MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PoorMusician

sweet rice?

Was reading through some of the prep plans and saw someone state that they could make sweet rice. What is this? How do you make it?

I'm not sure what you mean. It might refer to making a mostly-rice dish that is a sweet side dish to a meal, or it might be the glutinous rice that contains no gluten but is sometimes called "sweet rice".

Here's the whole story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutinous_rice

Glutinous rice (Oryza sativa var. glutinosa or Oryza glutinosa; also called sticky rice, sweet rice, waxy rice, botan rice, biroin chal, mochi rice, and pearl rice[1]) is a type of short-grained Asian rice that is especially sticky when cooked. It is called glutinous (< Latin glūtinōsus[2]) in the sense of being glue-like or sticky and not in the sense of containing gluten; on the other hand, it is called sticky but should not be confused with the other varieties of Asian rice that become sticky to one degree or another when cooked.

(Followed by more info about it than most people want to read. ;) )

In the pinned post $20.00 WEEKLY PLAN TOTALS AND OTHER STUFF YOU NEED TO KNOW Nana, I think it was, says the following:

40 lbs rice = 60 meals (when combined w/ canned chicken or made into sweet rice or served w/ 1 pint canned hamburger & gravy from gravy mix

I was just wondering what the sweet rice is. Is it just rice cooked with a little sugar? Cause that sounds like an easy way to change rice up a little bit and maybe keep my DH from getting bored (which comes easily to him).

Just curious mostly.

A Thai dish is made of sticky rice, added a bit of sugar and served with a slice of mango on top.

It is the absolute most delicious dish and my friend´s kids would phone in before coming over to request this dish.

I usually add a touch of cinnamon to balance the carbohydrates.

I'll go for a couple of explanations.

1) Most Asian [Chinese/Korean/Japanese particularly] rice is stickier than stuff sold in USA. ...so it sticks to the chopsticks... ;)

2) There is a particular variety of Asian rice that is called 'sweet rice' and is quite different.

3) The reference you mention sounds like it means the dishes made from rice. Just any kind of rice. This might include things like "rice pudding" [which my Asian daughters think is a revolting way to treat rice, btw]. It's yummy and made in dozens of ways. Similar to bread pudding. Milk, eggs, cinnamon, sugar are the basics. A sort of custard. But you can also do it the mid-western way [hiding in a closet if you have Asian daughters.... :lol: ] Simply pour a little milk onto cold, leftover cooked rice. Add cinnamon and sugar to taste. :shrug: I also add almonds.

Buy a basic Asian cookbook to get MANY variations on rice dishes. Each nation has a different slant.....uses different spices. No boredom will happen. :yum3: Basic fried rice can be great to use up leftover anything.

MtRider [ mmmm, rice pudding..... :yum3: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

My grandmother used to occasionally make either sweet grits or sweet rice with the juice and last bits from a jar of canned peaches. I still only wanted it if I could use a strip of bacon for a fork.

Ok, so not so much a particular dish, but a category of rice dishes with a sweeter taste....

Makes a whole lot more sense now!

Thanks!

No there is more to it. We have what is known as KETAN rice in Holland. It was brought over by Indonesians, being a former Dutch colony.

This type of rice is very sticky and has a natural sweetness.

Googled a bit and found several links in the USA for Ketan flour and rice.

It's a world apart from regular rice.

http://importfood.com/stickyrice.html

Good website about this type of rice.

I make a Tibetan rice pudding, yummy, more like sweet rice soup. But that just uses ordinary basmati rice.

http://asiarecipe.com/tibet.html

Khir (Himalayan Rice Pudding)

Ingredients

1 gallon whole milk

2 cups cream

1/2 cup butter

1 cup basmati rice

1 cup sugar

5-6 cardamom, finely chopped

1/4 cup coconut, coarsely shredded

1/4 cup golden raisins

1/2 cup cashews

Ingredients

In a large cooking pan, heat butter over low heat. Add rice and stir for 2-3 minutes.

Pour milk into the rice mixture. Add cream and sugar; stir thoroughly. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, for about 20 minutes, or until the rice has softened.

Add cardamom, coconut, raisins, and cashews; stir well. Cook for another 10 minutes, or until the rice is cooked soft and the mixture has thickened to consistency of your like.

Chill the pudding overnight in refrigerator. Serve with handful of toasted cashews.

I like the medium grain rice that is grown in Texas. I grind the dry rice into flour. Makes really good sweet cakes and cookies. I'm experimenting with making bread too.