Christmas movies...

Cat

There are numerous Dickens' variations of "A Christmas Carol"... which do you like? Micky Mouse? The Muppets?

I'm including the ones that may not be primarily about "Christmas", but the setting is so richly entrenched in the holiday that it *seems* like a Christmas movie. Like "It's a Wonderful Life" and "Home alone"... they aren't necessarily *about* Christmas, but the story happens at Christmas, and it's an important theme in the movie.

And include, too, any favorite Christmas television specials you remember or like. The Andy Williams' shows were always entertaining.

Share your favorites, and maybe we'll find ourselves some new favorites or rediscovered favorites to share with our families.

holidaycat.gif

The Christmas Story... "You'll shoot your eye out kid..."

The Grinch who stole Christmas, Frosty The Snowman and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer always had to play once a season...

... which reminds me, I haven't seen them yet this year. :(

"A Christmas Story" ("And I said it. The F--- Word...." "You'll shoot your eye out, Kid") and the Alistar Simms (1952?) version of "A Christmas Carol" are high on the list, but I think my favorite is "Santa and Pete" with Hume Cronyn, James Earl Jones and Flex Alexander.

My two favorite Christmas movies are "It's A Wonderful Life" and "Miracle On 34th Street". I cry at either one lol. Every year.

For tv shows I like to watch (still!) Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and Frosty the Snowman. Ahhh the good old days. Those shows take me back to the '60's and let me be a kid again, even if it's only for a half an hour, it's still fun!

Q

White Christmas hasn't been mentioned and it's a family tradition around here (DH favorite).

I am enjoying seeing my kids watch some of the older Christmas animations (like Frosty and Rudolph) and enjoying them just as much as I ever did.

This year, our Christmas Eve family movie is going to be the Nativity. We haven't watched it before and have heard good things about it.

Hey Louis, I don't think I've ever caught that one about the Aliens. Maybe we should have a tin foil hat movie night. We could fill up the hats with popcorn, have a snack and then when it is empty...put it on our heads! :D

"It's A Wonderful Life" hands down here too.

But we get to 'visit' Bedford Falls each year. :)

you see the person that wrote it was visiting the town of Seneca Falls, NY and a lot of the places ARE REALLY THERE! (but this year there was NO SNOW so it just wasn't the same- but still fun)

Like the bridgeand ome of the stores even the bank. And a lot of the names of the charaters where named after real people too.

Every Year there is a festival (it was last weekend) and people dress up and play the parts as you walk around main street, you will see george running down the block or the little girl is there 'ringing the bell ( the person who played the girl in the movie comes each year as well). They even hand out little bells to all that want one. SO COOL being just 25 miles from the place it all happened!

Hey........

If you watch it ...... do you know the name of the cop and taxi driver?

You should because they became well known on TV when Jim Henson needed names for his Muppets?

Still don't know?.......................

Well they are BERT AND ERNIE! He did that as a way of connecting with HIS favorate Movie!WOW!

:AmishMichael2:

How can one choose?

I have a four-foot long shelf almost full of Christmas movies and specials, and I add to it every year. We can't stand most movies these days, but I'm so pleased they still make good Christmas movies.

Christmas in Connecticut (the original);

Miracle on 34th Street (first and second versions);

I'll watch almost anyone's version of A Christmas Carol - the man could write!

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 1 & 2

The Man Who Came to Dinner

Our favorite kid's programs:

Merry Mirthworm Christmas

Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas

Charlie Brown Christmas & It's Christmastime again, Charlie Brown

Our 2 month old grandson was transfixed by Rudolph, the Red-nosed Reindeer the other day. - He actually stopped crying for his Daddy!

and, and, and...

I think I just need to type out a list of all of the ones I have!

I love Christmas movies!

When the first snow falls each year my DH and I will watch White Christmas. It just gets us ready for the season, even if it is October! Then my family's favorite version of The Christmas Carol is Scrooge with Albert Finney. It is a musical adaptation. My 2 personal favorites are Christmas in Connecticut (the original) and It's a Wonderful Life. And we all love Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas!

Well - Even those don't really mention the reason Christmas is here I would have to say that Christmas vacation (yeah...it's dumb but I watch our VHS of it probably 10 times every year)...and my new favorite which I don't think has been mentioned here yet is Emmit Otter's jug band Christmas...watching my little daughter dance around when they are singing has made it to the top of my list!!

I also have to cast my vote for The Christmas Carol - with Alistar Sim, but also there is one with Henry Winkler - yes, The Fonz - made a christmas movie. It's supremely good.

I also love It's a Wonderful Life...but any black and white christmas movie is a fave. Why don't they show more of these?

Our new Favorite is " Fred Claus." There is this snowglobe that allows "Santa" to look on every child, it is breathtaking and brings me to tears each time I see it.

I love all the above that were mentioned. Our family is also huge fans of all the clay-mation specials, "A Year Without Santa Claus" and "Rudolf the Rednose Reindeer" among others. I still absolutely love the classic "Charlie Brown Christmas" And we traditionally decorate our tree to the "Grinch Who Stole Christmas" They never go out of style!

"It's A Wonderful Life" hands down here too.

But we get to 'visit' Bedford Falls each year. :)

you see the person that wrote it was visiting the town of Seneca Falls, NY and a lot of the places ARE REALLY THERE! (but this year there was NO SNOW so it just wasn't the same- but still fun)

Like the bridgeand ome of the stores even the bank. And a lot of the names of the charaters where named after real people too.

Every Year there is a festival (it was last weekend) and people dress up and play the parts as you walk around main street, you will see george running down the block or the little girl is there 'ringing the bell ( the person who played the girl in the movie comes each year as well). They even hand out little bells to all that want one. SO COOL being just 25 miles from the place it all happened!

Hey........

If you watch it ...... do you know the name of the cop and taxi driver?

You should because they became well known on TV when Jim Henson needed names for his Muppets?

Still don't know?.......................

Well they are BERT AND ERNIE! He did that as a way of connecting with HIS favorate Movie!WOW!

:AmishMichael2:

OMG Guess who you are getting a visit from next year ... ME and Saintsfan. The black/white version of a Wonderful Life is our favorite we watch it at least once every Christmas Season. I told hubby about this and he is so excited he said that is what he wants for Christmas next year.

Can't go without watching "It's a Wonderful Life" - Everytime a bell rings an angel gets her wings..I saw it with her every year..

But I never consider it Christmas with Christmas Vacation...it's corny, but so typical when you have a large family and trying to get everyone together, the problems, the fights, the cooking and of course the joy.

Mickey's Christmas Carol.... and they used to play 2 short cartoons with it...one was Pluto fighting with Chip and Dale in the Christmas tree. That's always been one of my favorites.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation...seems like that's the one this year that we're watching over and over.

It's A Wonderful Life

A Christmas Story

A Charlie Brown Christmas

Emmet Otter's Jug Band Christmas??? Never heard of that one!!

I have the Claymation specials on videotape, somewhere... the kids were of the right age to like that one when it came out! (Remember the California Raisins? :D )

And I never heard of Fred Claus, either...

Gonna have to start looking around to find these!

Archived