MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Romans 10:18-21

Darlene

Heavenly Father,

I can't help but laugh with endearment at how You sometimes answer prayer...

A week ago, my feelings were very hurt because the furnace on my house keeps breaking. I'm fire-challenged and can hardly build a fire, despite a few years of lessons and trials and errors...mostly errors. In fact, It's 50 or below in the house right now (the thermometer on the control only goes down to 50 so who knows if it's below that), I just attempted a fire, and it's not looking good.

BUT! For some holy, strange reason, my feelings are not hurt. This past week, since I posted that prayer, the whole thing has become incredibly funny to me. I find myself laughing at the ridiculousness of the entire situation, and every time I walk past my wood stove, with a pitiful attempt at a fire barely hanging on inside, I say, "bless the fire Lord!" and continue on about my business.

I'm grateful for this laughter Father. I don't know if people are going to understand what I'm trying to say but in the grand scheme of things, it's all ok. I have no heat, I can't seem to get a good fire going, but...I have spent some incredibly intimate and deep time with You that has filled my heart past the filling point, and because of that, while I would like and need heat for various reasons, it just doesn't matter right now.

So thank You Father, for this joy that is in my heart. It makes no sense to me, but I accept it and am not only grateful for it, but am enjoying it too.

Aside from that Father God...I have one more prayer for this morning...

Take me deeper Father...take me deeper in my own personal relationship with You. Open my eyes, teach me, fill me with all that You are. Draw me into the destiny that You purposed for my life, long before I was born....for Your glory Father and because I love and need You desperately.

In Jesus Name I pray,

18. But I say, Did they not hear? Yea, verily, Their sound went out into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world.

19. But I say, Did Israel not know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy with that which is no nation, with a nation void of understanding will I anger you.

20. And Isaiah is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought Me not; I became manifest unto them that asked not of Me.

21. But as to Israel he saith, All the day long did I spread out My hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.

The rvbv writes in regard to verse 18: "But Paul goes on to mourn: But I say, Did they [israel] not hear? Yea, verily. And then he makes a quotation from a wholly unexpected Scripture, even Psalm 19:4:

Their sound went out into all the earth,

And their words unto the ends of the world.

(The use of the plural "their" - "their sound," "their words," here, is immediately evident in the familiar Psalm itself:

"The heavens declare the glory of God;

And the firmament showeth his handiwork.

Day unto day uttereth speech,

And night unto night showeth knowledge.

There is no spech nor language;

Their voice is not heard.

Their line is gone out through all the earth,

And their words to the end of the world."

"Their" voice is the vast chorus of the created universe, and of course plural. But Paul has just been speaking here of hearing coming by Christ's word. But Christ is Himself the Creator of all this universe! For "all things were created by Him and for Him." We must keep this fact in mind and allow the words of the Psalm to witness to the universality of the testimony concerning Christ. The emphasis on into all the earth; unto the ends of the earth must have included Israel. The "invisible things of God were clearly perceived from the creation of the world, even His everlasting power and divinity," - as we saw concerning all men in Chapter One, - but the Jews had immeasurably more! God had come down and spoken to them on Mount Sinai; then their prophets, and then the Son, the Heir, had come; yea, and through the apostles and Stephen they had had the testimony of the Holy Spirit directly from Christ on high! So Israel had indeed "heard"! Therefore, in quoting Psalm Nineteen, Paul holds Israel to the "voice" of creation as if no other people existed. It was their Psalm!)"

In verse 19, the rvbv writes, "Paul proceeds: Did Israel not know? - concerning this whosoever-plan, this believing-plan, this calling upon the Lord's name and being saved? Yea, even about this constant warning by their own Scriptures that if they were unfaithful God would extend His mercy to the Gentiles? First, he calls Moses to witness (Deut. 32:21):

I will provoke you to jealousy with that which is no nation,

With a nation void of understanding will I anger you

That which is no nation - compared with the marvelous place and privileges of the race of Israel, it could be said of every other people, "It is no nation, a nation void of understanding" (of the things of God). I will anger them - for Israel can be reached in no other way - either then or now! God seeks to provoke them to jealousy: beware how you palaver over them."

In verse 20 the rvbv continues, "Now finally Paul calls Isaiah again to the witness stand; and Isaiah gives a double testimony: he is indeed very bold in his prophecy of Gentile salvation:

I was found of them that sought me not;

I became manifest unto them that asked not of me.

Then Isaiah becomes exceedingly mournful as to wretched Israel's disobedient and gainsaying attitude (see verse 21).

How Jews could read this passage and remain unmoved, in their traditions, formalities, and unbelief, only faithful preachers can imagine, - who have had to deal with the titanic possibilities of evil and unbelief in the human heart.

As showing how far Christendom has lost the whole spirit of the gospel, we remind you that everywhere people have the idea they ought to "seek" salvation; they are everywhere told they ought to "go to church." (It is an excellent thing to go where God's saints gather; and to "meetings" for unsaved people. But attending meetings saves no one. There is a Savior! And good news about Him to be believed for yourself!)

How many now reading these words believe that Romans 10:20 is God's program for this Gentile day? You say, Should we not seek God? No! You should sit down and hear what is written in Romans: first, about your guilt, then about your helplessness, and then about the inability of the Law to do anything but condemn you; and then believe on Christ whom God hath sent; and then praise God for righteousness apart from works, apart from ordinances! hear how God laid sin, your sin, on a Substitute, His own Son, Jesus Christ our Lord, and that now, sin being put away, God has raised Him from the dead. Seek God? No! God is the Seeker, and He has sought and is now seeking those that asked not of Him, and has been found of those who sought Him not! - but simply heard the good news and believed! Praise His Holy Name!"

Finally, in verse 21, the rvbv writes, "But, alas, poor Israel! Jehovah, through Isaiah, speaks thus of them: All the day long did I spread out my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people (Isa. 65:2). What yearning, what love, what pleading, what patience! And it is The Creator, God Himself, here, spreading out His hands! Towards whom? Towards a disobedient people; a people that, being rebuked, did deny and gainsay their prophets, and even their own Messiah, - as htey do unto this day! ("And he (Manasseh) set the graven image of the idol, which he had made, in the house of God, of which God said to David and to Solomon his son, 'In this house, and in Jerualem, which I have chosen out of all the tribes of Israel, will I put my name forever':...And Manasseh seduced Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so that they did evil more than did the nations whom Jehovah destroyed before the children of Israel."

"All the chiefs of the priests, and the people, trespassed very greatly after all the abominations of the nations; and they polluted the house of Jehovah which He had hallowed in Jerusalem. And Jehovah, the God of their fathers, sent to them by his messengers, rising up early and sending, because He had compassion on His people, and on His dwelling-place." But alas, we read: "They mocked the messengers of God, and despised His words, and scoffed at His prophets, until the wrath of Jehovah arose against His people, till there was no remedy" (II Chron. 33:7,9; 36:14-16.)"

Heavenly Father,

May Your Kingdome come and may Your will be done here on earth, and each of our lives today. Feed us the 'manna' that each of us needs spiritually, to grow us closer to You because You are our Heavenly Father.

Bless my little fire Father...both in the natural, and in the spirit.

In Jesus Name I pray,