MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Romans 11:7-10

Darlene

Heavenly Father,

There is much that lays on my heart that I have ongoing talks with You about, I feel a quietness laying on my heart and a desire to 'abide' in You so this morning this prayer will be short, but the study itself will be complete.

Bless the study Father. May it honor You and speak Your pure truth.

In Jesus Name I pray,

7. What then? That which Israel is in search of [righteousness], that he [the nation] obtained not; but the election ordained it, and the rest were hardened:

8. According as it is written, God gave them a spirit of drowsiness, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear, unto this very day.

9. And David saith,

Let their table be made a sname, and a trap,

And a stumbling block, and a recompense unto them,

10. Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see,

And bow Thou down their back always.

The rvbv writes in regard to verse 7: "Here, then, in this chapter, is the very height of Divine sovereignty: not only electing people, but even deciding the very time when they should come on the scene of this world's history. "Israel after the flesh" nationally was in search of righteousness, - that was their very business, in the preservation and application of the Law. But that was not the way of righteousness. We have seen that their own Scriptures set forth that "calling on the name of the Lord," and believing on the "Stone" (Christ) at whom others in legality "stumbled," was the true way. So the nation obtained not righteousness. But the election obtained it. And, as to the rest? God's answer is, they were hardened.

But remember Chapter Nine and do not "reply against" God, - and hear a "Thou - who are though?" from Him; but note carefully, how and why they were thus "hardened."

Verse 8: Paul now says (quoting Isa. 29:10): According as it is written, God gave them a spirit of stupor, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear, unto this very day.

The process of that awful thing, spiritual hardening, is thus depicted in Israel as nowhere else, for hearts harden most quickly when men are trusting in their place of special privilege, without fellowship with the God who gives it. (Thus, we fear, it is with thousands in Christendom, and even among those who have the Lord's table most frequently before them. What but a deadly snare to the soul is the table of the Lord, without real communion with the Lord of the table!)

Verse 9: So it is written of Israel's "table": Let their table be made a snare. This is quoted from David, in Ps. 69:22, and evidently refers to the "table" at which the Israelites were privileged to eat with Jehovah. This was indeed a high and special privilege which Israel had: they ate with God. In Exodus 24:11, we read: "They saw God and did eat and drink"; and from Passover of Exodus 12 onward, they ate in their sacred feasts. We know the priests "ate befoer God": Leviticus 6:16; 7:18,20. But not only was this true of the priests, but of the people in their peace offerings (Lev. 7:18,19; 23:6); and in their feasts, as in Leviticus 23:6 and Numbers 15:17-21; 18:26,30,31; Deuteronomy 12:7,18; 14:23; 27:7.

For the "table" of the Israelite was connected by Jehovah with Himself. Certain things the Israelite might eat, otehrs not; because he was one of a holy nation unto Jehovah. But the Israelite quickly began to trust not in Jehovah, but in his manner of eating, as did Peter: "Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common and unclean." Without true faith, therefore, their very table of privilege became a snare. (An ominous comment on this - this "table made a sname," - is the story of the Last Supper: Judas was, it appears, sitting so near to Jesus, that "the sop," which should mark the betrayer, was handed to him without attracting the attention of the rest. (It has been my own belief that, while John was sitting on one side of our Lord, Judas was on the other side! It was the hideous presumption of callous sin.) "And after the sop, then entered Satan into him." And, "having received the sop, he went out...and it was night" (John 13:21-30). Judas typifies Israel. Indeed, he so became the spiritual representative of apostate Israel that rejected Christ, that we need only turn to that 69th Psalm, (Christ's great "reproach" Psalm) from which Paul is quoting here in Romans 11:9,10, to see this. The 21st verse of this Psalm says, "In My thirst they gave Me vinegar to drink." Evidently it is Christ speaking. Then verse 22, and following: "Let their table become a sname," - and through verse 28, that wicked generation, symbolized in Judas, is shown. And just as Satan entered into Judas at the table, - when he presumed most on his place as a chosen apostle, so it was Israel's very relationship to, knowledge of, and communion with, Jehovah, at their feasts and temples, that they presumed upon! Read Jeremiah 7:1-11).

It is to be noted carefully that each time the solemn Sixth of Isaiah is quoted, the sovereignty of God in hardening whom He will is increasingly emphasized. We see in Matthew 13:15, that it is the people's heart that had "waxed gross": their ears were "dull of hearing" because of lack of interest; their eyes they had closed, not desiring to turn and understand, lest they should perceive, and hear, understand, turn, and be healed of God! Then in the fourth Godpel, at the end of our Lord's public testimony, (John 12:39): "they could not believe, for that Isaiah said,

"He hath blinded their eyes, and He hardened their heart;

Lest they should see with their eyes, and perceive with their heart;

And should turn,

And I should heal them."

This is judicial action, following the people's attitude.

In the third occurrence of the words of Isaiah Six (in Acts 28), Paul officially shuts the door to national Israel: "Well spake the Holy Spirit through Isaiah the prophet unto your fathers," - quoting this Isaiah Six, and declaring: "Be it known therefore unto you, that this salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles: they also will hear." (Since this awful use of Isaiah 6, the gospel has no Jewish bounds or bonds whatever! And it is presumption and danger, now, to give the Jews any other place than that of common sinners! "No distinction between Jew and Greek," says God. Those that preach thus, have God's blessing. Those that would give any special place whatever to Jews, since that day, do so contrary to the gospel; and, we fear, for private advantage. Tell Jews the truth! Their Messiah was offered to their nation, and rejected. And God is not offering a Messiah to Israel now, but has Himself rejected them: all except a "remnant," who leave Jewish earthly hopes, break down into sinners only, and receive a sinner's Savior, - not a "Jewish" one! Then they become "partakers of a heavenly calling."

Verse 10": As to Israel, nationally, it is written, Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, And bow Thou down their back always. It will be so until that future day, described in Zechariah 12:10, when God "pours upon them the Spirit of grace and of supplication, and they look unto Him whom they have pierced."

We dare not believe in any of the modern reports of national Jewish "turning to the Lord." They will go into yet greater darkness (after the Rapture of the Church). There will be the former evil spirit of idolatry "taking with itself seven other spirits more wicked than itself," entering in and dwelling in this present evil generation of Israel! (Matt. 12:45). Do not be deceived. At our Lord's coming, and not until that beleagured nation sees "the sign of the Son of Man in Heaven" (Matt. 24:30), - which will be that "looking upon Him whom they pierced" of Zechariah 12, will they have faith. Thomas, in John 20, who "would not believe except he see in Christ's hands the print of the nails," is an exact type of the coming conversation of Israel. Until then, let us "provoke to jealousy" all of them we can, by boasting in Christ and His Salvation; and so we may save a few of them, - as sinners, the "Remnant according to the election of Grace."

Heavenly Father,

I share studies like above and am just left with such a seriousness about our salvation.

Move in Your childrens lives Father...may Your mercy, compassion and grace surround and protect each and every one of us because You are Who You say You are, and so much more that we can't comprehend.

I love You.

In Jesus Name I pray,