MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cloth menstrual pads

Carmen

OK so I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this...but since it's MRSsurvival I"d think it'd be ok almost anywhere!! :lol: So I'm thinking about making my own cloth pads to have in my stores in case of who knows what happening. Now I use the Diva Cup usually (along with the occasional disposable method) but I'd like to have the cloth pads also. Right now I'd just keep them in case of emergency but I might end up using them in my daily life, if I like them.

So questions!

First off, anyone got a good pattern they recommend? I have a sewing machine so making them shouldn't be a problem.

What material do you recommend? My initial thought was to go to Goodwill on the 50 cent day and pick up a few flannel shirts, wash them (of course), then cut them up to make the pads. I figured flannel would be nice and soft. Would a few layers of flannel fabric be sufficient or do I need some sort of moisture proof barrier?

How do you secure it? I was thinking buttons or snaps? I thought buttons mainly cause I don't know how to attach snaps.

And finally, caring for them. I know I'd seen info on cloth diapering about having a bucket with cold water in it, and dropping the diapers in their to soak until wash day. Any reason this wouldn't work for pads? Could you just drop them in as needed, and wait until the end of the week to wash them all? Could it hurt the fabric at all being soaked that long (for about 4 days or so)? The bucket idea I like b/c I have lots of perfect sized buckets with lids that I've rescued from bakerys, and the lids are very secure.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

• 2 months later...

I love mine; I've used the same ones for about 10 years now skipping the preggo months of course. :D

The easiest pattern is to make your own. Measure how wide and long you want yours to be. Cut squares of fabric three times that size and add 'wings' on each side that are slightly longer than 1/3 of the fabric. Sew slits (giant buttonholes) on each side of the middle third to fold the 'wings through' and put a snap on the wings.

To wear, fold left side over right , left wing through slit, then right wing over all then snap around panties. Or do the right side first.

To clean I just soak put them in a basket then soak them all at once for a few hours then wash and dry as usual. Mine are just several layers of flannel all the way through.

Snaps are easy. They are like buttons with the holes going around, you just sew through the open spaces around the rim of the snap.

Cheryl

Edited by bibliomane
  • 11 months later...

Hi, I looked up the pattern at the link and have started making some of these for myself, but I am also hoping to have my daughters try them. My Mother in Law cautioned about the girls using them at school, she said they would stink more and wondered what they would do if they had to change them. Do you have any suggestions?

Also, do you keep the same pad on all day and just change the liners? I am trying to figure out how many to make. I have very heavy periods so i usually use the overnight pads for most of my period.

Thanks

I've used them for years. In my experience, even if you have snaps on them you will also want to secure them to the panties with saftey pins. They stay in place much better that way. Always soak them good before washing. A lot of times, I'll do long soaks...about 2 days and then wash. I've noticed when I do a long soak like that, they come out completely clean with no stains. If they just have a short soak, they get clean but will have stains on them. Use the dirty water on your garden. Lots of nutrients in there.

My Mother in Law cautioned about the girls using them at school, she said they would stink more and wondered what they would do if they had to change them. Do you have any suggestions?

Also, do you keep the same pad on all day and just change the liners? I am trying to figure out how many to make. I have very heavy periods so i usually use the overnight pads for most of my period.

Thanks

When I have worn them out in public and know I will need to change, I take sandwich sized zippy bags with me. Fold or roll the pad up, stick it in the zippy and seal it up. But honestly, I don't know that I would want to send a teenage girl to school having to do that. But for me, a grown woman going out to the market, etc ~ not a problem.

I would never keep the same one on all day. I do sometimes wear them a bit longer than I would a disposable...but just a bit. They do still need to be changed throughout the day. I always wear my thicker ones at night so I don't have to worry about it.

I can say this. I have never had a leak through problem with cloth pads. And a few days of my period can be pretty heavy. Sometimes I'll pull out some of my thicker cloth pads if I know I'm having a particularly heavy day because I know they can handle it better than disposables. (I keep all kinds on hand: disposable, tampons, and cloth pads.) They can be bulkier, but even with the bulk they are still more comfortable.

• 1 month later...

We had this thread a few years ago...I don't know where to look for the link. It was before the women's forum was here.

I modeled mine after the Australian product www.wemoon.com

I do a pre-soak with organic soap and oxiclean, then launder with like colors.

I find the most absorbent are jersey or light flannel.

If I have to be out and about, I will take a jar with a lid, fill 3/4" full with water & soap and pre-soak that way. Oxi clean is much more effective, but will leak through a rubber sealed jar.

Hope this helps.

I made my own once- I'm a fan of all in ones, without PUL. So I just traced one I already had, and used it as a pattern.

Picture_034.jpg

I take the simplest route, and just fold them up, throw them into the dirty clothes, and wash them with the darks. Now that I have a baby in diapers, I throw them in the diaper pail an wash them with the diapers. However, I started using them in college, with no space for a separate pail (or willingness to answer questions or appear too "weird"), and putting them with the regular laundry was just fine. That is, if you don't mind stains. I don't care if they stain, I'm just going to bleed on them again anyway. :shrug: