MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cow Heart

I have 2 elk hearts in the freezer and was looking for something more creative to do than just fry them up...not that they wouldn't taste good that way though. Thanks for the link ol'momma. The pressure cooked, stuffed heart sounds terrific.

Also, ArmyofFive4God, do you have a recipe for heart stew? That sounds good too.

• 3 months later...

I cut up hearts in dice for stews. chilis, stir fries. I have to hide innards due to spouse who is reluctant to eat them. My fav way to hide innards is to grind them up, mix with ground beef, use in meat sauces, chili, etc. You can do this with hearts (eaasiest), lungs (these need to be ground and mixed to modify their texture) kidneys if well trimmed, and you hide brains by simmering them to make them firmer, then cutting up fairly fime and adding to soups, stews, casseroles, etc. Save the simmer water for stock pot!

anybody got more recipes for lungs? Ive only got 3 after 30 yrs of looking.

I cut up hearts in dice for stews. chilis, stir fries. I have to hide innards due to spouse who is reluctant to eat them. My fav way to hide innards is to grind them up, mix with ground beef, use in meat sauces, chili, etc. You can do this with hearts (eaasiest), lungs (these need to be ground and mixed to modify their texture) kidneys if well trimmed, and you hide brains by simmering them to make them firmer, then cutting up fairly fime and adding to soups, stews, casseroles, etc. Save the simmer water for stock pot!

anybody got more recipes for lungs? Ive only got 3 after 30 yrs of looking.

We have always baked the heart. Make a big pan of your favorite dressing [with lots of onions] and make it fairly moist. We use a tin foil envelope, to hold in the juices. Bake, 300 for 3 hours. Check, if too moist, open tin foil and up temp tp 350, to dry and brown.

I tend to overcook done, as I don't want undercooked organ meats...even from my own beef.

Archived