MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wagons Ho COMMENTS (Part 2)

Cat

AW! (((Mt3B)))) I *hate* it when I lose computer stuff. If it's any consolation....we've had sunny days that are getting in the mid 50's!!!! I'll try to send some your way to melt all that nasty ice......

hey wait...I'm in the Colorado Rockies at 9,000' and I'm trying to comfort southern folks about their winter weather......

:shakinghead: 'Taint right! Jest 'taint right!

MtRider [putting me to bed and might not be here IRL tomorrow.... :wave: ]

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here all this time I thought Naomi and James were Big D's kids! A maid and a butler? Out here homesteading? LOL...they must be good hearty stock and love the outdoors! I think it is kinda cool though!

Ending? What ending? I thought this was the energizer bunny story...it just keeps going...and going....and going....and going....and going....and going....and going....and going....and going...hehehehehe :lol::008Laughing::happy0203:

Q

Oh yea...btw...I was in town all day...hubby and I had dr. apptmnts...so I have to figure out something to post quick...might not be too long though, I'm beat!

Morning all... As you can see, I pinned the new thread up top. I'm not sure why it pinned below the top one but somehow that is fitting as it's really still part of the Big Valley scene.

I'm looking forward to the new challenges of trying to care for double the people in a wilderness setting. It makes me think about the possibility of someday having a 'survival' situation in real life and having the same thing happen. In the valley we have the benefit of writing in what the families are bringing in with them plus the resources of wild foods and garden produce. In real life we might not be so fortunate. Those people/orphans might come with nothing but a willingness to work and maybe not even that. I look at what I have now, in real life, in my home and have to wonder just how many people could I realistically care for without jepordizing all. I have to ask myself what I would do.

In the valley we had some prior knowledge of the arrival. IRL the very people I am bringing in could very well show up on our doorstep in the middle of the night if things got bad. Where would we sleep them? Could I clothe them? How long could we feed them? What about sanitation? How do we handle attitudes, personalities, disagreements, work load, and etc? I came up with two words, organization and tact.

I'm not sure about the rest of the writers but I know even if I do have the family coming in with 'some' supplies and animals, I'm going to be learning a lot about survival in that situation.

I hope everyone not only enjoy's the next chapter but also stops to think of what they would do in a similar situation.

Now I'm off to help Mom tend the homestead and maybe,,,, just maybe get my family off the pass. :D

:bighug2:

In the valley we had some prior knowledge of the arrival. IRL the very people I am bringing in could very well show up on our doorstep in the middle of the night if things got bad. Where would we sleep them? Could I clothe them? How long could we feed them? What about sanitation? How do we handle attitudes, personalities, disagreements, work load, and etc? I came up with two words, organization and tact.

Mother we have had this happen to us IRL. When we were college students (hubby went back to college in his mid 30s and the boys were 4,6 &9) in Graceville, FL it is just across the AL/FL state line we had friends that commuted from PCB (Panama City Beach) 3 days a week to attend classes. Well when Opal hit PCB they arrived at our door because they had no where else to go. The college was able to provided me with a couple of roll away beds that they used on visitation days (hubby worked on the grounds crew even then so he had a little bit of pull) They had 3 kids so we shoved all the kids into two rooms and they took the sleeper sofa. Thank goodness I had just stocked the pantry and we were set for food. It took a little getting use to but we made it work.

There were several times we have had to load up and go to my mothers when we have had ice storms come through that took out our power for days. She has gas floor furnace, gas oven and gas water heater so we just had to do with out lights. Wasn't the most ideal situation but again we survived.

I have learned that when TSHTF you do what you have to to make sure that your children are taken care of and they are safe. That doesn't change no matter how old they get. My mother is 83 and she still calls me when she hears we are in for a storm and say don't you think you need to load the boys up and come here?

Good Morning!

First a quick note about losing info when your computer fries...I just signed up for 2 gb free back up space. It backs up your files automatically, including your bookmarks (or favorites). Here is a link...

Mozy

It is recommended by the ladies here...

Food Storage Made Easy

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

Here is the list of people that I have with me in our story. I know that I had named most of them with letters, well now I would like to name them. I think that this will make it a little easier for all of us to keep everyone straight. If you think that this will confuse things to much just let me know.

MrGee (hubby/minister)

CeeGee (me/minister)

Ryan (oldest son/minister)

Eli (younger son)

Leesha (Eli's girlfriend)

Bon (daughter/medical assistant)

Ben (Bon's boyfriend)

Owen (Bon's son/6 yrs old)

Here is who we will be bringing in with the next group:

Major (Gee's close friend/ret millitary)

Miz B (Major's wife)

Ari (Major and Miz B's daughter/RN pediatric nurse)

Chris (Ari's husband/pharmacist)

Janie (Ryan's girlfriend)

Quinn (Janie's son/2yrs old)

Anything else I will figure out when I can get more oxygen to my brain...I have a cold and can't breathe! :fever: I did wake up this morning with a story going through my brain...so I am almost there!

