MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Romans 10:5

Darlene

Heavenly Father,

The month of January, 2010 has been a monumental, pivitol, life changing month for me. 2 major fasts, 2 minor fasts and I sit here now and am in awe of You. In awe of the work only You could do in my life...I've tried for years to change me in many ways and have a long, heartbreaking string of failures. So, when I look at the work that only Your hands could have made, it's very humbling.

My mind and heart have been overflowing with thoughts, revelations, insights, understandings, etc...many, many wonderful things and as I sit here and ponder it, these changes, this clarity, all of it, is attributable to one simple thing in my life.

You called me to be obedience...a girl who has lived a life full of rebellion and disobedience. Over the last few years You have been doing much correction in my heart, which has naturally translated into my actions. But there was one thing I refused to budge on...one thing I couldn't let go of because I was incapable of letting it go...no matter how much I wished I could, I never had the strength. This was precisely, in the end, the one thing You asked for. This was the defining moment, after years of working in me, preparing me for this moment, when You asked one last time and I said yes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still very vulnerable with all of this. I don't regret saying yes, but the healing from finally letting that sin go in my life will just take time. So, I've just been quiet for a while now, needing a coccoon type environment where alot of times there's just no words to say and I rest in the arms of my Savior who gives me rest and peace.

So Father, I'm going to be kinda short-winded this morning with this prayer. You know my heart however...fill it with Your presence so that all may see Your glory, faithfulness, tenderness and love in my life.

In Jesus name I pray,

5. For Moses writeth that the man that doeth the righteousness which is of the Law shall live thereby.

The rvbv writes, "The apostle now takes us into a great contrast between the way of the Law and the way of faith. He first quotes Leviticus 18:5, where God said to Israel: "Ye shall therefore keep My statutes, and Mine ordinances; which if a man do, he shall live in [or by] them: I am Jehovah." You ask, Why did God make such a statement if no one was to obtain life by the Law? The answer is two-fold. First, in the plain utterance of Galatians 3:21: "If there had been a law given which could make alive, verily righteousness would have been of the Law"': God never placed in the Law the power to give life! Second, the Law is called a ministration of death and condemnation: "But if the ministration of death, written, and engraven on stones, came with glory...if the ministration of condemnation hath glory" (II Cor. 3:7-9). It was never intended that people should gain hope by it, but rather that they should despair and be driven to cast themselves upon God's mercy, as did David (Psalm 51). Thus the Law becomes a "youth-leader" leading unto Christ (Gal. 3:24). Now, we humbly beg you, permit these Scriptures to "shut you up," - according to Gal. 3:22! God had a right to put Israel under the Law for 1500 years from Moses to Christ; and He did so, knowing they could obtain neither righteousness nor life by the Law, since both were through faith in Christ only; and, "the Law is not of faith" (Gal. 3:12).

Now follows a most remarkable use by Paul of a Scripture out of Mises' own mouth which he spake to Israel concerning the Law, and which Paul here applies to Christ. It will be best to quite the passage from Deuteronomy 30:11-14 in full:

"For this commandment which I command thee this day, it is not too hard for thee, neither is it far off. It is not in heaven, that though shouldest say, Who shall go up for us to heaven, and bring it unto us, and make us to hear it, that we may do it? Neither is it beyond the sea, that thou shouldest say, Who shall go over the sea for us, and bring it unto us, and make us to hear it, that we may do it? But the word is very nigh unto thee, in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it."

Moses, who had been with Israel forty years, and had been their mediator in bringing the Law down from Mount Sinai unto them, is about to die. He is leaving them not only the ten commandments, but also all the statutes, ordinances, precepts and judgments connected with them. Now what will be the natural reaction in the hearts of Israel, when Moses goes up to the top of Pisgah and dies, and Jehovah buries him? It will be this: "Moses, who brought us this Law, is gone! Moses received this Law from Jehovah, who came down from heaven to the top of Sinai in great majesty and display of glory. Now Moses is dead; and all we have left is, these written words! Our circumstances are altogether different from those of our fathers, who saw the awful presence of Jehovah on Sinai and heard His voice. Who will go up to heaven for us now, and come down, and make us hear this Law, in the same way our fathers heard, that we may do it? Or, if there be someone away beyond the sea, some wonderful teacher (like Moses) whom we can send for, to come across the sea and bring it to us, and make us hear it, that we may do it -."

Now Moses' answer to all this is, "The word is nigh unto thee, - in thy mouth, and in thy heart, that thou mayest do it." That is, the written words of the Law the people knew: they could repeat them; they were told to teach them diligently unto their children, and, as David did, "Hide them in their hearts," that they might not sin. It was all simple, indeed. And, of course, there were those, like Joshua, who said, "As for me and my house, we will serve Jehovah"; or who, like Zecharias and Elisabeth in Luke 1:6, were "righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless."

But the great point Moses makes with Israel is that there was the Law, in simple, plain words. They needed no sign, no manifestation; that had all be done at Sinai. But the great difficulty in the human heart (with Israel just as with us), is simple subjection to God's words. See how the Jews in our Lord's day kept asking of Him, "Show us a sign from heaven." (It is so to this day, and sad to say, the tendency to demand "signs" is increasing rather than lessening. If a man come announcing "healing meetings" (although no such "meetings for healing" are known in Scripture), the place will be crowded. History is full of spiritual wreckage caused by "Lo, here," and "Lo, there!").

Heavenly Father,

Words escape me right now, and that's ok. I do pray however, that we all might comfort and rest in Your arms this day.

I love You.

In Jesus Name I pray,