MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

REALLY large Grain Order

Hi everyone. I have a friend who has decided to invest into about 10,000 lbs of wheat berries/grain. She's been getting some info from me, but I am limited with my knowledge on this subject as I've only bought a few hundred lbs from Breadbeckers.

I suggested Walton Feed, Breadbeckers, etc... But, I told her I'd check with my wise and experienced friends here at MrsSurvival! :)

So, two BIG questions.

1. If you were going to order 10,000 lbs, who would you order from and why?

2. How would you go about storing it? There are so many methods, I'm getting confused.

Thanks!!! in advance! ;hug3:

Hi everyone. I have a friend who has decided to invest into about 10,000 lbs of wheat berries/grain. She's been getting some info from me, but I am limited with my knowledge on this subject as I've only bought a few hundred lbs from Breadbeckers.

I suggested Walton Feed, Breadbeckers, etc... But, I told her I'd check with my wise and experienced friends here at MrsSurvival! :)

So, two BIG questions.

1. If you were going to order 10,000 lbs, who would you order from and why?

2. How would you go about storing it? There are so many methods, I'm getting confused.

Thanks!!! in advance! ;hug3:

Shipping will kill you from Walton Feed...I've done it.

I'd only buy the grain in the buckets and I'd buy from Bread Beckers because even though their buckets of grain are higher than Walton Feed's base price, you still come out cheaper for the grains with shipping.

Here where I am we have a co-op that buys from Wheat Montana. I looked them up and there is a distribution center in GA. She might could work out a deal with them to pick it up there and not have to pay a lot of shipping.

http://www.wheatmontana.com/store/index.php?cPath=22

I like their product. It makes wonderful bread.

As for storing I would store in mylar bags in 5 gal buckets.

One more thing Honeyville has $4.49 shipping no matter how much your order is.

http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/springwheat50lb.aspx

Edited by mommato3boys

My very best advice is this - get yourself a mormon friend. Seriously. No, I'm not kidding, stop laughing. :24: You done yet?

I was amazed at the cheap rate they have on foods and grains. It's because they work with mormon farmers and fields across the nation. I've NEVER paid more than $15 for 50# sacks of wheat berries.

Also, you can go and volunteer in their metal dry food cannery and buy things yourself if you go with someone who is a mormon.

The lady I know who is a mormon is someone I met through a canning class. We now work together to get cut rates on produce, meat, and other foodstuffs for anyone who wants it, regardless of denomination or belief.

Perhaps you can contact a local mormon temple or ward near you and start that route.

My very best advice is this - get yourself a mormon friend. Seriously. No, I'm not kidding, stop laughing. :24: You done yet?

I was amazed at the cheap rate they have on foods and grains. It's because they work with mormon farmers and fields across the nation. I've NEVER paid more than $15 for 50# sacks of wheat berries.

Also, you can go and volunteer in their metal dry food cannery and buy things yourself if you go with someone who is a mormon.

The lady I know who is a mormon is someone I met through a canning class. We now work together to get cut rates on produce, meat, and other foodstuffs for anyone who wants it, regardless of denomination or belief.

Perhaps you can contact a local mormon temple or ward near you and start that route.

Religions are usually capitalized, Mormon, is one of those words we capitalize because it is a proper name.

I agree. We are good at the whole food storage thing, and the food is very good.

As C4C said, "We now work together to get cut rates on produce, meat, and other foodstuffs for anyone who wants it, regardless of denomination or belief."

And we ALL make spelling, punctuation, grammar and capitalization errors.

Kindness, friends, kindness.

Stephanie, 10,000 pounds!!! Wow. I am truly humbled.

Thanks y'all for the suggestions.

Darlene, we discussed Walton's a bit more and she even talked to them on the phone. But, she just couldn't get a straight answer about the shipping. Thanks for the heads up.

A co=op would be a wonderful idea, but she is not near either of those states. That is one of the things that she has been looking for.

One of the reasons that I'm asking her question is for her is for privacy. This grain would be an investment for the future. She has determined that money is safer invested in grain than in the stock market or a bank. I think she is probably right.

I have never considered the LDS route C4C, that's a great suggestion! I'll mention that to her as well.

Any more suggestions or tips on a VERY LARGE grain order? What about storage??

What I've bought is in buckets, but that may not be the best option with so much grain. Don't I remember Trish saying that she stored in galvanized garbage cans???

