MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Red flags for an arrived crisis - Part 16

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do realize that today is New Year's Eve, but I was astonished at the amount of people at Walmart acting like the end of the world was coming. I gather that government checks were available today and that probably added to the mess, but the shelves were bare throughout grocery. Dh could only buy one bag of dog food and there still wasn't the brand cat food we usually buy in big bags (been out since before Christmas). I asked the clerk what was going on and she said that it had been that way all week.....people getting gift cards had been buying up groceries and other essentials and they hadn't been able to keep stocking or the trucks coming in fast enough. Several "staple" items I was unable to get at all and some I had to buy a "name" brand because there wasn't generic. I know it raised my bill by at least $20 to have to make the substitutions. Walgreens was just as bad and then I went to our local Health Mart (pharmacy) and she said that it was the same way there. We both commented that people were acting like they wouldn't ever be able to get out again (they would be open on Saturday) and couldn't figure out why......no major storm or anything. I am glad that I keep a lot of staples stocked up......not desperate here, just frustrated. Are people waking up or just that desperate? I am afraid to know the answer to that question and dreading the next time I need to go to the store......

Blessings,

Carie

I was in Walmart yesterday to get some fertilizer and garden soil before the prices go up for spring. While there I got some canned sale items. While checking out, the cashier lady started complaining about the price of food and wondering what people were going to do as ;prices continue to go up.

I noticed while shopping that powdered milk was very expensive. When I was a kid we couldn't affort regular milk but we could always afford powdered....

I work at a grocery store. We were busy all day but it seems as busy or more than the day before Thanksgiving . By the time I got off most everything was wiped out and the lines to check out crazy.

Today was the 1st time I have EVER walked into a Walmart with ZERO carts available...I found ONE blue carry basket, and fortunately what I needed could fit into it. It seriously is a madhouse out there! The strange thing is, that the new county I live in is DRY...and it's just NOT a big party town...so I'm a bit surprised.

My guess is a lot of people spent money on presents and travelling, and let their larders get real thin. Then they wondered what would be closed on NYD, so they grabbed both restock and food for the closed day...

and... have you ever been to an auction, where the frenzy sets in and people pay $20 for a used item that goes for $16 new? Seemed like there were buying frenzies going on.

Edited by Ambergris

My grocery store was like that New Year's eve but lots were men buying beer and party food. I've never seen the check out lines backed up that far into the store!

Guess everyone was getting ready for the weekend and sent their hubbys in to the grocery store.

Went to SWM at 8 a.m. There have always been free-standing displays all the way down the center of the isle between pharmacy/vitamins, shampoo shelves and the towels, pans, etc shelving. These free-standing displays were completely gone. There were only 2 boxes of canning jars in the store. Our store never puts them on sale, never ran out before that I know off, canning lids-only a couple of boxes.

Did not notice much difference in the groceries, some shelves empty. Very few people in the store, checkers standing around waiting for customers.

Our Kmart store is closing. One less place to shop. The Macy's store and some of them are still at the mall. I don't know who can afford Macy and Nordstroms.

Kmart was where I got good deals on socks and undies for my family. The pharmacy is already closed and they have a sign up at Walgreens welcoming Kmart pharmacy customers. Walgreens has already caused a great local pharmacy to close. Such a shame to lose stores like this.

Glad I have lots of canning jars and lids, etc. I have stocked up on all the things I will need to can with for a while. If you can, I would suggest even buying a couple boxes of lids at a time, a box of canning salt, etc. It will all add up.

I went to Super Wally World yesterday with my dh and dd. It was packed in the grocery area, but not so much anywhere else in the store. I noticed that there was very little sugar or spices. I mean that the area where they have them has shrunk over the past year (it is a relatively new store) from a good 1/2 eisle on one side to maybe 1/4 of the orginial size. Plus the sugar, flour & spice sections were about empty. So made made sure I grabbed some of what was left..........lol.

