MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Darlene

Red flags for an arrived crisis - Part 16

I assume you ask for a raincheck.

Legally, they must give you one if they did not stock sufficient product.

Yes, on occassion I've asked for rainchecks but only if it's something on sale I really needed or wanted. The point is, my grocery store is now running out of product which they have NEVER done in the 20+ years I have shopped there. That's what worries me. The demand is now overwhelming their supply. This tells me they are changing their stocking habits by either ordering limited supplies, using the JIT System or the Sheeple are waking up and stocking up on the sale items sooner rather than later. In any event, I need to be more on my toes if I want to keep my food storage up.

Dh has always been a supporter of prepardness and has joined in some areas but, he has also not noticed alot of things simply because he has not noticed things like I have at the store. Well that all changed yesterday. We are having a pretty nice snow storm here so on dh 's way home from work he went to walmart and to a hardware store. At the walmart dh was going to pick up a few grocery items and ink cartridges for my printer. I had been to the same walmart on the Friday before. The store was out of printer cartridges and out of Italian sausage. Well yesterday they still where out of both of them and a couple other things dh was going to get. So I assume that they are not getting in shippments like they used to. When Dh went to the hardware store they had a lot of items that they where low on stock and several that they just didn't have at all. Dh asked about it and was told that they are not restocking things that they run out of. They are also changing the rows and shelving to not make it so noticeable.

was told that they are not restocking things that they run out of. They are also changing the rows and shelving to not make it so noticeable.

And that's probably one of the more disturbing things I've read today, which considering some of what I've read today, says quite a bit. Why not restocking? Usually, when one thing is discontinued, a substitute is indroduced or expanded. If the stores are getting like this and are trying to hide it, there's something very wrong, I'd think. I mean, if they come out and say "To save you $$, we're decreasing our inventory/ narrowing the variety/ whatev." that would be one thing. But trying to hide this. . . makes me twitchy.

You know, there was a day I trusted folk. What ever do you think happened. . . ?

I think every retailer in the country is cutting out variety in stock down to what sells the most and cutting inventory in the back warehouse. They are just trying to survive by not having so much money tied up in inventory so they can pay their employees and rent. Keep on top of what you are using up so that you continue to rebuy. It may take multiple trips to find the same product even in a different brand.

I agree with you Betty. I for one am glad they are cutting down on the overwhelming selection of items. Really, who needs 30 different varieties and/or brands of peanut butter? If they start running out of the basics like plain old Skippy, I will get more worried. Not tying up a bunch of money in inventory is smart business sense.

I agree with you Betty. I for one am glad they are cutting down on the overwhelming selection of items. Really, who needs 30 different varieties and/or brands of peanut butter? If they start running out of the basics like plain old Skippy, I will get more worried. Not tying up a bunch of money in inventory is smart business sense.

Personally I am glad they carry a varity, it make it easier for me to rn to the store and pick up something I need. I don't buy foods like Skippy because we don't eat hydrogenated oils, right now our store I am able to go buy real peanut butter. It would make things hard on me if they didn't carry items I usually eat, then I have to make a 20 mile one way trip to Whole Foods.

I too have noticed the empty shelfs. I couldn't find socks at Target yesterday, the entire ilse was one sock per hanger. It was like they we spreading things out to make them look fuller.

Dang, Ive been to Wal-Mart, K-Mart and Target looking for underwear for myself. All I want are nylon high cut ones. Nothing to be had. Bealls had none either. Where am I suppose to get the undies I want? I dont like briefs, bikinis, boy cut, thongs.Jeez. I dont want to go to Victoria Secrets and pay a fortune either. So Ill guess Ill keep looking. Maybe go t Kohl's soon.

This may not be too bad,now if it goes into Feb. Maybe. Most stores do not stock after the holidays,they let it get low for their inventory count. I worked in retail for a lot of years and we always did that,makes it easier not having to count as much product--also the weather could be having a problem with the trucks getting in. Just wait a bit and keep your eyes open.

As far as stocking the stores, growing up we bought groceries at a little country store, Uncle John only stocked what HE liked. You got Del Monte catsup or nothing. Limited space was the reason. There was one brand of most items on his shelves. If an item was wanted that he didn't carry, you went to town to get it, if enough people asked for it and commited to buy it he would stock it, but it required a lot of folks asking for it. He carried almost everything you needed, for everyday needs though.

We made another trip to WW today. There were not very many people in the store and in the food section, a lot of the shelves had the products pushed up to the front of the displays and then nothing behind them. There were only two things of bouillon left and I got them both. There were only 4 Coleman propane containers and we took all of them. Plus, no ammo. In all, this made us feel rather weird about what is going on.

I was at the WM in the county where I work last Monday. No ammo at all (except for shotgun shells), not a lot of people in the store and the shelves were decidedly picked over. Today, I was in another WM in the county south of us; lots of shotgun shells, some ammo (not much though) but the store was PACKED. There were a couple of shoppers who had 2 carts full of stuff (and we aren't talking about having big items so you'd need 2 carts - just full of canned goods, boxes, etc). Our cashier said it had been that way all day long. This may have something to do with the weather here - some snow and ice and bone chilling cold.