I think you should spend a little while finding out how many cubic feet, or how many gallons, this adds up to. You're talking about filling a 12x10 foot bedroom, wall to wall and floor to ceiling, without room to open the door, without packaging. You're talking a small silo, which would be a beacon to zombies. In cylindrical packaging such as garbage cans or buckets, you'd need two bedrooms. Without the packaging, though, huge quantities will certainly go to waste.

Did I tell you about my fifty-gallon barrel of meal worms?

Edited by Ambergris

EEKKK! Ambergris, this is not a good thing (meal worms) :yuk: And we surely don't want to attract zombies either! :o

This grain would be stored in a well insulated and sizable garage. I've already told them the cautions about the cement floor. She is considering going into business and selling this grain, so proper storage is a must.

One thing they've already done and had great success with is the diatomaceous earth. I know many of us are familiar with this, but for any who aren't here's an informative link.

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

We also looked at the mylar bags...but that's cost prohibitive for such a large quantity.

Stephanie,

I do know how much grain that is - it's like a literal truckload. When packaged, you're looking at filling up literal rooms, floor to ceiling. It's amazing to think about it.

For the investment, mylar bags and buckets are really the way to go. Mylar bags keep out air, moisture, and if you add DE or a bay leaf with an O2 absorber, most critters are repelled as well. If she stored the buckets on palates, it would keep them off a concrete floor and allow air to circulate. I speak from experience on this one, because my husband lost 12 pails of poorly packed grain due to incorrect packing.

Regarding the expense, she might get a better deal with a wholesale business license, although, I really must say again, no one can beat the mormons for price. I believe Walton feed is owned by Mormons and when my friend visited family in Idaho, she brought back a literal truckload of bags from walton and had NO PROBLEM selling them to those who needed them, myself included at a great price. We found a local source for new buckets and she also bought flat lids and gamma seal lids. Sometimes though, there is no way around the $6 investment of a gamma lid, no matter what discount you might get.

FYI - DE (diatamacious earth) can be cheaply bought at a feed store. I use it in the chicken house. :)

PS: I've had some issues with my eyes lately, as well as my keyboard, so please excuse any punctuation errors with grace and kindness. ;)

As C4C said, "We now work together to get cut rates on produce, meat, and other foodstuffs for anyone who wants it, regardless of denomination or belief."

And we ALL make spelling, punctuation, grammar and capitalization errors.

Kindness, friends, kindness.

Stephanie, 10,000 pounds!!! Wow. I am truly humbled.

"My very best advice is this - get yourself a mormon friend. Seriously. No, I'm not kidding, stop laughing. :24: You done yet? "

I just thought from the first sentence, there was some disrespect. Why would laughter be happening because you found a friend -- who was LDS, who specialize in food storage? Though to be real, I have to say, only about 10 of LDS store food.

I thought I said things gentlly and without too much anger or finger pointing. Sometimes I feel like it is WHO says things around here, no matter what is said. I will bow off posting for now. Have a very merry Christmas. I am sorry that you have having issues with your keyboard and most expecially your eyes. I am happy that it only effects the middle of sentences. Have a good one.

Angela,

I'm sorry if you or anyone else was offended. I never meant it as such. Sometimes to consider getting to know a person for what they have (possessions, skills, etc.) or what they bring to a group, instead of who they are as a person can be, at best, difficult, for it can be seen as self-serving. That is what I meant by the statement. I chose to use humor, perhaps it was the wrong choice. I for one, would no more get to know someone just because they have certain skills or connections or a particular religious orientation than I would buy an expensive car becuase the neighbors just did. Also, I would no more expect someone to get to know me because of religious orientation or hair colour, but I digress.

I would also like to gently remind and note that in the future, I would really appreciate it, if anyone has a problem with a post of mine, to please send me a pm. This way, I can deal with it personally.

Have a great day.

That's a lot of grain, this site seems a good one for her to read. Lots of interesting information there.

-

http://www.fao.org/docrep/T1838E/T1838E00.htm#Contents

Chapter 1 - Economics of grain handling and storage in developing countries

Chapter 2 - The biodeterioration of grain and the risk of mycotoxins

Chapter 3 - Quality and grading of grain

Chapter 4 - Grain harvesting, threshing and cleaning

Chapter 5 - Drying methods

Chapter 6 - Storage at farm/village level and in warehouses

Chapter 7 - Bulk storage

Chapter 8 - Insect control

Chapter 9 - Rodent control

Edited by Leah