MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Romans 11:23-24

Darlene

Heavenly Father,

I'm feeling a little stumped this morning. I say alot that I don't know what to say, and that's happening again this morning. A part of me just wants to sit and rest in Your presence, pondering all You are and all You've saved me from...

I often think about how my life would be without You in it compared to You actually being my Holy Heavenly Father, my God, my Savior, my Everything. It's actually a skerry thought because I've learned to depend on You in so many little ways, as well as the big ways. I notice Your hand woven into my life so much. Just the other day when the latest snow storm was producing a white out here, I had to run out to get some feed for the animals because I knew it would be a day or two before I could get back out and their feed was low...

I had just been there 2 days prior and picked up the majority of things I needed, but they were out of the dog food I feed my dogs and puppies. They were supposed to get a shipment in that day later in the morning/early afternoon. So I stopped by to pick up some more pig food when the girl told me that the dog food had just come in and they were currently unloading it.

That is such a little thing, but I noticed it. I noticed that the feed truck arrived early, timed perfectly with my needing to pick up a few more things and my heart softened with gratitude because I was trying to tie up loose ends to prepare for this storm.

Then Father, I stopped by the bank to make a deposit. I was concerned for the tellers because the white out was roaring pretty strong and when I pulled up to the drive through window, she informed me that they would be closing the bank in a few minutes. I was glad because the ladies would be able to get back home before it got too bad, and I didn't fail to notice the fact that I arrived at the bank just minutes before it closed that day...another teeny tiny intervention by You...

And then Father, I had to stop at the grocery store to pick up a couple of things and ran into a family whose father builds car. I was already nervous about driving down my road to get back home because of the steep hills I have to climb. Usually in that kind of weather, it gets too slick and it's dangerous to travel. So, as I discussed with him which entrance he thought I should take, he explained to me not only what to do, but why it works better doing it that way...putting the truck into 4wdL and then putting the shift into 1st gear, causing the truck wheels to spin slower to gain better traction, etc etc etc...

The point is, every little concern that was on my heart and mind that day, I watched You gently and non-chalantly provide.

These may seem like little things to other people Father, but for me those little things really touch my heart and this is another reason that over time, I come to depend more and more on You as I experience Your provisions in the most obscure ways.

Even when I go grocery shopping Father, so many times these days I'll be in conversation as I shop, praying, "Jesus, what do You think? Should I get this or that? What else do I need", etc etc etc. It's just general conversation but it's an experience of not walking alone and having access to You at all times, in all ways and that's growing in my life, and I like that it's growing. The best part was I found myself making better choices that I was happy with and I got everything I wanted, and more...

As I made my way home that day I stopped at the gas station for something and while I was waiting in line, I saw that the lottery was up to $112 million. I remember thinking, "what should I do...buy one or not...you can't win if you don't mind and what's a couple of dollars lost, even if I don't win...I could do so much with that money...help so many people..."... I asked You, "is this ok?" and as I stepped up to the counter to pay, I asked the woman about getting a couple of tickets.

She informed me that the machine wasn't working and they couldn't sell any...

lolol

I'm still laughing at the answer to that quick, half hearted prayer lol. You are just too precious and I love You so much.

Bless this study again today Father God and all who read it.

p.s. I gave up trying to start the fire this morning the old girl scout way and resorted to lighter fluid again lol. Please bless this fire Father so that it will warm my home.

In Jesus Name I pray,

23. And they also, if they continue not in their unbelief, shall be grafted in: for God is able to graft them in again.

24. For if thou wast cut out of that which is by nature a wild olive tree, and wast grafted contrary to nature into a good olive tree; how much more shall these, which are the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?

Watchman Nee comments in verse 23 on the word "grafted" and states, "This will occur at the Lord's second coming, when all the remnant of the nation of Israel will repent and turn to believe in Him as their Messiah and be saved (Zech. 12:10; Rom. 11:26)."

the rvbv writes, "We know from a multitude of prophecies that Israel will not continue in unbelief! Thank God for this! They must, of course, see to believe. But Zechariah 12:10 declares that in a future day they shall "look on Him whom they pierced"; while the eighth and ninth verses of Zechariah's very next chapter say, that, while "two parts of the nation shall be cut off and die," the thired part shall be left, - "refined as silver" and "tried as gold is tried. They shall call on My name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is My people; and they shall say, Jehovah is my God."

"O earth, earth, earth, hear the word of the Lord!" - and not the false dreams of men that tell you "God is through with Israel forever." They make God a liar when they say that! For read Jeremiah 31:23-40: What does God mean otherwise than what He plainly says in that passage? (It is a blessed fact that God's real saints, the true Church, are coming more and more, daily, into the light, and back into the simple faith of the beginning. This is most especially evident in the attitude of true believers in their expectancy of the coming of the Lord - a spirit that characterized the early Church for 300 years! Nevertheless, what we say is true, as reads Isaiah: "Darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the peoples.") Thank God, that while the Gentiles are going into darker unbelief every day, there will be a spared Remnant of Israel!

Verse 24: Thou, a wild olive, grafted contrary to nature into a good olive tree - In the process of grafting we select a shoot of a fruit-bearing limb of a desierable tree, and opening the bark of an inferior tree of the same species, we insert the shoot, tying it in well. Then, behold, this inferior tree supplies sap to this good shoot, but the engrafted shoot goes on to bear its own good variety and class of fruit, and not that of the inferior tree. This is nature.

Now, the exact contrary has been wrought by God in taking us Gentiles (who, God says, are "by nature a wild olive tree"), and grafting us into the good olive tree to "partake of the root and of the fatness" of the tree of Divine blessing, - of the promises given to Abraham and to his Seed. Thus, behold instead of the natural process of the shoot's producing its own quality of fruit, we produce that "fruit unto God," which belongs to the good olive tree, and not to the wild olive Gentile tree!

