MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

herbs for low thyroid in case meds are not available?

I was talking with my mom about possibilities. She is Sinthroid dependant at the highest available dose currently and we were wondering what we could do/grow in case SHTF and she couldn't get her normal medicine? She is trying to get some stored up, but it would eventually run out...

What other possibilities are there and is there any herb I could grow to help her?

There has been some discussion on that in the past here at Mrs. S. If you go to the search at the top of the page and type in Thyroid I believe you will find some helpful information.

I've also listed a few sites that you might find interesting. The first one sells Nutri-meds for thyroid and etc and it has gained pretty good reviews. Hope these help.

http://www.nutri-meds.com/thyroid_supplements_s/33.htm

http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_thyr.htm

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101/

:bighug2:

There has been some discussion on that in the past here at Mrs. S. If you go to the search at the top of the page and type in Thyroid I believe you will find some helpful information.

I've also listed a few sites that you might find interesting. The first one sells Nutri-meds for thyroid and etc and it has gained pretty good reviews. Hope these help.

http://www.nutri-meds.com/thyroid_supplements_s/33.htm

http://www.health911.com/remedies/rem_thyr.htm

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/natural-thyroid-101/

Sidebar please.............

OK here is my problem with using the 'search' -

everytime I try and look something up it comes back with the 'threads' it is in which is fine but sometimes there are more then a few pages to the tread (like this one some have more the 80 posts). So do I have to look at each post to find the part about Thyroid or is there a way to narrow the seach?

a lot of the time when someone posts a question (like here) and everyone comes in to see the answer - what we find is a 'seach' opition? It would help if the post that had the answer was posted so we all didn't have to do a 'seach' just to get boged down with tons of threads and posts to look up each time. ;)

ya know what I mean? :AmishMichael2:

Yes, I do know what you mean. Sometimes the search option is persnickety...LOL and that's the very reason I didn't put specific posts. It takes a lot of time. You can do more specific searches if you click on 'more search options' that comes up after clicking on the search button and that will give you the chance to search more indepth with specifying finding topic and/or in the post, etc. In this case though, when I typed in 'thyroid' some of the threads that came up were specifically labeled thyroid. Those are pretty good threads to read through.

Sorry, that's as good as I can give you with my limited experience. Maybe one of the other members will come in and help us out with this. :shrug:

• 9 years later...

I am so glad to see this.  I take synthroid and though I do have a small extra 90 day supply, It will not last. So I am so going to order the Bovine thyroid.  I am familar with it from working in a doctor's office, but most doctors won't use it because they say it is to hard to regulate.  Working in a doctor's office, I can say it is all about the use my drug and I will give you a kickback. Gotta love big pharma. 

• Sad 1

I developed low thyroid levels within the last couple of years. Well, that's when it was discovered anyway. Doctor says it's actually Hashimoto's. I take Levothyroxyne. I really don't feel any different when I take it or if I dont. I take it anyway. I don't want a goiter. I use iodized salt for the same reason. Actually I only use Salt Sense because of high blood pressure. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

I developed low thyroid levels within the last couple of years. Well, that's when it was discovered anyway. Doctor says it's actually Hashimoto's. I take Levothyroxyne. I really don't feel any different when I take it or if I dont. I take it anyway. I don't want a goiter. I use iodized salt for the same reason. Actually I only use Salt Sense because of high blood pressure. 

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis is an autoimmune form of hypothyroidism. From what I've read supplementing with iodine has absolutely no impact on the disease (re: formation of goiters), so if you buy iodized salt it won't really help in that regard. The biggest thing you need to look out for now is whether or not your salt has SUGAR in it! Some brands add dextrose to keep the salt "free flowing." While the nutrition information reads 0% per serving, it is STILL in there and doesn't have to be!

I used to take Armour thyroid, but my insurance changed the formulary and dropped it. Soooooooooooooo, I asked my endo to prescribe the other thyroid hormone as a separate RX. (One of them is T3 and the other is T4) The "problem" is that lab tests will show a "correct" amount of thyroid hormone, but they usually don't check for the conversion thyroid to see if the therapy is REALLY working. The two thyroid meds that I take are LEVOTHYROXINE SOD & LIOTHYRONINE SOD.

salt.JPG

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I don't mess with anything but the regular thyroid med.  I'm not at all comfortable with trying to regulate the alternatives.  I have watched Heidi at RainCountry ... she and her husband were able to take themselves off thyroid medications after they had been taking them for many, many years....but they're much younger than I am and I don't think I can make myself eat the way they do.  If life events go toes up...I guess I'll be gone from this world into the heavenlies.  Got too much food set back!  :pray:

• Like 2

I thought I already responded in this thread but I don't see it now. Probably forgot to hit send...again.

I don't do the "alternative to medication" either. Not knocking it at all but my body doesn't respond well to herbs etc. Having said that I do have some stored away if stuff hits the fan. And I am researching them more. It's my Plan B.  I do take a vitamin B-12 and Vitamin D-3. And a garlic gel. I have a capsule filling thing and a bunch of extra caps for when I might need it for herbs.  Harump, guess I just made a liar out of myself. Never mind.

