MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Help/suggestions, please

Jori

Okay, first thing out of the way. I know I need to go to the kinesologist but don't have a large sum of money to go current.

I think I am having some liver/gb issues that are manifesting themselves externally. My hands are always horrible dry but worse during the winter. This year they have huge red marks that are inflamed and I have cuts (similar to a small cut from a knife) all over them the really bad ones are around my nails. Lotion isn't doing enough or the trick. So that is the first think I need help or ideas on what to do.

The second one is I am breaking out and it's not a normal. It almost looks like welts. I have roscea so it could be that too.

But I need help!!!!!

This sounds kinda weird but it worked for me and a few friends of mine for dry hands.

At night put some crisco/shortening on your hands. Then put on a pair of cotton gloves and leave both on overnight.

I don't have any ideas on the break out though.

For the dryness and cracks on the hands, I use "Preparation H" liberally coated on at night, followed by clean socks to cover it up and not mess the sheets. It kind of melts in, and will create greasy spots... washes out, but... :( Prep H is the best I found after they stopped producing "Sperti".

Sperti used to include shark oil and live yeast, and it was a wonder product. Oldtimers still say it worked better than anything else even on the worst burns. It would often heal small areas overnight.

Secrets of Sperti Ointment revealed:

http://www.magazine.uc.edu/1102/letters11-02sperti.htm

Dr. George Sperti history:

http://astro4.ast.vill.edu/mendel/sperti.htm

You can try just plain petroleum jelly, too, used as above (overnight with socks).

I'm not sure about the breakouts. :( Has your diet changed lately? Maybe someone else can help with that.

Good to see you again, Jori... I've missed you! :bighug2:

Sounds to me you need to take some essential fatty acids. Something like Evening Primrose oil, vit. E oil, and some fish oil capsules. This doesn't sound like just an external issue. Sure, you need to use something on your skin, too.

Eucerin cream is greasy, yet mild. Putting on gloves with it will help.

As was said, milk thistle is great for the liver.

Milk thistle is great for the liver but be careful because if you have allergies to certain things, ragweed and (I think) daisies, you could have an allergic reaction.

If the cuts you are talking about are at the sides of your finger where the nail ends at the tips, DH gets those every winter. They can get mighty painful, deep and bloody. What we use to stop the splitting and help them heal is Super Glue. After cleaning the area and making sure it is thoroughly dry put Super Glue in the split area. Depending on how much your hands are in water you may have to reapply several time a day. Also the splits seems to be more frequent and worsen the more your hands are in water. For us it is just a winter malady probably due to dry cold.

Thanks! I'm going to have to look into the milk thistle, I have horrible allergies but it might be worth going back on allergy medicine to help the other.

The cracks are all over but yes the ones at the tips are the worst ones.

Thanks again!

Drink lots more water to help the liver, and -- do you wear gloves? If not, maybe you should. You might have a tendency to chilblains. These are worse in people with poor circulation, which it sounds like you have.

Thanks for the suggestions. Drinking more water is always an issue. I only drink bottled water. Feel free to giggle at the reason, DH flat out makes fun of me. Fish (and other animals) live and pee in the water. I swam to long, sorry. I can taste the metal in the water from most faucets, too. But I am trying to cut my vice of caffeine (coffee & soda) and drinking more water.

Thanks again!

Would it help to point out that every single drop of water on this earth has, at one time, been "recycled" through a living being... plant or animal?

:huh::blink::o

Ummm... no, probably not... <_<

:happy0203: Just tryin' to be a blessing!!!!

:24::24::24:

Seriously, I know that things like that can be triggered in childhood and are not easily overcome. Just *try* not to pass it on to your children.

Would it help to get a water filter, like the Brita?

Oh, Cat! I missed you and yes, you are a blessing in my life.

I didn't have an issue drinking tap water until I was in my mid 20's. I know why I even developed it. I would have to have the pools and spa tests weekly and I was the ones to read the results.

I drink bottled/purified/etc water.

• 2 weeks later...

My dd's hands get very dry and bleed (bless her heart, she's only 5), but the best thing I've found is Bag Balm. Lotions make her hands sting, but Bag Balm soothes them and they are always at least 60-70% better by morning. We probably should use gloves, but she would never be able to sleep with them on.

I also agree with adding essential oils to your diet. My extremely dry skin always does better when I'm religiously taking cod liver oil and getting enough vitamin D & E. Also, my brother swears by his multi-vitamin in keeping his dry skin at bay. He used to have to use corn husker's lotion, because his hands would crack and bleed.

HTH!!

~G&V

I went to the lady who does facials for me on occasion (there is a technical name but don't remember other that it starts with a "a"). She looked at it with the naked eye and with her magnification light. It's a severe roscea flare up (so that takes care of part of the problem). She is pretty sure the flare up is due to the weather conditions, hormonal changes (2 babies & nursing in less that 2 years & it was a year in December that DS weened himself), etc.

The hands are a little better.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Archived