Now it will not do to answer, "God is love"; "God so loved the world." True, indeed. But God is God, and the nations are "less than nothing, and vanity," as you read in Isaiah 40:17, and in many other Scriptures. God has rights high above all our poor comprehension. We know that God will always act righteously. We are not God's judges! God has a right "from the same lump of human clay to make one part a vessel unto honor, another unto dishonor." No godly person challenges that right. Nay, godly people most reverently bow to it! "What would the ability to fashion be worth, if it were under the dictation of that which is to be fashioned?"

Heavenly Father,

As I typed out today's lesson, I felt increasingly very small. I can't say I know what to say at the moment so I just pray that Your mercy would flow over all our lives today.

In Jesus Name I pray,

I haven't posted for months Darlene, as you well know, but for some reason I felt the pull to come in here today. Why? I don't know but maybe just because you need a hug. Here's a gigantic one for you my friend.

((((dee))))

Thank you hon.