MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Romans 10:11-15

Darlene

Heavenly Father,

I'm a little scattered this morning...finding my thoughts resting on this issue or that issue. You remind me to 'seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness"...

The heat's not working again lol and we have snow coming, but I think You've gotten me over the hump of feeling like my feelings were hurt having to deal with that issue. MAYbe the heating guy will be able to fix it this time...maybe not. Maybe instead of yearning for my furnace to work, I can ask You to let spring come early? lol If not, I have wood and I will deal with trying to heat with that, if needed. I need You to know Father, that often when I look at that wood stove, my heart truly is grateful for it. It's a safety net of sorts...knowing that if all else fails, with a lot of elbow grease, I can still get the house warm (eventually lol) with that. So, it's not that I'm not grateful, and You know my heart.

There are a variety of mundane other things that aren't even worth mentioning here, so I think I'll just open my heart to seeking You first and all that You are and see how You unfold things in my life.

But Father, if I may admit, I'm feeling a little blue today...not blue because of any one thing, just a little blue "because". In all honesty, as I've dealt with some serious things this past week, I have often noticed and gratefully accepted sensing that You were guarding my heart. When I lost several puppies to an illness the vet can't even figured out...when I poured money that I didn't have into trying to save the first's ones life, I felt Your peace that I was doing all that I could to TRY, and the rest was in Your hands. Maybe that's a little why I'm feeling a little blue...I feel overwhelmed with all I'm trying to do here, but I don't feel overwhelmed with having to deal with these losses. Does that make sense? I feel like I don't make sense sometimes when I say things like I'm ok, but in some areas I'm not feeling so "ok"...lol

Life is feeling a little empty, even with all the busyness I have going on, so please fill me with Your Spirit, Your presence, to remove all those voids. Your peace, Your joy are not things I can conjure up myself.

Trusting You, not because I have to, but because I really do believe my trust is safe in Your hands.

In Jesus Name I pray,

11. For the Scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on Him shall not be put to shame.

12. For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek: for the same Lord is Lord of all, and is rich unto all that call upon Him:

13. For, Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

14. How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in Him whom they have not heard? and how sall they hear without a preacher?

15. And how shall they preach, except they be sent? even as it is written, How beautiful are the fett of them that bring glad tidings of good things!

The rvbv writes in regard to verses 11 and 12: "The Scripture saith: the believer learns to love this word, "the Scripture" (our old word graphe!). The manner in which its Author, the Holy Spirit, makes the Scriptures of the Old Testament speak, in the New, is comfort without limit! And here is Isaiah 28:16 again, which was quoted (from the Septuagint) in the last verse of Chapter Nine. The Jews should have seen from that word whosoever believeth that simple faith in their Messiah was God's way, and that the message meant "whosoever."

They should have been warned also that inasmuch as believing was God's way - the path in which those who walked would not be put to shame; those who chose the way of works, of self-righteousness, would surely be put to shame. This word "ashamed" or "put to shame" is in the Hebrew, to flee - from fear. Those who have exercised simple faith in Christ, and abide thus in Him, shall "have boldness: and not be ashamed before Him [Christ] at His coming" - "boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, even so are we in this world" (I John 2:28; 4:17).

This "whosoever" message is further developed in verse 12, where we see the familiar words no distinction between Jew and Greek. We remember this as the exact expression used as to universal sinnerhood in Chapter 3:22; which is now used as to salvation. For, first, He is Lord of all, and second, He is rich unto all that call upon Him.

These great words must be laid to heart. They bring great comfort, directly to any Jews who desire the Savior, and also to the hearts of all of us, Jew and Gentile, because the universal availability of salvation is so gloriously opened out here, based as it is upon the universal lordship of Christ. As Peter said at Cornelius' house to Gentiles, "The word which He sent unto the children of Israel, preaching good tidings of peace by Jesus Christ (He is Lord of all." It is a great day when a human heart turns to this Savior who is Lord of all, for he immediately finds Him "rich unto all."

Watchman Nee comments in the 12th verse on the word "rich" and writes, " This shows that God selects us, redeems us, justifies us, sanctifies us, conforms us, and glorifies us in Christ in order that we may enjoy His unsearchable riches in Christ (Eph. 3:8). The secret to this enjoyment is to call on His name."

Nee also comments on a couple of words in the 13th verse:

"call": "Calling on the name of the Lord is the secret not only to our salvation but also to our enjoyment of the Lord's riches. Beginning with Enosh, the third generation of mankind, and continuing all the way down to the New Testament believers, God's chosen and redeemed ones enjoyed Christ's redemption and salvation and all His riches by means of this secret ."

