MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Red flags for an arrived crisis - Part 16

Yikes, I buy sucanat, so my sugar is from the cane. I've been thinking of getting a 25 lb bag, so I'd better do it soon before it goes up too much.

Funky, congratulations! That's exciting news.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FP, that's great news!!! :cheer:

Yesterday, DH and I went to our local flea market. It's a great Saturday morning activity. :wink (2): We've been going on a regular basis for the past couple of months. DH noticed that a lot of people were

buying and selling guns. More so than usual. Red Flag to my DH who is a LEO. :eek3: He's predicting tuff times ahead both financially and regarding safety issues.

Also, 30 years or so ago, our flea market was the hub bub of shopping for not only our county but surrounding counties. It was THE thing to do. In the 70's nobody

had any money and the Flea Market was affordable. The shoppers have slacked up over the years but the past few weekends we were there it was deja vu from my childhood days.

I'm talking PACKED. This is an outdoor flea market that covers many acres. Red Flag to me about the state of our economy.

• 3 weeks later...

Not in reply to anything in particular but it used to be funny (ha ha) now it's just funny (weird). You know you're a "prepper" when you come away from somewhere where you've been secluded for a few hours (like the movies, or class or something) and see people lined up around the block at the gas station and YOUR first thought is "wow... did the SHTF while I wasn't watching?" :shrug::o

At sunday school yesterday we were reading in Leviticus and the subject of storehouses came up. I made the statement that I had family come to us asking for money because with 3 adults and 7 children they had food in their house for only one meal...... but they have a boat, cable and dish tv (so he doesn't miss any games), all the new DVD/video games, etc.

I'm sure that one man in my class preps but ALL of them talked about being better prepared. A couple of them thought that some cash in the bank was preparing and they are the types that already think we are 'mis-led' so it wouldn't have done any good to discuss it further with them. It did show me that some people may be better prepared than I thought and that it was a concern of everyone in the class to different degrees.

Blessings,

bb

Yes, I've been noticing that too, but I'm seeing it more of a fad item. I see them talking about it since it is on the news etc., but I'm actually not seeing any actual effort to do it. They claim to be too busy, not enough extra money to spend, and I've got plenty of time to prepare.....but it 'is' on their ToDo List on their IPad or Blackberry.

There's no changing them. They may get it eventually, but probably after the fact, so I don't even waste my time trying to talk to them about it.

One of the local propane companies called us today, which they have never done. They offered us propane for $1.55 a gallon.

Last summer it was around $3.50 a gallon.

We locked in at $1.50 this year. We mentioned we didn't really need a fill in May cuz we only have the furnace on propane. The office gal said since our price this year was that low, we might want to go ahead and top it off because there is no telling what the price will be in Aug.

:shrug:

Sales tactic? I'll ask our good friend when I get a chance to see him. He's a driver there and will know if they're hearing anything.

MtRider [.....just making these choices makes me feel like I'm at the poker table or some such.... :wacko: ]

We haven't paid less than $2.00 on contract for years. We just signed for next year. $2.799 per gallon. Highest ever. This year they are restricting to October 1 to February 28. Things have changed since a large company has bought up most of the small suppliers locally.

For NY State Residents, especially those in the NYC area who rely on MTA bus transportation, or anyone working for the state gov't or receiving services and using unemployment offices , and others affected by any cuts ...... its happening.....

http://pressrepublican.com/0100_news/x1996...orkers-all-over

NY's state legislature probably/may/ (will) not pass the state budget...... this creates a 'hole' in services .....

Because of the bumbling of them all in Albany, they are risking New York's stability because the hardships caused will only make everything worse and it's going to create worse feelings all around, for everyone. This will be much worse than a few state run parks not opening this year..... and yet, no one is really sure where cuts will go......

Creating a very unstable environment however, if the budget is not passed...... so tension will heighten here :animal0017:

It is a fact that there is a list of 10 states with major budget problems, it isn't just California.... sorry, don't have the list handy, but they are spread across the US.... when the state gov't won't do its job, this does not help the whole situation at all!

The difficulties are really starting to add up. :smiley_shitfan:

Anyone here get an SSI check or a Military Retirement check? Ours was a week late this month. The first day it was late I thought it must be because of the holiday but then I got to thinking and it's usually EARLY when these things happen. It was the 4th of June before we got our deposit.

Does the gub-ment get to collect interest on that money sitting there for that time?

Mine is due to the bank. It is 'there' by checking it online, but the bank doesn't post it for several days later. Could be a combination of both.

Gosh paid $1.33 a gallon for propane in May. Haven't paid over $2.00 a gallon in the last three years. I keep track of it. Felt good to pay the lowest price in 3 years.

NY State failed , of course, to pass the state budget.... my MHA will only be open to drive us to get things twice a week.. the unemployment offices are closed. I do not know if there is online capabilities still working for claims for those on unemployment. I feel badly for those affected, especially rurally where there are NO jobs at all. :shakinghead:

I am ok with mha not being able to do much,but I am stable and there are many clients who are not and depend on the skills classes and other things , that they now cannot attend. We are also isolated geographically in the county, as we are spread out all over.

