MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

The Rainbow Bridge

I'm home sick today with a bad cold. Started yesterday and got worse. DH has a bad case of gout in his ankle and last night, our beloved "VLD" (very large dog) got sick and threw up his dinner. Baxter is 120 lbs, half Great Pyr and half Red Bone Coonhound. Dave's had him for 9 1/2 years - since he was a little puppy. Anyway, Baxter tried to drink water, but couldn't keep any down. We stayed up with him all night and about 5:30 this morning, he died. DH is devastated. Friends are here with a backhoe to dig a grave for our "big'un" here at Brigid's Wood. Please remember DH and me in your prayers as we grieve the loss of our beloved companion and rejoice in God's grace in giving us such wonderful animals to love.

POEM_Gate.jpg RainbowsBridge.com

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Heavenly Father,

Just yesterday, I was contacted by someone who had lost their beloved dog to an accident. I shared with them, and I will share again here, how I've recently lost several dogs to accidents and illnesses. I comprehend the depth of the heart loss Father, and just as You reached out and filled my heart with Your peace, I ask that You will do the same, right now, with Alexis and her husband.

Like I told my friend yesterday Father, our pets occupy a very vulnerable place in our hearts because they are pure love and devotion to us. I've learned through my own dogs that all they really want is to be loved, and it's hard not to fall head over heels in love with something that will give you everything they have just for your love. For me, that touches places in my heart that no human can touch, so when I experience a loss, it hurts deeply.

That's why Father, only Your perfect peace, a promise that stems for Your love for us, can sooth a hurt like this. Cause Alexis and her husband to feel the glory of Your presence as they prepare for the burial of Baxter.

I believe Father that "For God so loved the world...", and in this world Father, are our beloved pets. I know that what touches my heart, touches Yours.

Bless Alexis and her husband...far beyond their expectations,and in the tender way only You, our Heavenly Father, can.

In Jesus Name I pray,

Oh honey, I'm so sorry. How difficult that this happened so fast, with no warning. I'm grateful that at least this special dog did not suffer for long, and that he had the two of you there with him to bring comfort and love to his last hours.

You and your hubby will be in my prayers. Right now, though, I'll praise Him that your lives were blessed with this special animal (and that he was blessed to have you guys for family!).

Blessings to you and your family...

Thank you all, and Darlene, thank you for that beautiful prayer. It's been tough; we keep drifting back to yesterday, thinking "he was here and fine...".

But it is a sharp reminder that we can't take things for granted: not pets, not family or friends. Especially not these days.

Awww, I'm so sorry. Having just 'put down' [i hate that term, actually] my beloved horse, I'm particularly sensitive to this topic. And I keep hearing of it lately. I pray that God supplies you and your DH with the PEACE that I've had. Amazingly, I can miss him without falling apart. Only God's grace does that. But we sure do miss our good buddies. :(

((((((((((The McKinnon folk)))))))))))

MtRider

I hate that we lose them so fast. I am so sorry. I just lost my big dog to bloat a year ago, same thing - couldn't keep anything down - so sudden. Take some time to remember him and I will pray for you and your DH.

It has taken me awhile before I could come to this thread to tell you both how very sorry I was for your loss. You see it was me and my hubby who lost our "Buddy" to an accident. He was hit by a pick-up truck and killed instantly. He never knew what had hit him. But he was truly my hubby's best Buddy. And he still grieves yet today. I cannot read Rainbow Bridge, it tears me up every time I do, but I take that poem to heart and I know that we will see him again at the Bridge. How else will the lion be able to lay down with the lamb and the child play with the serpent in the new Heaven if there are no animals there? I don't know how it will happen or anything, but God has laid upon me that we wont be seperated forever. That's all I need to know. I hope yall are comforted during your loss of your furkid. They really do feel like kids after awhile. Hugs to you both....

Q