OOOH OOOH! (Does anybody remember Officer Toody from "Car 54, Where Are You?") I meant to post this last week. My DM and I were in a local WalMart last Tuesday, the 29th of Dec. There was NO (and I mean No, None, Nada, no where, no how) ammunition. Period. I've seen it sparse, with large empty spaces, but I've never seen it totally depleted. I'll be in the same store tomorrow (the 4th of Jan) so I'll see if they've gotten anymore in. This may just be a time of the year thing, and with the major snow storm in the Oklahoma/Midwest, perhaps that added to it. I hope that's all it is... :pc_coffee:

UPDATE on above post. I went to the same Wal-Mart today. Same empty shelves. Guy next to me said the Wal-Mart in Smyrna had stopped selling guns and ammo. That's heavy duty around these parts.

Last week went with the family to a local burger joint. It's a fairly affluent suburb of MD, which due to the prevalence of Federal workers, has been hit less than most other places. At this shopping center-- usually a hub of activity-- 9 out of 20 storefronts were empty, including where the dollar store used to be. It was a bit eerie.

I found out yesterday that Gooseberry Patch is discontinuing all the mail order catalog and will produce only cookbooks. They are also going to more local outlets to distribute their cookbooks. Another sign of the times. They have had a mail order business for at least 30 years.

A local steak house, that is a national chain, mid-priced, just laid off the manager. Said it is nationwide, sales are down so much.

This is really bad for this man, wife expecting child, with several other children to feed also.

We live in a nice area, 1million dollar homes being 1/2 a mile away (we live in my inlaws rental rent free) I noticed today, not one, but two shopping carts abandoned in our neighborhood. I have always said you know a bad area by the number of shopping carts that people ditch after hauling their groceries home. Now its here in what I would consider a nice area!

There are Utube videos about Palm Desert and Palm Springs vacant businesses where the very wealthy have homes such as the Bill Gates and entertainers of the world. If these businesses can't make it, who can?

We live in a nice area, 1 million dollar homes being 1/2 a mile away (we live in my inlaws rental rent free) I noticed today, not one, but two shopping carts abandoned in our neighborhood. I have always said you know a bad area by the number of shopping carts that people ditch after hauling their groceries home. Now its here in what I would consider a nice area!

You can use metal carts in many a redneck way... Were they plastic or metal?

Stopped by Publix. A lot of the BOGO bins were empty or nearly so. I've never seen them so low before, esp since the specials just changed.

I am also a Publix shopper and have been for many years. My store has been making some noticable changes over the past few weeks. Their specialty Deli Case (olives, salads, etc.) has been emptied and now only holds deli meats. Their free standing specialty cheese case doesn't have near the amount of variety it used to have. As a matter of fact, I was in one day a couple months ago when a manager and employee were discussing what products they wouldn't be carrying anymore. The Dairy section has been reorganized and offers less variety. Today, it was the Orange Juice section. They were emptying out the shelves and moving things around. Produce section, the last three times I've shopped has had nearly empty bins or completely empty bins and the stock people have no idea when when replacements will arrive. Canned goods are only stacked three to four deep now, not all the way to the back of the shelves like they used to be. Also, several times I've noticed that if I don't hit the sales or BOGO's as soon as they hit, they run out of product. All this is very disturbing to me and definitely tells me things are changing rapidly.

I assume you ask for a raincheck.

Legally, they must give you one if they did not stock sufficient product.

We live in a nice area, 1 million dollar homes being 1/2 a mile away (we live in my inlaws rental rent free) I noticed today, not one, but two shopping carts abandoned in our neighborhood. I have always said you know a bad area by the number of shopping carts that people ditch after hauling their groceries home. Now its here in what I would consider a nice area!

You can use metal carts in many a redneck way... Were they plastic or metal?

Not here, its illegal to have them, not risking getting charged with theft for taking them. They were metal though.

been away from home for a year--took a drive yesterday through the "fancy" part of town--a lot of the houses are for sale!!! not just a few--there are more for sale than not!!!