Laundry Detergent

Rita

I have always bought my washing soda at Walmart. All of the sudden they no longer carry it! So, just out of curiosity and a bit of desperation, I went in search of something else I could substitute. I grabbed my Oxiclean and read the ingredient and guess what? It is basically the same thing! So, if you can't find the washing soda, the oxiclean works just the same and is great!

Oxiclean is turned into peroxide when it is wet. I don't know if that is the same as the washing soda or not. As far as I know, adding some bottled hydrogen peroxide will be the same.

I read the ingredients on those things to clean front loading machines. Same ingredient as Oxiclean. I got the generic stuff at the Dollar Tree and used it instead. The product is called Afresh, and one other brand for the washing machines. My front loader can really smell sometimes !

According to this the INCI is sodium carbonate.

Here is the MSDS for Oxy-clean: http://www.melrosechem.com/english/msd_eng/hs0853.pdf Ingredients are as follows; potasium hydroxide, sodium hydroxide, sodium hypocloride, chlorine based bleaching agents.

Here is oxi-clean; sodium carbonate, sodium percarbonate.

Rita, I got mine in the swimming pool supply area of Walmart. It is called soda ash and is WAY cheaper than buying it from Arm & Hammer.

GirlNextDoor;

Quick question. I add baking soda to the wash along with the detergent and fabric softner. So, would the soda ash do the same thing as adding the baking soda and be cheaper? I had read elsewhere that you have to be careful of using pool chemicals because they don't have to nor do they list all the ingredients included. Obviously what you use doesn't break down your clothes because you still use it. Just wondering.

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is not the same as washing soda (sodium carbonate) I add equal parts baking soda and sodium percarbonate to kill off odors because I am a groomer and it neutralizes the "wet dog" odor leaving the towels with no smell as opposed to a perfumey smell. I even wash my delicates with my detergent on the "hand wash" cycle. The only laundry "mishap" I have had is the dryer balls breaking a zipper on my favorite fuchsia hoodie. Bummer.

The ingredients are listed on the label. It's HTH brand Ph balancer.

I have always bought my washing soda at Walmart. All of the sudden they no longer carry it! So, just out of curiosity and a bit of desperation, I went in search of something else I could substitute. I grabbed my Oxiclean and read the ingredient and guess what? It is basically the same thing! So, if you can't find the washing soda, the oxiclean works just the same and is great!

I found the washing soda at Albertsons. In Los Angeles county.

Also I couldn't believe it when I found oxy-clean and a&h had paired up.

Edited by ROSARYCHAPLET
  • 1 year later...