Went shopping at WM last night...mostly in the grocery section...LOTS of bare shelves. It was a little strange. Meat section was full, but with a very limited selection. Dry goods were the most picked over, some shelves were totally bare. Frozen and dairy were well-stocked. It was a little strange to see so many bare shelves, but I didn't think that it might be inventory time. That could be part of it. I just never noticed it being quite this empty, though, even after the holidays.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the bare shelves? I saw this when browsing HT. http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=331910

SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.

I do not normally pass on rumors or here-say but a very good personal friend's uncle is a Deputy Economic Advisor to Obama as well as a Professor at a prestigious Eastern school. He was called into a private meeting last week with the President. They were told, I quote the Following: " Between now and Jan 1st 70 more big banks will fail and 70% of Retail Companies will be Bankrupt. The President will allow them to make as much as they can for the Christmas Holidays then Jan 15 there will be a Bank holiday and their new currency will be issued with a devaluation of 6 to 10 to 1." I believe this why they are trying to keep the market and dollar up now with their lies on all the News outlets. Set up the people to steal very last penny they can get. Martial Law can not be too far behind. Get your money out of banks and into physical Gold and silver, I recommend 60% Gold 40% silver, food, Foundation seed, guns, ammo, generators ...etc.

If you can not eat it, drink it, wear it, live in it, raise food on it, do not invest in it. If you have stocks, bonds 401K, IRA take the penalty and put it in what I just said. If you have substancial funds call me privately and I can help. And remember get far away from the Cities!!!!! This is first hand information and I would take it very seriously. Lion of Judah cell 406-274-4325 mst

I wonder if this has anything to do with the bare shelves? I saw this when browsing HT. http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=331910
SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT.

I do not normally pass on rumors or here-say but a very good personal friend's uncle is a Deputy Economic Advisor to Obama as well as a Professor at a prestigious Eastern school. He was called into a private meeting last week with the President. They were told, I quote the Following: " Between now and Jan 1st 70 more big banks will fail and 70% of Retail Companies will be Bankrupt. The President will allow them to make as much as they can for the Christmas Holidays then Jan 15 there will be a Bank holiday and their new currency will be issued with a devaluation of 6 to 10 to 1." I believe this why they are trying to keep the market and dollar up now with their lies on all the News outlets. Set up the people to steal very last penny they can get. Martial Law can not be too far behind. Get your money out of banks and into physical Gold and silver, I recommend 60% Gold 40% silver, food, Foundation seed, guns, ammo, generators ...etc.

If you can not eat it, drink it, wear it, live in it, raise food on it, do not invest in it. If you have stocks, bonds 401K, IRA take the penalty and put it in what I just said. If you have substancial funds call me privately and I can help. And remember get far away from the Cities!!!!! This is first hand information and I would take it very seriously. Lion of Judah cell 406-274-4325 mst

I might have had a tendency to MAYBE think there might be SOME truth until I read the sentence in bold.

I have an Applebee's Chili's and a BBQ place down the road from where I work (pretty affluent area). Last week the owner of the BBQ told us Applebee's had closed (sure enough the sign is gone) :o and Chili's was going to close but decided to stick it out another month since Applebee's was gone. Seeing alot of smaller businesses close.

Dennis

Regarding the bank holiday on Jan 15th, etc.... please do read the comments on the link FunkyP posted with that. http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=331910 Many posted reasons to be skeptical.

Lets face it, we are living in precarious times. We are all taking risks of some sort. We'd all love to have "inside information". But....nothing we read or hear [mainstream or otherwise] is guaranteed to be accurate. EVEN if the person speaking the words genuinely believes them. :shrug:

One day, this rumor may come true..... this day in January? Who knows? Try to place yourself in the least amount of risk. Even heading for the "bunker" today does not guarantee risk-free living. Most of us are still trying to maintain a balance of being prepared and still living in the 21st Cent. Some day we might regret not having taken more drastic measures. :shrug: We do the best we can.

MtRider [just trying to be able to tell "which end is up"..... very physically dizzy IRL :twister3: ]

I bought a new sofa today, the furniture place is doing cash for clunkers (on old furniture) and taking the old stuff. I have never heard of this before (not in my area anyways). I ask the lady when they would get in new stuff she had no idea. I think the economy is hurting them and they need to unload old stuff because it isn't selling.

Regarding the bank holiday on Jan 15th, etc.... please do read the comments on the link FunkyP posted with that. http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=331910 Many posted reasons to be skeptical.

Lets face it, we are living in precarious times. We are all taking risks of some sort. We'd all love to have "inside information". But....nothing we read or hear [mainstream or otherwise] is guaranteed to be accurate. EVEN if the person speaking the words genuinely believes them. :shrug:

One day, this rumor may come true..... this day in January? Who knows? Try to place yourself in the least amount of risk. Even heading for the "bunker" today does not guarantee risk-free living. Most of us are still trying to maintain a balance of being prepared and still living in the 21st Cent. Some day we might regret not having taken more drastic measures. :shrug: We do the best we can.