I just pray they will be ok with themselves. But I also will miss seeing them, some , anyway.

I don't know if they have had to let go employees either or will have to if this situation persists and I know the county facilites for NY state MH are also heavily affected and hospitals, so this is a problem area that can get critical fast.

The MHA is non profit.... they cant help with housing stipends either anymore.... NY state has been great about providing housing capabilities up til this year, but it is affecting many clients and any newer ones now.

This is happening in several states as it keeps happening due to mismanagement... one element. Be aware of mood changes in those vulnerable that you know. Or in strangers .... doesn't much matter these days.... I am already having to be very alert when a certain person who knows me and my neighbor , a client who is acting out alot lately and she likes to show up still even though we dont want her around when she is like this. Can be very aggressive. I hate the feeling that I might have to physically deal with it one of these days, because reason doesnt work and she moves real fast on her feet. If anything we want no problems here like that. <_<

My sister told me that BIL's job has got a bit iffy. Can't go into details (don't even know much) except it is a mega high tech corp that has grown hugely in the last several decades. BIL always talked like they NEVER expected to have money problems from this job. Supposed to be as recession proof as they come.

A local school district the next county over was unable to contract the bread supply for the next year....no company wants to take the contract because the state is so far behind on its payments.....so the school board is trying to figure something out but may have to buy bread weekly from a local grocery store. I can't imagine how impractical that will be. I wonder if the school district that ds#1 attends is having the same problems....probably, they just haven't commented on it. Dh works for IL Dept of Corrections and he says that the food offerings for the prisoners and staff there has went way downhill.....he refuses to eat there (at least he has a choice). He wonders how nutritional the meals are......the state is still very far behind on their vendor payments in that area as well.

This is in Illinois.

Blessings,

Carie

My husband is laid off, if something doesn't happen soon things are going to get ugly.

I bought a 25 lb bag of sugar yesterday at Costco for $12.39. We had been to Winco the day before and they were out of both white and brown sugar in the bulk section. I didn't want that to happen again, so I don't know how much I might have saved by buying at Winco. Costco isn't always cheapest.

Interesting. Certainly not a shocker, however...

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5d06fcce-78a4-11...144feabdc0.html

On a different note, I went to Party City last week to buy Bible School supplies. An ENTIRE 3 rows of shelving was completely empty from the front of the store to the back! I asked if they were just re-arranging merchandise, and an employee informed me they were not.

[there you go, Urban. Moderators have the 'delete duplicate post' button. ;) ...good thing cuz I just duplicated on this post...sheeesh!]

Sorry to hear your DH is unemployed. Making meals with the basics is a way to fight back.

I met two full-on preppers yesterday. Well, I've known the couple for a while but we "revealed" ourselves to each other. Good to know others who are putting their money and effort where their mouth is. I know so many Prepper Wanna-be's. They know. They understand. But they buy fluff and nonsense. They don't stock up past an initial surge of interest. They don't pursue knowledge that will help. They.....stick hiney in air and head in sand and hope IT won't happen this year...or next. Cuz they aren't really ready to be ready yet. This couple is living it. He's gonna be 80 and is out using a chainsaw turning barked trees into firewood. LOTS of firewood. Can hardly walk but he's gettin' things ready for himself and his household and she's working her tail off in other ways. Good for them.

MtRider [....the time for talkin' about it has long passed by.....gotta be livin' it now. ]

Edited by Mt_Rider
[there you go, Urban. Moderators have the 'delete duplicate post' button. ;) ...good thing cuz I just duplicated on this post...sheeesh!]

Sorry to hear your DH is unemployed. Making meals with the basics is a way to fight back.

I met two full-on preppers yesterday. Well, I've known the couple for a while but we "revealed" ourselves to each other. Good to know others who are putting their money and effort where their mouth is. I know so many Prepper Wanna-be's. They know. They understand. But they buy fluff and nonsense. They don't stock up past an initial surge of interest. They don't pursue knowledge that will help. They.....stick hiney in air and head in sand and hope IT won't happen this year...or next. Cuz they aren't really ready to be ready yet. This couple is living it. He's gonna be 80 and is out using a chainsaw turning barked trees into firewood. LOTS of firewood. Can hardly walk but he's gettin' things ready for himself and his household and she's working her tail off in other ways. Good for them.

MtRider [....the time for talkin' about it has long passed by.....gotta be livin' it now. ]

Wow...that's inspiring! Thanks for posting it.

Went grocery shopping last week at Walmart and was shocked to find the entire three 10 foot long racks of ALL types of sugar were gone! Every single bag!!! I needed sugar for jam so I headed out to the other grocery store and they had plenty of sugar and it was cheaper than Walmart. So I wondered is it a run on sugar or was there a bug outbreak. Can sugar get an outbreak? It did scare me but good so I bought extra sugar at the other store.