Let me know if this adds too much confusion.

CeeGee that is GREAT!!!! I am so excited about the medical resources you are bringing in, and an extra military personelle too. We might get some help with defense.

I'm looking forward to that story. So many questions, are you bringing everyone in on this train,, on the next? Are you getting that church built and is it near the lodge or in the country? Of course, you don't have to answer them HERE.....I'll be watching the VALLEY for all that :D

LOL okay, so I wont retire. Don't we have any other ICU/ER/cardiac trained nurses around the valley or am I it????

Haven't wrote anything for yesterday and today. I have run into a wall. I think they call it writers block? I just am having a hard time coming up with anything? I know I have to write in what hubby is doing and picking up the orphans but I keep getting everyone all mixed up LOL! I don't know what to name the kids or anything!!! :0327::blink::yar:

Q

LOL okay, so I wont retire. Don't we have any other ICU/ER/cardiac trained nurses around the valley or am I it????

Haven't wrote anything for yesterday and today. I have run into a wall. I think they call it writers block? I just am having a hard time coming up with anything? I know I have to write in what hubby is doing and picking up the orphans but I keep getting everyone all mixed up LOL! I don't know what to name the kids or anything!!! :0327::blink::yar:

Q

Well you can always name them good suth'rn names like Billy Bob and Joe Bob and if it girls then you call them Betty Sue and Peggy Jo or how about Bo, Luke and Daisy remember Dukes of Hazard?

M23B slinking back to her little corner of the mountain snickering.

Hey, you come back here right now, you poor dear LOL. :girlneener::happy0203:

That's not a half bad idea lol... I like Bo and Luke. Never did care for Daisy much even though I have a dog named that hehehe. I do like the dog though...

I managed to bang out one journal entry for yesterday that I am going to post. WIll try to work on one for today later....

Q

Mt. Rider asked me to make a post to let everyone know that she's having major internet connection problems. She's barely able to download her email before her provider kicks her offline.

I know she's really frustrated because she has big plans for the wagons ho thread, but hopefully she'll get this straightened out soon.

Thanks for letting us know, Darlene. I'll check with her to see what she wants us to do.

MTR and I had a nice chat this afternoon. She's going to try to be on as soon as possible. In the mean time I will be getting her clan and mine down the mountain pass. (Couldn't leave her UP there :o ) I will post it as soon as I get it finished......(been a busy day).

Annarchy, CeeGee, ?, if you have family coming in on this train you may go ahead and tell about getting your family down. My own clan will be last down tonight and the stock animals will be coming down right behind us. (We couldn't bring them earlier as they would have ruined the trail for us all) The animals will be put into the holding pen at the base camp at the bottom of the switch back trail and anyone having animals will be able to find them there. I would suggest you don't try driving/herding them tonight though. They will be there with guards until you are ready to gather them up.

The empty wagons up on the pass will be leaving tomorrow to go back to the Rockin J. driven by some of the Rockin J ranch hands that helped bring them out and any of the valley folks that might be helping out. They will be making a turn around trip with MTR's family and anyone else we are bringing in. (four weeks maybe?) It will most likely be the last train of people to enter the valley.

Okay, I'm off to write a post and hopefully that will explain things a bit more. See you all at the bottom.. :D

I forgot to mention...For those of you who have thought about it being the 4th of July on Sunday in the valley.....Because of the recent arrival of all the new people, it's been decided to delay any celebration until later so that everyone can get settled in.

(With our country crashing, there may not be reason for celebrating that holiday but habits are hard to break sometimes.)

Mother,,,,, (going off to find her own bed after getting the rest of the family off that pass and into the valley.......)

I forgot to mention...For those of you who have thought about it being the 4th of July on Sunday in the valley.....Because of the recent arrival of all the new people, it's been decided to delay any celebration until later so that everyone can get settled in.

(With our country crashing, there may not be reason for celebrating that holiday but habits are hard to break sometimes.)

Mother,,,,, (going off to find her own bed after getting the rest of the family off that pass and into the valley.......)

What about a big get together for Labor Day? After all the labor we are putting in this year, it might just be THE time to have a big doings???

:balloons::band::darlenedance::darlenedance::darlenedance::bounce::cheer::band::balloons::bighug2:

Q

I'm seeing some problems with open windows, would parchment or vellum work?

I did a little searching and came across these:

Vellum making - ie: translucent skins for windows

http://www.newyorkcarver.com/scriptoria2A.htm#Parchment

Technically, however, parchment is derived from goat or sheep skin, and vellum from that of a calf. The greasy, fat-laden skins of goats and sheep were difficult to clean and prepare, and so calf skin became the universally preferred writing surface.

