MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

We have moved!

kathy003

It's been a while since I have posted on here, but i have managed to log on and read some messages.

we have now moved from the city to the country, and boy, are we rural! And, loving every minute of it!!!

It's alot different from what we are used to, in the city, there are grocery stores on almost every corner. Here, the closest one is 20 minutes away,,, and that's to a country market which is expensive. Our nearest good store is about 45 minutes away and that's a Kroger. I've never shopped there much, but now it's about my only option,, that's ok, i can adjust to change. If a city dweller ever thinks they are organized with a list, i have found living so rural you really find out how organized you are. Because of this site and all the home prep inventory, I do better than i thought I would, but still need some tweaks on that.

It's very cool not having a water/sewage bill, i always thought that was a waste of money.

It's so quiet here at night you can hear a pin drop when you are outside. It's winter here so we aren't outside much, but when we are it's still so quiet.

You can't beat the privacy! we do have two neighbors but they are about an acre away. Still haven't met them but maybe by next summer.

I have found that you really have to love being at home alot, or spend alot of gas money going places because nothing is close and you can't just *run* somewhere. Luckily, DH and I are good friends so this hasn't been an issue, we both have had alot to do. I can see how winter's could be very long.

I am already dreaming of where i will put my garden on the property, i think i have the perfect place planned.

The kids have adjusted amazingly well, they love the house and will have a great summer running around on our few acres.

we still haven't seen any wild animals, but have heard this area has a big problem with wild boars. My dogs have seen something roaming around the rear of the property, boy, i wish i could see/sense what they do.

I have to say, this is the best decision my DH and i have ever made. It's just so unbelievable we took the jump from living in the city to the country. We have only had one issue and that was when our sub pump in the basement broke and we needed to buy a new one. We have two down there so it wasn't as terrible as it could have been.

That's about all the update i have now. Everyday we look around the property and still can't believe how blessed we have become. I don't think we will ever believe it!

If a city dweller ever thinks they are organized with a list, i have found living so rural you really find out how organized you are. Because of this site and all the home prep inventory, I do better than i thought I would, but still need some tweaks on that.

Congrats on the move. A good hint I got when I moved out into the "boonies"(nearest grocery store 17 miles and it is NOT Kroger or Wal-Mart) was to always carry a cooler when I went on errands or whatever. Just in case you decide to stop and pick something up. Since I live in the South, usually it is too warm to just carry something home in the summer.

WTG Kathy. It is wonderful to NOT be surrounded by noise, pollution and blinking lights isn´t it?

Yes it takes a fair bit of organizing but it´s definitely worth it.

So congrats.

A cooler is a wonderful idea, especially for summer! Right now it's winter in Michigan, so that's not a worry now, but i will do that come summer thanks so much for the idea.

One big difference is time has seemed to slow down to a crawl. When we lived in the city days, months and years went by faster than i ever thought. Here, days and nights both seem long,, it is a nice change to have a slower less complex life. I never realized how much stress we were under before we moved.

We are enjoying living here!

Congrats!!!!

A day in the country is worth a month in town!!!

Isn't that the truth???

We bought our property 15 years ago and only moved here 3 years ago. I LOVE it. Of course, there are things I miss about the city, but it is so worth being out in the country.

You'll probably find some neighbors that offer great veggies and some fruit as well as eggs, once you get acquainted with some folks.

What does your hubby do, Kathy? Does he have far to drive for work?

My husband is a computer technician. We lived in the city for so long because of his work, but in the last year the economy in the Metro Detroit area sank so bad, he only had a few customer's left this last summer, he mostly did work for buisnesses, but would do personal computer's also. With the loss of most of his customer's, add that to how much our home value dropped, like everyone else's, and the increase of crime in our old city, we decided if there was ever a great time to take the plunge, now would be the time.

So, he works out of the house, and I am a candlemaker and do homecare for Senior citizens. So, we moved and are still going to work out of the house.

Archived