MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Red flags for an arrived crisis - Part 16

If you use a phone book or catalogue, crumple the page and scrub it against itself to break up and remove the nonabsorbent outer layer.

I bet scrubbing it against a stick would be faster and more effective.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I should stop complaining about us having so many phone books and how thick they are. We get about 5 different ones. I have 2 drawers full of current phone books. Maybe they will come in real handy. I should store the old versions when a new one comes out instead of recycling them.

Detroit is bull dosing about half of the city and making it into farm land. Millions of people have left the city! More Millions have left the state. Millions and millions of jobs have left the state and the country.

My little town has whole streets with no one living in them. Parts of town look like a ghost town.

Wal-Mart no longer sells over half of the products we used to buy all the time so now I am making most if not all of them from scratch. A head of lettuce which is half the size they used to be cost $1.30 a head. Bread is $1.50 a loaf for the cheap stuff!

Fabric prices are outragous and now our Wal-Mart is closing their fabric department even though I have never been there once when I didn't have to wait in line to get fabric and that counts in the middle of the day on a week day!

Jingles you should open a fabric shop! ;0)

My sister said that in her little town the schools have cut all sports programs except football, 1/2 of the stores are closed, and the teacher just reccomended her child for special ed becasue the school needed funding and well since he was on medication for seizures that he might need special help. Never mind the child is a straight A student.

Price for a loaf of bread at our local store: $3.05

Wow do you know how many loaves of bread I could make for that? Hmmm I think it's about $.30 a loaf for me to make it with bulk flour and bulf yeast and that's if I don't use sour dough starter which uses even less yeast!

All the smaller fabric stores in our "Big City" near by closed when Hobby Lobby moved in. They have cheaper fabric, but nothing like Wal-Mart had. sniff sniff.

I have a good red flag comment.

Went to the park tonight and that place was packed. People were getting $5 pizzas from Little Ceasars or bring picnic dinners and eating there. Before, we had the park to ourselves, but now it's cheap entertainment! A movie now days is $8 bucks a ticket, $15 bucks for a popcorn and a small pop. You could buy the movie and a months worth of popcorn with the fancy toppings for that! Talk about happy kids! Outside in the fresh air climbing and playing and running, not sitting on their butts being forced to be quiet for a whole hour for a movie they found out they didn't even like. Now that is a good for kids red flag.

All the smaller fabric stores in our "Big City" near by closed when Hobby Lobby moved in. They have cheaper fabric, but nothing like Wal-Mart had. sniff sniff.

I have a good red flag comment.

Went to the park tonight and that place was packed. People were getting $5 pizzas from Little Ceasars or bring picnic dinners and eating there. Before, we had the park to ourselves, but now it's cheap entertainment! A movie now days is $8 bucks a ticket, $15 bucks for a popcorn and a small pop. You could buy the movie and a months worth of popcorn with the fancy toppings for that! Talk about happy kids! Outside in the fresh air climbing and playing and running, not sitting on their butts being forced to be quiet for a whole hour for a movie they found out they didn't even like. Now that is a good for kids red flag.

Jingles, that IS a good red flag!! :) My friend across the street and I are doing the same sort of thing...we've found a local pizza joint where you can get a large pizza, breadsticks, and a 2-liter for $10 (that's after tax!!); we're taking the kids to the park, pool, and just riding bikes out front a lot; and we're utilizing the library a lot more, not only for books but for such ideas as kids' crafts, gardening advice, etc. We just don't have the money to spend; a lot of people don't. It does lead to happier children who are more tired at bedtime (hooray!)! :D

In my local grocery store - they now sell 20 lb bags of rice in store brand, plus 3 national brands. This is new, I actually called my mom on the phone when I first saw the store brands a month ago, and the national brands hit within the couple weeks. I go to the grocery store every week, even if I don't buy anything, to kind of look around and see what the trends are.

Sugar is now on the shelves in not only the traditional (for us) 1, 2, and 5 pound bags - but there are also lots of 10 lb and higher bags of sugar.

Not only are these things on the shelves, but they are being purchased. Looks like more folks are storing or at least buying staples in bulk. They have also expanded the offerings of flour in the last few months.

This hasn't just been the trend at one grocery store, I stopped by a couple others, plus Walmart just to confirm.

Not sure if this is a red flag or not, but it annoyed me so I'm sharing. Our Wal-mart's first aid aisle drastically changed. Very little selection now. They no longer carry any of the Kendall brand gauzes and bandages. Everything seems to be the Johnson & Johnson brand which almost all of is made in China. They also no longer have the Nexcare tape. They used to have a nice selection of that. I'm not sure what else is now missing from that aisle, but there's stuff missing. It is like they only stock the stuff you can buy in a very, very cheap, crappy first aid kit. I'm not sure where to buy this kind of stuff now.

Out-of-the-Ordinary

Hi - you might check a vet supply like California Vet Supply for stretchy bandaids, etc. They are WAY cheaper than wally world or other stores. I have pets, so I joined their buyer program and get all kinds of cool stuff. :)

This is not good at all as it will affect all of us since the sugar has to come from somewhere. Watch for prices to go up.

Cuba reports worst sugar harvest since 1905

By David Ariosto, CNN

May 6, 2010 12:19 p.m. EDT

Havana, Cuba (CNN) -- Cuba's sugar harvest this year is the worst it's been since 1905, the country's state-run daily newspaper reported.

Citing poor organizational planning, the report said the country's sugar mills face an 850,000-ton deficit in production expectations, the Granma newspaper said Wednesday.

The news comes two days after Cuban President Raul Castro fired Sugar Minister Luis Manuel Avila Gonzalez, after the official requested his release because of admitted shortcomings in performance.

Avila was replaced by Orlando Celso Garcia Ramirez.

Cuba was once a world leader in sugar exportation, but the industry has faced a steady decline since the collapse of the Soviet Union and the accompanying subsidies that once boosted production on the island nation.

:wormie2:

John

Edited by WormGuy

Isn't most of the store brands of sugar made from sugar beets? If so I wouldn't think the prices would go up too much for all sugars, there are a lot of sugar beet farms in the U.S.. I'm assuming the sugar from Cuba is cane sugar. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

http://www.wikinvest.com/commodity/Sugar

I don't know if this is true or not.

"In the U.S., sugar beets are grown year-round and account for 60% of total sugar production, while sugar canes are grown perennially and account for 40% of US total production. Both production processes yield the same sugar product."

:wormie2:

John

From past discussions, I've understood that, while much sugar comes from beets, any poor harvest in one country leads to a shortage where prices rise because their suppliers then come buy our beet sugar.

And some food items are best made with cane sugar... I've heard that fine chocolates are best with cane rather than beet sugar.

:shrug: Just something to watch, and catch on sale, if you can.

I almost talked myself into buying a 25 pound bag, but passed and got other preps.

I just got hired for a new job, yeay me! In talking to the hiring manager she told me the whole comapny had a hiring freeze and it took her 2 months to convince the VP to hire someone. I lucked out big time. Dh is still wit out a regular job, going on a year and a half now.

I almost talked myself into buying a 25 pound bag, but passed and got other preps.

I just got hired for a new job, yeay me! In talking to the hiring manager she told me the whole comapny had a hiring freeze and it took her 2 months to convince the VP to hire someone. I lucked out big time. Dh is still wit out a regular job, going on a year and a half now.

Congrats, Funky...I'm very happy to hear of this major break for you and your family. :)