MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Kelly

Sams has fruit bushes

I don't know if they have had these before or not but I made a trip to Sams today and they had 4 packs of berry bushes & vines. I bought a 4 pack of blueberry bushes that are 2 yrs. old for $15.88. They look good and have leaves on. Now if I can keep them alive until it warms up enough to put them outside. They had combo packs that had 1-blueberry,1-blackberry,1-grape and 1-raspberry in them also.

I saw right before the snow hit (so. . . .Friday before last) that the local Home Depot Garden Center likewise had berries and even grapes. I thought it was far to early for our area, but made a note to myself, as my raspberries caught a virus and most of them had to be destroyed last year . . .

Are they anticipating more people doing plantings of some sort this spring? It does seem far to early for them to have anything out here but I haven't gone anywhere for the last few days to look.

Remember that you need two different kinds of blueberries to cross-pollinate. Check to see if you have two kinds in the pack. If not, you'll need to get another bush from somewhere. Northport isn't that far from Tyty GA, so their stuff might be excellently adapted to your area.

Plant your blueberries in sour soil to do best. You can run a lawn mower back and forth over pine needles to produce a good souring soil additive, or just add in lots of peat moss. Blueberries grow well among pines, so long as they have some sun.

Raspberries tend not to do very well around pines, though my experience with them is rather limited. They are supposed to be one of the few things that grow well within the dripline of a black walnut tree--but again need some sun.

Make a record of your exact cultivars. It makes a difference when you're looking up how to prune them.

These blueberries do have 2 different kinds. 2 of each type. But thanks I didn't know you had to have 2 different kinds!

I have to give these bushes a thumbs DOWN. DH got some a few years back and they never grew, even though we followed all the directions.

Largely, here's the reason:

Most local nurseries raise the starts in a greenhouse and gradually harden off the plants for a few weeks. They are also local and acclimated to the weather in the area.

Most commercial growers toss the cuttings into a truck and let them harden off on the trip to the store - sometimes out of the plant's native zone. They are then placed in an ambient temperature, NOT something normal for the plant. Is it any wonder so few survive?

I'm ordering this year from a local nursery and paying a bit more, but they guarantee their plants. I'm NEVER buying from Costco/Sam's again anything that goes into the ground...

Fresh flowers & plants are fine...just not seedlings or cuttings.

JMHO.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.