MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Romans 10:16-17

Darlene

Heavenly Father,

My fire is blazing this morning and as silly as it sounds, I know it's because of You. I've spent 3 years trying to learn the fine art of firemaking and have not had consistant success, so after asking for Your help when I made it this morning, You deserve the thanks for the fire that is roaring right now.

I am still absorbing something that happened this morning though Father, that was quite unexpected. I had to call our cell phone company because my daughter's phone is no longer working. When she had tried to submit an insurance claim, she was informed that she had no insurance on her account. That led to me calling the cell phone company to find out what had happened because I have always carried insurance on our phones for years.

In speaking to the customer service rep, we discovered that when I had changed our plan last fall, the insurance on 2 of the 3 phones had accidently dropped. He got that issue fixed, which I appreciated, but none of that matters compared to what else transpired during the call.

Once again Father, I have to mention how often a situation will present itself that "looks" like nothing but a problem. It is only buy walking through that problem that I begin to see and comprehend how You set up that 'problem', so that eternal things could be accomplished along the way.

This morning, as the customer service rep was investigating what happened to the insurance coverage on the 2 phones, I began to run my mouth like I often do, just chatting about mundane things like the weather, my farm, my animals, etc. He began to ask me questions about what I do, how I got here, etc etc etc and I began to share how several years ago, You were the one that laid on my heart that infamous "pray for more land", and the journey that led me here, and alllllllllllllll that I've been learning along the way that I now cherish and hold dear to my heart.

The man began to share how he was facing decisions in his own life that would change the path he's always known. He has been struggling with a call on his life to go in a totally new direction, and so his questions about my own journey were in fact, questions he had about what would lie ahead for himself, in his own journey.

At the end of the phone call he said, "you have no idea how much this conversation has meant to me. I just got into work a little while ago, and you were the 3rd phone call I took today." I teased him about how lucky he was to get a customer that could talk up a storm like me, and he responded, "seriously, I needed to hear all that you had to say".

That kind of stunned me Father...I was not expecting that at all. Although it's easy for me to ramble on about my life up here...I have more stories to share than one could imagine. But I never expected that someone might be at the crossroads in their own life, and need to hear how Your faithfulness in my own life would bless them too.

So Father God, I pray for this man "Greg". I pray that You would do a work in his heart with the things You laid on my heart to share. I thank You for the peace that he seemed to receive knowing that there was someone else out there that had been brave enough to grab Your hand and defy convention, and step off that edge into Your arms. You truly are faithful Father...You truly are God and I love You so very much. Bless that man Father, as he takes the steps that define his own personal journey with You.

There are not always "appointments" made, when we serve You. We don't always know beforehand when You will use us for eternal purposes. The 'surprise factor' of making a call to handle a problem, that led to an opportunity to testify as to what You have done in my life, just stuns me.

You make me smile Father. It's no wonder that You, and You alone, are God.

I love You.

In Jesus Name I pray,

16. But they did not all hearken to the glad tidings. For Isaiah saith, Lord who hath believed our report?

17. So faith is from a report, but the report through the word of Christ.

Watchman Nee comments in the 16th verse on the word "hearken/obeyed" and writes, "To our human feeling, obeying the gospel is deeper than believing the gospel. Before we believe the gospel, we are first subdued by the Holy Spirit so that we will obey the gospel. Those who do not obey the gospel may become enemies of God's gospel (11:28), enemies of God Himself."

The rvbv writes in regard to verses 16 and 17: "Astonishing then, - refusing good news! Men will hearken to good news along all other lines, - business, pleasure, social preferment, ambition, physical health. Go to any stock exchange and see them watch the ticker tape; or behold the political candidates sitting up all night for election news favorable to them. But the apostle mourns along with Isaiah (53:1): Lord, who hath believed our report? Probably men's unbelief is the greatest final burden before God of every man who speaks for God, "Lord, they do not believe." They said to Moses, "You take too much upon yourself!" (Num. 16:3); to Ezekiel, "Is he not a speaker of parables?" (Ezek. 20:49); to Amos, "The land is not able to bear all your words: Flee away to Judah and eat bread" - you are just looking for money! (Amos 7:10-13); to Jeremiah, "As for the word that thou has spoken unto us in the name of Jehovah, we will not hearken unto thee" (Jer. 44:16-19). And hear that weeping prophet tell of his trouble:

"Hear ye, and give ear; be not proud; for Jehovah hath spoken. Give glory to Jehovah your God before He cause darkness, and before your feet stumble upon the dark mountains, and while ye look for light, He turn it into the shadow of death, and make it gross darkness. But if ye will not hear it, my soul shall weep in secret for your pride; and mine eyes shall weep sore, and run down with tears, because Jehovah's flock is taken captive" (Jer. 13:15-17).

Our Lord said to those of the multitudes that gathered to hear Him,

"This people's heart is waxed gross,

And their ears are dull of hearing,

And their eyes they have closed;

Lest haply they should perceive with their eyes,

And hear with their ears,

And understand with their heart,

And should turn again,

And I should heal them" (Matt. 13:15).

And He prophesied that His preachers would find "wayside hearers," "rocky ground hearers," "thorny ground hearers"; and then, in one out of four cases, a "good ground hearer."

Verse 17: So faith is from a report; but the report through the word of Christ - The Greek term here for "word" is hrema, not logos. It literally is, "saying," "speech," as in John 3:34; 14:10; Acts 11:14. Faith, indeed, however, does come from a report; and there must be a message and a messenger, sent of God; as we have seen. But Christ accompanies this preached word by His Almighty "voice," as we know from John 5:25: "The hour cometh, that the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God, and they that hear shall live." It is a "quickened" word, that creates living faith.

It is here that the missionary urge comes! Christ must, indeed, utter His creating word from Heaven to the dead soul, saying, Live! But in II Corinthians 5:18,19,20, we see that while "God was, indeed, in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself," He has "committed to us [Greek, "placed in us"] the word of reconciliation." So that God is entreating by us: we beseech (people) on behalf of Christ, "Be ye reconciled to God!"

Faith, indeed, comes by hearing. Do not imagine men will be saved in any other way. Earnest, prayerful Cornelius is commanded (and that by an angel) to send for "Simon whose surname is Peter, who shall speak to thee words by which thou shalt be saved" (Acts 11:14). "It pleased God by the foolishness of preaching [lit., the preached thing - Christ crucified] to save them that believe" (I Cor. 1:21 marg.). Note also that "faith cometh." If you hear, with a willing heart, the good news, that Christ died for you; that He was buried; that He was raised from the dead: - by truly "hearing," faith will "come" to you. You do not have to do a thing but hear! So there is God's part - He gave, by the Spirit, the written Word. And Christ's part, - He speaks, quickening the Word. And your part: "He that hath ears, hear."

Heavenly Father,

Wow Father...I can't believe that these are the verses to be studied today. Another translation states these 2 verses as:

16 But not all have obeyed the gospel, for Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?''

17 So faith comes out of hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.

These verses just seem to illustrate the eternal purpose and intent for my phone call to the cell company...so that someone, whom Your eye is upon at this moment, knowing their thoughts, knowing their heart and the cries that lie within, might "hear" the things that You've taught me through Your Word and by allowing me to walk out through experience so many of these things... strengthening their faith through that hearing alone.

I'm in awe of You.

In Jesus Name I pray,