Making Vellum

Skins were soaked in running water for several days; then immersed in a lime and water solution for as long again, with an occasional 'stir of the pot' to remove hair and dirt. Next they were rinsed, stretched taut over a frame, and dried in the sun and scraped with pumice and water over and over again. When dry, the skin was cut from the frame and ready for use.

-----------

http://www.answers.com/topic/rawhide

Rawhide is a hide or animal skin that has not been exposed to tanning. It is similar to parchment, much lighter in color than leather made by traditional vegetable tanning.

The skin from buffalo, deer, elk or cattle from which most rawhide originates is prepared by removing all fur, meat and fat. The hide is then usually stretched over a frame before being dried. The resulting material is hard and translucent. It can be shaped by rewetting and forming before being allowed to thoroughly re-dry. It can be rendered more pliable by 'working', i.e. bending repeatedly in multiple directions, often by rubbing it over a post, sometimes traditionally by chewing. It may also be oiled or greased for a degree of waterproofing.

Uses

It is often used for objects such as whips, drumheads or lampshades, and more recently chew toys for dogs. It is thought to be more durable than leather, especially in items suffering abrasion during use, and its hardness and shapability render it more suitable than leather for some items. For example, rawhide is often used to cover saddle trees, which make up the foundation of a western saddle, while wet: it strengthens the wooden tree by drawing up very tight as it dries, and resists the abrasion regularly encountered during stock work or rodeo sports. It can also be used as a backing on a wooden bow. Such a backing prevents the bow from breaking by taking a share of the tension stress. Bows made from weaker woods such as birch or cherry benefit more from a rawhide backing. Rawhide is, however more susceptible to water than leather, and will quickly soften and stretch if left wet unless well waterproofed. It is quite effective when used for training dogs and also satisfies their natural desire for meat.[citation needed]

----------

http://www.answers.com/topic/vellum

Vellum (from the Old French Vélin, for "calfskin")[1] is mammal skin prepared for writing or printing on, to produce single pages, scrolls, codices or books. It is generally smooth and durable, although there are great variations depending on preparation, the quality of the skin and the type of animal used. The manufacture involves the cleaning, bleaching, stretching on a frame, and scraping of the skin with a hemispherical knife. To create tension, scraping is alternated by wetting and drying. A final finish may be achieved by abrading the surface with pumice, and treating with a preparation of lime or chalk to make it accept writing or printing ink.

-

Vegetable-Oil Liquid-Soap Tanning

This method is a modem adaptation of the pioneer method known as brain tanning. In earlier times, the fatty tissues of the brain were used to modify the structure of the skin, producing a tanned hide. Usually, the hide was cured by smoking it over a low heat, using the smoke to give the skin an appropriate color (tan, gray, or brown). This method uses a salt-cured hide (hair on or off). It is saturated with vegetable oil from the skin side until the entire hide appears to be translucent-that is, it looks like it has become clear. Once it has become saturated with the oil, the hide is submerged in a strong solution of liquid soap. It is allowed to remain in the soap solution with frequent stirring, kneading, and moving about until the entire hide has become opaque white. Dropping a tiny strip into boiling water will show if the tanning process is finished. A completely tanned hide will remain flexible after being boiled. If the strip curls and becomes hard, the skin is not yet finished. Once it is finished, the skin may be removed from the soap solution and rinsed clean. It should be wrung out as dry as possible, then worked over a dull axe head or a slightly rounded stake until it is thoroughly dry. The more it is stretched, drawn, and pulled, the softer the final product will be. The finished hide should be nearly white unless the tanner has elected to add a dye to the solution.

That is super information Leah. One that brings up many ideas for use in the "valley". I had actually contemplated oiled or greased paper as window coverings as that would keep out rain and let in some light. The only real protection would be from the rain though as it would take nothing for a 'critter' to come through it unless the inner or outer shutters were closed, leaving the animals/humans in the dark.

Giving the limitations of out wagons, large areas covered with plexiglass like greenhouses would be possible but very limited. At the beginning of this 'journey', though it wasn't posted, I estimated the amount needed for a very large free standing greenhouse, figured the weight, and the size and added some extra for windows on several cabins. That stuff is a lot heavier than it seems and when you add the plywood (I think I posted that somewhere) to protect it in the bottom of the wagon, and I had to do some real serious thinking. IRL, given the same situation, I would do it again because I know that those pieces are not coming in on mule train. They would have to be small squares if anything.

I considered Mica or perhaps using a hardened tree resin as an alternative. Somewhere I saw they were doing that but of course I can't find it now.

