MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Romans 10:9-10

Darlene

Heavenly Father,

Well Father, my house is warm once again. You provided for the man to come out and see what was wrong this time, and not only did he fix that problem (to what seems a permanent fix), but he also found some major and serious electrical issures that were wired by the previous owners, leaving this house incredibly vulnerable to fire.

If the furnace hadn't of stopped working again, the heating man would not have felt the need to dig deeper into the problem, and wouldn't have found a more serious issue than going without heat.

So my heart Father, is grateful. Grateful that this threat that was hidden and unknown, has been brought to light so that I can have things fixed correctly so that they won't hurt me or my family.

This is such a lesson in trusting You with situations that present one set of circumstances. It was hard not to react more strongly to that circumstance because I was weary of dealing with it. But, Your Spirit kept whispering to my heart to trust, so when I found out of the dangerous condition of some of the electrical wiring in this place, I could finally see, what You had seen all along.

It just kinda stuns me.

So I praise You and thank You for keeping Your eye upon me and mine.

Bless this study today Father...may Your Spirit work in each of our hearts, opening our eyes that we might see deeper and fuller.

In Jesus Name I pray,

9. Because if thou shalt confess with thy mouth Jesus to be [thy] Lord, and shalt believe in thy heart that God raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved:

10. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

In the 9th verse, Watchman Nee comments on a few words:

"mouth": "Christ needs our participation in Him. Since we have been made vessels to contain Him, we need to believe with our heart to receive Him, and to call on Him continually with our mouth to take Him in, thus allowing His riches to fill our empty vessel (9:21-23)."

"raised": "Christ's being raised from the dead was invisible; hence, it requires our believing. Moreover, although Christ's death has redeemed us, it is His life in resurrection alone that can save us. Therefore, only when we believe in the great miracle that God performed in Him in raising Him from the dead can we be both redeemed and saved."

The rvbv writes in regard to verses 9 and 10: "Paul speaks, then, in these verses - as if addressing a Jewish hearer: If though shalt confess with thy mouth Jesus as Lord [literally, Jesus, Lord; or, Jesus to be (thy) Lord], and shalt believe in thy heart that God raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. It is assumed the whole gospel has been preached to this hearer. And now is he persuaded that this Risen Jesus, was really the Messiah? And, though rejected by Israel, that He is Lord over all, - the Diety? And is his Lord? And is he willing so to confess Him as his own Lord before men?

With thy mouth - We remember that in our Lord's ministry among the Jews, "Even of the rulers many believed on Him; but because of the Pharisees they did not confess Him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue: for they loved the glory of men more than the glory of God" (John 12:42,43).

Then does this Jewish hearer, in short, being persuaded of Jesus' Lordship and confessing it, believe in his very heart that God raised Him from the dead? For Christianity, as we have said, "begins with the resurrection." No matter how thoroughly persuaded a Jew might be that Jesus fulfilled the prophecies in His birth, life, ministry, and death; there remained this stupendous task of faith, to believe in the heart that God had raised Him from the power and domain of death, of that which was the wages of sin, - the "King of Terrors" (Job 18:14) of the whole world!

Those thus confessing Christ's Lordship, and believing in the heart that God had raised Him, would be saved! The explanation of the apostle of what has happened in such a case is, that with the heart the man believed unto righteousness; while with the mouth the faith of the heart is boldly followed in confession, resulting in salvation.

You may ask, would not a Jew (for these chapters particularly concern Jews) who had "believed unto righteousness" have, thus, salvation? (Faith is directly connected with the word "righteousness" or "justification," about twenty times in the New Testament, but faith is directly connected with the word "salvation" only four times; and these four instances (Rom 1:16, I Pet 1:5,9,10) themselves, show that whereas righteousness expresses the present standing of a believing one; salvation is a larger and more inclusive word - to the sense of Romans 13:11: "Awake out of sleep, for now is our salvation nearer to us than when we believed." (In this verse our bodily redemption at Christ's coming, is inluded). And, I Peter 1:5: "Guarded through faith unto a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." This shows that although we do "receive the end of our faith, the salvation of our souls" (I Pet. 1:9), the word salvation in general includes not only the salvation of our souls, but also the consummation of our final deliverance at Christ's coming.

I do not find "salvation," then, connected in Scripture with any but those who shall thus be found in Christ at His coming. The words of Paul in Corinthians (I Cor. 15:1-4) outlining His gospel, are, "Ye are saved, if ye hold fast the word which I preached unto you." In the preceding verse, he declares that they had "received" the gospel which he had preached unto them. But this gospel was not to be let go. As our Lord says concerning the good ground hearers in Luke 8:15: "These are such as in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, hold it fast, and bring forth fruit with patience." In I Thess. 5:21 the same word is translated "hold fast that which is good." It is solemnly used also in Heb. 3:6,14 and 10:23. This is no argument against Divine election, or the eternal security of the saints. But it is a truth that must be, and really is, faced by every godly soul.