Now if this contrary to nature process has been wrought by God, how much rather, how much more, shall the natural branches be grafted back into their own live tree? Of course, as Paul emphasizes in verse 13: "I am speaking to you that are Gentiles," - that is, to you 'as' Gentiles. Now in Christ, as Paul has plainly taught us elsewhere (Col. 3:11), "there cannot be Greek and Jew, circumcision and uncircumcision, barbarian, Scythian, bondman, freeman; but Christ is all and in all." Unless we clearly see that Paul in this chapter is not discussing Church truth, we shall become hopelessly mired. The apostle is not declaring here either the character, calling, destiny, or present privileges and walk of the Church, the assembly of God, the Body of Christ, the present house of God, the Bride for which the heavenly Bridegroom is coming, - none of these things.

The whole question in Romans Nine, Ten and Eleven is one of reconciling God's special calling and promises of Israel, the earthly people, with a gospel which sets aside that distinction, sets aside Israel's distinctive place for the present dispensation; and places the Gentiles in the place of direct Divine blessing, once enjoyed by Israel.

It is for this reason that Paul addresses us here as "Gentiles." (In discussing the heavenly calling of the church in Ephesians 2:11-15, Paul refers to us thus: "Remember that once ye, the Gentiles in the flesh, who are called "Uncircumcision" by that which is called "Circumcision," in the flesh, made by hands; that ye were at that time separate from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of the promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ jesus ye that once were far off are made nigh in the blood of Christ. For He is our peace, who made both one, and brake down the middle wall...having abolished in His flesh the enmity, the Law of commandments...that He might create in Himself of the two ONE NEW MAN, so making peace.

In the first part of Ephesians 2, we are seen "dead through our trespasses and sins," and are "made alive together with Christ, and raised up with Him and made to sit with Him in the heavenlies, in Christ Jesus"; but in the second part of the same chapter, our Gentile place as "far off," "aliens," is contrasted with the place of Israel, who were "nigh". But mark: God does not Himself recognize in Ephesians the distinction between circumcision and uncircumcision: He merely says that the Gentiles are 'called' "Uncircumcision" by that which is called "Circumcision". For the circumcision had become in God's sight uncircumcision. "For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly"; so that it is merely a distinction circumcised sinners made with regard to uncircumcised sinners. In the real fact, "There is no distinction (between Jew and Gentile), for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.)

Paul is claiming nothing for the Jewish believer as over against the Gentile believer, - in Romans Eleven. He even says to the Galatians: "I beseech you, brethern, become as I am, for I also am as ye are." But inasmuch as God had lodged His promises in Abraham and in his Seed ("which is Christ"), Paul in all faithfulness must not only tear up by the roots the Jewish hopes based on natural descent, and refer all to God's sovereign grace; but he must also tell us Gentiles the facts. Those eight wonderful points of advantage spoken of by Paul at the beginning of Chapter Nine as pertaining to Israel (and which still do pertain to them), he cannot allow us Gentiles to ignore, lest we come into a sense of personal importance (such as puffed up Israel), and say, Branches were broken off that we might be grafted in.

Now God did not, does not, make Israelites out of us Gentiles! He had a secret purpose kept from all the ages - of giving to His Son a Bride composed of Jewish and Gentile believers who should be received as mere guilty sinners, on purely grace grounds; and should have the highest calling of any creatures - to be members of Christ Himself, - a thing never promised to Israel.

While not speaking here of our heavenly calling in Christ, Paul yet must tell us plainly that Israel were the natural, earthly branches of the tree of promise, some of which, through their unbelief, were broken off. It is the matter of sharing Divine mercy, and not of the Christian calling, which is being discussed.

Let us ask ourselves, and frankly answer, these questions:

Did God once have a house on earth?

The answer must be, Yes.

Where? At Jerusalem, certainly. Our Lord at the beginning of His ministry called that temple "My Father's house"; and at the end of His ministry "My house"; and finally said to the blind leaders of Israel: "Your house is left unto you desolate."

Will God restore to Israel His earthly House?

He will, as we know, at Christ's coming back to earth. And we are told it will be upon Mount Zion in Jerusalem. See James' prophecy in Acts 15, quoted from Amost 9:11,12.

But meanwhile, between our Lord's absence in Heaven and His second coming, does God have a house?

We know that He does.

What is that house? Paul says that the Church (ekklesia) is now God's House. "But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how men ought to behave themselves in the house of God, which is the Church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth" (I Tim. 3:15). The house of God is the Church of the Living God. Here God the Holy Spirit dwells both in individual believers, Jew and Gentile; and also, in a corporate way, in the Assembly of God's saints.

This House was formed first on the day of Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit came down to dwell in those believers. And from thence: "From Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth? - "where two or three are gathered" in the name of Christ.

Will this Church or Assembly ever be connected with Israel?

In no wise! Christ has built His Assembly, the Church, and is building it. But He first broke down the middle wall of partition, "the Law of commandments, in ordinances" - the thing which differentiated Israel from Gentiles: and in which Israel gloried. From both Jewish and Gentile believers Christ is now creating ONE NEW MAN!

But whence do these blessings come?

From the promises made to Abraham! Abraham was the root, and from the promises to him comes the fatness.

But after the Church has been taken to Heaven, God will again bless Israel."

Heavenly Father,

I need to go back and re-read what I just typed above. It's so deep and rich and I'm only scratching the surface.

Help me get some things done around here today Father. I need to go through some things and pitch stuff, and that can be hard...whether it be because of memories I have associated with it, or concern that I might need it in the future...regardless, I just need to downsize so as I put on some Christian music and set down to wade through these things, be with me, and us.

In Jesus Name I pray,