MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lipitor Alternative

LindaLou

I can't remember now what forum I read the post that somebody was having issues with Lipitor similar to mine. I have been concerned about taking the drug for a while since I wanted to try to use diet to control the issue but my doctor didn't want to allow that option. Although I don't eat much red meat, cheese, fat, etc., am not overweight and exercise daily, my family history (genes) make cholesterol an issue. My husband was listening to Michael Savage the other day and he was talking about how bad Lipitor is for you (if nothing else they have to monitor your liver function while you are on it). It seems like the cure is worse than the disease. Michael Savage said something about vitamin B6. Anybody have any natural suggestions for maintaining good cholestrerol numbers? I have a close friend who is also athletic and whose doctor allowed him six months doing nothing but diet and monitored him regularly to make sure he kept his numbers down...no red meat other than game, no butter, cheese, only soy milk, etc. and he has been on his diet regime for probably 5 years now (his problem is the same as mine...genes) and his numbers are good. I feel like I really need to take control of my health care here. I have started taking Cholestoff and bought some red yeast rice but haven't started taking that yet. I asked the doctor about the red yeast rice based on what I had read about it on the Internet but his response was, yes, it is a natural cholesterol inhibitor but why pay the price when your insurance cover the the Lipitor.

I would appreciate any input to help with my decision making.

• 6 months later...

I hate Lipitor, I took it for a few motnhs only and wound up with early stages of cyrosis of the lvier, got off of it and it was cured.

Natural remedies for high cholesterol=

cayenne pepper, cinnamon, ginseng, lemon grass, grapes, burdock, evening primrose, cowslip

Lipitor is not a great drug. Also - add to the side effects possible neropathy and muscle weakness (prone in diabetics) and you've got a disaster.

High fiber also helps lower cholesterol. B12 also gives energy and speeds up the processing of lipids. We order liquid B12 from www.b12shots.com and inject shots ourselves.

I hadn't heard of the B12, but after this weeks experience with B3 I doubt he will be trying it!

B3 - also known as Nicotinic acid or more commonly known as niacin. having said that - BIG warning!

DH didn't want the side effects of lipitor or other drugs, so asked for a drugfree alternative from his GP and was prescribed Nicotinic acid. Warning with it - you might get a hot flush and a feeling of prickly heat the first few times you use it. 1st tablet - hot flush and mild prickly heat, got over it fairly quick. Second dose - hot flush, prickly heat, nausea and convulsing. I rang the ambulance, he was taken to hospital and kept for obseration over night. Apparently he had a very rare reaction to the nicotinic acid. back to the drugs for DH!!

Eating at least 1/2 gram of honey comb on a biscuit or toast every morning is 'natural' polycosanol. It's been proven to reduce cholesterol as well.

I just toast an english muffin and then spread the honeycomb on the toast to get it to melt, then pout a little raw honey over it and eat it like that.

Archived