I use Salt Sense because it's 33% less sodium. It tastes just like regular salt to me.The amount of sugars in it, I can handle. My Blood Pressure is very erratic and can get dangerously high or low in an instant for no reason at all. High = stroke. Low = I pass out. I use less than a half a box a year. I probably get more salt from my home canned food because I use regular canning salt.

• Like 2

I am slightly low in thyroid function, but it does function. My focus is on keeping it functional.  For that reason, I switched the family back to iodized salt when Fukushima melted down.  I don't care for canned tuna fish, but I eat it for the selenium.  I also pay extra to get it from the Atlantic Ocean, which is less irradiated.  People grow shiitake here, which is a reasonably good source of selenium, and I might join them a year to a year and a half from now.  And eggs, which I eat daily now,  would be  my preferred fallback protein in a scarcity scenario.  I guess that's not herbs, but it's what I plan to prevent low thyroid issues.

• Like 2

I also have the Hashimotos thyroid.  I cannot take the generic synthroid. Have been taking the name brand now for several years and though it has helped better, I still get very tired at times and have to lay down to take a short nap.  I ordered 2 bottles of the Bovine Thyroid health 130 mgs. from Nutri-meds and I am quartering them to take with the synthroid. If it works for me, I am going to try to wean off of the synthroid as I have never really felt right since I first started taking it years ago.  I am going to be ordering more very so often to keep the dates from going out. Though from things I have learned from drug reps when I worked for doctors is a great many meds will last long past the exp. dates. You have to know which ones will last and which ones must be used by the exp. date. There are a couple of antibiotics that you cannot go past that date. The only thing is that you have to be careful that you are not over doing it. So you must know your body well.. Heart racing, etc. says you are taking to much and need to back off.  So must pay attention to how you are feeling.  

• Like 3

Might have posted this recently elsewhere?  :scratchhead: 

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/drug-expiration-dates-do-they-mean-anything

This is HARVARD MEDICAL SCHOOL....not a "natural" type site.  They talk about the military standards, etc.

=-==-=-=-=-=-=-

" It's true the effectiveness of a drug may decrease over time, but much of the original potency still remains even a decade after the expiration date. Excluding nitroglycerin, insulin, and liquid antibiotics, most medications are as long-lasting as the ones tested by the military. Placing a medication in a cool place, such as a refrigerator, will help a drug remain potent for many years. "

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

<BOLD is mine.>

And aspirin that smells of vinegar....  Probably a few more.  Good to review at every opportunity. 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Check your medicine bottles or Google the med. Some of them say not to refrigerate. I can't find a list of which ones. The only thing I found so far is: 

"Keep the oral, liquid form of metronidazole refrigerated and shake well before use. Tablets and capsules are to be kept in a tightly sealed container at room temperature and protected from heat and light."

Maybe that's where I saw it. On a Fish Med bottle. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mt rider that is a good site about the meds.  I have been storing all types of meds that I know will go past the dates. Yes the asprin is only good until you start smelling the vinager. But I have had asprin that has kept for over 2 years past date with no problem. I have bought some fish antibiotics about 3 years ago and they are just now starting to go out of date but are still good for quite a long time from those dates. Worse case is that they could loose there potency.  I am going to wait another year before buying another supply in hopes nothing happens between now and then. Otherwise it might be sooner. Things in the world are not looking very good right now. Went to store to pick up DH RX and picked up a few sale items for my storage.  After Christmas, I am going to pull everything out of closets and change those wire shelves that I hate and put in wood shelves.  They work so much better for me. Having a list of the drugs glued somewhere on this site would be a great idea.  I will try to locate mine as right now a lot of that stuff is on dining room table for me to go through and get into binders.  I have started on it but things keep getting in the way and pulls me away from getting it done. 

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Jeepers said:

tightly sealed container at room temperature and protected from heat and light."

Might laugh...but we keep all of our extra "meds" in a heavy, black leather motorcycle "trunk (since we don't have the motorcycle anymore) and in our extended pantry.  Most of our fish supplies are in mylar vacuum sealed bags. Our OTC's are in totes...again...in our extended pantry.  Unopened.

• Like 2

I've only had to open one too. My fish got some sort of a UTI. I went to the 'vet' and she only gave me 5 pills. When that didn't do the trick I opened mine, of the same strength, and that did the trick. Hope you all are reading between the lines. 

I did a Google search for meds that you are not supposed to refrigerate and came up empty. I think there are only a few but we need to know which for emergency storage. 

• Like 1

Those goldfish and tetras....always have to keep them healthy. 

But yes....I'd love a well-researched list on fridge/no fridge....etc.

Guess we have to start a thread and "stick" it somewhere.  Not this thread tho...cuz we're drifting..... 

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 3