MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My Mom passed away today

Pigzzilla

My Mom was 80. She had dementia, diabetes, and a hip replaced. I love her but I do not like her. She was mean and spiteful. Her only friends were those who could do something for her, when they stopped doing they were no longer useful to her. My 2 sisters feel the same as I do. This is so sad to feel this way about my Mom.

I am the oldest of 3 girls. Kay is 2 years younger than me and Lyn 13 years younger. Mom married my stepdad when I was 6. We lived with my grandparents til she married. Pete is the greatest Dad ever. He put up with Mom for over 50 years. He is now 87 and in excellent health. Mom has said she seriously hates him cause he is so healthy.

Mom fell about 4 years ago and had a hip replaced. She refused to do the exercises the doctors and therapists wanted her to do. They recommended she swim but she refused because "someone would look at her and see the scars". We all told her that the people at the pool would be like her, older and recovering from surgerys. But she was determined not to anything to help herself.

She developed diabetes. I argued with her for years that she must cut back on drinking, so for a little while she cut back on the Scotch and drank more wine. She began eating less. She was told she must stop smoking, but that was like talking to a rock. "Smoking?? I'm not smoking- you must be smelling it on my jacket. I guess I need to send it to the cleaners."

She has had several falls in the last year. None serious, but more and more frequent. Eating less and less. Sometimes she would fall and be so weak, dad would take her to the doctor where she would deny falling. Told the Dr. she quit smoking months ago, then set off alarms in the bathroom cause she lit up.

She was finally diagnosed with dementia about 6 months ago. That helped explain some of her recent behavior. Last Wed. she fell again and was very weak. Dad took her to the hospital. On Thurs. she was transferred to a rehab-recovery facility. Yesterday the Doctor said she would most likely be like this for several months, so Dad and Lyn suggested Kay and I make the trip again soon. Kay lives in Texas and I'm almost 700 miles north of Mom and Dad and Lyn.

We had been putting off doing some work on my truck but got busy. Figured I could leave first thing in the morning. I hate to fly. Kay got an early flight form Houston. Lyn picked her up and they went to see Mom. She was all dressed, hair fixed and some makeup on. Real chipper. They visited awhile til Lyn had to leave to take her DD to an appointment.

About an hour later, Mom had a seizure and became unconsious. The staff wanted to have her taken to the hospital, but Dad said NO. Let God have her. So she passed away about 5:30 this afternoon. I am going to fly down in the morning and probably stay about a week. Don't know if Dad got a new computer or not. His croaked its last a few weeks ago.

Please don't hate me for the way I feel about her. Like I said, I love her but don't like her. Strange way to feel about someone..............Pigzzilla

Today is Tuesday Dec. 29, 2009

Oh sweetie, no one will hate you at all. It’s natural to love someone and yet dislike some of their behaviors. For whatever reason mom chose to do or not do certain things. Particularly those regarding her health were still her choice and you shouldn’t feel bad couldn’t get her to change. Maybe some of the meaness was her own disappointment in self and being a bit miserable not being able to find a balance in all things. Praying for your safe trip to gather with family. And that you’ll find comfort in knowing she lived a long life and is no longer in any pain or suffering. It sounds like she chose a great stepfather for her girls all those years ago. I’m so glad you’re able to go and all of you be together during this sad time. Oh! And I'm pretty impressed with 87 year old regularly using computer. I doubt my own parents would've had much interest in learning "new fangled technology" lol. (((hugs)))

Dear Pigzilla, I am sorry for your loss.

Also sorry for the fact you didn't have a warm, caring mother.

My life practically just began after my mother has died so I know how you feel. I loved her cos she was my mother but didn't find much to like.

So here's to hoping you can find just one good memory about your mother. Even if it takes some deep digging, I hope you can find one good thing and then it'll be so much easier.

If you feel like an explanation on that, feel free to PM. It goes rather deep to explain and I want to respect your feelings.

i understand where you are coming from . my mom is like your mom wants someone to wait on her, do for her and so on. i have not talked to my mom in months well about 9 . my dad passed away january 26th this year and when he passed i asked God why take my dad why not my mom. i know i should not of done that but thats how i felt. my mon even kicked my dad out of her house 8 years ago because my youngest sister (5 of us total all girls) did not like something he said goes to show how much love my mom has. she has 22 grand kids out of them 4 the ones that live with her she does everything for only them and the sister that lives with her treats her like dirt. just know you have the right to feel the way you do.

With all that your going threw i pray that you can have peace and strength. your family is in my prayers.

Dearest Pigzilla, don't let that guilt consume you. I think that you will find there are many, many people who understand the "love, but not like" conundrum that we can encounter with members of our families. I know I do. I pray that God will bless you with comfort found in your sisters and father (and thank God for him...it sounds like he has held your family together for many years -- he must be an amazing person), and that you will experience healing and peace in the coming weeks and months.

Don't feel bad hon, I have the same feelings for my mother. I love her but I don't like her, I don't have that lovey dovey mother daughter relationship either so I totally understand where you are coming from.

I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Same thots. Relationships vary. Treating our difficult family members with the respect they deserve [simply because of their relationship to us]....and honoring them for the good we can find in them.... it's tough but worthy of our effort. But sometimes we don't spend a lot of time with them. Not required. Sometimes it's dangerous or simply tooo toxic. :shrug: Be at ease about that, Pigzilla.

The next few days/weeks may be tense with others of the family too. We'll pray that God's peace will mellow out the tempers and anxiety and tension that go with the passing of a family member. Many are at their worst selves when it comes to funerals and saying goodbye.

I pray that you will have some important and poignant moments in the coming days that are worthy to remember and cherish.

:grouphug:

MtRider

So sorry for your loss. My DH had a father that was difficult to be around. Things with my father in law were never pleasant no matter how my husband tried. I hope you can move forward, enjoy the relationship with your step dad that sounds like a wonderful person

So sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you!!

Amazing, isn't it, how honesty can help you find the friends who know *exactly* what you're feeling?

((((((((Pigzzilla))))))))

May your heart find comfort in your sisters and your stepfather. It was wise of him to let her go instead of prolonging the process.

As you continue to sift through your feelings, feel free to write about it, either here, or in the ladies' forum, or in a private blog for only you. Writing things down can be helpful, even theraputic.

God bless you, and we'll be here foryou... grouphugg.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I, too, can relate to your feelings.  My "mother" is in her eighties.  She wants nothing to do with me, or her ONLY grandchildren.

The only way she wants a "relationship" with them, is if I (or a magic unicorn???), delivers them to her house, and then I am supposed to disappear.  She never calls me or them.  I also have an older sister who completely ignores us.  I do have a younger brother - he lives far away and I don't hear from him, unless I call him.  He is friendly when I call but.......I find myself wondering if he is just tolerating my calls (infrequent as they are), because he never calls me.

I probably will not call him again.

I am, and always have been, the "black sheep" of my family of origin, as you can see!

I have never understood them.

Archived