"saved": " To be saved here means to be brought into the enjoyment of the riches of the Lord. The Lord is rich to both Jews and Greeks. All who call on the Lord's name enjoy this rich Lord; as a result, they are filled with Him and express Him."

The rvbv writes in regard to the 13th verse: "And then the great word by the prophet Joel is brought forward: Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved (Joel 2:32). Now who could miss the meaning of this simplest of all messages? Now, (if we should preach on this verse!) First, salvation is promised. Second, it is a be-saved, not a save-yourself, salvation. Third, it is the Lord who is to do it. Fourth, He does it for those who call upon His Name. Fifth, He does it for the whosoevers, for anybody. What a preacher, Joel! But note that Paul is writing to Jews, and is giving Old Testament texts. For Paul's great gospel message is to hear and believe "the word of the cross, which is the power of God." This message goes away beyond that of the Old Testament. Paul preached the good news of a work 'finished'. It was for the "whosoevers": and Joel's use of that word should have convinced any Jew of God's purpose of salvation to any one, to all. But Paul does not mean that his gospel was "Call on the Lord." His gospel was Christ died for our sins: He was buried, and was raised, for you: hear and believe.

These "whosoevers" should have taught the Jews that the way of salvation was not by their Law or any special way for them, but for any and all. Alas, the word "whosoever" was too wide for the narrow Jewish mind in Joel's day and Paul's day, and is so today. (And alas, also, there are those who insist that the Jew has a special place right through this dispensation; that he must always be "first," that there is a difference, although God says plainly in Chapter Three that there is no difference between Jew and Greek as to sinnership, guilt; and no difference as to the lordship of Christ and the availability of salvation to the "whosoevers," Jew or Gentile. If Paul were among us today, he would abhor and decry the special, esoteric methods of approach to the Jew in vogue in some pretentious quarters today. Become all things to the Jew, to win him, certainly. Paul did. But tell him the truth, that he is just a whosoever, and nobody else!

The terrible prophecy of Ezekiel 20:33-38 (read R.V. only, here) is about to be fulfilled concerning the scattered millions of Israel:

"As I live, saith the Lord Jehovah, surely with a mighty hand, and with an outstretched arm, and with wrath poured out, will I be king over you. And I will bring you out from the peoples, and will gather you out of the countries wherein ye are scattered, with a mighty hand, and with an outstretched arm, and with wrath poured out; and I will bring you into the wilderness of the peoples, and there will I enter into judgment with you face to face."

What the poor, wretched Jewish exiles need this hour is a Paul to go right in amongst them with a "whosoever" message for sinners, not a "literary-approach" Paul, but the exact opposite, with perhaps "bodily presence weak and speech of no account," but "provoking them to jealousy" by boasting in a Messiah whom their nation has lost, - a nation to whom God is not now offering a Messiah, but instead salvation, as common whosoevers, no-distinction people, ordinary guilty sinners. I protest that in Acts 28 God through Paul officially closed the door to the national offer of the gospel to the Jews, and that thereafter to treat the Jew as having a special place with God, is to deny Scripture.)"

In the 14th verse, Watchman Nee comments again on a few words:

"believed": "One who believes into the Lord will surely call on the Lord's name. Calling on the Lord results in immediate salvation (vv. 10, 13)."

"heard": "This implies that believing is through the word and is due to the word (v. 17)."

The rvbv writes in regard to the 14th and 15th verse: "But now Paul takes these two "whosoever" verses, and from them answers the Jew, who not only relied on his law-keeping instead of on simple faith to save him, but also denied that either Paul or any of the apostles had any right to proclaim salvation by a simple message, - a message that left out the Law and Judaism. If salvation were to come unto them that "call on the name of the Lord" argues Paul, calling is impossible to one who has not believed on the Lord; and believing is impossible to one who has not heard the message about the Lord; and hearing is impossible unless someone comes preaching the message; and preaching is impossible except the messenger be Divinely sent! And again Paul clinches it with the Scripture (Isa. 52:7): How beautiful are the feet of them that bring glad tidings of good news! Moses' Law was not glad tidings, but a ministration of death and condemnation. "The Law worketh wrath." But the gospel - "Glad tidings! Good things!" And God who knows, calls "beautiful" the feet that carry such news. Are our feet "beautiful" - in God's eyes?"

Heavenly Father,

I don't know how, but once again, I feel centered and at peace. The concerns in the opening prayer have not changed, except for the fact that they're not weighing heavy on my heart and mind. It's not that I no longer care, it's just that I have Your peace and it is one of my most treasured promises You have given me.

The emptiness and restlessness have been fed, and satisfied, through Your Word.

It kinda amazes me, but touches my heart too.

May Your Spirit fill my heart with Your presence because I'm in one of those moods where I feel needy...needing to be extra close to You today.

I love You,

In Jesus Name I pray,