MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WormGuy

Chickens in the city

I saw this on CNN's site today. It looks like more folks are waking up. I use to live in Louisville and never knew chickens could be kept in the city. I wish I could have them here, stupid health department says no way.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/1...n.chickens.wave

:wormie2:

John

I had 3 hens when I lived in the city. I had them well hidden and they were girls so no one would hear roosters crowing. No one ever knew about them. Most suburbs have enough yard space for keeping chickens.

When DH was young he said it was very common for city folk to keep chickens. He was a kid during WWII and it wasn't that far past the depression era. Also things weren't nearly as regulated as they are nowadays.

A young man from Indy who bought some chickens from me this last summer said his grandfather had told him nearly *everyone* in the city had chickens up til about the '50s. He'd said that even people in apartments had roof-top chicken coops.

If you live in a place that prohibits "livestock" and you want chickens, read around the code and the statute carefully. Many places with a livestock prohibition specifically choose not to prohibit three or fewer chickens unless they are a noise nuisance.

Here you can't have chickens within 100 feet of another house or business. Hard to do in a subdivision. :(

John

Remember - hens can raise quite a ruckus without the rooster when they lay or see a threat.

They are not "quiet" by any means.

Ted

Edited by ttruscott

I have heard that most cities that have an ordinance against chickens will not have one against quail. So that might be one way to get around it. They may not be the same size, but still an egg is an egg.

Here you can't have chickens within 100 feet of another house or business. Hard to do in a subdivision. :(

John

Here it's 6 hens within 40 feet and the permission of your closest neighbors. There are already several who have some so I don't think it will be an issue.

I know that people in many cities are working hard to change the (silly) laws...

Edited by dogmom4

I may just have to make a trip to the health department and get a list of what can and can't be kept in the city. I have a friend that works there, she may know of any ways around the rules also.

John

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.