Over and over, of course in the Gospels, the word for saved (sodzo) is used. The word of our Lord is, "Thy faith hath saved thee," (or, A.V. "made thee whole - same Greek word). It is also used concerning salvation: Matt. 19:25, Acts 2:21, 16:30,31. Paul also uses this word in Rom. 5:9,10; 10:13, etc.

What we are urging is that we connect in our own thinking, and confession of our Lord, - the word "faith" with righteousness, as Scripture in the Epistles so constantly does. In times of darkness and weak faith such as this, the rescue from doom is uppermost in the believer's mind; whereas God would have his standing in Christ uppermost! How constantly we hear in a testimony meeting, "I have been, or I was, saved ten years," etc.; and how very seldom, if ever, the testimony is: I have been declared righteous by faith, and have peace with God. I am righteous before God, through my Savior's death. I thank God I have been made the righteousness of God in Christ. The old Methodists used to testify to their justification, - "justified state," they called it. But then old fashioned Methodist preachers, preached of coming judgment, of eternal punishment, of the sinner's terrible danger; and they boldly spoke of pardon as what the sinner needed. We believe God has given still more light upon Scripture since those days, but would God we had the moral earnestness and the wonderfully bright experiences of the old fashioned Methodists!

Again, we say, God generally connects faith with righteousness. Let us do likewise.)

It is better to let the Scripture language stand. God here connects the word salvation with the word confession, not with the word faith. Peter, in his second epistle, speaks of those who "had known the way of rightesouness," which is always faith, - and then afterward "turned back from the holy commandment delivered unto them" (II Peter 2:20,21); while our Lord in Luke Eight says of the rocky ground hearer that he "believed for a while, and in time of temptation fell away." Therefore, while in both parts of Romans 10:10, Paul refers to the man of verse 9 as the one who is to be "saved," it is well to let the verse remain as it is. The Lord when on earth among the Jews asked that they confess Him publicly; the Spirit still asks this. Not only Jews but Gentiles must confess Him; although the form of presentation of the truth in Chapter Ten is as it would apply to a Jew, to whom had been offered a Messiah, concerning whose claims he had to decide, according to several Old Testament Scriptures. The Gentiles did not have the Scriptures, and the matter of the presentation of the gospel to them was much more simple. But "confession with the mouth" will follow "the faith of God's elect" Jew or Gentile.

Now, as ever when dealing with the Jews, Paul turns to their Scriptures, and quotes eight times from the Old Testament, before this Tenth Chapter is out - thirty times altogether in these three chapters (9, 10 and 11)!"

Watchman Nee comments in the 10th verse on "with the heart/with the mouth": "To believe with the heart is toward God; to confess with the mouth is toward man. To believe with the heart is to believe in Christ, who was glorified and raised by God from the dead; to confess with the mouth is to confess that Jesus, who was despised and rejected by man, is Lord. Both are conditions for our being justified and saved."

Heavenly Father,

I love Your Word. I find myself reading more and more, studying more and more, the various books contained within...whether it be Old or New Testament.

I recently heard a pastor preach about how many times people will come to him for a 'word from the Lord', or encouragement, counsel, etc. He talked about how he can do those things, reaching out to touch other people, with a desire to strengthen them in their walk with You.

The thing that struck me and that I can't stop thinking about Father was when he said, "but there is one thing I can't give to you people...one thing that you, and you alone, have to develop in the secret place of your heart, between you and Him, and that is a "history" with the Lord"...

A "history" with You Father, is what I am building. The times in prayer, when it's just You and me, and where my heart is laid bare and You comfort it, speak to me, all the things You do. And in Your Word Father, I have a "history" with You there too...notes and highlights and scriptures underlined...things that You have opened my eyes to that have been like a 'watering well' when I've been most weary.

This "history" I'm buidling with You is what strengthens me in my todays. My "history" with You is something nobody can give me because it's incredibly personal and private. My "history" is growing in my heart towards You and is something I cherish very much.

So Father God, I ask that You would bless my "history" with You. Fill it with volumes and volumes of encounters with You, whether in my heart or in Your Word. May my "history" contain all the fullness that You destined in me, and I pray Father God that You would build, strengthen and expand Your "history" with all those who read this study, too.

For Your Glory, because I need and love You and desire that my life honor You.

In Jesus Name I pray,