MtRider [just trying to be able to tell "which end is up"..... very physically dizzy IRL :twister3: ]

You hit the nail on the head MT. Eventually one of these rumors will turn out not to be a rumor. Thats why we must be prepared as well as we can, becasue we can't act upon every he said she said, but if we're prepared we need not fear. ;0)

I think last year about this time there was a similar rumor about a bank holiday, where the dollar would be replaced with the Amero. I think that particular rumor started with some shill named Hal Turner, who turned out to be an agent provacateur for the FBI or CIA.

I've found a couple of good websites for fairly solid articles on the economy: Shadow Government with John Williams and The Silver Bear Cafe. Silver Bear reprints articles from other sources according to several financial topics and John Williams' site translates all the government and banking euphemisms to give you an insight into what may be really coming. I use Shadow Gov in my classes. Two other fairly reliable analysts are Peter Schiff and Gerald Celente, although I've come to think Gerald gets a little dramatic at times. Still, his analysis of current events and finances are generally accurate. When you follow these sites regularly, you get a sense of what's solid info and what's 'drama'.

Well, I have been around long enough for you guys to know how paranoid I am--perhaps...just perhaps...the rumors are put out there to get everyone used to hearing it, so when it really does happen no one has prepared for it--kind of a reverse "boy who cried wolf" story :whistling:

sorry wasn't sure where to put this.

Johnson & Johnson issues massive recall of Tylenol

By MARLEY SEAMAN, AP Health Writer Marley Seaman, Ap Health Writer Sat Jan 16, 1:10 am ET

NEW YORK – Johnson & Johnson issued a massive recall Friday of over-the-counter drugs including Tylenol, Motrin and St. Joseph's aspirin because of a moldy smell that has made people sick.

It was the second such recall in less than a month because of the smell, which regulators said was first reported to McNeil in 2008. Federal regulators criticized the company, saying it didn't respond to the complaints quickly enough, wasn't thorough in how it handled the problem and didn't inform the Food and Drug Administration quickly.

The recall includes some batches of regular and extra-strength Tylenol, children's Tylenol, eight-hour Tylenol, Tylenol arthritis, Tylenol PM, children's Motrin, Motrin IB, Benadryl Rolaids, Simply Sleep, and St. Joseph's aspirin.

The FDA and Johnson & Johnson's McNeil Consumer Healthcare Products said they did not know the number of bottles recalled. It included caplet and geltab products sold in the Americas, the United Arab Emirates, and Fiji.

Consumers should check the full list at http://www.mcneilproductrecall.com to identify the recalled batches.

The FDA said about 70 people have been either sickened by the odor — including nausea, stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea — or noticed it.

The smell is caused by small amounts of a chemical associated with the treatment of wooden pallets, Johnson & Johnson said. The FDA said the chemical can leach into the air, and traced it to a facility in Las Piedras, Puerto Rico.

The New Brunswick, N.J., company said it is investigating the issue and will stop shipping products with the same materials on wooden pallets. It has asked suppliers to do so as well.

The FDA said McNeil knew of the problem in early 2008 but made only a limited investigation.

"McNeil should have acted faster," said Deborah Autor, the director of the FDA's Office of Compliance of the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research. "When something smells bad, literally or figuratively, companies must aggressively investigate and take all necessary action to solve the problem."

The FDA sent McNeil a warning letter for violating manufacturing standards and failing to report and investigate the problem in a timely way, Autor said.

Johnson & Johnson has 15 days to respond. The FDA says it wants an explanation as to why the problem was not made public sooner.

In November, McNeil recalled some Tylenol Arthritis Caplets due to the smell. Almost three weeks ago, the company expanded its recall to include more batches of Tylenol Arthritis Caplets.

There have been no reports of nausea related to the most recent recall, the company said. McNeil, however, said the expanded recall includes product lots that could be affected by the same problems of nausea.

The company said it is working with the FDA.

Also on Friday, federal prosecutors in Boston said Johnson & Johnson paid tens of millions of dollars in kickbacks so nursing homes would put more patients on its blockbuster schizophrenia drug.

The government's complaint states that J&J gave special rebates to Omnicare Inc., the country's biggest dispenser of prescription drugs to nursing homes, in return for recommendations from its pharmacists that patients be given Risperdal, in many cases when it was inappropriate.

J&J said in a statement it "will address the government's lawsuit in court" and believes its rebates were "lawful and appropriate."

Johnson & Johnson shares fell 54 cents to $64.56 Friday

Just a heads up in case any one has these in their preps

In the week ending Jan. 16, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial claims for unemployment compensation in Florida showed an increase of 36,000 from the previous week's revised figure of 446,000.

Without the seasonal adjustment? Add pretty close to 50%.