I didn't think of thin leather. I'm sure that would not be enough light for growing but at least it would allow light to see by without using fuel or candles. It would be a time consuming project just like any leather work would be but well worth the effort compared to setting in the dark with a candle all winter. YUK!

Almost anything we use might not be protection from wolves or bears, even the Lexan Plexiglass I mention which in some forms is used as bullet proof glass. It would only be as good as the frame that holds it. All the while I'm having the family build the roof of the greenhouse I am wondering if it will hold a bear if it walks out on it. :o That's why my windows all have inside shutters or ? for added protection.

Thanks for the links Leah. This is something to be filed away for future knowledge. You never know when we might need that knowledge for survival.

What about a big get together for Labor Day? After all the labor we are putting in this year, it might just be THE time to have a big doings???

:balloons::band::darlenedance::darlenedance::darlenedance::bounce::cheer::band::balloons::bighug2:

Q

I might have an idea for a big doings for Labor Day.... I will send my idea for Mother's and MtR's approval.

I just got done talking to Mt_Rider and she STILLLLLLLLL doesn't have her internet repaired. :o

She IS working on it though :D . In the mean time, she will be writing another post and either trying to post it at a nearby library or sending it to me again to post for her.

She says she really misses being able to read all our posts and will have a ton to catch up on.

She's been looking for that Mule Train that's supposed to be coming in and if she "finds" it she's going to bring them in so we can get some MAIL!!!!!! :woohoo:

I want to welcome CeeGee back. She's got some interesting people with her and I can't wait to see what she does with them. She's graciously allowed me to 'borrow' her in tonight's post. :D Thanks CeeGee!

I've been asked for a 'cast of charactors' from the 'extras' and I'm going to try to work on that soon. I'll have a few of the main ones but a few of you have your own B's people you use and you can add them if you'd like.

Writers,,,we seem to have some problem with the weather in the valley so I believe we'll work it this way. We do need rain for crops so go ahead and write your own weather in but keep it simple so that no one has to deal with a bad storm or ? If you live near a writer who has 'made' it rain but it does not fit in with your post please remember that we look like we are close on the map but in actuality we can be miles apart. Feel free to ignore the weather next door. :happy0203: The only time you will need to "react" to the weather is when MtR or I specifically TELL you that the valley is having a certain weather event, like the hail storm. You never know when "fate" will hit :laughkick:

If anyone has questions. or needs some clarification on anything, don't hesitate to pm me or post them here and I'll try to help at least until MTR finds her voice. I know that some of our writers will be getting involved in spring work so be patient with them. We will be writing as we can, some daily, some not as often. We'll just see how well things go.

Last, I want to thank Leah for her wonderful additon to the thread. It was fun to "hear" from another survival group. (I almost KEPT the chocolate :grinning-smiley-044: ) Thanks for thinking of it Leah :kissy:

If there are others out there that would like to do the same and "send in" a letter, please pm me with them and I'll work them in where appropriate. We have the mule train coming soon (we have to get Quiltys Jerry back to her or she's going to start looking for that chocolate!!) and that would have 'mail'. We also have another wagon train coming in in a couple of weeks and it will carry mail too. After that we'll have to see about having a 'special' messenger occassionally perhaps. So if you want to join in the fun but don't want to jump in fully, perhaps you would like to write us a "letter" letting us know how your survival group is doing. :)

Writers,,,, :grouphug: You ladies are super!!!!

Someone say chocolate????

chocolate-high-heel-shoe.jpg

I know someone who actually makes these! And they might be a bit pricey, but oh are they ever good! And he is a world famous chocolateer (sp?) who makes other chocolates that are SOOOO GOOD! Here is a link if you want to look around. http://www.chocolatbydaniel.com/ LOL I wonder if I could get him to send me another freebie box to the valley??? Hhehehehehehe.... :008Laughing::woohoo:

Q

Ummmmmm.. chocolate.....

Sorry folks, things here have been overwhelmingly busy. I've just barely been able to catch-up reading to date, today.

MIL had another TIA-stroke :( We'll be going to her place this week.

Oh, good news did happen this weekend with MJX IRL, M's gonna have another baby! They're so excited! :woohoo:

Congratulations to the new parents YEAH!!!. :balloons:

And prayers for MIL. :pray:

We understand busy. We'll be looking forward to your post.

(((((Annarchy))))))

Ok in today's post I make reference to a cord of wood. I just thought I would post for those that don't use wood that a cord of wood is 4 feet high by 4 feet wide by 8 feet long and that is packed tight. Usually full size pickup truck with a standard bed is only a half of cord of wood. I had to call my brother to find out if I was correct, before I hung up he said why didn't you just google a cord of wood. Well smarty pants it was nice hearing your voice but next time I will google it. He just laughed. Men <_<